linked dbf tables have "invalid names" after conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000

We're using dbf files to bring data from another application to Access for
detailed analysis and reporting. We have recently upgraded from Access 97 to
Access 2000. Everything seems to have converted fine except linked dbf
tables. The previous linked tables worked fine in Access 97 for several
years.

When you try and open the table Access 2000 reports that :

" is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters
or punctuation and that it is not to long.

Even if we try and relink to the dbf files we get the same error. We have
found that if we move the files to a directory that doesn't contain spaces
in the name -it all works fine. We really don't want to rename the
directory, since it is shared by many applications and will likely break
other things.

0
David

Hi David,

The dbf import routine has a problem with long folder or file names. If
you can't rename the folder, try referring to it by the short name that
Windows has assigned to it (e.g. "C:\Program Files\" is usually
C:\PROGRA~1\).

If you open a command prompt the DIR command will show you the short
names; in Windows XP use DIR /X; other versions may vary.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
10/4/2004 6:38:26 PM
Could you map a network share to the folder and use the UNC name
(\\ServerName\ShareName\FileName.ext) to link the table?

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
http://brenreyn.blogspot.com

The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
a useable e-mail address at the URL above.

"David Trebacz" <trebacz@msn.com> wrote in message
> We're using dbf files to bring data from another application to Access for
> detailed analysis and reporting. We have recently upgraded from Access 97
> Access 2000. Everything seems to have converted fine except linked dbf
> tables. The previous linked tables worked fine in Access 97 for several
> years.
>
> When you try and open the table Access 2000 reports that :
>
> " is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid
> characters
> or punctuation and that it is not to long.
>
> Even if we try and relink to the dbf files we get the same error. We have
> found that if we move the files to a directory that doesn't contain spaces
> in the name -it all works fine. We really don't want to rename the
> directory, since it is shared by many applications and will likely break
> other things.

0
Brendan

Excel 2007
I am receiving a message in newly installed Excel 2007 when opening a spreadsheet in Excel 97 format that I never received when using Excel 2003. The error message is: "One or more invalid names were detected in this workbook. Those invalid names have been changed to #REF" However, I can't find any cells or worksheet names that show #REF. There are no external links in this document. How can I find where the error is coming from? thank you, Bob M.. I'd use a couple of utilities to help find the problem: Get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and M...

Find invalid names via VBA
Using VBA, how do I identify invalid dynamic range names? For Example, I would like to flag the following: "TargetRng" is defined as OFFSET(StartPoint, 0, 0, 1, 100) where "StartPoint" is undefined. Thank you for your help If your names always refer to ranges, then maybe something like this: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim testRng As Range Dim myName As Name For Each myName In ActiveWorkbook.Names Set testRng = Nothing On Error Resume Next Set testRng = myName.RefersToRange On Error GoTo 0 If testRng ...

Deleting Invalid Names in Excel 2003
I am working with a template model that has been used by our company fo a while. One of the problems that no one can seem to solve is th "invalid name" issue. When I go to the define list, there are man names that have special non-ASCII characters and point to invali links. My guess is that there is a lot of risidual junk in this fil and these are some corrupted references. Excel will not let me delet the names -- I click delete and nothing happens. If I attempt t change the reference, Excel gives me an "Invalid Name" error. If anyone has advice on how to remove thes...

invalid names were detected in this workbook
Hi Please help me to rectify the problem. I have excel file created in office 2003 when I open the file in 2007 it prompt for an error message "One or more invalid names were detected in this workbook. Those invalid names have been changed to #REF " and when the file open the chart is not displayed properly. the file was open in compatibility mode. I tried also to save it in Excel 2007 but stil the chart is not displayed right. Please advice. Hi, You do not need to post twice to the same newsgroup, let alone between newsgroups. -- If this helps, please click the Yes butt...