Access 97 on Win XP ? Help ?

Hi,

We have upgraded our PC from Win 98 SE to Win XP. Also
changed to MS Office 2000. All went well, except the old
Access 97 database that we had now gives us a strange
message. I don't know Access at all, can anyone help me ?

When I try to open the database in Access 2000, it wants
us to convert or just open. Either option just says

"The Visual Basic for Applications project in the
database is corrupt"

What does this mean, and how do I fix the problem. I
tried installing MS Office 97 again, but this also does
not work. Gives an error about objects. We would prefer
to upgrade to MS Office 2000.

Many thanks
  Kev
0
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The Access 97 database needs to be in good order before it can
successfully be converted. See
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/conversionproblems.htm
and http://support.microsoft.com/?id=237313.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
11/3/2003 6:57:52 PM
"Kevin Jonson" <kev@iafrica.com> wrote:

>We have upgraded our PC from Win 98 SE to Win XP. Also
>changed to MS Office 2000. All went well, except the old
>Access 97 database that we had now gives us a strange
>message. I don't know Access at all, can anyone help me ?
>
>When I try to open the database in Access 2000, it wants
>us to convert or just open. Either option just says
>
>"The Visual Basic for Applications project in the
>database is corrupt"
>
>What does this mean, and how do I fix the problem. I
>tried installing MS Office 97 again, but this also does
>not work. Gives an error about objects.

What's the exact error message when you attempt to open the MDB in
A97?

>We would prefer
>to upgrade to MS Office 2000.

First thing to do is to make a copy of the MDB.  And hopefully you
have a recent backup somewhere.

It sorta sounds like maybe that MDB got partially converted.  A
decompile might help.  See the Decompile page at my website.

Also try importing into a new MDB, both A97 and A2000.  And see if you
can get a clean copy of it that way.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Thanks for your advice. I have downloaded some of the conversion tools, and
found the error.

I have never played with Access before the upgrade from 98 SE to Win XP, so
forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. Client has decided to stay with
Office 97 if that is easier.  I un-installed Office 2000, and put Office 97
back on. The problem is that there is an activeX control that is used in
some of the forms etc, that seems to be stored in the file Comdlg32.dll.
The file is dated 1999, and is 172kb on the Win 98 PC's, but it dated 2002,
and is 252kb on the Win XP PC.

I think the problem lies with a button that is used to change dates (ie up
and down button) was stored in the old DLL, but Win XP seems to have an
updated DLL without that button.  Is that possible ?  What could I do to
correct the problem.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreicated.

Regards
  Kevin Jonson

0
Kevin
11/4/2003 3:30:13 PM
Hi Kevin,

>button that is used to change dates (ie up
>and down button)

This sounds like either an UpDown (or Spinner) control, which is just an
up and down button, or else a DTPicker control, which can show up as a
date with up and down buttons next to it or as a little calendar. As far
as I know neither of these uses COMDLG32.DLL, which contains the common
Windows dialogs (File Open etc.). I'm pretty sure taht no controls were
dropped between Windows 98 and XP.

As I understand it, UpDown and the DTPicker are implemented as Windows
functions in COMCTL32.DLL. For use in environments such as VB or Access
forms they are then encapsulated as ActiveX controls, which are usually
contained in .OCX files. The standard VB set of ActiveX controls seem to
be in comctl32.ocx, comct232.ocx and comct332.ocx. I guess that if your
OCX files have got out of sync with COMCTL32.DLL you could get the
problem you're having.

To make things more complicated, third-party OCXs may also wrap the same
common controls. Also, Access forms may have problems with ActiveX
controls that work perfectly in VB forms and other environments, and
different versions of controls may behave differently. I've never been
able to make the DTPicker control work reliably in Access 97, though I
believe other people have.

So I don't have a good answer. Check the dates on the OCXs and if they
are older than the DLL it may be worth looking out for newer versions of
the ActiveX control(s). If that doesn't get you anywhere, I suggest
posting to microsoft.public.access.forms or .forms.coding, where people
know more about controls than I do.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
11/4/2003 9:01:33 PM
Hi,

I still have some PC's on the network running Win 98SE, and they can open
the database file across the network fine, so it must be something to do
with the windows operating systems, and the DLL files ? Is there any way I
can open the form across the network, and go into design mode, and determine
the active X control file names that the form uses ?

When I go into design mode, and remove the button, it opens fine on the Win
XP PC, but the user wants the left and right buttons to change the date
field. Is there any other Active X control or button that I could substitute
for it ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards
  Kev

0
Kevin
11/5/2003 5:53:43 AM
Hi Kev,

Why not just use a pair of standard Access buttons with code to adjust
the date up or down?

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
11/5/2003 7:03:35 AM
The exact message in AC97 is "There is no object in this control".  How do I
find out which file the offending Active X control is sitting in ? Is it a
DLL or Ocx file ?

--
Regards
  Kevin

0
Kevin

Excel 97 #3
what is the Red triangle in a cell called, I believe it is some type of handle. Is it in the top right corner? If yes, then it's probably a comment indicator. Let your cursor linger over that cell. If you see a comment, that's it. rjh wrote: > > what is the Red triangle in a cell called, I believe it is > some type of handle. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com The red triangle indicates someone has inserted a comment to give you information. Move the mouse over the cell to show the comment. Right- click on the comment to edit or delete it. Regards Peter >----...

Help with using data
Hi I would really appreciate some help with extracting data from Outlook. I have been building up a database of clients/prospectives, these are in various categories. I would like to extract/search on various fields as well as my own categories, all i can do with export is extract the whole lot to a tab delimited file. Or export categories to an rge file which I can't use. Any ideas out there? thanks Outlook's Search doesn't suffice? There are 3rd party search applications that might help. What sprcifically stops you from exporting to a format other than TSV? There are other...

I see that Publisher 97 can be upgraded to 2003; what about 98?
I have Publisher 98 but want to upgrade to 2003. On the sales page it says that one can only upgrade from 97 to 2003. Is that right? Publisher 98 qualifies... http://www.microsoft.com/office/publisher/howtobuy/default.mspx#EEAA -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gigi" <Gigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B2DD01C-2139-4D96-9821-7D3E41D553D5@microsoft.com... >I have Publisher 98 but want to upgrade to 2003. On the sales page it says > that one can only upgrade from 97 to 2003. Is...

GDI Help Please
Windows ME, HP 970CXI Printer, Publisher 2000 Keep getting the following error message when I try to print from Publisher: Mspub has caused an error in GDI.EXE. MSpub will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer. I just installed the latest driver that I received from HP,and I keep getting this problem. It's getting very fustrating. Can anyone help? Update your video driver and your problems should be over. Next time buy a quality brand of printer, not a lemon brand. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are tortu...

Help with simple arithmetic
i have the following declaration and piece of code Dim netProfit As Long netProfit = (7364 - 2298) * 20 Why does it fail with "runtime error 6" Overflow. the result should be 101320, should be okay for Long right ? Any help appreciated. Thanx --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The right hand side involves only integers, so it evaluates as an integer expression (which overflows). The final result (if it hadn't overflowed) would then be coerced to long. To perform the multiplication as a long instead of an integer, at least one of the numbers must be ...

MS Access 2003 and Outlook 2003/Website
I'm working with someone developing a website for our company, and had some questions. I've read alot of resources and articles on how to integraste these thigns, but can't seem to get to the right spot. What we want to do, is have a webpage, that a customer can access, fill out a small form for RMA requests, then either email that to a specific email address which would be filtered to a folde rin outlook, and then have the Access database look in that folder for new emails and add that info in to the db. I have that part partially figured out, but another option we were ...

Option Buttons Help
I hope I can explain my problem if you need further details please advise: I have 6 Option Buttons (Form Control) on a worksheet, when I click (Checked) any of them the rest automatically unchecked themselves, how can I modify them, since I want to create two groups of 3 Option Button on each group so if I click (checked) any of the Option Button in a group of 3 it does not unchecked any of the Option Buttons on the other group of 3? Thanks in Advance Saul Put each group into its own groupbox (also on that Forms toolbar). sAYk wrote: > > I hope I can explain my problem if you n...

HELP! Adding Account Features in Money
Any Money users here? I had been using Quicken for ten years and it does not have a feature to add a VUL (insurance) policy where I have "investments" to track in the policy. Does Money have that feature? Please help. I am considering in switching to Money if it does. Money Mazed In microsoft.public.money, Adelfa wrote: >Any Money users here? I had been using Quicken for ten >years and it does not have a feature to add a VUL >(insurance) policy where I have "investments" to track in >the policy. Does Money have that feature? Please help. I >am cons...

Macro Help Please excel 2003
I need a button so that when pressed it exports the data from the cell range sheet 1: A21:S81, it also exports the info from the same range A21:S81 on sheet 2 to an external excel workbook. I need it to export all the data onto sheet 1 of the external workbook, and each time the button is pressed it needs to find the first available row of the external workbook and copy over, this is so that all data is always saved on a massive long list. Thanks Neil. let us stick on to the original post. I have posted a response for your latest request. -- Jacob "Neil H...

Outlook 2002 on XP
I attempt to open Inbox email with no attachment and okay. I attempt to open Inbox email with attachment and Outlook appears to hang in send/receive mode. I have to use task manager to end app then XP generates the error send report. Then I have to restart PC. Any ideas why this happens? Mahalo, Reid ...

accessing address book in Outlook 2002
I recently had a fire and had to get a new computer. My ISP is MSN dialup. My new computer has Outlook 2002 and I want to use this instead of Hotmail to access my mail. I now am able to send and receive messages through Outlook but I cannot access my address book that I had with Hotmail. I need help b/c i have 3 pages of contacts!! You have to use your browser to access the web based address book at Hotmail. Outlook is better used for POP mail. >-----Original Message----- >I recently had a fire and had to get a new computer. My >ISP is MSN dialup. My new computer has...

MSCRM API failing with User defined fields.Help !

Need help editing budget
In many catagories of my budget, the budgeted amount includes a billed amount rather than only what I budgeted. When I go to edit budget, I highlight the area I want to change and a copy of the reoccuring bill shows up. What am I doing wrong? ...

DataSet Question-Please Help
I need to compare the count of an amount of matches in one column to a match of a dataset in 2 columns- An example is best: Column 1 Column 2 Result 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 3 4 blank 3 5 blank So in looking at column 1 and 2 if the count of column 1 equals the count of column 1 and 2 matching then the new column equals co...

help with lookup formula (SHEET 1 attatched)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

need help managing volume size
XP pro I use an array for automated daily backup, I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C. Problems: The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so backups are not executed until I notice and take action. I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level. Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging and purging....

Query--using Access 2007
I have a tblAddress table with a lookup field called TypeofAddressID. A company may have many addresses with different TypeofAddressID—such as 1 = Business, 2 = Mailstop, 3 = PO Box, and so on. I need to pull out TypeofAddressID # 1. Then if a 1 is not available, give me the type that is (which may be the PO address or Mailstop). I tried DLookup, Xor, and IIf([TypeofAddressID]=1, 1, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=2, 2, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=3, 3, 4))), but it is listing all addresses per company instead of either or. Any suggestions? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster....

Refresh problem for the size grip with Windows XP style #2
Hi, I have a dialog application with a scrollbar size grip. On Windows XP with the visual style, there is a refresh problem for the size grip region when I move the application out of the screen; only if I go to the bottom of the screen. It's OK if I go out by the right side. Without the XP style, everything is OK. I have noticed the same behavior with Notepad. Do you know how could I solve this problem? Any ideas will be appreciated, Thanks It's a known problem in XP (non-client area is erased incorrectly between scrollbars). Will it ever get fixed? I would not bet on it. &qu...

An error occured and this feature is no longer functioning properly. help!
This is what I get when saving my workbook. also it offers install some soft to repair the "feature". A runtime error happens when installing. I don't understand what feature is it about. Before that I made a copy of this book in csv format (when saving as csv, I also got a message that some features will not be compatible with csv format and I agreed because I guessed it was about a command button in the worksheet). When I opened xls book next time and tried to save it, it gave me the subj message, but saved after all in the end. I wonder if it is likely to cause me problems i...

HELP WITH A MAIL MERGE
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm ...

Setting excel to landscape and setting print area from access
I have an excel file that I create from access and I was wondering if there is an easy way to set the page setup to landscape and to set the print area width from access. Is there an easy way to do this? I created a macro with the excel macro recorder but I am not sure if I can somehow use this code to have access do this. Any direction on this would be appreciated. thanks [code] With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .PrintTitleRows = "" .PrintTitleColumns = "" End With ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "" With Active...

Vista start-up & networking w/ XP
I have two questions if someone can assist or at least direct me where to find some answers. Where is the "correct place" to store start-up scripts in Vista and Windows 7? Traditionally in Windows XP this is done using local policy editor and setting the startup/shutdown scripts. Because I have Vista Home Premium, this feature is disabled. I know this is probably stored some where in the registry, but I am not sure where this is. The second question has to do with networking. I have two machines one running Vista Home Premium and the second is a Windows XP machine. I h...

Hyper V, SBS 2008, Server 2008, XP
Hi All, I have a a Dell PowerEdge T610 with the following config: 16GB of RAM Dual Quad Core Processors RAID 0 - Two 500gb 10,000 rpm drive (500 gb total) RAID 5 - Three 500gb 7,200 rpm drives (1 terabyte storage total) - with on addition Global Hot Spare drive My question is how best to setup the Windows 2008 Server Hyper OS as well as the Virtual Machines (SBS 2008 Premium, Windows 2008 Server for SQL, & Windows XP) on the Hard Drives and Arrays. My thinking was the following: put the Hyper V OS on the RAID 0 array, on a C: parition 60GB in size. Afterwards, I was thin...

"Native" e-mail from access
Hi All, Is there code out there that I can copy that makes a native e-mail window open for users to send e-mails? What I want is for an outlook (or whatever) e-mail window to open like it does when you click a hyperlink. Just to clarify, I've made the SendObject call work for behind the scenes sending, and am looking at the redemption library to get around the Outlook security popup. What I want is an actual Outlook window (or a window from whatever the default e-mail program is on the machine) to open so the user can create a message from scratch. I appreciate an...

Workbook_Open Help
I got a splash screen in place so users know that the macros have bee enabled properly. However when the file is started it starts on �Error Sheet telling user that they must enable macro and how. This was don prevent user going into the file without enabling macro. The issue is when the user does enable they can still see th background of the error sheet instead of the main page, it�s not unti the splash screen disappears; it redirects to the Main Page. I change the order of events so the redirection would happen first on th Workbook_Open, but it continues to show the error sheet. Any id...