Deleting all hyperlinks

Hi,

I want to delete all hyperlinks from my document, but the following
macro doesn't work

Sub DeleteLinks()
Dim MyHLink As Hyperlink
    For Each MyHLink In ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks
        MyHLink.Delete
    Next MyHLink
End Sub

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Raph
0
mrgou

Hi Raph,

In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need a
For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The first
of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active document to
ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.

Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
    Dim i As Long

    With ActiveDocument
        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
            .Hyperlinks(i).Delete
        Next
    End With
End Sub

Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
    Dim i As Long

    With ActiveDocument
        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
            .Hyperlinks(i).Range.Delete
        Next
    End With
End Sub

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

On 20 d=E9c, 13:28, Pesach Shelnitz <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote:
> In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need =
> For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The fi=
rst
> of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active documen=
t to
> ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.
[snip]
> Hope this helps,

Indeed it does, although I don't understand how your second macro is
different from mine in the end. I thought a For Each loop in a
collection would iterate through all objects of that collection. Your
goes backwards, but why does it make a difference?

Many thanks for your help!

Raph
0
mrgou
12/20/2009 1:04:22 PM
Sub FindAndItalicBoundText()
Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
With oRng.Find
  .ClearFormatting
  .Text = "^^<*>^^"
  .Forward = True
  .Wrap = wdFindStop
  .MatchWildcards = True
  Do While .Execute
    With oRng
      .Characters.First.Delete
      .Characters.Last.Delete
      .Font.Italic = True
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
    End With
  Loop
End With
End Sub

"mrgou" <rgoubet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to delete all hyperlinks from my document, but the following
> macro doesn't work
>
> Sub DeleteLinks()
> Dim MyHLink As Hyperlink
>    For Each MyHLink In ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks
>        MyHLink.Delete
>    Next MyHLink
> End Sub
>
> Any idea why?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Raph

0
Greg
12/20/2009 1:38:03 PM
<I thought a For Each loop in a collection would iterate through all objects
of that collection ...

It does.  For example if you were changing the font color or your hyperlinks
then a basic for each loop like you wrote would be sufficient.

Sub ChangeColor()
Dim MyHLink As Hyperlink
    For Each MyHLink In ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks
        MyHLink.Range.Font.Color = wdColorRed
    Next MyHLink
End Sub

The issue is that you are changing the number of items in the collection as
the procedure runs.  This is sort of like moving the goal posts after a game
begins ;-).

Lets say you have three hyperlinks when you started running your code.  Your
code deletes the first hyperlink in the first interation of the loop.  Then
it deletes the second hyperlink on the next interation. Well while it was
looping Word reindexed the hyperlinks in the collection and the second
hyperlink became the first and the third became the second.  A For Each loop
doesn't look back so therefore the macro ran to completiong leaving the
middle hyperlink unchanged.

If you attempt Pesach's code modified to run forward, the same sort of thing
happens but the compilier will throw an error:

Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
  For i = 1 To .Hyperlinks.Count
    .Hyperlinks(i).Delete
  Next
End With
End Sub

If you stepped through this code using the F8 key you would see that Word
deletes the first indexed hyplerlink (then reindexes the hyperlinks left in
the collection), then deletes the second indexed hyperllink (the original
third has become the second) leaving the new first untouched (the original
second became the new first) then tries to delete the third which doesn't
exists and throws the error.

Pesach's code is designed to delete the last hyperlink in the collection and
continue this until they are all gone.

On 20 d�c, 13:28, Pesach Shelnitz <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote:
> In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need a
> For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The
> first
> of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active document
> ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.
[snip]
> Hope this helps,

Indeed it does, although I don't understand how your second macro is
different from mine in the end. I thought a For Each loop in a
collection would iterate through all objects of that collection. Your
goes backwards, but why does it make a difference?

Many thanks for your help!

Raph

0
Greg
12/20/2009 1:38:53 PM
I'm sorry.  The following response was intended for another post.

"Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in message
> Sub FindAndItalicBoundText()
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
> With oRng.Find
>  .ClearFormatting
>  .Text = "^^<*>^^"
>  .Forward = True
>  .Wrap = wdFindStop
>  .MatchWildcards = True
>  Do While .Execute
>    With oRng
>      .Characters.First.Delete
>      .Characters.Last.Delete
>      .Font.Italic = True
>      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
>    End With
>  Loop
> End With
> End Sub
>

> "mrgou" <rgoubet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to delete all hyperlinks from my document, but the following
>> macro doesn't work
>>
>> Sub DeleteLinks()
>> Dim MyHLink As Hyperlink
>>    For Each MyHLink In ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks
>>        MyHLink.Delete
>>    Next MyHLink
>> End Sub
>>
>> Any idea why?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Raph

0
Greg
12/20/2009 1:42:25 PM
Hi Raph,

Every object in a collection has an index. When you delete an object, the
indices of the remaining objects change (decrease by 1). Thus, when the code
goes to look for the object with the index 2, it won't look for the object
with the index 1 anymore even though there is such an object. The solution is
to start with the highest index and work backwards.

--

"mrgou" wrote:

> On 20 déc, 13:28, Pesach Shelnitz <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need a
> > For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The first
> > of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active document to
> > ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.
> [snip]
> > Hope this helps,
>
> Indeed it does, although I don't understand how your second macro is
> different from mine in the end. I thought a For Each loop in a
> collection would iterate through all objects of that collection. Your
> goes backwards, but why does it make a difference?
>
> Many thanks for your help!
>
> Raph
> .

On 20 d=E9c, 14:38, "Greg Maxey"
<gma...@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
> <I thought a For Each loop in a collection would iterate through all obje=
cts
> of that collection ...

> The issue is that you are changing the number of items in the collection =
as
> the procedure runs. =A0This is sort of like moving the goal posts after a=
 game
> begins ;-).

Got it now. And I learned something in the process.

Thanks!

Raph
0
mrgou
12/20/2009 3:14:20 PM
On 20 d=E9c, 15:19, Pesach Shelnitz <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raph,
>
> Every object in a collection has an index. When you delete an object, the
> indices of the remaining objects change (decrease by 1). Thus, when the c=
ode
> goes to look for the object with the index 2, it won't look for the objec=
> with the index 1 anymore even though there is such an object. The solutio=
n is
> to start with the highest index and work backwards.

Many thanks for the help and explanation!

Raph
0
mrgou
12/20/2009 3:15:06 PM
"Pesach Shelnitz" <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Raph,
>
> In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need a
> For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The
> first
> of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active document
> ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.
>
> Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
>    Dim i As Long
>
>    With ActiveDocument
>        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
>            .Hyperlinks(i).Delete
>        Next
>    End With
> End Sub
>
> Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
>    Dim i As Long
>
>    With ActiveDocument
>        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
>            .Hyperlinks(i).Range.Delete
>        Next
>    End With
> End Sub

In fact, if you have a large number of hyperlinks to delete, the following
versions will be somewhat faster. You probably won't notice much difference
unless there are hundreds or even thousands of hyperlinks in a document.

Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
    Dim i As Long

    With ActiveDocument
        For i = 1 to .Hyperlinks.Count
            .Hyperlinks(1).Delete
        Next
    End With
End Sub

Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
    Dim i As Long

    With ActiveDocument
        For i = 1 to .Hyperlinks.Count
            .Hyperlinks(1).Range.Delete
        Next
    End With
End Sub

The code looks a bit odd - repeatedly deleting the first link - but it works
because you are repeatedly deleting the first hyperlink in the document from
among those that remain after the last deletion.

The reason it is faster is that accessing the first member of a collection
is almost always faster than accessing the last, and the speed advantage
increases with the number of items in the collection.

--
Regards
Jonathan West

0
Jonathan
12/21/2009 3:50:29 PM
Jonathan,

Thanks. That is a lesson re-learned ;-)

"Jonathan West" <jwest@mvps.org> wrote in message

> "Pesach Shelnitz" <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Raph,
>>
>> In general, to delete all the objects from a collection in VBA, you need
>> For loop that iterates through the collection in descending order. The
>> first
>> of the following macros converts all the hyperlinks in the active
>> document to
>> ordinary text, and the second macro completely erases all the hyperlinks.
>>
>> Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
>>    Dim i As Long
>>
>>    With ActiveDocument
>>        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
>>            .Hyperlinks(i).Delete
>>        Next
>>    End With
>> End Sub
>>
>> Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
>>    Dim i As Long
>>
>>    With ActiveDocument
>>        For i = .Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
>>            .Hyperlinks(i).Range.Delete
>>        Next
>>    End With
>> End Sub
>>

> In fact, if you have a large number of hyperlinks to delete, the following
> versions will be somewhat faster. You probably won't notice much
> difference unless there are hundreds or even thousands of hyperlinks in a
> document.
>
> Sub ConvertHyperlinksToText()
>    Dim i As Long
>
>    With ActiveDocument
>        For i = 1 to .Hyperlinks.Count
>            .Hyperlinks(1).Delete
>        Next
>    End With
> End Sub
>
> Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
>    Dim i As Long
>
>    With ActiveDocument
>        For i = 1 to .Hyperlinks.Count
>            .Hyperlinks(1).Range.Delete
>        Next
>    End With
> End Sub
>

> The code looks a bit odd - repeatedly deleting the first link - but it
> works because you are repeatedly deleting the first hyperlink in the
> document from among those that remain after the last deletion.
>
> The reason it is faster is that accessing the first member of a collection
> is almost always faster than accessing the last, and the speed advantage
> increases with the number of items in the collection.
>

> --
> Regards
> Jonathan West

0
Greg

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Cannot delete subreport

Rule for Deleted Items

Hyperlinks in Excel spreadsheets
I want to create a hyperlink in a spreadsheet to a calendar in Outlook. I'm using Office 2000 & Windows XP. Is this possible? ...

Delete macros

How do I set up an incoming hyperlink to a page within a frame?

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

Hyperlinks and bookmarks in protected forms
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a form which contains check boxes, if I protect the document, restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other documents, or bookmarks within the document, will not work. I've tried adding a section break before and after the checklist and just protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in the unprotected section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the hyperlink in a "FollowLink" ma...

#Deleted

outlook deletes inbox mail
On about three occaisions, my computer has restarted itself while Outlook Express, and sometimes other applications have been open, without my prompting it to do so. Upon rebooting, my Outlook inbox messages are completely wiped out, however, my sent folders and deleted messages, address book, ect. remain the same, and with no data lost. Can someone tell me what has happened, or perhaps how I can recover these lost emails? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, C.C. Outlook or Outlook Express? If Outlook Express and you search your drive (use advanced option for hidden f...

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...

Can I recover deleted archived .pst files?
I accidently deleted all of my archived folders, now I need to recover them, is there any way? I had hundreds of e-mails saved that of course I need. Sue State your Outlook version and information store. State how you deleted the files. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "royalpei" <royalpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8236C3C-C139-4B03-B2ED-5B135DE9DCC1@microsoft.com... >I accidently deleted all of my archived folders, now I need to recover >them, > is there any way? I had hundreds of e-mails saved that of course I need. > > Sue &q...

To delete or not to delete
....and that is the question. I was presented with a rather interesting problem this morning. I wanted to manipulate the main menu in my SDI application...simple problem, simple solution: CMenu *pMenu = GetMenu(); // do whatever I need to do with the menu... Now here is the stumper of it all...what do I do with pMenu now? At first I thought that I should call delete on it, however after much thought and many questions later I realized that you should in fact NOT delete pMenu. Here's why: Since pMenu was not explicitly created by you, you do not own it. You are simply creating a point...

Permanently delete only mail from Blocked Senders?
Outlook 2003 Is it possible to configure Junk Email Options to do the following? - Permanently delete mail from Blocked Senders (without sending it to the Junk Email Folder)? - And have suspected junk email from as-yet-unblocked senders sent to the Junk Email Folder (to allow me to determine whether I want to block that sender)? It appears that the "Permanently delete suspected junk email instead of moving it to the Junk Email Folder" checkbox (Junk Email Options > Options tab) would delete suspected junk email from as-yet-unblocked senders -- some of which you might want to re...

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas
I have an excel file that the size will varry. I need a macro that wil check all the fields for a comma. If there is one I would like to ge rid of it. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I have no idea an I have been assigned this task. Hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ron Why not use Edit>Replace. Just leave the "replace with" field empty Regards Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co ----- rontap > wrote: ---- I have an excel file that the size will varry. I need a macro that wil check all the fields for a comma. If there ...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...