Access Mulit users in form keep stumbling over each other

I've got a front end Access database that has the form and a backend
Accessdatabase that has the data.  I would like mulitple users to be able to
enter information into the form but they keep stumbling on each others work
when they are doing so.  My database is very simple, the table has 2 columns
one has the account number of customers and the other is where the workers
will fill in Yes or No.  The users open the form copy the account number,
enter it into a program, and review it.  If they account is positive for what
they are looking for, they mark yes or no and go onto the next record.  I've
tried changing the Record Locks on the form to "Edited Record" but since some
can go faster then other by the time one can get in to edit (so Access can
lock it) the Yes/No box, another user has gone in and changed it, then the
slow users form freezes up. Is there a way to lock the record that's
currently on the form so that other users can't get into it?

0
Whacks

1. Lock the table (All records) and there will only be one person allowed at
a time.

2. Use unbound forms which will allow records to be changed on when a record
is committed. It won't stop one user from over writing another.

3.  Add a column to the table (yes/no) that when checked, will keep anyone
from editing the record. Use a query that is requeried in the form's Current
event.

Select * From MyTable Where MyYesNoField = False

Now users won't even see the records that have already been edited and
locked.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Whacks" <u37603@uwe> wrote in message news:7887ae935a07b@uwe...
> I've got a front end Access database that has the form and a backend
> Accessdatabase that has the data.  I would like mulitple users to be able
> enter information into the form but they keep stumbling on each others
> work
> when they are doing so.  My database is very simple, the table has 2
> columns
> one has the account number of customers and the other is where the workers
> will fill in Yes or No.  The users open the form copy the account number,
> enter it into a program, and review it.  If they account is positive for
> what
> they are looking for, they mark yes or no and go onto the next record.
> I've
> tried changing the Record Locks on the form to "Edited Record" but since
> some
> can go faster then other by the time one can get in to edit (so Access can
> lock it) the Yes/No box, another user has gone in and changed it, then the
> slow users form freezes up. Is there a way to lock the record that's
> currently on the form so that other users can't get into it?

0
Arvin
9/21/2007 1:41:08 PM
thanks for answering Arvin but I guess I do have some questions

1. When you say Lock the table, what do you mean by that?  I went to the
properties of the table and didn't see a way to lock it.

2. So I start with a form that not attached to a table, but how do I "allow
records to be changed on when a record is committed"

3. got this part

Whacks
9/21/2007 4:15:04 PM
With the Database open go to Tools >>> Options >>> Advanced tab and set the
Default record locking to All Records. The form is unbound and can only be a
single form view (no subform) When you are done editing, you press a button
which runs an Update query, usually in code, to write the record back to the
table. Like:

Sub cmdUpdate_Click()
Dim strSQL As  String

strSQL = "UPDATE tblItem SET Cost = " & Me.Cost & ", ContractorID = '" &
Me.txtContractorID & "', EffectiveDate = '" & Me.txtEffectiveDate & "',
Where ItemID=" & lngItemID

CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

End Sub
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Whacks via AccessMonster.com" <u37603@uwe> wrote in message
> thanks for answering Arvin but I guess I do have some questions
>
> 1. When you say Lock the table, what do you mean by that?  I went to the
> properties of the table and didn't see a way to lock it.
>
> 2. So I start with a form that not attached to a table, but how do I
> "allow
> records to be changed on when a record is committed"
>
> 3. got this part

Arvin

user initials and auto correction
Hi, Can someone please help me with the following...? People usually type JD in the To: field when they want to send me an email via Outlook. After a recent addition and deletion of another account with the initials of JD I'm finding that it is default to this user - and it's not even trying to qualify the correct recipient with a list of possible users, like it does with other similar users. I would like it to ask for qualification and also default to my account. Any ideas anyone? Thanks, Joe "Joey D" <joeydocherty2404@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Can...

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

Get drive letter for old slave hard drive while keeping data
Hello, My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data? Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one, but sh...

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

Filling Web Form
Dear freinds Hello, I have written code in vc++ using MFC to fill the Webform using HTTP post method and I'm able to fill the form but I'm facing a problem that I'm unable to fill login name and password. So any one amongst you have any Idea or help then please help me With Regards Sachin ...

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

Add new record through Form view
I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command button which will add a new record to my table. On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table in a form. On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:11:01 -0800, Ranjith Kurian <RanjithKurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command >button which will add a new record to my table. >On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table >in a form. The Click event should show [Event Proced...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Outlook...screen saver keeps kicking on during active sessions
My screen saver keeps turning on when using Outlook. I can be in the middle of typing a email and it will constantly go to the screen saver picture. I have the screen saver set to activate after 15 minutes of inactivity. Why does this do this??? Are there other places to adjust?? ...

Trying to open the current db in Access 2010 through Access Basic
I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a long time. Through Access Basic coding, I use to be able to open the current database and then open a table and walk through each record. Now I can't even open the database. Does anybody have an example of how to do the following: 1) Open Workspace 2) Open Current Database (assume name is unknown during run time 3) Open specific table 4) Step through each record and access the fields George C. Derkacs <George C. Derkacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I haven't programmed in Access Basic in quite a lon...

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...

MS Access 2007, Forms
When using the "Forms Wizard", I need to use the "Style: Ricepaper", but it isn't available in the 2007 version and I have not been successful trying to find it in Office Online or on the web. Does anyone know where I can get it? Access 2007 has 25 AutoFormats, but as you noticed, they are virtually all new ones. It's actually nice to see that these were updated. To get the older Ricepaper style you could probably create a form in an earlier version of Access and then import it into your current database. If you're using the ACCDB file format, you would...

Where can I get a good holiday booking form for my golf business?
I need a quality Booking Form for my Golf Holiday business on the Costa Del Sol. One which includes sections for accommodation, dates, numbers, flight enquiries and car hire enquiries. Any help would be much appreciated on a tight budget. Thanks Dave Wrong forum. Try templates or doing it yourself. :-) -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Dave" wrote: > I need a quality Booking Form for my Golf Holiday business on the Costa Del > Sol. > One which includes sections for accommodation, dates, numbe...

stop default website of users pointing to the companyweb
Hi, I just migrated a W2K3 to SBS2008. How can I dissable the pointing all default websites of all users to the http://companyweb? everyone wants to have his own default website. Thanks Olaf Administrative Tools Group Policy Management Windows SBS User Policy User Configuration Windows Settings Internet Explorer Maintenance URLs Important URLs Home Page URL - remove http://companyweb Customise Home Page URL - remove tick Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz Question or...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

unable to link from Access to excel named range error 3011
I have a list of xl workbook names in an Access table. My code cycles through these names and finds them in a directory. This works flawlessly. Now I want to find and name ranges in the workbooks, and link to them from my Access db. The process works for the first 2, then fails on the 3rd. I don't see what's different about the 3rd tblName lclName CellTxt RngNm Active and Approved Pending Stores*.xls xlStores Location Code Stores Annualized Rent Batch*.xls xlExtras Store Number Extras ...

Giving Someone Access to Another Mailbox
I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to start sifting thru one of our executives email. What is the best way for this person to be able to see mailbox items? I would like to give this access via OWA only if possible and not neccessarily set it up on the client Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Which version of Exchange Server are you running? "mpallo" <mpallo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CCFB8C2-E2EC-40B7-A5F2-27D37E856ABE@microsoft.com... >I have a situation where one of our Admin Assistants is going to st...

how2 create identity column on contact form
how to use identity contact_id column on sql contactbase table, because i want to, auto increment id field with contactid The ContactId field is defined as a uniqueidetifier (ie. GUID). When you create records via the SDK calls, this value will be assigned for you automatically. I would not recommend going directly against the tables to create records. "tashtan" <mehmettastan@gmx.net> wrote in message news:e44cBjtoDHA.2868@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... how to use identity contact_id column on sql contactbase table, because i want to, auto increment id field with contactid ...

SQL Insert from Access
I have a query in access 2003 containing new patients that needs to be inserted into a SQL server 2005 table. This will be done once a month. ImportData contains the connection string. Can anyone finish the syntax or tell me a better way of doing this. Thanks in advance. Kurt =============================================================================================== Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection cnn.Open ImportData strSQL = "INSERT INTO dbo.tblPatients (PFirstName, PLastName, MedicalRecNumber,DOB,MRSNID,EmployeeID)" strSQL = strSQL & "SEL...

Accessing PST File from Multiple Partitions
The setup is a standard home Outlook 2003 configuration from an ISP's POP server. It has worked fine for years. I have the server configured to retain mail for a couple days, so that I can check the web interface from the office or from a laptop at the coffee shop even if the home machine is up and has pulled in Email, as it does every few minutes. Works fine. I recently put Windows 7 on the home machine, installing it on a separate partition. Eventually I would guess that it will be the standard OS on this machine, but for now it is experimental and the machine defaults to th...