How to get the text of each selection?

Hi, Dear All

We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if
somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection?

Cheers!

osen

Sorry, it is not really possible. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424.

The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new
blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by
paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any
paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 03:44:01 -0700, OKLover
<OKLover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, Dear All
>
>We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if
>somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection?
>

>Cheers!
>
>osen
0
Jay

Moving the Text only
Is there a way to move text only? If i right click on the border area to move it to another cell (location) a window pops up but the option to <move value only> does not show, only <copy value only> and a list of other things, Say I have a persons name (Mike Smith) in a cell filled with color and a bold border around it and I only want to move the "Mike Smith" text and leave everything else then I want to move another name into that spot with the color filled and border around the new name. I only want to move the text, quick and easy, I hope. Right now I need to highlig...

vlookup and text
howdy. i need to place data in a specific cell by looking up data from a range. some vlookup will contain both numbers and letters (example, 123a). how can i write the formula to look up alpha numerics? here is the formula i am currently using: =IF(V13="","",VLOOKUP(V13,Input!$A$39:$D$239,4,FALSE)) thanx for you help John, the formula is correct, the only thing to keep in mind regarding VLOOKUPs is that it will search for the exact text, numeric or otherwise that the user types in V13. HTH, Kevin M >-----Original Message----- >howdy. i need to place d...

Enabling thread-safe access to a Text file #2
Sorry...accidentally posted it before I cud complete it... Hi, Mine is an MFC application. I have two threads in my application. Both threads write data to the same text file. I have one class that encapsulates all functions to write data to the file, read from the file, clear it etc. called CTextFile. Let me give you the exact scenario. class A { protected: CTextFile m_File; }; class B { protected: CTextFile m_File; }; class CTextFile { private: CString strTextFileName; public: void CreateFile(const CString& strFileName); void WriteData(CString& strData); void ReadData(C...

Changing the Selection Fields in a Combo Box
Hi, I've created a Combo Box using the Controls Wizard. In creating the control, I specified that my unique value to be stored in the table is an ID. When the user views the selection options in the Combo Box, I'd like to have the ID field hidden and only see the text values, while still storing the ID in the appropriate column. This is probably a second question. Also, when the user views a form that has been populated, I'd like them to see the actual textual values on the form, as just the stored ID value. Is that possible to do with the one Combo Box or is that...

What is the main thing to remember to get started in EXCEL?
What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ? Just remember that Excel is not a database, though it can do some database functions, and it is not a word processor, though it can do some word processing functions. Get a good book - one by John Walkenbach would be a good choice: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/index.htm HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Mr.Harrison" <Mr.Harrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3796CE4E-1D28-4BDD-9D8F-E378C10F892F@microsoft.com... > What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ? if you spen...

If text exists
Hi All, Not been around for a while so not even sure how to ask this... I have a spreadsheet consisting of 3 columns, column 1 is text, col 2 is a pseudo date, Like (aug 23) no year shown. colum 3 is a numeric value which can be either + or - shown as 12.35+ or as a negative 345.82- What I need to do is scan column 1 for a certain word, if it is there I need to copy column 3 into column 5 so that I can calculate the total values associated with the string. There is a possibility that there can be anything from 400 - 5000 rows in the sheet. I know it can be done, I just don't kno...

Pasting Text from Outlook into 1 Excel cell
Hi, Any ideas how I can paste text (which has blank lines between it) fro an outlook email into 1 cell in an Excel spreadsheet. When I try th line spaces mean that the text appears in different cells. Thanks in advance, g -- giantwol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- giantwolf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2471 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47169 Don't worry I've sorted it myself after searching previous threads - should have done that first! -- giantw...

Get normal.dot warning when close WordXP
Hello, I'm using WordXP (2003) on a WinXP-pro PC.... When I use Outlook (with my default Word processor set to MSWord), I now always get this error message: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ /!\ Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes? [Yes] [No] [Cancel] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I used to "never" get this error... it just started a few days ago... A "possible" thing was I updated my AdobeAcrobat (full version) soft...

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

How to Select a % of the spreadsheet
I have Excel 2000 and I need to select 60% of a spreadsheet with 4000 lines of data. What is the best way to do this? I will then choose Insert-Name-Define to save this selected 60% of the spreadsheet. Thanks ...

converting text to proper dates
Hi, I have got a column full of "dates" that are actually just text of the form "Jun-06-2008". No matter how I change the formatting of these cells, they are not being read as dates. Is there an automated way for me to convert these into what Excel will recognize as dates? Thanks very much. Excel 2007, if it makes a difference - First thing I do with those is run them through Data>Text to Columns Select entire column then.............. Next>Next>Column Data Format>Date>MDY and finish. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 06:58:23 -0700 (...

outlook 2000 text wrapping problem
Outlook just lost the ability to wrap text when typing a new message. The line extends without wrapping. Turning on Word as the text editor is a workaround but creates more overhead. Am using html formatting and has been working fine up till now. Tried running an MS Office repair but no luck....is there anything short of a complete uninstall/reinstall to solve the problem? Thanks! rockymtntuna <sschaefer@forethought.net> wrote: > Outlook just lost the ability to wrap text when typing a new message. > The line extends without wrapping. Turning on Word as the text > edit...

How to get the next immediately adjacent item in CTreeCtrl?
Hi, I want to loop through all the items in a CTreeCtrl, one by one from top to bottom. CTreeCtrl has the following function, but it seems that nCode doesn't provide an option for getting the next immediately adjacent item. GetNextItem( HTREEITEM hItem, UINT nCode ); Do I have to write a recursive function to traverse the treeview for this purpose (because there are multiple levels of ancestors and offspring)? If so, I will be very surprised that such a simple and useful option can be missing from MFC. GetNextVisibleItem() is very close to what I need. However, it is limited t...

How can I get Exchange to allow different From/Send As?
Even when the e-mail addresses appear in the E-Mail Addresses tab of the person under EMC | Recipient Configuration | Mailbox on the Exchange 2007 server, when entering that address in the From field in Outlook 2007, I get the following error bouncing back to the sender: "You are not allowed to send this message because you are trying to send on behalf of another sender without permission to do so. Please verify that you are sending on behalf of the correct sender, or ask your system administrator to help you get the required permission." Most users have several e-m...

Select Items by supplier from a blank PO
Is there a way to query items from specific suppliers while creating a blank PO? The wizard does not seem very accurate and sometimes creates no POs based off my criteria even when I know there are items linked properly to suppliers. Marc, Maybe its the parameters you are using for the items/suppliers. Make a test item with the proper Reorder point and Reorder Qty, make sure you have the supplier listed for the item. -- * "Marc Arbesman" <MarcArbesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23803CE1-D806-4AFB-A9C4-76E2B9A0DB1E@microsoft.com... Is there a way...

I want to use (c) in an Excel spread sheet. Get rid of copyright
Excel insists on using the copyright symbol where I want to use (c) in a spreadsheet. How do you use plain (c) in a spreadsheet You can keep the autocorrect entry, and just hit ctrl-z (or edit|undo) to undo what excel just did. But if you never want the copyright symbol, you can remove (c) from the autocorrect list. Tools|autocorrect options|autocorrect tab scroll down until you find the (c) entry (mine is right at the top of the list) Gordy Pordy wrote: > > Excel insists on using the copyright symbol where I want to use (c) in a > spreadsheet. > > How do you use plain (...

In Publisher how do I get invoice numbers to update automatically
I am setting up my invoices using Publisher. I have got the date to change automatically, but can I also get the invoice number to change automatically? Thank you. Joe Use Mail Merge. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Mojostone" <Mojostone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7553BE65-97D5-4AAA-AE66-91950B71AB1F@microsoft.com... >I am setting up my invoices using Publisher. I have got the date to change > automatically, but can I also get the invoice number to change > autom...

SELECT/INSERT statements via the RS utility
I'm trying to build a process that will copy reporting services reports using the rs utility. I'd like this process to be able to SELECT and INSERT records from a database. Does anyone have a sample of some code that will show how to issue a SELECT or INSERT statement via a RSS script passed to the RS utility. ...

How do I get a cell value using another cells value
I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet based on the cell value of another E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298 I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in worksheet 2, Cell reference B298 Regards Chris Chris, put in cell a2 =indirect(a1) HTH Andi "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3A53C64-B901-461E-9AC9-06118D50C6C0@microsoft.com... I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet based on the cell value of another E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell referenc...

why do I get sending message 2 of 2 when I only sent 1 email
When I send an e-mail, the status says sending 1 of 2 , sending 2 of 2. I only sent one e-mail. What was the second one for? There are no attachments, CCs or BCCs. Using Outlook 2007? This is quite common then when you have multiple accounts configured. Outlook 2007 has a counting bug which is partly fixed with Service Pack 2. It's just a counting issue, no additional mail is actually sent. Of course, it never hurts to look if you actually have a stuck Read Receipt. To do this see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deletereadreceipt.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Ou...

Text box and "Enter"
Hi, I have a text box on a form which is linked to a memo field in a table. As I enter data in the text box if I press "Enter" it leaves the text box and goes to the next item on my form. Can't you use an Enter within a text box? I want to format the data as I enter it for printing later. Thanks, Phil Phillip wrote: >I have a text box on a form which is linked to a memo field in a table. As >I enter data in the text box if I press "Enter" it leaves the text box and >goes to the next item on my form. Can't you use an Enter within a text ...

How do I get an asp.net gridview row with rounded corners?
Hi asp.net people, I have to implement a look and feel for a asp.net gridview where on hovering a row, it should be highlighted with a (gradient) bar with round corners. I have come as far as to highlight it with a gadient bar, but unto now without the round corners as follows: I made an image with the gradient and use a using a style sheet tot repeat that image in horizontal direction (repeat-x) accros the cells of the row: ..grid .datatable .row:hover { background-position:center; background-repeat:repeat-x; background-image:url(../img/hover.png); } To add the rounde...

Getting External Data with Saved Query
Folks, I am using an excel 2000, and I set up the Microsoft's saved web query "Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy" which ran smoothly, and I was able to refresh the data on my worksheet until some months ago when it stopped working. I have tried setting up a new one that still would not work. Any idea how to get this working again? I have tried rebooting my machine, still no luck. Here is the message which I am getting each time I tried to refresh the query: Unable to open http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?symbol=LU+ Cannot download the information you re...

importing numbers as text
I have a .csv file containing numbers with leading zeros. When I open that file in excel, I lose all the leading zeros and I cannot switch the cell format to text to save them because they are lost immediatly upon opening the file. How do I get excel to not drop the leading zeros? You could format the cells (whole column) after you've imported it or you could rename the .csv file to .txt and you'll see the text to columns wizard--where you can specify text. caleb wrote: > > I have a .csv file containing numbers with leading zeros. > When I open that file in excel, I...