Access 2.0 Converter for Access 2003

I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
my access 2003 software for data extraction.  Thinking I
would be finished in no time...
BAM
Access 2.0 converter needed to open file...
ok.
I try Microsoft online...  sign in.  sign in. fill form.
copy Key from access.     "Not a valid key"  I've not yet
installed my complimentary "Full Version" of office 2003.
So just to be granted the privalege to download this
(simple?) patch I must quit what I'm working on, Install
Office system 2003,  re-endure the multipart forms route
to a mailbox somewhere.  And then sit and check my email
until I've wasted all afternoon on trying to open a file.

Sorry for the rant.  If anyone knows how I can get this
component easier please email
<mailto://smiley.dave@sinca.biz>.
thank you

BTW.  I do have visual studio tools for office sys. 2003
any quick schemas I can look at to patch this up?
0
Smiley

I too need an access 2.0 converter.  If you find a way to get it can you please let me know

     ----- Smiley Dave wrote: ----

[...]

I'm sorry to hear about any problems you are having contacting support, but
the only way to obtain the Access 2.0 Converter is by contacting support.
The Access 2.0 Converter it is not available on the public download site.
There is more information about that in the Microsoft KB at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830271&Product=acc
2003. The support agent you talk to will be able to assist you in obtaining
the files.

--
Regards,
Mike Wachal

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:21:13 -0800, wecare wrote:

> I too need an access 2.0 converter.  If you find a way to get it can you
please let me know.

>      ----- Smiley Dave wrote: -----
>
>      I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
>      help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
>      my access 2003 software for data extraction.  Thinking I
>      would be finished in no time...
>      BAM
>      Access 2.0 converter needed to open file...
>      ok.
>      I try Microsoft online...  sign in.  sign in. fill form.
>      copy Key from access.     "Not a valid key"  I've not yet
>      installed my complimentary "Full Version" of office 2003.
>      So just to be granted the privalege to download this
>      (simple?) patch I must quit what I'm working on, Install
>      Office system 2003,  re-endure the multipart forms route
>      to a mailbox somewhere.  And then sit and check my email
>      until I've wasted all afternoon on trying to open a file.
>
>      Sorry for the rant.  If anyone knows how I can get this
>      component easier please email
>      <mailto://smiley.dave@sinca.biz>.
>      thank you
>
>      BTW.  I do have visual studio tools for office sys. 2003
>      any quick schemas I can look at to patch this up?

0
Mike
12/30/2003 12:51:48 AM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:21:13 -0800, wecare <wecare@uti.com> wrote:

>I too need an access 2.0 converter.  If you find a way to get it can you please let me know.
>
>     ----- Smiley Dave wrote: -----
>
>     I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
>     help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
>     my access 2003 software for data extraction.  Thinking I
>     would be finished in no time...
>     BAM
>     Access 2.0 converter needed to open file...
>     ok.
>     I try Microsoft online...  sign in.  sign in. fill form.
>     copy Key from access.     "Not a valid key"  I've not yet
>     installed my complimentary "Full Version" of office 2003.
>     So just to be granted the privalege to download this
>     (simple?) patch I must quit what I'm working on, Install
>     Office system 2003,  re-endure the multipart forms route
>     to a mailbox somewhere.  And then sit and check my email
>     until I've wasted all afternoon on trying to open a file.
>
>     Sorry for the rant.  If anyone knows how I can get this
>     component easier please email
>     <mailto://smiley.dave@sinca.biz>.
>     thank you
>
>     BTW.  I do have visual studio tools for office sys. 2003
>     any quick schemas I can look at to patch this up?

Create a new .mdb in Access 2003, then import all objects from your
Access 2.0 database (Menu File / Get External Data / Import...)
Although this is an "undocumented" feature, in most situation it works
just fine.

HTH
Matthias Kl�y
--
www.kcc.ch
0
> >     ----- Smiley Dave wrote: -----
> >
> >     I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
> >     help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
> >     my access 2003 software for data extraction.
[...]
> Create a new .mdb in Access 2003, then import all objects from your
> Access 2.0 database (Menu File / Get External Data / Import...)
> Although this is an "undocumented" feature, in most situation it works
> just fine.

As you can see, that was the method that was attempted. You still need the
converter in Access 2003.

--
Bruce M. Thompson, Microsoft Access MVP
bthmpson@mvps.org (See the Access FAQ at http://www.mvps.org/access)
>> NO Email Please. Keep all communications
     within the newsgroups so that all might benefit.<<

0
Bruce
12/30/2003 12:59:25 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:59:25 -0500, "Bruce M. Thompson"
<bthmpson@big_NOSPAM_foot.com> wrote:

>> >     ----- Smiley Dave wrote: -----
>> >
>> >     I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
>> >     help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
>> >     my access 2003 software for data extraction.
>[...]
>>
>> Create a new .mdb in Access 2003, then import all objects from your
>> Access 2.0 database (Menu File / Get External Data / Import...)
>> Although this is an "undocumented" feature, in most situation it works
>> just fine.
>
>As you can see, that was the method that was attempted. You still need the
>converter in Access 2003.

Yes, I just tried it. This is different from Access 2000/2002.
However, it seems that only the code cannot be imported. Thus, a
(maybe tedious) workaround would be to export the code by hand from
the Access 2 database into text files, delete the code, import all
objects in Access 2003, then copy and paste the code back in.

Matthias Kl�y
--
www.kcc.ch
0
> >As you can see, that was the method that was attempted. You still need the
> >converter in Access 2003.
>
> Yes, I just tried it. This is different from Access 2000/2002.

That is correct.

> However, it seems that only the code cannot be imported.

I believe that is correct.

> Thus, a
> (maybe tedious) workaround would be to export the code by hand from
> the Access 2 database into text files, delete the code, import all
> objects in Access 2003, then copy and paste the code back in.

Keep in mind that you will still need to rewrite most of the code, which is what
the converter is intended to *help* with.

:-)
--
Bruce M. Thompson, Microsoft Access MVP
bthmpson@mvps.org (See the Access FAQ at http://www.mvps.org/access)
>> NO Email Please. Keep all communications
     within the newsgroups so that all might benefit.<<

0
Bruce
12/31/2003 9:21:11 PM
> Yes, I just tried it. This is different from Access 2000/2002.

Interesting.  Possibly connected to the problems using SourceSafe
with A2003.

(david)

"Matthias Klaey" <mpky@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >[...]
> >>
> >> Create a new .mdb in Access 2003, then import all objects from your
> >> Access 2.0 database (Menu File / Get External Data / Import...)
> >> Although this is an "undocumented" feature, in most situation it works
> >> just fine.
> >
> >As you can see, that was the method that was attempted. You still need
the
> >converter in Access 2003.
>
> Yes, I just tried it. This is different from Access 2000/2002.
> However, it seems that only the code cannot be imported. Thus, a
> (maybe tedious) workaround would be to export the code by hand from
> the Access 2 database into text files, delete the code, import all
> objects in Access 2003, then copy and paste the code back in.
>
> Matthias Kl�y
> --
> www.kcc.ch

0
david
1/2/2004 2:12:00 AM
Ok... Enough with this problem..... Problem SOLVED!  If you are on the phone
waiting for Microsoft hang up.  I went out and fould an article about this
problem.
Here is MS's answer (which you may have found) --->
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;830271
And here is the fix ---->
http://www.plexinet.com/knowledge/software/index.php?view=full&artID=77
I have Access 97, 2000, XP and 2003 on my computer so I just copied the
files from the Office 2000 Directory into the office 2003 directory and it
worked.  They are the same file size and date MS has showing on the KB
article.  I don't know why they don't just tell you that.  Just find someone
that has Access 2000 and search for the files msacnv30.exe and msacnv30.dll
in the office directory.  After you find them copy them into the office11
directory.  Problem solved!  It worked for me.  If this fixes your problem
drop me a line, thanks.

Rick Toner, MCSD
RTonerII@Big_NOSPAM_foot.com  (Don't forget to take out _NOSPAM_, hehe)

"Smiley Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't have the patience for the "free" Microsoft online
> help.  I am trying to import some old access DB files into
> my access 2003 software for data extraction.  Thinking I
> would be finished in no time...
> BAM
> Access 2.0 converter needed to open file...
> ok.
> I try Microsoft online...  sign in.  sign in. fill form.
> copy Key from access.     "Not a valid key"  I've not yet
> installed my complimentary "Full Version" of office 2003.
> So just to be granted the privalege to download this
> (simple?) patch I must quit what I'm working on, Install
> Office system 2003,  re-endure the multipart forms route
> to a mailbox somewhere.  And then sit and check my email
> until I've wasted all afternoon on trying to open a file.
>
> Sorry for the rant.  If anyone knows how I can get this
> component easier please email
> <mailto://smiley.dave@sinca.biz>.
> thank you
>
> BTW.  I do have visual studio tools for office sys. 2003
> any quick schemas I can look at to patch this up?

0
Rick

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Rollup 2 and Office 2007