Office Object Library differs on NT

Hello,

I have a database which I run as a front-end .mdb file with the User
Interface and queries, and the back-end .mdb file which contains all tables
with data. I am running Access 2000 on WinXP.

I am constantly making changes to the front-end, and when necessary I
instruct my clients to copy the latest version of the front_end to their
local machines.

One unfortunate PC is still living in the dark ages and is on Windows
NT(although it does have Access 2000). And the problem is:
When I copy a new version of the front-end .mdb file to the NT machine, I
always have to go and change the references in Visual Basic for this file.
The NT machine’s references indicate that the Microsoft Office Object Library
10.0 is not available, and then I manually have to go change it to Microsoft
Office Object Library 9.0.

Is there a way that I can avoid this? i.e. having to go and change the
references each time before the user uses the front-end, and a run-time error
occurs. It goes without saying that if the solution is to upgrade Windows or
re-install Office, I will consider the option of manually changing it every
time.

Thanks very much in advance.
Jean

a) Are you actually using any of the objects in the Office object library?
If not, just uncheck the reference.

b) You say the PC has Access 2000 installed, but does it have Office 2000?
It could be a stand-alone installation of Access 2000 on a system with
Office 97 installed. If Office 2000 is installed, re-installing Office might
help, otherwise, you will need to use late binding.

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
http://brenreyn.blogspot.com

The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
a useable e-mail address at the URL above.

"bavjean" <bavjean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a database which I run as a front-end .mdb file with the User
> Interface and queries, and the back-end .mdb file which contains all
> tables
> with data. I am running Access 2000 on WinXP.
>
> I am constantly making changes to the front-end, and when necessary I
> instruct my clients to copy the latest version of the front_end to their
> local machines.
>
> One unfortunate PC is still living in the dark ages and is on Windows
> NT(although it does have Access 2000). And the problem is:
> When I copy a new version of the front-end .mdb file to the NT machine, I
> always have to go and change the references in Visual Basic for this file.
> The NT machine's references indicate that the Microsoft Office Object
> Library
> 10.0 is not available, and then I manually have to go change it to
> Microsoft
> Office Object Library 9.0.
>
> Is there a way that I can avoid this? i.e. having to go and change the
> references each time before the user uses the front-end, and a run-time
> error
> occurs. It goes without saying that if the solution is to upgrade Windows
> or
> re-install Office, I will consider the option of manually changing it
> every
> time.
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
> Jean

0
Brendan
11/24/2004 11:23:28 AM
OK, thanks for the hints. It is not a stand-alone version of Access 2000,
since there is also Powerpoint, Excel etc. in 2000 version.

What I went and done was open the front-end .mdb file from the NT machine
(instead of copying it to the local drive). Then I added the MS Office Object
Library 9.0 to the list of References. So now Library 10.0 is not there
anymore, and whenever someone copies the .mdb file to their local machine, it
references Library 9.0.

Is there anything bad in what I have just done? It seems that whatever
Library 10.0 has that 9.0 does not have, my application code doesn’t need.
I hope I haven’t gone and set off a bomb now or something…

"Brendan Reynolds" wrote:

> a) Are you actually using any of the objects in the Office object library?
> If not, just uncheck the reference.
>
> b) You say the PC has Access 2000 installed, but does it have Office 2000?
> It could be a stand-alone installation of Access 2000 on a system with
> Office 97 installed. If Office 2000 is installed, re-installing Office might
> help, otherwise, you will need to use late binding.
>
> --
> Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
> http://brenreyn.blogspot.com
>
> The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
> me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
> this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
> from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
> GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
> being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
> newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
> a useable e-mail address at the URL above.
>

> "bavjean" <bavjean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a database which I run as a front-end .mdb file with the User
> > Interface and queries, and the back-end .mdb file which contains all
> > tables
> > with data. I am running Access 2000 on WinXP.
> >
> > I am constantly making changes to the front-end, and when necessary I
> > instruct my clients to copy the latest version of the front_end to their
> > local machines.
> >
> > One unfortunate PC is still living in the dark ages and is on Windows
> > NT(although it does have Access 2000). And the problem is:
> > When I copy a new version of the front-end .mdb file to the NT machine, I
> > always have to go and change the references in Visual Basic for this file.
> > The NT machine's references indicate that the Microsoft Office Object
> > Library
> > 10.0 is not available, and then I manually have to go change it to
> > Microsoft
> > Office Object Library 9.0.
> >
> > Is there a way that I can avoid this? i.e. having to go and change the
> > references each time before the user uses the front-end, and a run-time
> > error
> > occurs. It goes without saying that if the solution is to upgrade Windows
> > or
> > re-install Office, I will consider the option of manually changing it
> > every
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.
> > Jean

I'm still wondering whether you actually need to reference the Office object
library at all. If you're not sure, try removing the reference and then
compiling. If you don't get any compile errors, you probably don't need it.
If you're using Option Explicit and you don't get any compile errors, you
definitely don't need it.

--

> [...]
>> > NT(although it does have Access 2000). And the problem is:
>> > When I copy a new version of the front-end .mdb file to the NT machine,
>> > always have to go and change the references in Visual Basic for this
>> > file.
>> > The NT machine's references indicate that the Microsoft Office Object
>> > Library
>> > 10.0 is not available, and then I manually have to go change it to
>> > Microsoft
>> > Office Object Library 9.0.
>> >
>> > Is there a way that I can avoid this? i.e. having to go and change the
>> > references each time before the user uses the front-end, and a run-time
>> > error
>> > occurs. It goes without saying that if the solution is to upgrade
>> > Windows
>> > or
>> > re-install Office, I will consider the option of manually changing it

0
Brendan

Office problems after update
Hi, I hope someone can help - I've searched various user groups online but couldn't find any solutions... I've been using Office 2004 on my PB for months - no problems at all. But after downloading the most recent update, it's all gone wrong... Word now crashes whenever I try and copy and paste text and whenever i try and use bullets. Also when I try and copy text and paste in another app (like Mail or Excel). Should I try reinstalling Office - and ignore the Office updates? thanks... See the reply to your post in the Word group. For future reference it is preferable to ...

Business Portal
Is there any way to put security by groups/users for specific documents/folders in document libraries? Hi Allison, Windows SharePoint Services version 2.0 doesn't have the functionality to specify item or folder level security in a document library. You can specify security only for the entire document library. -- Donna Marshall Technical Writer Microsoft Dynamics GP This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Allison" wrote: > Is there any way to put security by groups/users for specific > documents/folders in document...

No Outlook in Office 2007 Trial Version
Hi, I've installed the Trial version of Office 2007 that came with my new ASUS notebook (Windows 7 on it). If I go to "Change Installation" under "Uninstall or Change a Program" Outlook is not there. Is it possible that Outlook is not included in that version? Thank you. Fabian Depends which trial version, eg H&S doesnt include outlook "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76AA7084-7E88-4F1F-9833-CDA14E6003A7@microsoft.com... > Hi, I've installed the Trial version of Office 2007 that came with my new...

MAC Office 2004 Updater Issues
I currenly have MAC Office 2004 11.1.0. I am trying to update Office to the lastest update available which is 11.4.0. based on www.microsoft.com/downloads. I have attempted to first update with SP2 11.2.0 DMG and update fails with message that "current installer could not locate the correct version of software required to install this update." Make sure you have recommended requirements. The file is not stripped DL from both Firefox and Safari browers. I initially had this issue while trying to incrementally update from v 11.3 to 11.9 etc. I have the recommended OS updated...

Multiple languages in Office 08
I don't need any languages other than English and would like to delete the others to save space. Is this possible? How? Anything is "possible", just give us a little time to get out of the way before you do this, OK? No, seriously, I would not recommend this. The more languages you take out, the more troublesome your Office installation will be in the future. If you manage to remove them all, you will save about 20 MB :-) It's not worth it... If you must, run the Remove Office tool to take the whole installation out, then put it back in using a Custom installation, and ...

Problems with Excel 2003 after downloading Office SP1
I'm wondering if anyone else running Office 2003 had problems with applying multiple subtotals in Excel 2003 after downloading the SP1 Office update? ...

de-activate microsoft office 2003 professional
anyone knows how to de-activate a microsoft office 2003 professional, and then reinstall it to a new computer? "ericchong" <ericchong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:636D39E0-878F-4258-81B5-EB25B7D91205@microsoft.com... > anyone knows how to de-activate a microsoft office 2003 professional, and > then reinstall it to a new computer? There IS no "deactivation" process. Just uninstall from the old (as long as it's NOT an OEM version in which case you can't move it) and install on the new...depending on how long it's be...

what's the differents between MFC Wnd && .net winform??
Seems .net winform can do everything those MFC can does... So why we still using MFC today? What's the main differences?? MFC is based on the Windows SDK and is a for writing native windows applications. WinForms is based on .Net framework and is for writing .Net applications. I use MFC because I am comfortable with MFC (hence I am faster developing applications using MFC then I would ever be with C#), my application is performance critical, alot of my customers are running window 98, I can't require .Net framework to be installed, and most of the tools I use were written befor...

Find all objects to which a USER has access
Hi, I inherited an exhange infrastructure where even the Janitor has access to somoneelse's mailbox. I need to find out who has access to whose mailbox, any and all helpis highly appreciated. Thanks, TARAK ...

How can I send a click from my program to a system tray icon belongs to different application?
Hello, How can I send a click from my program to a system tray icon belongs to different application? Thank you in advance, David. ...

Some objects are not printing in Publisher
I have created a postcard in Publisher. Prints fine on my PC, my friend tries to print from his printer using Publisher and some of the objects (jpg files) do not print. Why? Tell your friend to update his printer drivers. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "PMAX" <PMAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74A15932-B668-4496-9122-6C20BAF2F511@microsoft.com... >I have created a postcard in Publisher. Prints fine on my PC, my friend > tries to print from his printer using Publisher and some of the objects > (jpg > files) do not print. ...

Different response times...
I have a VB 2005 program that uses an Access 2000 database that sits on a network drive. I'm using an oledb connection. From my PC, either through Visual Studio, or running the app itself, the program can query the database quickly (maybe a quarter second for a simple INSERT query). If I'm running the app from another pc on the network, the same INSERT query is taking about 12 seconds. I have tested this same program on multiple PCs with the same result. Also I installed Visual Studio on one of the 'slow' PCs and the response time went from 12 seconds down to 3 or 4 sec...

Xslt extension objects low performance
Hi. I'm working with the XsltTransform class and I found that invocations to extension objects are extremely time consuming in contrast to invocations to embebed code using "msxsl:script" tag. The questions are: - Why there is such a difference? - There is some detail that has to be considered when using xslt extension objects that could affect the performance? Thanks, Diego Rivero. Diego Rivero wrote: > I'm working with the XsltTransform class and I found that invocations to > extension objects are extremely time consuming in contrast...

Office v. X updates
During my installation of Office v. X 10.1.2 update, the message "An error prevented the update from completing 11002;2,-14" appeared, I could not proceed. Does anyone have suggestions what I should do? Thanks. On 2/13/04 1:22 PM, in article f8eb01c3f277$7e0da7c0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "zj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > During my installation of Office v. X 10.1.2 update, the > message "An error prevented the update from completing > 11002;2,-14" appeared, I could not proceed. Does anyone > have suggestions what I should do? A...

How do I create nametags with a different name on each tag?
The nametags come 10 to sheet, obviously I don't want 10 of the same name, so how to I get to put a different name on each tag? Mail Merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504371033.aspx The above URL is for Publisher 2003, there are links for other versions on the page. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Debbe" <Debbe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A988779D-820D-4859-997F-AE64C97F1B88@microsoft.com... > The nametags come 10 to sheet, obviously I don't want...

Installing Access XP alongside Office Std
XP SR2. Office 2003 Standard installed (an upgrade from Office XP Professional). I need to use Access for a month or two only. Is it safe to install Access from the XP Professional Suite CD? thanks HG Hi Helen, > Office 2003 Standard installed (an upgrade from Office XP Professional). ?? Office Standard would be a downgrade vs. Office Professional... > I need to use Access for a month or two only. Or, you might get hooked like the rest of us and be using it much longer! :-) > Is it safe to install Access from the XP Professional Suite CD? I would think you should be fine ...

Calculating the differance between 2 time fields
I have 2 time fields in a query that i want to know the differance of. I want the result to formatted "hh,mm" in the field. Can this happen in a query? You can use DateDiff("n", [Time1], [Time2])\60 & ":" & Format(DateDiff("n", [Time1], [Time2]) Mod 60, "00") Note that this returns a string, so you will not be able to do arithmetic on the result. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JWG" <JWG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F61E1A2-425E-4630-ACBC-...

Copy Rectangle Object From One Sheet To Another
I am accumulating various bar charts (constructed from Excel rectangles) into a single report. Is there a way to collect each "bar" (all the data cells plus the appropriately-sized rectangles) into their respective places on my Summary report? (I know how to get the cell data copied, but am not familiar with retrieving objects and making sure they are the right size and in the right place. Thank you. George ...

How2?
I bought Outlook-XP based on the line that said I could have different signatures on different accounts, with the signature assigned based on which account the message would be sent via. Now that I have everything else stable, I can't figure out how to do it. HELP please ! -- Remove VERMIN to reply Bob Sisson Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall mailto:bob@VERMINSissonFamily.com http://www.SissonFamily.com/bob I have never heard anyone say that about Outlook XP. Outlook 2003 has this feature, but not Outlook XP. Where did you see this? -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook M...

Office 2004 install error
Powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.2. I tried several times to install Office 2004 for Mac (official student and teachers edition) and each time installation stops with the message: The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "PMingLiU.ttf" could not be read or written.(Error code -36). Trying through new admin account does not help either. I uninstalled, as far as I know, everything related to Office but install still stops on that error message. Any ideas? Thanks for you interest. This one--especially with the flags of that corrupt font, error number, and the Student/Teacher...

How to cut & paste with MS Office Picture Mgr?
How do I cut a portion of a picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager then paste it to MSPaint? It used to be easy with MS photo editer. On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:05:00 -0800, Hurest <Hurest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I cut a portion of a picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager then >paste it to MSPaint? It used to be easy with MS photo editer. I'd suggest you ask in a newsgroup supporting that program. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. Please scroll down the list of subjects and find a more appropriate group. Joh...

Chart views differently on 2 machines
Both machines are running the same version of Excel. Yet, > when I view it on my machine, everything appears fine. > When I go to another machine, the "Y" axis is cutting off > letters. I thought it was a print-driver issue but it's > not. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions > would be greatly appreciated. I've also checked settings > under options and everything is set the same. Sharon - This seems to be a common problem, apparently without a cure. The best I can offer is a lame workaround. Type two spaces at the end of the...

MS Office student edition license
Is MS Office XP student edition license OK to install into up to 3 computer just like MS office 2003 Student ed.? Mac No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message news:iitEb.13330$aw2.7209520@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com......

Refering to other objects in other forms
Hi, I am a bit of a novice with the VB side of Excel (Only discovered it yesterday!) I'm trying to refer to another toggle button in another form but I am not sure of the syntax. I have this "If ToggleButton1.Value = True Then" but the toggle button I am refering to is not in this form. I assume I need to preceed "ToggleButton1" with the name of the form it is in but I'm not sure exactly how to do this... Any help would be great :o) Craig... -- The Zero ST ...

Excel workbooks in different windows & Fill color?
Q1 Hi, how to make excel workbooks opens in different windows? When I'm using Word all files opens in different windows and I can close each window without Word finish. Q2 How do I get different fill-colors other than those listed in the cell - format - meny? I got an english template with light grey-cells, worked all right yesterday, but today all cells with that color has become light-green. The light-grey color does not show up in the format meny - Weird! Q3 It's easy to format a cell with colors depending on values eg., but how do I cange the entire row color or several cells...