Access 2002 crashes when using Access 2000 DB

I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
(around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").

This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
database works fine.

After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).

I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
one other required field) and could add a record that way too.

Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?

THANKS
Sigurd Andersen
0
Sigurd

More info - I've been back to the client's computer, and made sure that
all the latest updates are applied to Windows XP Pro and to Office XP.
The problem is still there. A search of Microsoft's online Knowledge
Base yields no matches to these circumstances.

Sigurd Andersen wrote:

> I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
> (around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
> Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
> running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
> adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
> want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").
>
> This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
> computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
> this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
> occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
> just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
> After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
> back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
> database works fine.
>
> After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
> form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
> first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>
> I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
> problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
> one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?
>
> THANKS
> Sigurd Andersen
0
Sigurd
3/1/2004 5:56:08 AM
Hi Sigurd

Sounds like a References problem to me.

This can be caused by differences in either the location or file version of
certain files between the machine where the application was developed, and
where it's being run (or the file missing completely from the target
machine). Such differences are common when new software is installed.

On the machine(s) where it's not working, open any code module (or open the
Debug Window, using Ctrl-G, provided you haven't selected the "keep debug
window on top" option). Select Tools | References from the menu bar. Examine
all of the selected references.

If any of the selected references have "MISSING:" in front of them, unselect
them, and back out of the dialog. If you really need the reference(s) you
just unselected (you can tell by doing a Compile All Modules), go back in
and reselect them.

If none have "MISSING:", select an additional reference at random, back out
of the dialog, then go back in and unselect the reference you just added. If
that doesn't solve the problem, try to unselect as many of the selected
references as you can (Access may not let you unselect them all), back out
of the dialog, then go back in and reselect the references you just
unselected. (NOTE: write down what the references are before you delete
them, because they'll be in a different order when you go back in)

Best regards

Maurice St-Cyr
Micro Systems Consultants, Inc.

>I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
>(around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
>Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
>running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
>adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
>want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").
>
>This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
>computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
>this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
>occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
>just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
>After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
>back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
>database works fine.
>
>After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
>form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
>first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>
>I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
>problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
>one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>
>Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?
>
>THANKS
>Sigurd Andersen

0
stcyrm
3/1/2004 5:18:52 PM
Maurice,
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, this did not do it. None of the
references were "MISSING:" - and when I got rid of the 2 of 4 it would
let me remove, got out, back in, added them back - made no difference.
Pointing me to the References led me to compare against the existing
database. I added in two more References to match the existing database,
and fiddled a couple of different ways with the order of the references,
but this, too, did NOT fix the problem.

If anyone else can suggest anything, it would be greatly appreciated.
- Sigurd

StCyrM wrote:
> [...]
>>this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
>>occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
>>just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
>>After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
>>back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
>>database works fine.
>>
>>After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
>>form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
>>first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>>
>>I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
>>problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
>>one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>>
>>Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?

0
Sigurd
3/1/2004 11:26:08 PM
How is this database used? Is the database split? Where the back-end (tables
only) reside on a network server and the front-end (linked tables, queries,
forms, reports, macros, modules) reside on each user's machine. If not, here
is where the problem may lie; a database that is going to be shared among
multiple users, should use a split database.

If the database resides on a network server or other workstation as a whole
database, shared by multiple users, you are opening the database for major
corruption. Corruption that may never be able to be repaired.

"Sigurd Andersen" <sigurd@sover.net> wrote in message
> I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
> (around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
> Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
> running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
> adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
> want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").
>
> This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
> computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
> this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
> occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
> just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
> After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
> back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
> database works fine.
>
> After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
> form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
> first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>
> I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
> problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
> one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?
>
> THANKS
> Sigurd Andersen

0
GVaught
3/2/2004 11:48:18 PM
The database at the client site is sitting on a server, is not split,
and is used only by one person. But the problem occurs even when the
database is stored on the computer from which it is opened. If it is
opened by Access 2000, things work fine. If it is opened by Access 2002
(XP), it crashes - consistently - when the first field in a new record
is filled out. Other things in the database work fine - though on one
occasion I did see it crash (Access 2002 again) after just clicking
around to various tabs, fields, etc. in the database.

Before the latest round of changes to the database, it crashed right
after filling in and leaving the 7th or 8th field (same place every
time, not sure of the field count) in a new record - that field has a
macro (issues a "Refresh" command and nothing more) that runs on event
"On Lost Focus". Don't know if this has any relevance.

GVaught wrote:
> How is this database used? Is the database split? Where the back-end (tables
> only) reside on a network server and the front-end (linked tables, queries,
> forms, reports, macros, modules) reside on each user's machine. If not, here
> is where the problem may lie; a database that is going to be shared among
> multiple users, should use a split database.
>
> If the database resides on a network server or other workstation as a whole
> database, shared by multiple users, you are opening the database for major
> corruption. Corruption that may never be able to be repaired.
>

> "Sigurd Andersen" <sigurd@sover.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
>>(around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
>>Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
>>running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
>>adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
>>want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").
>>
>>This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
>>computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
>>this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
>>occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
>>just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
>>After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
>>back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
>>database works fine.
>>
>>After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
>>form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
>>first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>>
>>I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
>>problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
>>one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>>
>>Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?
>>
>>THANKS
>>Sigurd Andersen

0
Sigurd
3/4/2004 4:15:39 AM
I solved my problem earlier today. The form causing problems had as a
data source a query combining a project and a client table. When I
changed it to get data only from the project table, it stopped crashing.
Thanks to everyone who suggested possible reasons for my problems.

Sigurd Andersen wrote:
> I have  a client for whom I've created a fairly extensive database
> (around 30 tables, lots of queries, forms, reports) that works fine in
> Access 2000 (on a client PC running Windows 98 and on my computer
> running Windows XP Pro). When they use the database in Access 2002,
> adding data to a new record crashes MS Access ("program died - do you
> want to send a message to Microsoft about this error?").
>
> This happens consistently both at the client's site and on one of our
> computers (in both cases running Windows XP Pro and Office XP). Before
> this week the client was getting around the error because it did not
> occur until he had entered information in about a dozen fields and had
> just left one that triggered a "Refresh" command on leaving the field.
> After Access crashed, he could compact and repair the database and get
> back into it, and the new record would be there. Everything else in the
> database works fine.
>
> After making some additions to the database (including modifying the
> form in question) the crash occurs when entering information in the
> first field in the form (a combo box to select a customer ID).
>
> I can add a record directly to the query that underlies the form with no
> problem. I created a simple form with only two fields (the combo box and
> one other required field) and could add a record that way too.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to debug and correct this problem?
>
> THANKS
> Sigurd Andersen
0
Sigurd

Problem replicating public folders from 2000 -> 2003 after migration
Hi all We have almost finished migration of our existing Small Business Server 2000 - Exchange Server 2000 (Build 6249.4 SP3) to a new server running Windows Server 2003 (v5.2.3790) and Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise (Build 7226.6 SP1). Migration of mail has completed successfully but we are having a major issue replicating public folders and system information (eg. Offline address book) to the new server. Replication is set up as per microsoft KB article Q307917 and now (several hours later) we are seeing the following under the replication status: Server Name Replication Sta...

How to retrieve IP Address of a computer without using Sockets?
I am doing a project in VC.But I have no more knowledge in VC. How to retrieve IP Address of a computer without using Sockets in VC?I have also needed VC code for retrieving Operating System name of Computer.Plz any one help me.......... Does GetHostName/GetHostByName work for you? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ponny" <mnair.lekshmi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1165291428.410415.34310@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > I am doing a project in VC.But I have no more knowledge in VC. How to > retrieve IP Address of a computer without using Sockets...

Using Word 2003 as email editor in Outlook 2003
Hi When I try to use Word 2003 as my email editor I get instead: " Microsoft Word is set to be your email editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook email editor will be used instead." This used to work prior to my changing file servers at work a couple of weeks ago. I have tried a LOT of suggestions, including those in the Show Help button of the error dialog and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906307/en-us and here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/wizard.mspx?query=word+as+outlook...

Cannot change line/object color in Publisher 2002
Anyone who can help: I'm using an older version of Publisher (2002). I was working on a floor plan for a project when suddenly, all the lines and borders disappeared. I am now unable to make any selection to change the line color--the selection defaults to a blank option no matter what color I choose, creating essentially invisible objects and lines in my files, even new ones. I uninstalled and reinstalled Publisher twice to no effect--the problem persists. (Interestingly, the same files when opened in Publisher 2002 on another machine display fine.) Is there something else that co...

Selecting two different columns in excel using VSTO
I am using VSTO 2005 SE to create a radar chart in excel workbook. the data is present in a worksheet in the format HighBrand Application 1 Application 2 3 -1 -1 3.3 -1.1 -1.1 3.3 -1.1 -1.1 3.3 -1.1 -1.1 2.7 -0.9 -0.9 3.45 -1.15 -1.15 2.4 -0.8 -0.8 3 -1 -1 3.45 -1.15 -1.15 2.7 -0.9 -0.9 2.7 -0.9 -0.9 0 0 I am trying to create one radar chart for each application along with the highbrand values, so if there are 5 applications, there should be 5 charts created and each chart plotting highbrand value with the application value in it. C...

outlook blocked access to potentially unsafe item, archive .pst
Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. "Egro" <Egro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BC04C1-B005-43CF-ABA5-9C171EA74B9F@microsoft.com... > Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. As far as I can tell, there is no error message in Outlook 2003 that states a file "is enormous". You should zip a PST before sending or rename it to, say, ".psx" or ".ps_" before you send it. The recipient can undo the steps you took to send it. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

sql server 2000: most frequented tables -> script wanted
hallo, could someone please provide me a script, which throws the most frequented tables used within a sql server 2000 database? i am aware of one (see below) for sql server 2005, but due to new functionalities within sql server 2005 it can not be backported. SELECT TOP 20 db_name(database_ID), object_name(object_id), leaf_insert_count, leaf_delete_Count, leaf_update_count, range_scan_count, row_lock_count FROM sys.dm_db_index_operational_stats(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL) WHERE db_name(database_ID)='<Datenbank-Name>' ORDER BY leaf_update_count desc --oder ...

Access Mulit users in form keep stumbling over each other
I've got a front end Access database that has the form and a backend Accessdatabase that has the data. I would like mulitple users to be able to enter information into the form but they keep stumbling on each others work when they are doing so. My database is very simple, the table has 2 columns one has the account number of customers and the other is where the workers will fill in Yes or No. The users open the form copy the account number, enter it into a program, and review it. If they account is positive for what they are looking for, they mark yes or no and go onto the next record....

Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachment blah.url
How do I lower security settings in order to receive all attachments?? What version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Googy <googy55@pacbell.net> asked: | How do I lower security settings in order to receive all attachments?? Me to. I have Outlook XP and getting quit tired of not being able to get need attachments. I hope somebody has the answer. OL 2000 SP-3 Corproate/Workgroup with security update Thanks GG "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

printing emails in outlook (2000/2002)
I am trying to find a simple way to print only the first page of an received email. I cannot seem to figure it out. whether the email is in html, plain or rich text, I cannot print only the first page. any ideas/tricks? thanks davit ...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

Exchange 2000 data store size does not shrink
Hi, We have an exchage 2k store that is ~16GB. We have archived ~ 5GB (PST files)and did an offline defrag but the db has shrunk by less than 2%. Currently it will not mount even with the evn when we set the temp size increase registry switch. Any ideas? In news:2B3413A7-9F3D-44E9-A0D1-06E7B1D55135@microsoft.com, KCHobson <KCHobson@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > > We have an exchage 2k store that is ~16GB. We have archived ~ 5GB > (PST files)and did an offline defrag but the db has shrunk by less > than 2%. Currently it will not mount even with the ...

Adding custom pages to Windows Control Panel using MFC
Hi, Is there anybody know how to add a custom page to Windows Control Panel using MFC? I found some code on Internet but that was written in Win32 API. Also tried to find the material on MSDN but the content is pretty old (if I am correct) : http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnarvc/html/msdn_ntcplapp.asp Thanks. Is this what you're looking for? http://www.codeproject.com/shell/cpl.asp Tom <hugheslin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145355183.002746.18420@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there anybody know how to add a cus...

Attaching an email or a scanned document to an Access Report
In my original database (now two years old), I added a paragraph of text in a memo field in a record. Now, after a group reorganization, I will be getting additional e-mailed information and/or hard copy that has to become part of that record. I am planning to scan the hard-copy to create an attachable document and/or open the email and somehow include the attachment to the Access record. Does anyone have any suggestions or examples? Would hyperlinking be the way to go? Sorry, I meant to mention I'm using Access 2003 and the documents are usually 2-3 pages long. "Help Elimin...

Query to Access : does'nt see tables
Office 2000 SP3 FR From Excel / MS Query, I want to read data in Access tables. I choose the mdb file and so MS Query displays this error message (translated) : "This data source does'nt have any visible table". Original in French : "Cette source de donn�es ne contient aucune table visible." I transfert my data to a new mdb file : it work's few times (!), then the error message appears again. How to resolve this problem ? Jacques. Gotcha ! MS Query does'nt accept a file name with 2 dot inside ! Example : MyFile.mdb --> Ok My.File.mdb --> "...

To identify fields / button of another application using MFC
Hi, I need some MFC written code that can control another application. Its like - I need to write an application that can identify another application running on the system and then identify their Fields so i can put in text into the fields and click on the buttons. Similar to what a record and playback automation tool can do (you show the tool where the fields are and what to put and where toclick - he tool will do it automatically) eg : the code shud be able to identify that the calulator application is running - so he types in the values : 2 , presses the button '+' and typ...

using DoCmd.OutputTo for reports: event code doesn't execute
I use DoCmd.OpenReport and the Load event code gets executed. But when I use the DoCmd.OutputTo for the same report, the load event code does NOT execute. Is this normal and I missed the documentation that says this or is there a property that I need to set? Thanks for any help. --Michael ...

Outlook 2002
I use outlook 2002 on a Windows NT SP6a machine. While using outlook, i have noticed that sometimes the keys c, v, t and h stop working. however, i can use them in notepad. i can also use them in outlook if i put the caps lock on and use the shift key. if i restart outlook, the problem goes away. sometimes the problem goes away as well on its own without having to restart. any idea what is happening? language is set as english (Australia) ...

Outlook 2000, large pst file slow to open or corrupt
Hi, this is a very frustratring problem I hope someone canhelp us with. I've established that the outlook.pst file is either too large of corrupt. I've run scanpst which found no problem, the pst file is 2gb! should this cause a problem? I can't reduce the size of the file, although is will open, it won't let me delete of move anything or even archive - reporting that it can;t access the pst file although I can open it and browse contacts and messages (it's very slow doing this though) How can I reduce the size of this file in another way? See if this info helps: http:...

Outlook 2002 needs to close error message
I am a new user and am using in combination with ACT!. Outlook 2002 does two things consistently which slows down my work: 1. 2-3 times an hour I receive the message "Outlook 2002 needs to close" this often happens in the middle of writing an email or saving contacts to ACT! 2. Each time I close out of Outlook it sends an error saying that it needs to restart the session, do I want to send a report? (I've sent dozens.) I end up waiting for the restart and then closing which it does promptly. How do I eliminate these problems, especially #1? Thank you ...

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

Add more than one series to a pivot chart using VB MS Access continued...
I'm trying to programmatically create a stacked bar pivot chart. Using "Programming Microsoft Office Access 2003" by Rick Dobson, I've created the chart. However, it doesn't distinguish between the different values for the series. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a chart using one column containing three values for the series? Essentially, this is a continuation of a previous post: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/e23f3506a6d561a0/674295d410a71cf9%23674295d410a71cf9" Any help is greatly appre...

Db template that can handle making book indices?
Does anyone know if there is a template that can be used to create printed book indices? The indices are those pages usually found at the back of books that allow you to find information in any book quickly and easily. The difficulty is that some books, as an example even cookbooks, don't have a comprehensive enough index so it would be nice to create one's own esp. for books we use quite frequently where we'd like to create a booklet we tuck into the book so that when we go to do research, we can find anything. As an example, I'd like to use a cookbook because it...

Randowm data corruption Money 2002
Help! I use Money 2002 Deluxe & Business to manage 6 business bank accounts and 2 petty cash accounts. All of a sudden, Money has started to randomly change some of the entries in the petty cash accounts. It changes them in increments of $50, $100, $150 or $200. For example, one entry that was originally $200 on Jan 1, now reads $400. One on 2/2/04 for $70.40 now reads $170.40. Conversely, on 4/17, the amount was $800 and it is $600! There are some 20 such changes that I have detected so far. I am the only one using this program. I can't see any pattern to the changes (payee, ...

Outlook Web Access
Hello all, Outlook Web Access has been rolled out to my organization. It's particularly useful in areas where PCs are shared among numerous people and are logged onto the network with generic IDs. The problem I'm experiencing is that when an account is ready for a password change, there is no notification to the user before logging into Outlook Web Access. This is a problem because after three checks of their email, they can no longer get into their email. Now I'm not an Exchange server person, but I need to get some ideas to present to the Networking Staff. Does anyo...