Word 2003 - Force Page Info Field Refresh/Repagination Via Macro

Hello!

I am working on a Word 2003 template with the following:

- the page header includes the following fields:
{ IF {NUMPAGES \* MERGEFORMAT } = 1 “” { PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT } \*
MERGEFORMAT }
- the body has a FORMTEXT form field plus a table of FORMTEXT form fields
- the footer has {FILENAME} and {SAVEDATE}
- the body has no specific sections defined

I worked on similar templates about 10 yrs. ago and got around the field and
form field refresh/update problems by flipping to a print preview then back
to force both the page and file info fields to refresh. That was a very tacky
looking solution user-presentation-wise. This time, I created
UpdateAllFields() to update all of the field and form fields. Essentially, if
it was a successful save, I update the fields, then resave so everything is
current. PROBLEM: This updates everything EXCEPT the page info fields.

I want the true page numbers reflected when a person saves, saves as, and
reopens the doc. The desired effect is no page number on page 1 if there is
only one page, otherwise show a page number on every page, but the problem
can be simplified even further. Even a plain page number on page 1 isn’t
accurately reflected when the doc goes from 2 pages down to 1 and is
saved/saved as, then reopened.

I’ve spent the last day pouring over knowledge base articles, Word 2003
Help, and this community boning up on the object model and looking for an
easy-to-comprehend and tasteful solution. All I’ve become is more confused.

What code can I add to UpdateAllFields() to refresh the page info fields so
they are saved correctly in doc’s built with this template? Am I stuck
flipping to a print preview, then back, then resaving?

I’ve included my FileSave(), FileSaveAs(), and UpdateAllFields() for your
reference. ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Vesna

Sub FileSave()
' FileSave Macro - Saves the active document or template
On Error GoTo FileSave_error
    ActiveDocument.Save     ' File, Save
    ' if user completed File, Save or ctrl+S action
    ' force refresh of all fields, including those in header & footer
    UpdateAllFields
    ' force resave so header and footer updates are also saved
    ActiveDocument.Save
    Exit Sub
FileSave_error:
    ' if user DIDN'T complete File, Save or ctrl+S action
    ' or other error encountered
    Exit Sub
End Sub

Sub FileSaveAs()
' FileSaveAs Macro - Saves a copy of the document in a separate file
    Dim retval As Integer
    retval = Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show       ' File, Save As...
    If retval = -1 Then   ' if dialog box closed with OK
        ' force refresh of all fields, including those in header & footer
        UpdateAllFields
        ' force resave so updates are also saved
        ActiveDocument.Save
    End If
End Sub

Sub UpdateAllFields()
    ' update all fields
    Dim aStory As Range
    Dim aField As Field
    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
        For Each aField In aStory.Fields
            aField.Update
        Next aField
    Next aStory

    ' update page numbers
    ' CODE IS NEEDED HERE!!!!

End Sub

--
Vesna

Use the Different First Page option and put the page number in the Primary
Header/Footer and leave it out of the First Page Header/Footer.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vesna" <ajdeigrajkolo@kvs1985.us> wrote in message
> [...]
>    ' if user DIDN'T complete File, Save or ctrl+S action
>    ' or other error encountered
>    Exit Sub
> End Sub
>
> Sub FileSaveAs()
> ' FileSaveAs Macro - Saves a copy of the document in a separate file
>    Dim retval As Integer
>    retval = Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show       ' File, Save As...
>    If retval = -1 Then   ' if dialog box closed with OK
>        ' force refresh of all fields, including those in header & footer
>        UpdateAllFields
>        ' force resave so updates are also saved
>        ActiveDocument.Save
>    End If
> End Sub
>
> Sub UpdateAllFields()
>    ' update all fields
>    Dim aStory As Range
>    Dim aField As Field
>    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges

0
Doug
5/13/2010 9:49:28 AM
Doug,

Thanks for the reminder about the primary header vs. the first and second
page headers. I tried a number of different things. It does not work as I'd
like. Unless I'm not doing something right, I can get page 1 to (1) always
have no number or (2) always be numbered 1.

I only want a page number on page 1 if there is more than one page.

I believe I need to use the IF formula to accomplish that. In that case, I
need to know how to refresh the page-related field codes in the header
without resorting to flipping the document to Print Preview and back.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!

--
Vesna

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >    ' if user DIDN'T complete File, Save or ctrl+S action
> >    ' or other error encountered
> >    Exit Sub
> > End Sub
> >
> > Sub FileSaveAs()
> > ' FileSaveAs Macro - Saves a copy of the document in a separate file
> >    Dim retval As Integer
> >    retval = Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show       ' File, Save As...
> >    If retval = -1 Then   ' if dialog box closed with OK
> >        ' force refresh of all fields, including those in header & footer
> >        UpdateAllFields
> >        ' force resave so updates are also saved
> >        ActiveDocument.Save
> >    End If
> > End Sub
> >
> > Sub UpdateAllFields()
> >    ' update all fields
> >    Dim aStory As Range
> >    Dim aField As Field
> >    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges

If you want the page number to only appear on page one if there is more than
one page, then use the following field construction

{ IF { NUMPAGES } > 1 { PAGE }  }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and Alt+F9 to
toggle off their display.

--

> [...]
>> >    ' or other error encountered
>> >    Exit Sub
>> > End Sub
>> >
>> > Sub FileSaveAs()
>> > ' FileSaveAs Macro - Saves a copy of the document in a separate file
>> >    Dim retval As Integer
>> >    retval = Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show       ' File, Save As...
>> >    If retval = -1 Then   ' if dialog box closed with OK
>> >        ' force refresh of all fields, including those in header &
>> > footer
>> >        UpdateAllFields
>> >        ' force resave so updates are also saved
>> >        ActiveDocument.Save
>> >    End If
>> > End Sub
>> >
>> > Sub UpdateAllFields()
>> >    ' update all fields
>> >    Dim aStory As Range
>> >    Dim aField As Field
>> >    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges

0
Doug

macro to remove item between parenthesis
I have written a 957 page book. During the creation of the book I placed many phrases between parenthesis to help me remember characters and dates. For example I have hundreds that are similar to the following: (Amy Justice 749 -memo). I would like a macro that will allow me to delete all occurrences of (xxxxx -memo). In other words it will remove anything between parenthesis, including the parenthesis when the end of the phrase is -memo). This would be enormoulsy helpful. Otherwise I have to go through the entire book page by page searching for "-memo) and then highlighti...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Exchange 2003/Deleting User Account/Email Accounts
Using Exchange 2003 (AD) on Windows 2000, yes 2000, I want to delete email accounts for terminated employees. What is the best way to do that? Our backups keep failing because I have disabled the accounts, but now I want to delete them entirely. Thanks for the help, as always, MG your backups should not be failing because you've disabled accounts...are you doing BLB backups? to delete the mailboxes, in the ESM, select the appropriate mailboxes, do a right-click, select Exchange Tasks, then select "delete mailbox"... "MG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Outlook 2003, corrupt DRAFTS folder
Somehow Ive managed to corrupt the DRAFTS folder. When I attempt to open it, I get the following message: Unable to display the folder. When I try to view the properties I get this message: DRAFTS PROPERTIES - ADMINISTRATION Views assoicated with this folder could not be retrieved. I have tried to detect and repair, uninstall and reinstall, recreate my profile, even registry hacks to try to kill the folder. None of which have worked. Anyone have any ideas? Close Outlook Select Start | Run Enter outlook.exe /ResetFolders (note the space between ".exe" and "/ResetFolder...

Info Store won't start after installing exchange in child domain
We are installing exchange 2003 in a child domain of a domain tree where an exchange 2003 server already exists in the parent domain. Netdiag and DCDiag were both performed before installation and indicated no problems with the general setup. The account used to install exchange has Full Exchange Administration rights at the org. level. The installation completes without any error messages, but it is impossible to start the information store. The store refuses to start and events 9153, 1121 and 5000 are then logged in the event log. Event 1121: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Ac...

Outlook 2003 SMTP?
After upgrading from 2002 to 2003 I cannot send email to anyone in my domain through Outlook 2003. I can do so without problem through Outlook Express. I have created a new mail profile, but this did not resolve the problem. I have removed the email account and recreated it twice, but this did not resolve the problem. Since Outlook Express works, I have removed the email account and imported the email account settings from Outlook Express into Outlook 2003, but this did not resolve the problem. The only thing that DID happen was that after importing the OE email account settings into Outl...

Macro to split the contents in a single cell separated by "," into next cell in that column
Hi, I have sheet 1: column A column B columnC WR# Phase SP# Row2 60625 1-0110 60625RB1,60625NS1,60625GW1,60625BB1 Expected Output on clicking a button: column A column B columnC WR# Phase SP# Row2 60625 1-0110 60625RB1 Row3 60625NS1 Row4 60625GW1 Row5 60625BB1 Is there a way to split the contents in cell C2 separated by comma (,) and place it on next cell in column C itself? Ple...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Exchange 5.5 eseutil on Windows 2003
Am trying to mount a snapshot of a Exchange 5.5 mount onto a Windows 2003 Server to run the eseutil check. Will the Exchange 5.5 eseutil run on Windows 2003 even though Exchange 5.5 is not supported? ...

Encoded Word Documents

Multiple sheets printed to single page
I have a spreadsheet with 3 sheets. Each sheet is just a small table but the column widths are specific, Each sheet is only 3.5 inches tall. I want to print all three sheets on a single page. How do I do this. I've been all over Excell and cant figure it out. Any attempts to merge the sheets ends up modifieing the column widths. Thanks Hi Docwatmo Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#non-contiguous -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Docwatmo" <nospammy.dwatson@linncountyrec.com> wrote in message news:4654a420$0$504$815e3792@...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Page Numbers #15
Publisher 2007 Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Page x of y, where y is the total number of pages. I have found the current page number field (#), but not the total. Go to the Master Page, manually type of x pages after the #. Publisher doesn't count, it will be up to you to type the number of pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ZootRot" <SendMeAsMuchSpamAsPossibleBecauseILoveReceivingSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:e4sBAF2sJHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Publisher 2007 > > Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Pag...

Where are my saved word?

Does Office 2003 Pro Excel have auto-save?
I am trying to set up Auto save in Excel 2003 Pro. I found auto recovery but that is not what I am looking for. I think it may be an add-in. Thanks! ehop, From a previous post by Dave Peterson: If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should work ok. But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave, but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows c...

Outlook 2003
Hello, I can create "search folder" in Outlook 2003, where will be show only messages, that I not reply to message.(NOT UNREAD!, but UNREPLY) Thanks you for help. -- MAd #ICQ: 247356388 No way that I know of... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.on...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Setting up hosted accounts in exchange 2003
We are trying to host another domain on our exchange server. We have added the domain into the recipient policy and have our ISP pointing all mail to our IP. Everything works fine for our main domain that we host. The problem is that we can send to externally but we cannot receive from the outside world. The error we receive when trying to send from an external address is <our address >: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=our address type=A: Host found but no data record of requested type The error on our server is MS Exchange Transport 7002 The error we rec...

Money 2003 Can
I have lost my MS Money 2003 CD Canadian Edition, but I have my Cert of Authenticity. I blew up my machine and am reinstalling everything on the same machine it was on before. Is there anyway I can download the Install files from somewhere to reinstall? I'm willing to call MS support and give my Cert information, but I'm not sure that is necessary. Can anyone give me a recommendation? One more additional question ---- Should I just upgrade? To what product? Obviously using the product I already own is preferred choice, but I would appreciate any feedback. Have a look here: http:/...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7