Exporting table data to an 80 column text file

I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.

NewHeartMan wrote:
> I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
> format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
> add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.

After you select File/Export, use TXT as the file extension, select
Fixed Width, click the advanced and enter the correct column start
and width settings, then complete the export wizard.

While you are in the Advanced dialog box, you can click Save As and
save this specification with a name, then use the specification name in
your TransferText command.

Ron

0
Ronald
9/29/2006 3:06:16 AM
Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
settings as an import/export specification.

Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
9/29/2006 3:48:17 AM
John, in that export, I need to front end some numbers with 0s.  I had a
number field that I changed to a text field.  The number 1234, with a format
of 0000000 looks like 0001234 in the table.  When I export it goes back to
"1234   " as text output.  I don't know how many significant figures there
are within the field.  Do I have to open the table, read the records, find
the length of the field, then front load it with 0's?

"John Nurick" wrote:

> Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
> As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
> settings as an import/export specification.
>
> Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
> with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.
>
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, NewHeartMan
> <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
> >format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
> >add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.
>
> --
> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>
> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

You need to use the Format function, not the Format property.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"NewHeartMan" <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John, in that export, I need to front end some numbers with 0s.  I had a
> number field that I changed to a text field.  The number 1234, with a
> format
> of 0000000 looks like 0001234 in the table.  When I export it goes back to
> "1234   " as text output.  I don't know how many significant figures there
> are within the field.  Do I have to open the table, read the records, find
> the length of the field, then front load it with 0's?
>
> "John Nurick" wrote:
>
>> Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
>> As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
>> settings as an import/export specification.
>>
>> Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
>> with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, NewHeartMan
>> <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80
>> >col.
>> >format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the
>> >table
>> >add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.
>>
>> --
>> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>>
>> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

0
Douglas

Linking files 2 ways

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Maximum file sizes

More Columns #2

File size #11

find action on log file

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Pivot Table Question #5

Pulling data from separate tabs

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

data sort

Help with importing data

Formula for cross tab data filling

predict future data

Status in table PurchaseOrderEntryDetail
Hello, We're trying to populate serial # into the PurchaseOrderEntryDetail table and run across the column 'Status'. What are the possible values for Status column in this table? Most of the time we see status of '2'. What does that mean? Please help. Many Thanks & Best Regards, Nikki ...

form fields not saving to table

Table of Contents for each section
I have tried several times to create a TOC for each section of my document. They way it is now I can simply go to the Insert a TOC and it will insert e perfect TOC. All my text has been changed to the appropriate Level and I have no problem there. But I need to seperate the chapters to the start of their respective sections (I have next page breaks inserted at the start of every chapter). I have tried the bookmark method, no luck. I have tried other methods but I think my problem is that I have selected the appropriate fields and changed their levels appropriately. I have not mes...

Formating text in cells
Hello, does anyone know how to force Excel to keep the hyphen or dash character (-) with the associated numbers when putting multiple dash-#s in a cell and turning "wrap" formating on? This is the same problem I have in Word; when I add dash-#s (ie; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz) Office apps interpret dashes ( - ) as a hypehen to a word and will keep the dash/hyphen on the line above until there are enough characters to force the dash/hyphen to the next line. In my work we use the format; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz to denote multiple versions of the same base part. Work instructions to operators...