Running a macro after document as finished rendering?

Hi,

I'd like to update all of the fields in my document when the doc is opened. To do this, I have put ActiveDocument.Fields.Update in the AutoOpen() macro.
This works, except for the fields that are dependant on the number of pages in the document.

By examining the value of the "Number of pages" property in ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties when the macro runs, I see that the number of pages is 3 ( there are actually 26 in my test document ) when the macro runs. If I manually run the macro, the number of pages in this property is correct.

I also found that if I stop the macro for a few seconds, eg by putting a Stop or breakpoint in, the Number of pages property gets updated correctly ( at the same time, I can see the scrollbar changing to reflect the increasing length of the document ).

So, it seems that the AutoOpen() macro runs after the document is loaded into memory ( the full contents are available to the macro ), but before the document is rendered. Is there a way to run a macro after the document is rendered / pagination is finished, or to pause AutoOpen() without user action to restart? Or is there perhaps a better way to update these fields?

thanks,

Wayne.

WPF Datagrid as ComboBox Dropdown Part 2
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5af72df7-5b0b-4ac2-be96-e24127040bbf/wpf-datagrid-as-combobox.aspx
0
Wayne

Use the OnTime technique shown in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/userforms/AutoExecUsertFm.htm. Just replace
the "Tempfm.Show" statement with the ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
statement. Of course, it would be appropriate to rename the ShowForm
macro to something like UpdateAll.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:16:39 -0700, Wayne Butterworth wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to update all of the fields in my document when the doc is opened. To do this, I have put ActiveDocument.Fields.Update in the AutoOpen() macro.
>This works, except for the fields that are dependant on the number of pages in the document.
>
>By examining the value of the "Number of pages" property in ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties when the macro runs, I see that the number of pages is 3 ( there are actually 26 in my test document ) when the macro runs. If I manually run the macro, the number of pages in this property is correct.
>
>I also found that if I stop the macro for a few seconds, eg by putting a Stop or breakpoint in, the Number of pages property gets updated correctly ( at the same time, I can see the scrollbar changing to reflect the increasing length of the document ).
>
>So, it seems that the AutoOpen() macro runs after the document is loaded into memory ( the full contents are available to the macro ), but before the document is rendered. Is there a way to run a macro after the document is rendered / pagination is finished, or to pause AutoOpen() without user action to restart? Or is there perhaps a better way to update these fields?
>
>thanks,
>

>Wayne.
>

>Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>WPF Datagrid as ComboBox Dropdown Part 2
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5af72df7-5b0b-4ac2-be96-e24127040bbf/wpf-datagrid-as-combobox.aspx
0
Jay

Need only one DLL instance to run...

Huge document size
Hi, I have a 8 page Excel xp (2002) document that after save shows 10mb, which is overkill. Most of the data is between A-K and 1-56, simple alphanumeric. How do I troubleshoot this or how can I make it smaller, it's impossible to e-mail. I can zipp it but that doesn't resolve the file size issue. Sincerely, Chris Hi check out the following site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused to clear your used range -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 8 page Excel xp (2002) document that after save shows 10mb, > which is ov...

run time error 10-22-03

Restrict type of files in a document library
There any way to limit the types of files in a specific document library? I know it can be done from the central administration but I understand that this will affect all libraries. The idea is that a given library only accept Office documents for example. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_7C45577A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Vicente, This feature is not available OOB in Libraries or lists. However there can be a workaround using custom event handlers on lists. Event Handler works on lists basis, you can just check for the file extension of...

Automatically run macro

Excel Continuous Running Total

Money 2002 will not run

macro which finds last cell in a column
please help me by telling a macro which finds last cell in a column thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Dim LastRow as Long LastRow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row or if you just want to select it: Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Select Regards Trevor "vikram >" <<vikram.15hp0w@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.15hp0w@excelforum-nospam.com... > please help me by telling a macro which finds last cell in a column > > thanks > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > ...

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

No macros in 2008

Macro to Find, Cut, and Paste
I have 2 LONG columns that I need to make into MANY. I want to find a word in the active column, cut from that word down to the end and the adjacent cells; then paste them at the top of the next column. and do this for all occurences of that word. I'm confused about the two columns. I'm thinking that you want to break up your list of two columns based on the word in column A. But paste both columns to the adjacent columns. So this: $H$1 $B$1 $H$2 $B$2 $H$3 $B$3 $H$4 $B$4 $H$5 $B$5 $H$6 $B$6 $H$7 $B$7 aaaa $B$8 $H$9 $B$9 $H$10 $B$10 $H$11 $B$11 $H...

Pivot tables and macros
i currently use macros to change some downloaded sales information. unfortunately, the volume always changes and I cannot use a macro for creaqting a Pivot table. When i select cell A1 and hit pivot tabel it automatically selcts the range. In my macro it will only select the actual range i recorded. IS there a way to go around that? Thanks Mike You'll have to edit the macro to create a variable range (alt + F11 will bring up the VB Editor). If, for example, your macro recorded the range as "A1:D4200", you'll want to create a variable to capture the final row, th...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Personal Macro file
How do I stop my Personal Macro file from requesting to be Saved each time I exit Excel? This is very annoying and has just started happening after creating some macros to update data from certain clients. -- Mickey If you put this is a standard module you will no longer be prompted to save changes: Sub Auto_Close() ThisWorkbook.Saved = True End Sub Or alternatively, this in the ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Saved = True End Sub Of course, when you do need to save changes, you must remember on your own. -- Jim "Mikey" <...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

Publisher 2000 will not run
I had problems with Publisher 98 not running which we=20 never did solve so I installed office 2000 to see if=20 Publisher 2000 would function. Same problem: The flash=20 screen pops up and then disappears. No program. Microsoft=AE Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has encountered a=20 problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the=20 inconvenience. Howard, hi again, Have you tried opening Publisher in safe mode? Publisher retains all printer information within its publications. If you can open Publisher in safe mode, either regress or update your printer and video drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MV...

Running diferent query with one command
I would like to run queries with just one botton and a date dispalyed in a form. If Sunday March 09, 2008, is dispalyed I would like to click on a button and run a query that will select emloyees that are scheduled to work on this day of the week along with other pertinent information already preselected by that query. Currenlty I am using 7 diferrent buttons to run 7 differnrent append queries but it is too confusing and I am sure there is an better way. Thanks Charles -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200803/1 Why 7 butt...

Macro Warning #2
I've been working on a payroll spreadsheet, suddenly when I open it, I get the macro warning, but I haven't created any macros. Help? Are you using anything from the control toolbox? regardless, open the workbook, press alt + F11, in the project pane to the left check to see if you have any modules, if so right click it/them and select remove module, answer no when prompted, if there are no modules double click each sheet module and ThisWorkbook, delete whatever code might be in those, press alt + Q to close the VBE and then save the workbook. HTH -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom...

Macro automatic run at open
Is there a simple way to have a macro automatically started when a workbook is open? Thanks Francesco Francesco, use the workbook open event, like this, Private Sub Workbook_Open() MsgBox "It Works!" End Sub To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is at the top-left of the spreadsheet this will open the VBA editor to the thisworkbook module, then, paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook, now this will run every time you ...

Win 7 Pro running 64 bit with Outlook 2007. Problem: frequent cras
I have a brand-new computer with i-7 processors and 8 GB of RAM running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. At the time of upgrading to new computer, i upgraded office 2003 to 2007. For the first month, all was well. Suddenly, my computer started crashing regularly, as in every 30 minutes. The screen would go blank, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work, and I would have to do a hard reboot. The store where i bought the PC has done everything imaginable to try to isolate the problem. They have swapped out every component, including the RAM, motherboard, power supply, video card and all ca...

Run AutoDim without running Integration
I wonder how to modify the AutoDim.txt file so that every time the it only execute the macro file to logon into Great Plains, run couple of posting and then logoff Great Plains after posting. Is AutoDim able to run without running any integration? I don't see that happening as it wasn't the original idea behind the application. However if all you want to do is what you are saying, just create a macro to do this and run it via a scheduler. I believe there are several KB articles that talk about macros and dynamics/great plains. patrick developer support -- This posting is...

Macro button on toolbar
Hi How can I make a specific button for a workbook and assign a specific macro program for this. I have a problem of a button run every workbook. Thanks Daniel ...