Access 2003 converts mdb when opened by VB app

I wrote a standalone VB6 app a few years ago that maintains a .mdb database.
One of my users has reported today that its suddenly gone wrong, and is
reporting missing indexes, fields etc.  He has Access 2003 installed, but
that's been true for a while.

Looking into it a bit more, what appears to happen is that when the VB app
opens the database, the Access dlls are converting the mdb automatically to
the new format.  We see the dialog on screen to say that the db must be
converted.  In the process it loses the primary key, and one other field as
well, which then makes it incompatible with the VB app.

And ... he has just installed XP SP2, which makes me wonder if its something
to do with that ...

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

0
Doc

How are you opening it from VB? Are you just using DAO or ADO to get at the
data, or are you using Automation? If you're using Automation, how are you
doing it: with Early Binding (i.e.: you've set a reference to Access), or
Late Binding (i.e.: you haven't set a reference to Access, but are using
CreateObject("Access.Application")?

Unless you're using Automation, I can't see any way that the MDB would get
converted. And, to be honest, I find it hard to understand how converting
would cause the primary key to be lost, much less data fields.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Doc Dunning" <docdunning@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I wrote a standalone VB6 app a few years ago that maintains a .mdb
database.
> One of my users has reported today that its suddenly gone wrong, and is
> reporting missing indexes, fields etc.  He has Access 2003 installed, but
> that's been true for a while.
>
> Looking into it a bit more, what appears to happen is that when the VB app
> opens the database, the Access dlls are converting the mdb automatically
> the new format.  We see the dialog on screen to say that the db must be
> converted.  In the process it loses the primary key, and one other field
as
> well, which then makes it incompatible with the VB app.
>
> And ... he has just installed XP SP2, which makes me wonder if its
something
> to do with that ...
>
> Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

0
Douglas
8/22/2004 7:59:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, Doug.  I'm as puzzled as you!  For the record, I'm
just using DAO from VB6.  Since posting here, my user has told me that he's
got another XP machine where the app is still working, so we'll see if we
get anywhere with comparing the two.

Thanks meantime.

> How are you opening it from VB? Are you just using DAO or ADO to get at
the
> data, or are you using Automation? If you're using Automation, how are you
> doing it: with Early Binding (i.e.: you've set a reference to Access), or
> Late Binding (i.e.: you haven't set a reference to Access, but are using
> CreateObject("Access.Application")?
>
> Unless you're using Automation, I can't see any way that the MDB would get
> converted. And, to be honest, I find it hard to understand how converting
> would cause the primary key to be lost, much less data fields.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Doc Dunning" <docdunning@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > I wrote a standalone VB6 app a few years ago that maintains a .mdb
> database.
> > One of my users has reported today that its suddenly gone wrong, and is
> > reporting missing indexes, fields etc.  He has Access 2003 installed,
but
> > that's been true for a while.
> >
> > Looking into it a bit more, what appears to happen is that when the VB
app
> > opens the database, the Access dlls are converting the mdb automatically
> > the new format.  We see the dialog on screen to say that the db must be
> > converted.  In the process it loses the primary key, and one other field
> as
> > well, which then makes it incompatible with the VB app.
> >
> > And ... he has just installed XP SP2, which makes me wonder if its
> something
> > to do with that ...
> >
> > Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

0
Doc

Junk E-mail filter problems in Outlook 2003 #2
The Junk E-mail Options - Safe Senders tab states "E-mail from addresses or domain names on your Safe Senders List will never be treated as junk e-mail. In that list I have (for example) nytdirect@nytimes.com which is the from address for a daily DealBook summary to which I have subscribed. Yet, in an unpredictable pattern, email from this address lands in my Junk E-mail folder. Each time, I click on the "Not Junk" toolbar button and am then informed in a "Mark as Not Junk" dialog box that "This message will be moved back into the Inbox Folder." I then leave...

How to erase MS OUTLOOK 2003 duplicate mails in my INBOX
Hi, I'd like to erase, from my PC, all duplicate mails of my Inbox. Duplicate mails are identical mails (same date, origine, sender, ...) that my mail server (POP) loads more than one time a day because of the option "Keep mails on server for x... days" is selected. I don't want to change this setting and I can't use an IMAP server. So I need a script or a VBA macro to check that point. Any idea?? Thanks Rodryg <rodryg@magic.fr> wrote: > I'd like to erase, from my PC, all duplicate mails of my Inbox. > Duplicate mails are identical mails (same d...

Accessing Record Buffer in MCI
Hi all, I am using MCI to record user audio through mic or any other recording device. While I can play it back and save the audio easily, I have not found any method to directly access recorded buffer. How do i do this? Thanks in advance nightcrawler wrote: > Hi all, > > I am using MCI to record user audio through mic or any other recording > device. While I can play it back and save the audio easily, I have not > found any method to directly access recorded buffer. > > How do i do this? > > Thanks in advance I think you can save your recorded buffer to a mem...

installed office 2007, 2003 calendar events did not appear.
I had a error 1311 on installation of office 2007. The error solution was to uninstall office 2003 and reinstall 2007. Everything came up fine except calendar. None of my events from 2003 showed up, however my reminder popups worked from the 2003 calendar. I can't find the name of the calendar file to try to reinstall. Thanks, Charlie The calendar is in your pst. Do you see the calendar if you use Folder list view? (Press Ctrl+6 to switch to the folder list. ) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions...

access 2007 crashes
when i change by code the controlsource of a textbox while opening the report, access crashes. is there a way to solve this (besides opening first in lay-out view)? michel Yes, this is one of the bugs in A2007. AFAIK, no resolution has been provided for this problem yet. Hopefully we will see it fixed when MS releases SP1 for Office 2007. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Michel Peeters" <michel@melsbroek.be> wrote in message news...

Windows for newly converted records not showing up...
We seems to have a problem with our CRM system where someone tries to "Convert a Lead" and clicks the "Open newly created record(s)" checkbox. The system will convert the lead and create all the necessary records, but it will NOT open the newly created records. At first I thought it was a Pop-Up block issue, but I tried it myself with all Pop-Up blocking turned OFF and it still is happening. Any Ideas? Regards, Eric S. ...

Rules Wizard does not open.
Hello all, I have a user that when he clicks the organize button and then when that expands out he trys to click the Rules Wizard button and nothing happens. Also Rules Wizard does not show up in the Tools menu. He is using Outlook 2002 SP-1. Does anyone have any clues? Thanks, Jay ...

Cannot logout of Outlook Web Access in 2003
We are having a problem here at work with Outlook 2003 Web access. We have multiple users using certain machines that are logged on under the one global account. When we were running Outlook Web Access under 2000, it would log out no problems, but now with the upgrade to 2003, it keeps the same settings from the one user, even if we click the log out option. Is there a setting i have missed somewhere, or a way aroud this problem? We can log in as others, if we type in that particular users username at the end of the html address. But this really isnt practicle as some of of users a...

Out of Office not working Exchange 2003
I have an Exchange 2003 server, and have set the Internet Message Formats properties to allow Out of Office responses, restarted the SMTP and Exchange Routing Engine services, but it still won't send the Out of Office message to outside recipients. I even set the Allow automatic replies to on, just to see if that will work, but it simply doesn't. Any ideas on what else I need to do? A client really needs to get this working on his server, and I can't even get it working on mine. Rob Miles -- There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those w...

.snp Sent via Access-to-Outlook Automatic
W/ a filename of Sales030408_030908.snp - is NOT opening. What am I doing wrong? TIA - Bob Hi Bob, My guess is that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that some setting is not correct in your registry to allow Outlook and Snapview.exe to work together correctly. Are you able to open the .snp file if you first save it from the e-mail message to some folder on your hard drive? Have you tried a different .snp file, just to rule out possible corruption in the Sales030408_030908.snp file? Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.q...

Exel 2002 freezes when opening sheet
Hi Have office XP, windows XP pro, latest service packs. When opening a word or exel document from the file/Open menu and select previous documents opened at the bottom of the menu the first time it takes forever and freezes the machine while waiting, after that it will open OK. Regards Grant ...

Dexterity Runtime: You do not have permissions to open this file
So, I have a users that is getting: "Dexterity Runtime: You do not have permissions to open this file" I checked and I ensured that she has the same permissions on the network as other users and she can get to all the files in the GP directory on the server. I had the admin reset her password in Great Plains and that didn't work either. I had one of the other users log into her computer and it worked fine too. Any Clues. Is this happening when first logging into GP? If so, it's typically a Windows permission error on the reports.dic (usually this happens when it...

opening excel from intranet ie6.0
I have a number of excel files I wish to share between multiple users. I can give them access to these files via our Intranet using Internet Explorer 6.0. My problem is that the excel files open up inside the browser, not in excel. I want user to click on the file in the Intranet IE6.0 and for the file to open in the Excel application (Excel 2000). Any ideas / help welcome. Thanks Paddy ...

Outlook 2003 beta doesn't send body
I am getting the body of my message as a blank when using Outlook 2003 beta. Is this a known bug and is there a fix? Thanks, Jon There were a few bugs along those lines in the beta. Most were fixed for the "technical refresh" of the beta (do you have that?), but I think one was even there in that. As far as I know, all have been fixed in recent builds. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Jon" <davesmith2020@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f3a5079_3@corp-news.newsgr...

Accessing lookup entity properties!!
Hi, I have found a useful piece of code which allows me to use Javascript to read certain properties from a lookup entity. In other words, when I create a referential relationship between my custom entity and the product entity, I would like to have the Javascript code write certain product characteristics, such as ID, Description, etc. to other attributes on the form. Is this possible or can I only access the name value? This is a piece of code which will retrieve the name value of the lookup, but I would like to access more product attributes. var selectedProduct = crmForm.all.<produc...

exchange 2003 testing
My exchange 2003 trial has expired. I have the release version which I purchased. Can I install as on update and not loose the data? If not, can I go in and backup the date to PST files? thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:56:37 -0400, "jjk" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote: >My exchange 2003 trial has expired. I have the release version which I >purchased. > >Can I install as on update and not loose the data? If not, can I go in and >backup the date to PST files? > >thanks, > >Raul Rego >NJPIES >rrego@njpies.org &...

rules by category in outlook 2003
Hello, I have my contacts organized by Categories such as Business, Personal etc.. I have the following rule: Apply this rule after the message arrives assigned to Business category move it to the Business folder However, this rule has no effect, I click on run rules now, or when new mails arrive from my contacts in the Business category.. I found out the following.. if I right click on the message then Click on options, I see a category text box, if I assign the email to a Business category and run the rule, it works.. I don't get it... what is the point of the category if I cannot ...

Set default account in Outlook 2003
Hello! I have a client who has a hosted Exchange account (AppRiver) and a POP3 account in his stand-alone computer that is NOT connected to an SBS domain (but I am cross-posting there because so many large brains hang out there!). He wants to have the Exchange account be the default, but it sometimes flips to be the POP3 account "without me touching it" as he says. I have found several references to the exact opposite problem when on an SBS network, i.e., people want the POP3 to be the default but it reverts to Exchange. The fix for that is to add the following. Key: HKEY_LO...

Phone Numbers for Access MVPS
Id' like to start posting phone numbers for Access MVPs; that way if you need help with Access then you can go ahead and call them I found his address and phone number at zabbasearch.com TOM G WICKERATH 15851 12TH PL BELLEVUE, WA 98008 (425) 562-8913 I will post more soon oh and here is the contact info for Tony Toews, right?? http://www.zabasearch.com/query1_zaba.php?sname=anthony%20toews&state=ALL&ref=%24ref&se=%24se&doby=&city=&name_style=1 I love this website; this is so helpful-- now we can CALL our favorite MVP whenever we have a problem with Acce...

Data Access Page 09-11-07
Good Morning Community, Is there any way to include a search function on a Data access Page? I have a file that I want to put on a Data access page that will be published on a shared drive, the problem is that the file has about 1000 records and to search through each one would defeat the purpose of putting the page up. Is there anyway to include a search function that would jump to a particular record as access does on its forms. Thanks in advance for any response Perhaps this sample database will serve as a starting point: http://www.cadellsoftware.org/SampleDBs.htm#FilterDAP...

Exchange 2003 Forms Logon
Hi there.... I am trying to have exchange 2003 view forms when using the webmail client to logon, I set it to use forms in exchange system manager, but upon login.... no forms :/ just a dialog box to logon... Can anyone help? thanks alot in advance Rudi Groenewald wrote: > Hi there.... > > I am trying to have exchange 2003 view forms when using the webmail > client to logon, I set it to use forms in exchange system manager, > but upon login.... no forms :/ just a dialog box to logon... > > > Can anyone help? I guess you mean Forms-based Authentication? Are you u...

mde file in Access 2007
I have just converted a mdb database in Access 2007 to a mde file, but now the said database does not work correctly. When I opened up the mde database, I got a message from Access 2007 saying there was a potential security concern, and I clicked the ok button to open up the database. Now the combo box to find records does not function, as when I select a record from the list, it is not shown on the form. Thanks On Sun, 30 May 2010 18:00:40 +0100, Bob H <bob@despammer.com> wrote: Did you put the database in a Trusted Location (see help file)? -Tom. Microsoft Access M...

CArray of stdext::hash_map<int,int> not possible ( access violation ) ?
Hello, I have problems using CArray<> with hash_map<>. What's wrong with the following code ? class A { A() {} A( const A& ) {} ~A() {} void operator=( const A& ) {} stdext::hash_map<int,int> m_member; }; .... A item; CArray<A> test; test.Add( item ); test.Add( item ); test.RemoveAll(); // access violation in hash_map<> destructor ???????? The same code with std::map<> works ok. What is the problem ?. Everything tested under VS.2005. Thanks, Adam "Adam" <adam_mich@gazeta.pl> ha scrit...

Converting from Excel to text w/o quotes (" ")
When converting from excel to tab delimited text format, The text file automatically padded with open & end quotes ( " ") if any of the cell has a comma (,). Is there any way to convert to text w/o the quotes i.e. to reflect exactly what it is in excel? Apprecaite your Advice. Thank you The quotes come from having characters in the cells that could be misinterpreted (i.e. commas, slashes, ?'s). There's a "great" knowledge base article on microsoft's website that I've never gotten to work properly. Instead, I used a program called text-write at: ...

Outlook 2003 and Exch CALs
This is a licensing question: If I buy Exchange Server 2003 (server license) and I buy Outlook 2003, do I still need to purchase the Exchange CALs? Conversely, if I buy the Exchange CALs, do I need to buy Outlook 2003? OR, do I need to purchase ALL 3 types of licenses? It's kind of confusing because on the product info page it says "Each Exchange 2003 CAL also includes Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003". It sounds like to me that if you buy the Exchange CALs, you don't need to buy the full price Outlook 2003. Yes? No? David. As far as I know buying Outlook (any vers...