WTF Access 2000/2002 ---> .DBF (v3) never works in dBase III Plus?

Hi Gang,
I am at my wits end.  I've tried the following programs to export a table
and get it to wind up in true dBase III format:
1.  MS Access 2000
2.  MS Access 2002
(Evidently Microsoft felt that "Access" was a matter of preference and
anticompetiveness)
3.  Lotus Approach 9.0
4.  Corel Quatro Pro 7
5.  Borland Paradox 4.0

None of them actually create a dBase III file that dBase III Plus v1.1 will
recognize.  However if I take a file I created in dBase III and try to open
or work with that, it of course works fine.  So my first, last, and only
question, is why in the hell provide an option in one's application for
something it really truly can't do?

Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

0
Christian

Hi Christian,

If *none* of these programs do the job then it seems unlikely to be a
problem with Access, but rather something more general on your system.

1) What actual error messages are you getting from dBASE III when you
try to open a file created by one of the other programs?

2) dBASE III does not know about long file names. Try creating the .dbf
file with a short (8.3) name in a short path, e.g. "C:\Temp\Table1.dbf"

3) Create a simple table in dBASE III and populate it with a couple of
records, and then create a table in Access with the exact same fields
and records and export it to dbf v3. What differences are there when you
view the two files in a hex editor?

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
5/21/2004 5:20:41 AM
Hi John,

> Hi Christian,
>
> If *none* of these programs do the job then it seems unlikely to be a
> problem with Access, but rather something more general on your system.

No honestly it is a problem with Access and all of these other programs.
They must be allowing certain characters into the the database fields that
are in fact illegal.  There is nothing wrong with my copy of dBase III it
continues to work find on native tables and has for ~3 years.

> 1) What actual error messages are you getting from dBASE III when you
> try to open a file created by one of the other programs?

When I type in "use NV"  it responds "Not a database".  However when I type
in use CStock or use Nevada (two native dBase III databases they both work
fine).  If I type dir though it will list Cstock, Nevada, and NV (my access
exported table) listing the correct number of rows for each.  However, only
the native files will actually work if I try to load one of them.

> 2) dBASE III does not know about long file names. Try creating the .dbf
> file with a short (8.3) name in a short path, e.g. "C:\Temp\Table1.dbf"

That is not the problem, but it was a very good guess.  The file I'm using
is "NV.DBF" which fits within the 8.3 format by a considerable margin.

> 3) Create a simple table in dBASE III and populate it with a couple of
> records, and then create a table in Access with the exact same fields
> and records and export it to dbf v3. What differences are there when you
> view the two files in a hex editor?

That's a good suggestion, I will have to do that.

Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

> <Christian_Blackburn@Damn.Spam@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Gang,
> >I am at my wits end.  I've tried the following programs to export a table
> >and get it to wind up in true dBase III format:
> >1.  MS Access 2000
> >2.  MS Access 2002
> >(Evidently Microsoft felt that "Access" was a matter of preference and
> >anticompetiveness)
> >3.  Lotus Approach 9.0
> >4.  Corel Quatro Pro 7
> >5.  Borland Paradox 4.0
> >
> >None of them actually create a dBase III file that dBase III Plus v1.1
will
> >recognize.  However if I take a file I created in dBase III and try to
open
> >or work with that, it of course works fine.  So my first, last, and only
> >question, is why in the hell provide an option in one's application for
> >something it really truly can't do?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Christian Blackburn
> >

> --
> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>
> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

0
Christian
5/21/2004 9:37:10 PM
Hi

In addition to all the good points from John, make sure field names do not
exceed 10 characters (limit imposed by dbIII), and no spaces or special
characters.

> 3) Create a simple table in dBASE III and populate it with a couple of
> records, and then create a table in Access with the exact same fields
> and records and export it to dbf v3. What differences are there when you
> view the two files in a hex editor?

The above is definitely a good suggestion, but to do this test, avoid using
numeric fields. Just create a table in dbIII with one or two text fields,
and do the same in Access.

HTH,
Immanuel Sibero

"Christian Blackburn" <Christian_Blackburn@Damn.Spam@Hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:OTXLjt3PEHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > >2.  MS Access 2002
> > >(Evidently Microsoft felt that "Access" was a matter of preference and
> > >anticompetiveness)
> > >3.  Lotus Approach 9.0
> > >4.  Corel Quatro Pro 7
> > >5.  Borland Paradox 4.0
> > >
> > >None of them actually create a dBase III file that dBase III Plus v1.1
> will
> > >recognize.  However if I take a file I created in dBase III and try to
> open
> > >or work with that, it of course works fine.  So my first, last, and
only
> > >question, is why in the hell provide an option in one's application for
> > >something it really truly can't do?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Christian Blackburn
> > >

> > --
> > John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
> >
> > Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

Immanuel

Where is Microsoft Publisher 2002?
Microsoft Publisher 2000 was included in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I can't find Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP). Did Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP) have to be purchased separately? If it is part of the Office XP bundle how do I load it. Not all versions of Office are the same as other versions - just like the different editions vary. You need to read the box to make sure you are getting what you need - or to see what program are included. Pub 2002 had to be purchased separately because it wasn't included with any retail s...

My hide sheet option in excel is not working
My hide sheet option in Excel is not working. It is grayed out so I can not toggle nor use it to hide or unhide sheets. Security is at Medium - would appreciate any insight into how to fix this. Is the sheet protected? You cannot hide a protected sheet. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "arleen" <arleen @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D028B90F-6DDB-4DE6-9F5C-22C137FBE927@microsoft.com... > My hide sheet option in Excel is not working. It is grayed out > so I can not > toggle n...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

making an equation in access
Hi, I would like to create a field that works out a formula based on other fields. i.e field z=field4, when field 1<field 2 - field 3 etc. Yes, it may be a silly question but I am only new to this....Thanks, Dani. Dani, recommend against creating a "field" in a table and storing this value. One of the generally accepted rules of relational database development is not to store a "computed" (any value that is based on the value of other fields in your database) value in the table. It is a waste of database space, and will eventually result in bad data (...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Outlook 2002 SP3- Runtime Error when opening Outlook
I'm getting a runtime error- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library / Program C:/Program Files/ microsoftoffice/ office10 /outlook.exe. This App has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. This only happen the first time I open Outlook for the day. It shuts down, then I can reopen it and all is fine. I have try to debug it and the detect & repair option in the help tab. Any help is Appreciated! ...

Conversion from Outlook 2000 to 2003
Currently using Outlook 2000. I am planning on getting a new computer and it will have Outlook 2003 contained on it. How do I save my "data" files (active as well as archive) so I can resume using them with my new computer? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Have a great day, except you spammers To email, remove the obvious ....... On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:10:00 -1000, Les <lester123_nospam@att.net> wrote: > Currently using Outlook 2000. I am planning on getting a new computer > and > it will have Outlook 2003 contained on it. How do I save my "data&qu...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

Covert v. 2000 -> v. 2.0

Print Vertical Banner in Pub 2000
Is it possible to print a vertically oriented banner with Publisher 2000? I have made many horizontally oriented banners, and would like to attempt a vertically oriented one. Any tips? Help... ...

smtp connector restriction not working
Dear all Does anyone know how to debug smtp connector , Lately i configure smtp connector restriction , but it only work for one minute while i restart the smtp virtual server, after one minute , it seems that the restriction not working , so somebody help me to solve this problem,thanks. Chester Huang Chester: Which restriction are you talking about? Message size? Content Restrictions? Delivery times? Delivery restrictions? -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Web: http://www.somorita.com "Chester" <chesterh@aserve.com.tw>...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

Outlook Web Access HTTP 500 and HTTP 404 errors
hi, I am experiencing this problem on Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003, when the users try to authenticate to Outlook Web Access, they get the following error messages in their browsers, "http 500 - internal server error" or "http error 404 - file or directory not found", the customer upgraded to windows/exchange 2003 6 months ago from windows/Exchange 2000 (in place upgrade), they only discovered the problem last week when they tried creating new users, i created 3 test users and the 3 users were getting the above errors. some already existing users have no prob...

"me." doesn't work
I write a lot of VBA. I find it very useful to start lines referring to the object I'm writing with "me." so that I can get the list of properties and methods. In the project I'm currently working on, this has suddenly stopped working. I type "me." and nothing happens. I can't figure out if I've accidentally disabled a feature or something like that. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks much in advance. "accesswanabe" <accesswanabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6B82001-53C9-4932-9BA5-D9D6B454DE1B@microsoft.c...

Outlook 2002 #134
Outlook 2002 worked well on my XP pro machine - then MS sent us the new software pack and I installed Outlook 2003 - I can't remember why, but I couldn't make any sense of 2003, uninstalled it, re-installed 2002 and since then I can't do a 'send and recieve all' - I am reduced to doing a send and recieve on each account individually and have been for a few months. This also means i can't do an automatic send and recieve. When i do 'send and recieve all' i get the error message "operation failed". HELP! ...

Rounded Corners in Excel 2007 Not Working?!?!
Hi, I can't get rounded corners to work in Excel 2007: I make a chart I right click on Char Area I Select Format Chart Area A Dialogue Box Pops Up with the following Selections: - Fill - Border Color - Border Styles - Shadow - 3-D Format I select fill and fill the chart area with a color .. say blue I right click on chart area again and this time select Border Styles and the following options are available: - Width - Compound Type - Cap Type (drop down menu) - Join Type (drop down menu) - Arrow Settings I click Cap Type and a drop down menu appears with the following options: - Squa...

Pub2K Help does not work
I have Pub2K. Recently I've updated my Office 2K with SP1 and, I think, SP3 (whatever was available on MS site). Today, I noticed that Help in Publisher does not work. Every time I try to see Help, I'm getting this Internet Explorer Script Error Message: <An error has occurred in the Script on this page. Line 1, Char 1, Error: Object doesn't support the property or method, Code 0, URL mk: @MSITStore:C:/Program...> What's going on? Did Office update caused this problem or something else is a culprit? How can I get Pub2K Help work again? Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. Hel...

Unable to connect Office 2003 to SBS Exchange 2000
I have two new XPSP2 workstations with Office 2003 but when after configuring them for the Exchange server I get one of three errors: a) on a profile migrated from an existing workstation (whose Office 2000 still works) Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. b) on a new profile using Cached Exchange Mode Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file. c) on a new...