Access 2003 file format advange?

We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003.     I'm aware
that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without conversion,
and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the
database to version 2003?   Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database
should NOT be converted to 2003?   It's hard to beleive that it wouldn't
matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to
converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003.

Many thanks in advance.

0
Sirocco

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:13 -0500, Sirocco wrote:

> We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003.     I'm aware
> that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without conversion,
> and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the
> database to version 2003?   Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database
> should NOT be converted to 2003?   It's hard to beleive that it wouldn't
> matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to
> converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Check out the article at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k2/html/odc_ac
Format.asp?frame=true. It discusses Access 2002, but the file format has
not changed in Access 2003, so all the comparisons are still valid.

One additional benefit that is specific to Access 2003 comes when using a
digital certificate to sign your database (new functionality in 2003).
Performance of a signed database is significantly better when the database
is in the 2003 format.

--
Regards,
Mike Wachal

Mike
2/17/2004 7:50:35 PM
I get a "page cannot be found" when I click on your link.  What does the
page describe?

Thank you.

"Mike Wachal" <mikewa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:13 -0500, Sirocco wrote:
>
> > We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003.     I'm
aware
> > that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without
conversion,
> > and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the
> > database to version 2003?   Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database
> > should NOT be converted to 2003?   It's hard to beleive that it wouldn't
> > matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to
> > converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
>
> Check out the article at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k2/html/odc_ac
> Format.asp?frame=true. It discusses Access 2002, but the file format has
> not changed in Access 2003, so all the comparisons are still valid.
>
> One additional benefit that is specific to Access 2003 comes when using a
> digital certificate to sign your database (new functionality in 2003).
> Performance of a signed database is significantly better when the database
> is in the 2003 format.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mike Wachal
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

0
Sirocco
2/18/2004 9:33:47 PM
The article is quite long; more than I can describe here. It looks like the
URL broke across a line, you need to get the whole URL from the http: all
the way to 'frame=true' on the next line.

Alternatively, I just created

http://tinyurl.com/2osas

that should link to the same page and should have a problem breaking.

--
Regards,
Mike Wachal

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:33:47 -0500, Sirocco wrote:

> I get a "page cannot be found" when I click on your link.  What does the
> page describe?
>
> Thank you.
>

> "Mike Wachal" <mikewa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:13 -0500, Sirocco wrote:
>>
>>> We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003.     I'm
> aware
>>> that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without
> conversion,
>>> and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the
>>> database to version 2003?   Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database
>>> should NOT be converted to 2003?   It's hard to beleive that it
wouldn't
>>> matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to
>>> converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Check out the article at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k2/html/odc_ac
>> Format.asp?frame=true. It discusses Access 2002, but the file format has
>> not changed in Access 2003, so all the comparisons are still valid.
>>
>> One additional benefit that is specific to Access 2003 comes when using
>> digital certificate to sign your database (new functionality in 2003).
>> Performance of a signed database is significantly better when the
database
>> is in the 2003 format.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mike Wachal
>> Microsoft Corporation

> rights.

0
Mike

How to stop "Help" accessing Office Online
Excel 2003. I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For example, with a stupidly simple example: =vlookup Press F1 Assistance appears, then if you hit the green arrow it goes to the online mode and searches the web.... really a pain. Esp. since my firewall blocked the search and thereafter Excel simply crashed. Try: Help|Microsoft Help|Online Content Settings|Online Content Category Turn off what you don't want. Steve wrote: > > Excel 2003. > > I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For > exampl...

PST file locaion under Win7
Hi, Where does outlook 2007 keeps PST files under windows7? Apparently under Users/myname there is no folder AppData\Local... Thank you for your help. ...

Linking files 2 ways

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

How to repair a .dll file in IE8