Help Please: Transferspreadsheet brings in odd format

I'm using Ac 2003, Win xp pro, Excel 2003.  My sheet is formatted as text.
Example: data is 3249388005 in Excel but imports as 3.24939e+009 in Access.

I've formatted the target table to which the data is appended as Text.  As
both the Excel cells and the Access field is formatted as text, I don't know
how to correct this.  It appears this is a scientific notation type data
format problem.

Please help:  how to I preserve the Excel format?

Perico <Perico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm using Ac 2003, Win xp pro, Excel 2003.  My sheet is formatted as text.
>Example: data is 3249388005 in Excel but imports as 3.24939e+009 in Access.
>
>I've formatted the target table to which the data is appended as Text.  As
>both the Excel cells and the Access field is formatted as text, I don't know
>how to correct this.  It appears this is a scientific notation type data
>format problem.

Insert a dummy row at the top of your spreadsheet below your heading
line.  Put garbage text in the fields you want imported as text.   And
so forth.

Then delete that row once it's imported.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
Tony Toews <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>I've formatted the target table to which the data is appended as Text.  As
>>both the Excel cells and the Access field is formatted as text, I don't know
>>how to correct this.  It appears this is a scientific notation type data
>>format problem.

I should've added that the import routine looks at the first few rows
of the spreadsheet and, on it's own, decides the format of the
incoming data.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
Tony
8/20/2006 12:06:56 AM
It's a very clever suggestion. On the face of it, a bit obscure.

Of course, it will cause all imports to occur as text.

Rounding of numerics in digital computers is often an issue. All I can say, is
store numerics only to the required precision (Integer, or Currency which is
the same thing with decimal point shifted). Floating-point always has the
possibility of giving an "e to the x format", which can usually be suppressed
(an AXE taken to) with code-rounding or at a pinch output formatting.

An example of code-rounding would be (in vapourware)
((INT(NUMBER + 1000) +0.5)/1000
Such is likely to be necessary even if the import is successfull!

(Thinks: why does my supermarket have notices where they say they use SWISS
ROUNDING? I don't think the SWISS are twisted, at least no more than the rest
of us)

Chris :-)

(Floating-point numbers are stored in a fancy BINARY e^x layout, which can
only ever be as precise as the NEAREST decimal number, to the precision the
storage or display method allows. Integers, on the other hand, are just the
same integer numbers whether in Binary or Decimal notation)

"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> I should've added that the import routine looks at the first few rows
> of the spreadsheet and, on it's own, decides the format of the
> incoming data.

0
Chris
8/20/2006 12:27:50 AM
"Chris Mills" <phad_nospam@cleardotnet.nz> wrote:

>It's a very clever suggestion. On the face of it, a bit obscure.

Not my idea.

>Of course, it will cause all imports to occur as text.

Yes, assuming you put text in all fields.  When I reread my posting it
came as implied that you'd put numeric or date data in other fields
but it wasn't explicit.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
Tony

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

Excel and some disappeared sheets

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

Format for credit card numbers

Help With Margin Formula

GETPIVOTDATA data_field help

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

Help!!!!
I am running Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 sp6a. Norton Anti- virus deleted my edb.log file. I have done an on-line restore with Arcserve 2000 and now my directory service won't start. getting 1166 internal processing error. I have been to support and could find anything that helped. Thanks in advance You may want to run eseutil /mh <drive and path to your dir.edb and include the dir.edb > c:\edb.dmp. Find this file and see if your dir is also inconsistent. If so you will need to restore your dir. -- Nan Bennett (MSFT) Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail...

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

difficult format
I want to format a code like this: ##.0001.## so then i push it down and gives me 0002 and so on, the other ## r numbers. The problem is that when i do that, it sums in the last two numbers instead of what i want, so i ask if it is possible to format like this: (text)##.(number)0001.(text)## so it guives me the sum of number then do what i want. if it is possible how ca i do that? Thanks You can try this, starting in row 1: ="##."&TEXT(ROW(),"0000")&".##" You'll have to adjust the "Row()" number when starting in any other row. For example,...

Formula to display nearest following Thursday in mm/dd/yyyy format
Hello, I have been reading and trying different suggestions here to no avail. What I need is a formula to calculate the nearest following thursday, and display it in mm/dd/yyyy format. To be clear, I have a column of varying dates. I need a formula to return the next thursday for each of those dates. To illustrate, say I have 05/22/2010, 05/23/201, 05/24/2010, & 05/26/2010 in cells A1 through A4. In cells B1 through B4, I would like to see 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, & 05/27/2010 representing the following thursday. Thank you for your help! BW T...

Bank One Download is not working

Printing problem in booklet format

help #2

problem opening up program/file

Credit Card Downloading HELP!
I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006. I download my 20 credit card transactions in QIF format. Money says it has 20 to review so I click that and they simply do not appear in the register! The the heck?!? I've tried quite a few things already to no avail. Deleted history and temp, deleted the statement and previous transactions/statements, repaired my money file a few times, tried to import in a different file but it just doesn't show up. Suggestions please...tia In microsoft.public.money, lucas.allen@gmail.com wrote: >I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006....