The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.

This morning I encountered an unusual and scary problem.
While trying to open one of our databases I recieved this error.

The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.
This database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft Access by
using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database command
on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu).  This has left the database
in a partially converted state.
If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert
Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to convert
it.  If the the original database is no longer available, create a new
database and import your tables and queries to perserve your data.  Your
other database objects can't be recovered.

I have checked with other users.  No one tried do anything out of the
ordinary this morning.  I did however update my system with the latest
Windows XP Professional update.  I don't think that has anything to do with
it??

I have tried compact/repair, linking and importing to a new database,
nothing works.  Does anybody have any ideas how I might recover this
database.  No backup of course.  I know, not very smart.  Any help would be
very much appreciated.
Gary A. Hollenbeck
Production Manager
The Door Stop


0
Gary
5/19/2004 6:56:23 PM
access.conversion 3037 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1907 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 11

Several possibilities:

If the database was open at the time of the update to XP Pro and the main
database resides on that machine or a machine that had the database open and
you rebooted the machine after the update, then this message is most likely
from that action.

One of the other users tried something and stopped the action to put the
database in this state. I am always leery when the users claim they didn't
do anything. One possibility is they had the database open and their machine
was shutdown incorrectly and not shutting down the database first. Trust,
but verify; as Ronald Reagan always said.

Last, but not least. Neither of the above was the culprit and actions on
your database were running under normal operations and some rogue code
within the database decided to fail.

"Gary A. Hollenbeck" <gary@cabinetdoors.com> wrote in message
news:%23%23$ECNdPEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> This morning I encountered an unusual and scary problem.
> While trying to open one of our databases I recieved this error.
>
> The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.
> This database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft Access
by
> using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database
command
> on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu).  This has left the
database
> in a partially converted state.
> If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert
> Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to convert
> it.  If the the original database is no longer available, create a new
> database and import your tables and queries to perserve your data.  Your
> other database objects can't be recovered.
>
> I have checked with other users.  No one tried do anything out of the
> ordinary this morning.  I did however update my system with the latest
> Windows XP Professional update.  I don't think that has anything to do
with
> it??
>
> I have tried compact/repair, linking and importing to a new database,
> nothing works.  Does anybody have any ideas how I might recover this
> database.  No backup of course.  I know, not very smart.  Any help would
be
> very much appreciated.
> Gary A. Hollenbeck
> Production Manager
> The Door Stop
>
>


0
GVaught
5/19/2004 8:07:33 PM
I certainly appreciate your response but is there any possible way I may be
able to recover from this?

Thanks

G. Hollenbeck


"GVaught" <glvaughtRemoveThis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:u6Dex0dPEHA.308@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Several possibilities:
>
> If the database was open at the time of the update to XP Pro and the main
> database resides on that machine or a machine that had the database open
and
> you rebooted the machine after the update, then this message is most
likely
> from that action.
>
> One of the other users tried something and stopped the action to put the
> database in this state. I am always leery when the users claim they didn't
> do anything. One possibility is they had the database open and their
machine
> was shutdown incorrectly and not shutting down the database first. Trust,
> but verify; as Ronald Reagan always said.
>
> Last, but not least. Neither of the above was the culprit and actions on
> your database were running under normal operations and some rogue code
> within the database decided to fail.
>
> "Gary A. Hollenbeck" <gary@cabinetdoors.com> wrote in message
> news:%23%23$ECNdPEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > This morning I encountered an unusual and scary problem.
> > While trying to open one of our databases I recieved this error.
> >
> > The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.
> > This database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft
Access
> by
> > using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database
> command
> > on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu).  This has left the
> database
> > in a partially converted state.
> > If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the
Convert
> > Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to
convert
> > it.  If the the original database is no longer available, create a new
> > database and import your tables and queries to perserve your data.  Your
> > other database objects can't be recovered.
> >
> > I have checked with other users.  No one tried do anything out of the
> > ordinary this morning.  I did however update my system with the latest
> > Windows XP Professional update.  I don't think that has anything to do
> with
> > it??
> >
> > I have tried compact/repair, linking and importing to a new database,
> > nothing works.  Does anybody have any ideas how I might recover this
> > database.  No backup of course.  I know, not very smart.  Any help would
> be
> > very much appreciated.
> > Gary A. Hollenbeck
> > Production Manager
> > The Door Stop
> >
> >
>
>


0
Gary
5/19/2004 8:26:15 PM
Hello,

There are a number of third-party companies that specialize in data 
recovery.
They are listed in following kb article:

ACC97: How to Troubleshoot Corruption in a Microsoft Access Database 
WGID:147
ID: 306829.KB.EN-US
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306829

Hope this helps!

Ki 

0
kiyi
5/28/2004 7:03:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Access Key in Custom Menu
How can I add an access key to a custom menu? Thanks in advance. can you explain further -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Thomas T." <Thomas T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06E2BBC9-F73F-423C-B37D-9374BE98C7EA@microsoft.com... > How can I add an access key to a custom menu? Thanks in advance. hi john, standard menu items like file or new can be accessed via keybord with alt+f or alt+n. how can this be done for a custom menu item? regards thomas "John O'Donnell" wrote: > can you explain further &g...

Will this work and how in Access
Currently using Access 2003 - We need to be able to pull various components from several tables in a couple of linked databases into one form/report. We are making “Parts Lists” – so there is the main component and then the other smaller parts that make up that main component listed below it. One table holds the main configuration numbers, and another table in a separate database holds the component parts numbers. We need to pull the main component number along with its description as a portion of the heading from the main component table from a linked Access database into a for...

Outlook 2003 will not open
Can not open outlook 2003 client after closeing it. I have to reboot or kill the process in taskmanager before I can open it again. ...

Opening Links in Outlook 2000
Hi i have an issue, where if i click a secure link in outlook, it opens ok, but if i click another secure link without closing Internet explorer, the 2nd link doesnt work. OS is server 2003 running citrix Outlook 2000 SP3 IE7 any ideas? Sackboy This is a setting in your IE. Go to IE\Properties\Advanced and make sure that you have a checkmark in "Reuse windows when launching shortcuts" When done hit Apply. Try the links again -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Sack...

Opening Excel attachment
When I try to open an excel attachment I get a pop up error message that reads. "Can't create file: file.xls. Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder". What exactly is this telling me? I suggest you to get some idea from teh Knowledge Base article given below: from www.support.microsoft.com OLEXP: Unable to Open EML File Attachments in Outlook Express (312355) - When you attempt to open an .eml attachment in Outlook Express, either the file may not open or you may ...

Unable to access my new mails
Hi, I have been using OUTLOOK since 5 months and never had a problem, but since last week, I m unable to watch new emails. When I click send/recieve button, it shows there are lot of messages are scanning, but when its dont there is nothing in my inbox. So I think server is receiving my mails but unable to present those on screen. Please help me out, since its the only way to be in touch with my world. Give me a suggestion abt this matter. ...

Audit of mailbox access
Hi, Need help with regards to auditing of mailbox. Is there a script availbale that can check for a mailbox on who have rights to Read , Full Access etc... the mailbox? Or it there any easier way to do it. TIA. That is scriptable but I don't know of any scripts that are available. You might check out http://www.slipstick.com or http://www.cdolive.com. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Dean" <help@exchangenewsgorup> wrote in message news:u8ZmUhgcHHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Need he...

Outlook Mobile Access(OMA) not functional
Running SBS 2003. OWA and Outlook are functioning properly. However, OMA does not work. This came up when attempting to sync a PDA with the server. OMA prompts for a password, however once you login correctly it goes to "Page cannot be displayed". Mobile devices display that there is a problem with the server. I've tried disabling SSL and forms based authentication with no luck. I've had a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/817379, but this doesn't seem to apply to SBS servers. Note that in the past we've had to follow the procedure at...

Aways open workbook on sheet 1 ???
Hi I have a multi-sheet workbook which performs various calculations o each sheet Is it at all possible to make the work book allways open on sheet even if the last save was on sheet 4 for example Sheet 1 is like the "home page" for the work book Thank -- benson6 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- benson68's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3034 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50005 I think this should work for you - Code: -------------------- Private Su...

Word keeps crashing after opening a saved doc
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I use Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer and transfer documents over. The documents are long (50-200 pages) with jpegs and tables and charts and created on a PC. When I try to open them on my Mac (both iMac and Macbook) they crash within a minute of opening. I've tried sending them through email, saving them with a different name and updating everything on my computer. I don't know what else to do. This is the crash report. Please help! <br><br>Process: Microsoft Word [330...

Changing the default folder view when opening or saving a file
In PowerPoint 2003, when clicking file>open to open an existing file, the “open” window defaults to the List view. Can the “Details” view be saved as the default? ...

The saved file opens as an old version of the file
I am having an issue with saving a publisher file and then when I email it to another computer the file opens as an old version of the file. We have tried saving the file as a different file name each time we make adjustments but it still doesn't work. We are both running Publisher 2003 but I am on vista and the other computer is XP. Please help!!! What makes you believe the file is changing versions? The file will save in the version you select when doing the Save operation. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com>...

How to keep mail from being opened
For security I reasons I would like to delete incoming mail without having to open it first. As my Outlook express is set up now, it open automatically before I can delete it when I click on the message. Thanks "46erjoe" <46erjoe@whoknows.net> wrote in message news:k3iav1hevcknhtt2o626gh8a66shi25637@4ax.com... > For security I reasons I would like to delete incoming mail without > having to open it first. As my Outlook express is set up now, it open > automatically before I can delete it when I click on the message. > Thanks As noted by the title for this newsgr...

I cannot open MP2000 file in ML2003.
Please help! Just bought a new laptop and it has MP2003 on it. I have been trying to open my existing MP2000 files and it says "Publisher cannot open file." I have not had this problem with any of the other programs. Thanks! Do you have Norton? Disable "Script Blocking" and "Office Plug-ins". -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MysticWolf13" <MysticWolf13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA1917EC-8C32-4D11-A753-A1700497AB3F@microsoft.com... > Please help...

Error opening Excel File
Hi, I'm currently having these days an error while opening an excel sheet. The sheet is shared among five users. When one tries to open it, a message indicates that the file is locked for editing by another user and after checking with the user, I understand that he has already closed the file but the latter remains locked. Can someone help? ...

how 2 open Publisher 93 document in Publisher 98 or 2003
I have numerous Publisher 92/93 documents which I want to update and save but I keep getting message "Publisher cannot open this document" - I run both Publisher 98 and 2003 - how can I open these documents - many thanx Depending on the specific version of Publisher those files were made with, you may need to find someone who has that version and start saving up to the present. Try finding someone with Pub 97 - that might work. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Nannarob" <Nannarob@discussio...

How do I change the ruler to inches in access
It's generally considered polite to put your question in the body of the post, rather than strictly post a subject. As well, details such as what version of Access and of Windows can be useful. That having been said, Access gets its unit of measure from the operating system. The only way to have the ruler in Access be in inches is to choose U.S. rather than Metric for the Measurement Units in Regional Settings in the Control Panel. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Johnotaker" <Johnotaker@discussions.microsoft...

Money file won't open
I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy of my file and then update it with the latest improvements, but I can't get the file to open - and I do have the correct password. What do I have to do to get my file back? In microsoft.public.money, Windwatcher wrote: >I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just >fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy >of my file and then update it with the latest impr...

Access 2000 DB import tables in SQL Server 2000 DB
I inherited an Access 2000 database that needs to have tables imported into a SQL Server 2000 new database. The Access database has approximately 30 tables. The Access database has approximately 10 forms, 10 reports, and 10 modules. I would like to import Access database tables into the new SQL Server database. After the tables has been imported I will create the relationship between the tables. Next I will create the indexes and link the SQL Server tables to Access database. I know Access 2000 upsizing will complete this procedure but it must have SQL Server v7.0 or v6.X database....

i want to print 70 work book and i dont want to open each n print
...

Error Mess when open spreadsheet
I have an excel spreadsheet . There are no macros, When i open it I get an error message: It doe not display anythng and has while background, when i press ok it shuts. I get the following erro message. EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d0b99. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d0b99 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=00000000 FS=215f EDX=00000008 ES=016f EDI=00629c74 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 a5 8b ca 83 e1 03 f3 a4 5f 5e 5d c3 8b 4d 10 Stack dump: ffffffd8 00000000 00629db4 30251402 00629c74 00000000...

Access to a series, when it is assigned to an empty range
Hello, I'd like to get access to a chart series via vba. This works fine with ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = "='" & ActiveWorkbook.Name & "'!" & Diagramm1.Range("Chart1_Series1").Value this is a reference to a named range. So, if I assign the series to a range with values I can change the series to another range afterwards. But if I once have assigned a series to an empty range I do not have access to the chart series any more. The error message is:"unable to set the values property of the series object" O...

simple way of adding guest internet access only to sbs 2003 setup.
Hello, I am glad the forums are still up. So here is what I have. we have a sbs 2003 setup that is running a single nic with standard. We want to give wireless access to our guests without the guests accessing our network. Here is our setup. cox internet | | Dlink Router --- wireless for business | | SBS 2003 now could we just do this? cox internet | | Switch | |------------| Dlink Dlink -- wireless for guests | wireless for business | | SBS 2003 Yes you can, you just need internet connect...

how can i open a publisher picture without publisher installed
I have been sent a picture in publisher format but this computer does not have publisher installed how can I open the picture?? Have your sender resend just the picture. There are no viewers for Publisher. If you want, send the file to me and I will extract the picture as long as it is family friendly. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "bobbos26" <bobbos26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB3EC8B9-DDDC-4E6D-B743-498363B6239F@microsoft.com... >I have ...

need help with "microsoft rich textbox v6.0" and LoadFile
Im creating a VC++ MFC Form View application. I'm adding a microsoft rich textbox control v6.0 control. I would like to open a plain text file in the control using ... MyRTBCtrl.LoadFile(LPCTSTR bstrFilename, VARIANT vFileType) What do I enter for the argument VARIANT vFileType? I can't seem to find any good documentation on this thing ... and most of the stuff in the groups is VB. Thanks Jason 0 for RTF 1 for None RTF If you imported the control throught visual studio, take a look at the h file that it created for the control. line 90 has the enum for the LoadSaveConst...