2000 to 2003: Drop-down box crashes system inconsistantly

2000 version works fine.
Users that run 2003 on XP crash when they use the drop-down box, which,
after update opens filtered form.
Solution: They copy the source FE file from the network location to local
HD, then it works for a while, until it crashes again. Then they replace
local file with network source. Weeks go by without a problem, on other days
they have to do this 3-6 times a day. Source file remains the same.
Very strange!!!!!
                          Anyone any ideas??????

Presumably this combo is unbound.

First thing to try is to force the record save before trying to do the next
thing. This clears any pending events for the control and for the form, and
unlocks the record edit. That can avoid several issues. The code is just:
    If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

The next thing it to ensure that Name AutoCorrect is off. Details:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html
Then compact.

If you ever edit this in A2003, I suggest you also decompile the database by
entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
Then open in A2000, compact, compile, and release an MDE. This should stop
the FE from decompiling or altering the objects.

If that does not solve the problem, provide details of the combo's RowSource
and AfterUpdate.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.

"AlohaMike" <AlohaMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 2000 version works fine.
> Users that run 2003 on XP crash when they use the drop-down box, which,
> after update opens filtered form.
> Solution: They copy the source FE file from the network location to local
> HD, then it works for a while, until it crashes again. Then they replace
> local file with network source. Weeks go by without a problem, on other
> days
> they have to do this 3-6 times a day. Source file remains the same.
> Very strange!!!!!
>                          Anyone any ideas??????

0
Allen
8/10/2005 6:29:39 AM
Mike,

To begin with, all users *must* have their own, dedicated local copy of
the FE, or you're in for corruptions. Now, on your perticular problem
with 2003 on XP, it may be something to do with A03 and WinXP updates
you have not installed.

If you identify the source of the problem in the .mdb itself, and are
able to fix it, then my suggestion is you treat the mixed environment as
such. That is to say, make an upgraded A03 version of the front end
(fixing the problem), leaving the back end as is (A2K). Put both
versions of the FE on the server, where it is copied from on users'
machines. On each machine, copy the appropriate version of the FE.

I also have a mixed environment, and this approach solved my problems.
Moreover, I am using an installation and a FE refresher .exe, which I
amdended to  look for C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11, which
only exists if the Office version is 2003; if found, the A03 version is
copied, otherwise the A2K version is copied.

HTH,
Nikos
0
Nikos
8/10/2005 6:41:42 AM
Dead on: Yes, unbound combo. I found your tips earlier today (bookmarked your
webpage) and did the decompile. Now it is in testing with the users, who have
not reported back yet.
I believe I had once compacted with 2003 by mistake. This was about the time
the trouble started.

Thanks for all your great tips on here.

Mahalo nui loa and Aloha!
Michael

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> Presumably this combo is unbound.
>
> First thing to try is to force the record save before trying to do the next
> thing. This clears any pending events for the control and for the form, and
> unlocks the record edit. That can avoid several issues. The code is just:
>     If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
>
> The next thing it to ensure that Name AutoCorrect is off. Details:
>     http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html
> Then compact.
>
> If you ever edit this in A2003, I suggest you also decompile the database by
> entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
> running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
>     "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>         "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
> Then open in A2000, compact, compile, and release an MDE. This should stop
> the FE from decompiling or altering the objects.
>
> If that does not solve the problem, provide details of the combo's RowSource
> and AfterUpdate.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.
>
> "AlohaMike" <AlohaMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 2000 version works fine.
> > Users that run 2003 on XP crash when they use the drop-down box, which,
> > after update opens filtered form.
> > Solution: They copy the source FE file from the network location to local
> > HD, then it works for a while, until it crashes again. Then they replace
> > local file with network source. Weeks go by without a problem, on other
> > days
> > they have to do this 3-6 times a day. Source file remains the same.
> > Very strange!!!!!
> >                          Anyone any ideas??????

Aloha Nikos,
Every user does have their local mdb and mdw file, refreshed on logon
through GPO script.
BE is SQLServer 2k.
I have NOT identified any problems in the drop-down box code, since it seems
to crash randomly. After working for long periods of time, it crashes. And
re-copying the same source file from the net "fixes" the problem. So I doubt
there is an error with the code.
I will try Allen's suggestions, they are in testing by now (de-and
recompile). If this does not work, then I would hate to have two versions to
maintain but I will then try your solution. Many thanks for your answer.
Mahalo and Aloha,
Michael

"Nikos Yannacopoulos" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> To begin with, all users *must* have their own, dedicated local copy of
> the FE, or you're in for corruptions. Now, on your perticular problem
> with 2003 on XP, it may be something to do with A03 and WinXP updates
> you have not installed.
>
> If you identify the source of the problem in the .mdb itself, and are
> able to fix it, then my suggestion is you treat the mixed environment as
> such. That is to say, make an upgraded A03 version of the front end
> (fixing the problem), leaving the back end as is (A2K). Put both
> versions of the FE on the server, where it is copied from on users'
> machines. On each machine, copy the appropriate version of the FE.
>
> I also have a mixed environment, and this approach solved my problems.
> Moreover, I am using an installation and a FE refresher .exe, which I
> amdended to  look for C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11, which
> only exists if the Office version is 2003; if found, the A03 version is
> copied, otherwise the A2K version is copied.
>
> HTH,
> Nikos

Outlook 2003 News

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Publisher 2007 frequently crashes

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Outlook 2000 running on XP
After setting up a mail account and indicating that I want all passwords remembered I constantly get promoted to enter a password when I send and/or receive mail. I have clicked remember password in all dialoges during the setup process and via the Properties dialog following the creation of the account. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully accepted Thanks "Ross Andrews" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fb4801c45886$24eab500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After setting up a mail account and indicating that I > want all passwords reme...

Excel 2003

Outllok 2003 reply with wrong account
Howdy - I have Outlook 2003. For some reason my new pc has started doing the same thing as my previous one. I have 5 email accounts. When a person sends me an email to my default account and I reply, it comes from another account. In theory (and it did until the last couple of days) it should come from the account I received the email in.... I change the smtp settings on the accounts as I travel a lot, but other than that I haven't changed anything that I know of to cause this - anyone had the same problem, or better yet - know how to fixt it???!!! Thanks in advance Ron ...