Access 2007 Ribbon Programming

Hi All,

Sorry if my previous posting's sounded like a reason to vent my frustration,
but to put things straight I like the Ribbon concept and as a person that
likes to talk to other knowlegable people including Access MVP's with which
I believe I have complimentary experience (29 years in software development
of all types from Assembler to Cobol to Fortran to Pascal on various O/S's
and Windows C, C++, SQL Windows, Borland Delphi & C++, all Oracle products
before 2000, all Microsoft Office products since 1990 including Access since
1.00 both mdb's and adp's, and RDBM's SQL Server, Oracle, Ingres even the
Poet ODBMS).

It is just that I feel the implementation of Ribbon management in A2007,
whilst in itself clever, is half baked, and in order to overcome the issues
we are forced to write less than robust code.

Imagine what my users are going to think when after a application error they
click on a Ribbon button and get the message "Object not initialized (or
something similar)".

Here are some of the other issues that I would like to highlight:

1)      You change the XML for a Ribbon, and if it is already loaded, you
can't just reload it be recalling the Application.LoadCustomUI method, it
fails with a Ribbon already loaded error, so you have to exit the
application and start again.

2)      Debugging the Ribbon using the Access Debug utility, which isn't as
smart as the .NET version, is a pain. Your stepping through some code
wondering why your button hasn't been disabled as intended and all the
callbacks fail meaning, you guessed it, all your variables, collections and
classes have been re-initialised. So you have to exit the application and
start again.

      Ok so we have to use a non-invasive debugging technique such as
Debug.Print. Do Microsoft realise what the implications of this are?  You
can nolonger properly debug a form or report that involves a Ribbon callback
unless you use Debug.Print, comment out all actions that may call a Ribbon
callback, or are confident that an Access error will not affect the code
that you are debugging.

3)      The timing of callbacks in relation to the active Access object that
triggered them is also problematic. I've tried disabling a Ribbon button in
the Load/Open/Activate and Current form events using the screen.activeform
or report property and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't due to
the fact that the active property is often still pointing at the previously
active Access object, therefore you are forced to use a global variable set
when you first open the object so that the callback knows which Access
object to call back into. You then must maintain this object reference in
every form/report and reset it when that becomes the active object.

4)      I would like to use less Ribbons by sharing them amongst like
functionality within forms/reports but again then you have the problem of
maintaining Ribbon state and resetting the state when each form/report
becomes active.

This may be acceptable if you only have one or two Ribbons, but when you
have lots of Ribbons it means I am going to spend an inordinate amount of
time cutting code for every form/report just to manage the Ribbon.

Frankly I just think there must be a better way.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth of frustration.

Kind Regards,

Guy

0
Guy

How to create a username and password in Access
I have created a database with all the functionalities in it. I am now interested in creating a username and password to allow administrative staff to access it. On 18 May, 14:41, How to create a username and password in <How to create a username and password i...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have created a database with all the functionalities in it. I am now > interested in creating a username and password to allow administrative staff > to access it. What version of Access are you using? www.keithwilby.co.uk On Tue, 18 May 2010 06:41:01 -0700, How t...

Parameter query in Access 2003 report
I want to create a parameter query that asks the user to select one, many, or all values from a field when opening a report. I would like the selection to be available from a list, radio box, or pull down menu to minimize spelling errors, etc. Unfortunately the list is of names which number about 100. Can this be done? If so, could someone please point me to the help pages that describe this process? My solution seems clunky but it is the only way I can see how to do it. Any suggestions as to how else might I best approach this? Thanks in advance Debbie See my sample database that shows ...

Access Denied 04-22-04
you have to add the Domain User group to ability to access the SQL DB, not only while attached to the domain but when you are not, the Database have to be synchronized... ...

Replacement hard drive problem/ account access
Hi there, This is my first post so please be gentle! My family computer is an old Dell Inspiron and for a while its been very slow, then it stopped booting alltogether. The problem turned out to be the hard drive was degenerating so we bought a new one, installed it and kept the old one as the F drive so that we could access all the old files. My brother then reinstalled windows onto the machine. So far so good. Until I tried to access my old files. My old user account was password protected and Im assuming that this is the problem as when I try to get into it I get F:...

Intermittent fault when using outlook web access
This fault is intermittent and occures when we try and access our e-mails across the internet using the outlook web access. Most of the time there is no problem, then another time we cannot gain access to the exchange server. The most recent happened today. Everything was fine yesterday, we restarted the server where we tried dialing in from this morning and now we cannot access E-mail. All the exchange services are running on both servers. Any ideas? Try posting to an Exchange group as Outlook Web Access is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin i...

abnormal program termination
Am experiencing a nagging problem with a windows 98 system running outlook 2000 and exchange 5.5. When outlook is started, the following error immediately shows up: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! Office\Outlook.exe Abnormal Program Termination" The only option is to select "ok", after which outlook ends up closing. Logging on as someone else and starting outlook doesn't trigger this problem, it only occurs with one user profile. I've tried reinstalling outlook, however, the same issue happens. One thing i've noticed about the user ...

Accessing Outlook from the Road
Once I have web access can I get to Outlook to check my e- mail when traveling? Do I need both Outlook and Outlook Express to do this? I've check two manuals and spent way too much time searching Microsoft sites and found no guidance on this matter. Any help you can offer is appreciated. If your Outlook is accessing a corporate Exchange server, and they've configured Outlook Web Access (OWA), then point your browser, not Outlook, to the external address of the corporate web server which is hosting the OWA. We use "http://mail.mycompany.com/exchange". If none of...

running a Macro in 2007 which was created in 2003
Hi there, I hope you can help, I am not VB literate unfortunately but I am trying to run a macro with the following line of code which creates an error: LastRow = Master_Wksht.Range("N" & Rows.Count).End(xlup).Row Is there a change between versions which means this line won't work any more? Simon, That line is fine in E2007 provided you have 'SET' Master_Wksht but if you hadn't done that it wouldn't have run in earlier versions of Excel Set Master_Wksht = Sheets("Sheet1") What have you dimmed LastRow as it should be long. ...

Calling WinXps built in Keyboard in my program.
How can i call the built XP Keyboard in my program? ...

Publisher Ribbon
How come there isnt a ribbon for Publisher 2007? Is that just because its sitll in Beta or is Office 2007 going to butchered up. -- David Dave wrote: > How come there isnt a ribbon for Publisher 2007? Is that just because its > sitll in Beta or is Office 2007 going to butchered up. It was a choice between either adding a Ribbon or adding useful new features. Adding a Ribbon between the beta and the release version would be a ridiculous proposition. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org What is a "Ribbon"? don "Ed Bennett" <the_ne...

Migrating from MS Access
Hi I have this query, which I need to make work in MS SQL Server select job.[CAM File],FIRST([material]), FIRST(job.[description]), FIRST(job.[programmer]) from job where job.[CAM file] <> '' group by job.[cam file] order by 3 The "first" is my problem. I can translate most of into select job.[CAM File] from job where job.[CAM file] <> '' group by job.[cam file]) Now I need to add the first row - for each cam file - how? Next, I need to read something like this: select top 1 job.[CAM File], job.[material], job.[description], job....

Access 2007 ControlSource code in Report causing shut down
The following code worked successfully in Access 2002 & 2003 but for some reason, the lines that contain ControlSource are causing Access 2007 to shut down and error out. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. In short, I’m using a combo box on a form “ReportCenter” to change the GroupLevel and textbox values on a report. If I comment out the lines with ControlSource the code runs successfully, if any one of them are uncommented, Access 2007 shuts down and restarts. 'Group 1 If Forms![ReportCenter]!T2GroupCheck1 = True And Forms![ReportCenter]!T2GroupDescendC...

URL Access, weird behavior
We are using URL access to a report server and it does work,but here is the issue: On first run, if I use the following URL: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Reportserver?/MyReporting/All+Employees&rs:Command=Render&rs:Format=HTML4.0&rc:Toolbar=false&rc:Parameters=true&dbName=MyDatabase - It works fine. The report renders, but the toolbar isn't viewable. Then if I run the same URL, in the same browser, except change the toolbar=true, it works fine and the toolbar is viewable. However, if I close all my browsers, open a new browser, paste in the original...

Accessing Fidelity mySmart Cash Bank Accounts
I recently opened a new Fidelity MySmart Cash checking account, but when I set Money 2006 up to download transactions, it gets added in the Investments category. I would like to find a way, however, for it to be listed separately, as a checking account under Bank Accounts, separate from my investment account with Fidelity. Is there a way to do this? In microsoft.public.money, Igzabether wrote: >I recently opened a new Fidelity MySmart Cash checking account, but when I >set Money 2006 up to download transactions, it gets added in the Investments >category. I would like to fin...

assing macro to an an image, shape, text in Word 2007
I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a text is clicked in Word 2007 document. Thanks, Use an ActiveX control, as they have a _Click event. Lev wrote: >I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a >text is clicked in Word 2007 document. >Thanks, -- Gerry Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-programming/201004/1 Another method is to insert a MacroButton field and paste the image into the field code where the display text would be. See http://www.word...

I open 2007 file, it opens as .ppt (2003) read only
When I open up my 2007 files .pptx by double-clicking on it, it opens as a ..ppt (Read Only) (Compatibility Mode). I then have to do a "save as" 2007 file. However, when I open it by doing file-open - it opens as a 2007 file. Does anyone know why yhis happens and if there is a preference I can set to have them open as 2007 files when I double-click on it? Thanks in advance! -- Marc One solution would be right clicking the file and selecting properties and going to the " General" tab and changing the program it uses to open as a default(i am not aware...

How To Align Decimals In A PP 2007 Table
I have financial data with one decimal point where I want to align to the decimal point in a PowerPoint table. How do I select the full column and align to the decimals? Thanks! (B^>)-]=[ You can't. I've asked for this feature ever since about PowerPoint 2000, but it's still not there. Frustrating. You have to do this individually in each cell. Basically, choose the decimal tab option to the left of the ruler, then add a tab (Ctrl+Tab) before the text in each cell as necessary. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT ...

Looking For Email Program
I'm looking for a free or low cost program to send emails to all of of my customers at the same time, instead of one at a time. I run a home business and am looking for a good way to keep my customers informed via email...either with reminders or a monthly newsletter. Any suggestions? Thanks! Scott I thought you got a satisfactory answer in the XP General newsgroup that you multiposted to? Multiposting vs Crossposting: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Scott" <...

Send button no longer on Message ribbon after reinstall
I recently had to reinstalling Office 2007 Professional RTM after the secondary (i.e. non-boot) hard drive suffered partial MFT corruption. I was able to uninstall Office 2007 successfully before fixing the drive and reinstalling the same version of Office from the same source discs. After reinstalling, I noticed that the Send button no longer appears on the Message ribbon like it used to. It used to be located where the Clipboard in now located on the Message ribbon. Now it only appears in the message itself, next to "To", "Cc", and "Bcc". After search...

MS Outlook 2007 mis-type exchange criteria
I have evidently mistyped some data for MS Outlook when setting up an exchange account during a new install. The application completed the first run of the install but when it restarted it can not get past the splash for Configuring Outlook. I do get a sign in dialog box but entering the user id and pw only errors pop up until the app closes down, There seems to be no way to get back into the account set up screens or anything else for that matter to try to correct the problem. I have uninstalled the suite and re-installed but evidently some of the original reg information is ret...

Microsoft Word Table design in Access 2007
Is there a method for inserting a table (not an access table, but a word table with columns/rows/header, etc...) in a description field in a form or below the description field? I'm creating a database for development business rules and sometimes a business rule needs a table to explain or identify the heirarchy/relationship of items for the rule. I don't want this to link to anything else but the Business Rule ID that I am currently in. Thanks in advance! You could use a memo field but the data will not be separated by grid lines. You would need to add spacing and ...

Exchange 2007/spam/windows mobile
I have just installed Exchange Server 2007 and have moved a couple of mailboxes over to it for testing. I am using the Anti-spam built into EX2007. When a mailbox receives spam, it goes to the Junk Mail folder in Outlook, but it is hitting the Inbox first. I have a Windows Mobile device setup to sync to the Inbox (I checked to make sure that the Junk Email folder is not selected and it is not). I have 2 different problems, but I believe they both are related. The first... when the spam message hit my mailbox, they are first hitting my inbox real quick and then being moved the Junk ...

Exchange 2007
Hallo. we have enabled recipient filtering for our organization as we are requested to reject with a SMTP connection error messages addressed to non existent recipients as follows: EMC - Organization Configuration - Hub Transport - Anti-spam - Recipient Filtering enabled Block messages sent to recipients not listed in the GAL Still, if I telnet on port 25 I get a 250 2.1.5 Recipient OK message to a RCPT TO:non_existent_user@mydomain.com We have 2 Exchange 2007 SP1 servers: both are HubTransport+ClientAccess+Mailbox+UnifiedMessaging Exch1 is Windows Server 2003 Ent R2 SP2 ...

Excel2003 vs 2007 ... :(
Excel2003 vs 2007 ... I have many Templates, charts etc created in Excel2003 & many have Recorded Macro's attached to Forms Buttons ... These Temps work perfect in Excel2003 ... I think they may also work in Excel2007??? However .... Issue is ... some folks have Excel2003 (WindowsXP) while others who update these Files have Windows7 (Excel2007) ... We often end up with File corruption or Excel has encountered an error & must close ... etc etc ... when attempting to work these Files between the 2 Office Systems & 2 Excels .... very disenchanting. We have use...

2003 charts don't format to page size in 2007. any suggestions
I have numerous charts created in Excel 2003 that are formatted to print very legibly on 8-1/2 x 11. Excel 2007 does not seem to make any proportional adjustments base on paper size, resulting in a long flat chart that is not legible because the print is too small. Any suggestions on how to modify the ratios. Clicking on print options "print on 1 page high by 1 page wide" has no effect. the height and width ratios do not change at all as they did in 2003. ...