Form property as query criteria

Hi.
  I am working on an Access 2000 db in Access 2003 (using 2000 format).  In
my original 2000 database, I would create properties in VBA (using Property
Let and Property Get statements) for my forms and use them as criteria in
queries.  For example, if I had a report that should show data for a
specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it
"frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and ReportEndDate.
Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the
criteria for a date field, I would add ">=
[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate] and <=
[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]"  I would prompt the user for those
dates, set the values for the properties, then open the report.  This worked
without fail.
  When I run this database under 2003, I get the "Enter Parameter Value"
window for both "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]" and
"[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]".  Does anyone know why this would not
function as it did in 2000?

Thank you,
  Jerry

0
Jerry

I haven't tried this using properties, but if you have textboxes on the form
for the user to fill the dates in, why not just have the query refer to
those textboxes instead?

The "enter parameter value" window will pop-up when the query doesn't see
the parameter you've entered in something open, such as a form, so it
assumes it is one that should be prompted for.

--
Wayne Morgan
MS Access MVP

"Jerry" <jerry.giacinto@ketteng.com.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>  I am working on an Access 2000 db in Access 2003 (using 2000 format).  In
> my original 2000 database, I would create properties in VBA (using
> Property
> Let and Property Get statements) for my forms and use them as criteria in
> queries.  For example, if I had a report that should show data for a
> specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it
> "frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and ReportEndDate.
> Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the
> criteria for a date field, I would add ">=
> [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate] and <=
> [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]"  I would prompt the user for those
> dates, set the values for the properties, then open the report.  This
> worked
> without fail.
>  When I run this database under 2003, I get the "Enter Parameter Value"
> window for both "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]" and
> "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]".  Does anyone know why this would
> not
> function as it did in 2000?
>
> Thank you,
>  Jerry

0
Wayne
4/12/2006 3:17:14 AM
Wayne,

  The example I gave was a simple one that could be solved with textboxes on
the form.  However, a more complicated example might be one in which a series
of responses in controls might lead to specific criteria.  Of course, that
could be solved by dynamically creating the SQL for the recordsource of a
report.  However, I always found using properties as a clean way to
accomplish this.  Admittedly, I also don't have any experience with
dynamically changing the SQL for a report in an Access database that uses
security - and that's another reason I've chosen to use form properties.
  I guess the main point is that what I've usually done has always worked,
and I've tested the same database in Access XP with no problems, so I don't
understand why it wouldn't work under Access 2003.

Thanks,
  Jerry

"Wayne Morgan" wrote:

> I haven't tried this using properties, but if you have textboxes on the form
> for the user to fill the dates in, why not just have the query refer to
> those textboxes instead?
>
> The "enter parameter value" window will pop-up when the query doesn't see
> the parameter you've entered in something open, such as a form, so it
> assumes it is one that should be prompted for.
>
> --
> Wayne Morgan
> MS Access MVP
>

> "Jerry" <jerry.giacinto@ketteng.com.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >  I am working on an Access 2000 db in Access 2003 (using 2000 format).  In
> > my original 2000 database, I would create properties in VBA (using
> > Property
> > Let and Property Get statements) for my forms and use them as criteria in
> > queries.  For example, if I had a report that should show data for a
> > specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it
> > "frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and ReportEndDate.
> > Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the
> > criteria for a date field, I would add ">=
> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate] and <=
> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]"  I would prompt the user for those
> > dates, set the values for the properties, then open the report.  This
> > worked
> > without fail.
> >  When I run this database under 2003, I get the "Enter Parameter Value"
> > window for both "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]" and
> > "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]".  Does anyone know why this would
> > not
> > function as it did in 2000?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >  Jerry

I think the Expression Service sometimes does not handle Properties,
especially custom Properties correctly.  For example, in the Query Design
View, you can use the expression:

Forms!Form1!Combo1

to refer to the selected value of the ComboBox but you cannot use:

Forms!Form1!Combo1.Column(2)

to refer to the value in the 3rd Column of the selected row of the ComboBox.

To refer to the Column Property in the Query Design view, I use Eval()
function.  I am not sure this will work for the custom Form Properties but
try:

>= Eval("[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]") And
<= Eval("[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]")

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Wayne,
>
>  The example I gave was a simple one that could be solved with textboxes
> on
> the form.  However, a more complicated example might be one in which a
> series
> of responses in controls might lead to specific criteria.  Of course, that
> could be solved by dynamically creating the SQL for the recordsource of a
> report.  However, I always found using properties as a clean way to
> accomplish this.  Admittedly, I also don't have any experience with
> dynamically changing the SQL for a report in an Access database that uses
> security - and that's another reason I've chosen to use form properties.
>  I guess the main point is that what I've usually done has always worked,
> and I've tested the same database in Access XP with no problems, so I
> don't
> understand why it wouldn't work under Access 2003.
>
> Thanks,
>  Jerry

0
Van
4/12/2006 5:38:27 AM
You are correct: this is in the class of things that work
differently in A2K3 than in previous versions.

The bottom line is that form and report properties are less
useful than they used to be.

There has never been a list of these differences, or any
public justification.

Personally, I've always used controls, not properties or
public variables. I can make the controls visible for
debug purposes

(david)

> [...]
>> > in
>> > queries.  For example, if I had a report that should show data for a
>> > specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it
>> > "frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and
>> > ReportEndDate.
>> > Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the
>> > criteria for a date field, I would add ">=
>> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate] and <=
>> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]"  I would prompt the user for those
>> > dates, set the values for the properties, then open the report.  This
>> > worked
>> > without fail.
>> >  When I run this database under 2003, I get the "Enter Parameter Value"
>> > window for both "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]" and
>> > "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]".  Does anyone know why this would

0
david
4/12/2006 5:46:29 AM
Jerry,

I believe understand what you're saying. You can manipulate the data before
you put it in the property to be used by the query. Could you do the same
thing with a hidden textbox (Visible = False or No) and place the value
there then refer to the textbox in the query?

--
Wayne Morgan
MS Access MVP

> [...]
>> > in
>> > queries.  For example, if I had a report that should show data for a
>> > specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it
>> > "frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and
>> > ReportEndDate.
>> > Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the
>> > criteria for a date field, I would add ">=
>> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate] and <=
>> > [Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]"  I would prompt the user for those
>> > dates, set the values for the properties, then open the report.  This
>> > worked
>> > without fail.
>> >  When I run this database under 2003, I get the "Enter Parameter Value"
>> > window for both "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportStartDate]" and
>> > "[Forms]![frmReport].[ReportEndDate]".  Does anyone know why this would

0
Wayne
4/12/2006 10:06:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys.  I wish I could be more surprised that the
functionality would've changed in 2003.

I had considered using the hidden textbox, and I'm sure that would work.  I
have not tried the Eval function as Van suggested, but it is a good idea as
well.

Thanks again,
  Jerry

"Wayne Morgan" <comprev_gothroughthenewsgroup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jerry,
>
> I believe understand what you're saying. You can manipulate the data
before
> you put it in the property to be used by the query. Could you do the same
> thing with a hidden textbox (Visible = False or No) and place the value
> there then refer to the textbox in the query?
>
> --
> Wayne Morgan
> MS Access MVP
>

> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wayne,
> >
> >  The example I gave was a simple one that could be solved with textboxes
> > on
> > the form.  However, a more complicated example might be one in which a
> > series
> > of responses in controls might lead to specific criteria.  Of course,
that
> > could be solved by dynamically creating the SQL for the recordsource of
> > report.  However, I always found using properties as a clean way to
> > accomplish this.  Admittedly, I also don't have any experience with
> > dynamically changing the SQL for a report in an Access database that
uses
> > security - and that's another reason I've chosen to use form properties.
> >  I guess the main point is that what I've usually done has always
worked,
> > and I've tested the same database in Access XP with no problems, so I
> > don't
> > understand why it wouldn't work under Access 2003.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  Jerry
> >
> > "Wayne Morgan" wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't tried this using properties, but if you have textboxes on the
> >> form
> >> for the user to fill the dates in, why not just have the query refer to
> >> those textboxes instead?
> >>
> >> The "enter parameter value" window will pop-up when the query doesn't
see
> >> the parameter you've entered in something open, such as a form, so it
> >> assumes it is one that should be prompted for.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Morgan
> >> MS Access MVP
> >>

> >> "Jerry" <jerry.giacinto@ketteng.com.nospam.com> wrote in message
Value"

0
Jerry

Making custom form default for contacts
Hello: I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my modified form instead of the default custom contacts form. It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've had no luck tinkering w...

Parameter query 09-09-07
Hi I have read through various posts and answers and for some reason I am missing something. I am trying to create a query that will let me choose a value from a drop down list before running the query. First I create a look up column in my main table and then another table with the look up values, straight away these two are linked OK so far Table 1 = main table and Table 2 = Focus Area Next I create a form with a combo box which is linked to the values the syntax I use in data row source SELECT [Focus Area].[Focus Area] FROM [Focus Area]; all still seems OK when I run for it lets me cho...

SAVING CHANGES TO FORM SHUTS DOWN DATABASE!
It's the weirdest thing: I have worked in this form a thousand times...and mever a problem before, but now all of a sudden when I go into the design view of the form to edit controls when I save, I get an error message that wants to send an error reprot to microsoft and then it shuts down my database and creates a backup. What happened? Why does this only happen on this one form and not any others? I have experienced this also in another database in the past...and I remember I could do nothing to resolve it: I tried SELECT ALL and copying all of the objects to a new form - still ...

SQL statement in form text control
Hello! In a social services DB, one of the reports is all incidents involving a particular client. There are a few thousand records. I am using an SQL statement which filters records by the client's full name and Birthdate. The SQL is sent to the rowsource property of a combo box. The combination of name and DOB provides 1 unique client. (or none if the DOB is mis-entered or is wrong) The report (controlled by a query with parameters provided by the DOB text control and the combo box.) The combo box seems to be just one more thing to click through, so I thought of changi...

Print scrollable user form.
I have a user form that uses scroll bars. I added a button at th bottom of the form to print what is on the user form. The cod executed is userform.Printform. The only part of the form that print is the part of the form that is in the user window. How can I get th whole form to print, including what is out of the user window? Thanks, Crai -- cparson ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cparsons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1286 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39291 ...

Filter custom lookup field according to another field on form
Customising the form for a "Case". In the "Overview" section of the "General" tab there is a "Customer" field which corresponds to the "Account" or "Customer" (company, if you like) associated with the Case. I have added a "Contact" attribute as a Lookup which will associate the "Case" with a particular "Contact" belonging to the "Customer"/"Account" (by creating a relationship in the "Contact" entity, which is then exposed as an attribute in the "Case" form). How...

Web Query Import
I have some data on a web page and I want to use the Data/Import External Data/Web Query to pull the data into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that the import tries to interpret the data and changes it. The first line below is what was on the web, the second line is what excel changed it to.....I've tried all of the options with no luck .... I just want it to pull it in as text and not mess with it. Any ideas? 083934 03830000 05 0.00 30735800000000000060 83934 3830000 5 0 3.07358E+19 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ have you tried pre-formatti...

Microsoft Query
I've been told to download Microsoft Query add in so I get minipulate some of my data in Simply acctg. I can't find it as a download on Microsoft's site. Is there a safe place to download this tool from? Thanks -- Bruce Try Google or Bing and search for MSQuery Download. Or go to Microsoft site and search for MSQuery Download. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County brucemel wrote: > I've been told to download Microsoft Query add in so I get minipulate some of > my data in Simply...

Excel and Access Database Query
Hi I'm starting with a Spreadsheet that is being used to represent the financial and audit information for individual projects. 1 spreadsheet document = 1 project. I have a worksheet that is linked to an Access Database. I need the information from this Spreadsheet Document to be filtered into a Formatted Worksheet within another Spreadsheet Document. Currently I have the Worksheets (linked and formatted) in the same document and I am using a VLOOKUP format to transfer the information. However my problem occurs - because I need to 'save as' so that each individual project...

Paper Data Entry Form
Hello, I have a form with many fields. Some of the fields are combo boxes based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different choices. Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out. Is there an easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and perhaps circles the relevant one? I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value o...

hide a text box in a continuous form
I have a form that i created that display each form as a row in a continous form. What I need is to have one text field on one row not visible when a check box is checked. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks! Using Conditional Formatting, evalaute the state of the field bound to the CheckBox to set the Background color of the TextBox to match that of the Background color of the form. You might have to set the Disabled prop via CF as well. There is sample code showing one wat to accomplish this here: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm A2K or Higher Only! New Feb 08,2002...

How to select query fields based on Combo box?
Greeting, I have a table which has 5 fields, ID, Name, Age, School and Class. I have a combo box which shows the fields of a Query. This combo is located in form which presents all the fields of the table. What I want to do is once the user selects a field for more than one the fields in form shown as selected. Also, I want to make a button for reshow all fields in form. Thank you in advance. ...

Field not displaying contents on basic query
I have a customised entry for a "service". The "service type" field is a picklist. When I run a query that includes the "service type", the result is a set of records that have a blank where I would expect one of the picklist items to be. If I click on any of the records, they open in a new window and the complete details for the "service type" are there. Can anyone shed any light on what I am doing wrong here? I don't think it's anything you're doing wrong - rather it's the customisation. The service entity is not a customisabl...

How to call a JS function on the form loading?
How to call the function validate() on the form loading? There is a form in which another program will fill some text boxes automatically. I need this JS function to test the value of text boxes and give user a alert if any text box is empty. <script type="text/javascript"> function validate() { var t1 = document.getElementById('<%=txtOrderProduct.ClientID%>'); var t2 = document.getElementById('<%=txtOrderBy.ClientID%>'); if(t1.value == "" && t2.value == "") { alert("Empty'); } }...

Search Criteria for combo boxes
Hi. This should be really easy but I must have a block or something. I have created a Search Form with a number of unbound boxes some of which are combo boxes. In these cases the Row Source is (ie. SELECT DISTINCT Tbl_MAIN.Province FROM Qry_Search). While my query and table actually displays the province, on the Search Form when you click on the drop down, the options are 1,2,3.... which is of course the Province ID from Tbl_Province. How can I make the search fields show the appropriate text options? Thanks! On May 16, 5:05 pm, Carrie <Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Linking Queries To Compare Information
I have to queries that I am trying to link together. The problem is that when I link them, it is only showing records tht are alike with the linked fields. I need the link to compare and show all records so I can see the similarities and the differences between all the information in both queries. Is there a way to do this? Kennedys21 wrote: > I have to queries that I am trying to link together. The problem is > that when I link them, it is only showing records tht are alike with > the linked fields. I need the link to compare and show all records > so I can see the simil...

Creating Form, Need 1st 2 lines of field to indent, 3rd to wrap
I'm creating a form for myself to enter into. I have lines that are formatted in what they call "Indented Block" - I have a heading on the left margin, which I don't touch when filling in the form, the field starting at an indent of 3", the 2nd line of the field if it's long enough to wrap to also be at 3" and any lines after that to wrap back to the left margin. Kinda like this: heading: field 2nd line of field 3rd line of field continued BUT, I need to be able to indent the 3rd line also to 3" if it's too short &...

Print area query
Hi I am trying to print a page, the top margin is .18 and header 0, the bottom margin is o & footer zero but when i give print in paper the bottom margin is left more than top margin, i want to push bottom a little more but when i do, the content moves to next page, any solution for this? -- Life isa journey not a destination The problem is how close to the buttom your printer can print. Do not expect that you can print as close to the bottom as to the top of the paper. Regards, Per "Sherees" <Sherees@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen n...

list of search criteria
I have a report that I print to pdf. I have 10 cities that I want to use individually as the criteria in the query field[city]. How can I make the report use city1, then city2, etc as the criteria for the report? Does each city need to be in a separate PDF file? If Yes, then you will need to use some type of loop to print he report for each city. sierralightfoot wrote: >I have a report that I print to pdf. I have 10 cities that I want to use >individually as the criteria in the query field[city]. How can I make the >report use city1, then city2, etc as the criteria for the re...

Filter by form using a multiselect listbox
Hi All, I have been able to build a query that is filtered by a selection in a Listbox, but now i want to use a multi select list box so that two or more items can be included in the query. I constructed the query pointing to the Listbox but all I get is an empty dataset. How can this be accomplished? As always your help is appreciated. Regards, John Dumay Hi John, For a multiselect listbox to work as a filter you need to create another query based on the listbox. Put this code for execution between the selection of the listbox and running your main query ****Start of code***** ...

Editing the message body in an outlook forms
I'm trying to create some email templates for my office, and would like to have them in the organisational forms library. I've tried creating a new form, but I can't workout how to edit the message body.... it inserts my email signature (which is a pain in the ass.) but i can't edit it ? Obviously I could create a new signature, with the body of my text, and save the form then, but there has to be an easier way? Run the form. Edit the text in the message body. Choose Tools | Forms | = Publish Form.=20 And next time, turn off your signature before starting a forms design = ...

Count unique values for rows meeting specific criteria?
Been going around in circles with this for a while.. part way there, but not completely.. I need to COUNT the number of UNIQUE values in Column A, but only count rows if columns Q and R meet a certain criteria. I have used this formula for the total unique values: =(SUM(IF(FREQUENCY($A$2:$A$5507,$A$2:$A$5507)>0,1))) Now I would like to know if I can use this formula, or if I need to use something else to get my answer. The two criteria I need to be met before the row can be included in the unique value calculation are: ($Q$2:$Q$5507>=DATE(1998,6,31)) AND ($R$2:$R$5507<=DATE(1...

Hyperlinks and Custom Properties
I desperately need help with this! It is driving me crazy. In Custom Properites, I have a label, "email" in the "value" of the details of Custom Properties I want to enter email address with a hyperlink. So that when a user clicks in the Value of the email (eg. "mailto:emailtome@anywhere.com) it will open email. I am able to do this with a tool tip on the shape. But I am being asked to include it in the value of the Custom Properties. Can this be done? Please can someone please help me with this? Thank you. This was answered the last time you aske...

Query parent elements (newbe question)
Hi, I have a XML file where I want to query elements but id of the element is buried deep inside child elements for example: <XmlRoot> <XmlPosition> <PositionRecordInfo> <PositionId>1</PositionId> <PositionStatus>Active</PositionStatus> </PositionRecordInfo> <PositionTitle>.NET Developer</PositionTitle> <PositionDescription>Some sample text here</PositionDescription> </XmlPosition> <XmlPosition> <PositionRecordInfo> ...

countif 2 criteria
Hi Struggling to get this to work, despite looking at the treads. Using excel 2003. trying to count how many times 5710 in col G has "6" in Col H col-G col-H 5710 --- 7 5710 ----6 5694 ----6 5678----3 5710 ---6 =SUMPRODUCT(--(G2:G6=5710),--(H2:H6=6)) Would like to add 5694 as well as 5710, is this possible and does if have to be on the same sheet? thanks in advance brian -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/201003/1 try =SUMPRODUCT(--(G2:G6={5710,5694}),--(H2:H6=6)) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP ...