Access Help 06-29-07

I am a completly new user to Access and I have been asked to create a
database for a big project we are working on. I am creating a form where a
user would have to select a catagory and after they select a drop down box,
below the radio button, would show a list associated with the selection. I
have no idea how to do this. can some one help me please??

Ex. Categories
A.
B.
C.
D.

When you click on A, a list shows up with job names.

I appreciate any help.

To be sure your tables are correct, you need:
TblJobCategory
JobCategoryID
JobCategory

TblJob
JobID
JobCategoryID
JobName
<Other job fields as needed>

I will presume the name of your form is FrmJob. Name your combobox
JobCategory. Create a query named QryJobList based on TblJob. Include JobID,
JobCategoryID and JobName in that order. Put the following expression in the
JobCategoryID field:
Forms!FrmJob!JobCategory
Create a listbox named JobList and set the rowsource to QryJobList. Set the
bound column to 1, column count to 3 and column width to 0;0;2. Add the
listbox to FrmJob.
Put the following code in the AfterUpdate event of your combobox:
Me!JobList.Requery

PC Datasheet
Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
Applications
resource@pcdatasheet.com

"Yula" <Yula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a completly new user to Access and I have been asked to create a
> database for a big project we are working on. I am creating a form where a
> user would have to select a catagory and after they select a drop down
> box,
> below the radio button, would show a list associated with the selection. I
> have no idea how to do this. can some one help me please??
>
> Ex. Categories
> A.
> B.
> C.
> D.
>
> When you click on A, a list shows up with job names.
>
> I appreciate any help.

0
Steve
6/29/2007 5:27:28 PM
Thank you Daniel, that was helpful. After a few tries I got it to work. I
Have another question, maybe you can help?

I have all the correct jobs showing when I select the category in the first
combobox,
how do I make the second combo box show all jobs associated with the
category All categories. In my query, I have a categoryID assocaited with all
jobs, but I can't have another ID for all the jobs to represent the All
category.

Thanks,
Yula

"Daniel" wrote:

> I would suggest using cascading combo boxes for your situation.
>
> Look at:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA011730581033.aspx?pid=CH063650361033
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Daniel P
>

> "Yula" wrote:
>
> > I am a completly new user to Access and I have been asked to create a
> > database for a big project we are working on. I am creating a form where a
> > user would have to select a catagory and after they select a drop down box,
> > below the radio button, would show a list associated with the selection. I
> > have no idea how to do this. can some one help me please??
> >
> > Ex. Categories
> > A.
> > B.
> > C.
> > D.
> >
> > When you click on A, a list shows up with job names.
> >
> > I appreciate any help.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:46:03 -0700, Yula
<Yula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am a completly new user to Access and I have been asked to create a
>database for a big project we are working on.

Similar situation here...

I have no construction experience, but I've been asked to
build a shopping center...
0
tbl

Missing the Multivalue lookup property in Access
I'm trying to create a multivalue lookup column in Access. The wizard doesn't give me the option to click the box to allow this like it should. How can I make this work? ...

Help...to many birthdays
I currently use Outlook 2000 as my contact manager. I have over 7000 contacts, most with birthdays in the birthday heading. My problem is that , when I pull up my calendar, all of the birthdays show on the calendar. There are some days when I'll get 30 birthdays showing up. Is there any way to configure the system so that the birthdays will not show up on the calendar view? Thanks for the help. Barry "Barry" <barryasman@verizon.net> wrote in message news:NKj5f.2794$fC3.1066@trndny01... >I currently use Outlook 2000 as my contact manager. I have over 7000 > ...

CRM Internet Access #2
Just by opening up port 443 and assigning an Certificate, I can access CRM from outside our Firewall. It gives me a domain login prompt and everything seems to work ok. So, why would I want to use the IFD? Not being an .net programmer I don't understand why - is a web form better for security? If someone can give me a simple explanation I would appreciate it. (btw, I've tried to configure using the IFD and I have about as frustrated as alot of other people seem to be. I think I got arounf the 401 error by SETSPN but I still can't get the signin.aspx to appear) Thanks Glen G...

HELP: Excel changed all my hyperlinks A:
Help For some reason Excel went and changed all my hyperlinks to point to my floppy drive a:\ -WHY? Is there any way I can automatically remove the a:\ hyperlink references, manually renaming is going to take ages. Excel's replace function doesn't seem to work with hyperlinks :-( -Arska Hello Arska, Have you tried find and replace? Press ctrl+h Find what: A:\ Replace with: C:\My Documents (assuming this is where the file you want to link) Then hit Replace All or if your using xl 2002 you can go to EDIT|links then hit change source Hope this could help Jon-jon "Ars...

Cannot access shared folders
Hi, We had a problem with the raid controller after a power failure. Swapped the controller and managed to start the server again. However I needed to reinstall SBS2003 and now I cannot access any shared foler except the users shared folder. Another ' funny' thing is that when i try to run the internet connection wizzard i get the message that this wizzard can only be run on a sbs machine. Users can login and acces there mailbox without anyproblem Any idea what went wrong? Thanks Johan Stuurman Okay shares are now working but still the internet wizzard is a pro...

No longer able to access Money
I had a problem accessing money and thought maybe I had a virus or something. My password just suddenly didn't work so I changed my microsoft passport to no avail. I changed it back to what it was. I'll be furious if this problem isn't fixed. I have about a years worth of stuff in Money and was just getting ready to use it to put together a budget, in addition to the fact that I haven't used my checkbook in months. I back up my money file to a seperate hard disk everyday, but it won't let me restore it. It give's me the same crap no matter what I do, "Your...

Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the spec
I have Outlook 2003 with SP1 and a fully patched install point. Any machines that have this current install gets a message when trying to view public folders from the folder views. "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The operation failed." Any suggestions? ...

Blank Screen without Summary in Outlook Today Help Please
When I open my outlook today I see my summary flash just for a milisecond and then the screen is blank except for the words for the messages, tasks and calendar. Help if you can. What can I do to correct this? Thanks Steve ...

Linked Tables 03-23-07
HiI have a database with 31 linked tables. Normally, when I go to linkto a new Back End, I go to the Linked Table Manager, click Alwaysprompt for new location, click Select All, and click OK. It lets mebrowse to my backend file, and it links them all in one go.Now, it is asking me to browse for each individual table. 31 timesover!!Why is this?It is very tiresome, & totally unworkable for the user.Stapes...

Updating a listbox 05-25-07
I'm having trouble refreshing a listbox. The following is are messages that I would like some follow-up on if anyone can help. Thanks. Kcrad This looks great - the only problem is that the list box row source property forces me to use a Table/Query, a Value list or a Field list. Is there another way to place the code in the list box other than the properties box? "Klatuu" wrote: > You are going about this the hard way. Rather than building and running > query which really does nothing since it is only the row source for the list > box, manipulate the list ...

Chart help
I have a chart that shows sales data for each company that has done work for us by month for the past year. Problem is that if there were no sales for that company for a given month, that month dosn't show in the graph. What I need to show is a graph by company for every month with a 0 sales total for that month if there were no sales. I know I could just go through and put in a zero sale for each company for any month that they did not have a sale, but... I seem to remember that there is a setting that will do this for me. Can someone tell me if I am corect and where this setting is? ...

Access Database CRecordset problem
Hello, I have an MFC application that uses a MS Access database. I declare a CDatabase object and pass a connection string. The database Opens OK. I declare two recordset objects, and the two recordsets Open OK. I pass a NULL value, when I open the two recordsets. The problem occurs, when I try to open a second Access database. The second database has the same schema, but different data. Steps : 1. Close the two recordsets. 2. Close the database object. 3. Open the database object with new connection string -OK 4. Examine the database name with GetDatabaseName method - OK 5...

general questions.. please help
can i know normally do people convert text files to xml format? how can we do to convert data from text files to xml? is it possible? to generate xml from jsp is it done automatically or manually? thanks in advance! appreciate if there are any links helpful... thanks all of u! jeremy *-----------------------* Posted at: www.GroupSrv.com *-----------------------* Hello Jeremy, > can i know normally do people convert text files to xml format? not normally by hand, but it can be done. Doing it with a program is better. > how can we do to convert data from text files to x...

Help! COUNTIF and SUMPRODUCT are eating my brain!
This *should* be easy, I guess, but I keep getting errors where I canno see a problem with my formula (Tho' admittedly I'm by no means an Exce expert). Here's my task: I have column G labeled "Tasks" and the cell values are either "Open" "Closed", "Cancelled", or blank. Then I have column L labeled "Name and the cell values are, of course, names. I'm simply trying to come u with a formula that will tally the tasks that are "Open" and of those how many are assigned to "Smith". After fruitless attempts using COUN...

Access crashes on save/preview
I am having a problem with Access. Whenever I am in 'Design Mode' in a Report, Access crashes when I click Save or try to Preview the report. There is not an error message. I have to restart Access. What interesting is that I can go to the Query and it will run fine. Then, I go to the 'Reports' and double click my report and it will run perfectly. But when I go into Design mode from viewing the report, the program crashes if I make a change and try to save or simply hit the 'Preview' button the program crashes. What do you guys think? I really need some help here. A...

IM 10 Help
Hi, Need some help with IM 10 that came with GP 10 BE. I have tried following examples and manuel. Trying get vendor file in. 1. I have created a new intergration. 2. Added a new defined source. It is a comma delimited file. I give source a name. Browse and select file. Tell it is comma delimited and first row holds field names. Goto next tab "Columns". See all my source field names. 3. Add the Dynamics Vendor Destination. 4. go to mapping. the fields look ok. Two rules have source and rest have default. It will not let me change the rule drop down. So only those two rows can s...

email without full web access to employees
Please help! Can I let employees send and receive email without allowing full web access to them? ...

total VC newbie: a simple dialog box
*I only need a single word from user*, and my program hasn't main window. Well, I'm surrounded with books and tutorials, API, SDK, MSDN&KB, from VC++ for dummies to Petzold & lotsa stuff, but I still can't do such a simple thing!!! I'm with VC 6.0, Windows XP. I'll try to format my questions: 1) Is it complicated/unnessesary to do this manually? If not, what should I write? 2) Automated resourse production - what do I do with all those add/insert instruments? 0) I'd like to do it without use of MFC, does it make the "goal" (yes, laugh at me) more/les...

Receiving email (Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
When im half way through receiving a list of emails I loose my internet connection, as I have a dodgy phone line. I then have to press send and receive again because obviously I get an error on outlook express and when I click send and receive it starts from the begining of the list again. This has been going on for months now and ive got a list of about 11000 emails waiting to come through. Any ideas on what I should do? Is there any way of each time you click send and receive it starts from where it got upto last time e.g 30 0f 11000? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Steve ...

Help creating updateable query

Adding a split form to a tabbed page access 2007
I am trying to add the new split form in Access 2007 to a form with a tabbed control. I am able to place the subform on the correct tab page but when I view the main form and access the tab page the split is not visible, just the detail section. However, if I open the subform by itself I see the split and both the datasheet and the detail. Is there a setting that I am missing. Or should I add two subforms and skip the new feature in access? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Shaun ...

Contacts Panel Missing! Help?
Version Outlook Express 6.0 In the left hand column, the only panel I have is "Folders." How can I make the "Contacts" column also appear on the left hand side? I've tried everything (properties, views, etc.) Thanks in Advance, Christine Check things out under the View menu > Layout command. Please note: This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.publi...

Email Tracking 06-12-07
We're having problems with inbound email not tracking in CRM. I've verified out setup based on the implementation guide (install location, server side rule, users set to accept all unsolicited emails, etc...) and inbound emails don't get tracked in CRM. We have tracking tokens off. When I log into the CRM mailbox, the majority (99%) of the emails forwarded end up in unresolved. Anyone else having problems with inbound email tracking? Anyone actually have inbound email tracking working? Hi, We had a problem similar to this and found that for some reason things weren'...

Can't access Report Server
I've installed SQL Server 2008 (dev) on my XP box and am trying to get Reporting Services working. According to the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, the URL is: http://jay:8080/ReportServer_MSSQL2008 However, I have not been able to get the app to come up as there is either a permission issue, or connection problem. I've tried granting share access to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQL2008\Reporting Services\ReportManager folder and I've tried adding port 8080 to the allowed list in the firewall. "Jay" <spam@nospam...

Windows blue screen of death
Hi all - thanks for reading. Quite some valuable insight you guys have. Here is my issue in a nutshell: My associate at work got the Conficker worm and affected everyone on our network. The same night I ended up with the blue screen of death. Reinstalled Windows that same evening (did not f/disk, just regular installation) and my Office 2003 would not load up properly. I reinstalled Office 2003 in a separate folder to preserve my Outlook contacts, emails etc. Now, I tried to import the old Outlook files into the new Office 2003 install - no luck!! The "old" files t...