Troubleshooting same Word versions - Different doc views

In our office, my coworker and I have the same version of WORD and XP, but
her view of the exact same document is different (wrong).  Mine shows up
correctly.  We've checked everything we know to check such as VIEW, Tools,
Page Setup, settings, etc...and everything matches.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peg

In what way(s) does it differ?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In our office, my coworker and I have the same version of WORD and XP, but
> her view of the exact same document is different (wrong).  Mine shows up
> correctly.  We've checked everything we know to check such as VIEW, Tools,
> Page Setup, settings, etc...and everything matches.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Peg

0
Suzanne
12/11/2009 5:02:49 PM
Suzanne is right -- it's impossible to determine *why* there is a difference
if you don't specify *what* the difference is :-) As a raw guess I'm
assuming that you have different printer drivers.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/11/09 11:47 AM, in article
56038D34-3FEC-4386-9DFD-5FF94B50861E@microsoft.com, "Peggy"
<Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In our office, my coworker and I have the same version of WORD and XP, but
> her view of the exact same document is different (wrong).  Mine shows up
> correctly.  We've checked everything we know to check such as VIEW, Tools,
> Page Setup, settings, etc...and everything matches.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Peg

0
CyberTaz
12/11/2009 5:54:50 PM
This will be hard to explain so I'll do the best I can.  We have physician
orders that are set in rows and columns.  Each box contains a lot of
information so it does not look like a spreadsheet.  When I open a document
like this, mine opens correctly viewing the document as it should, but hers
is opening it showing some of the information on the next line in a box like
it's wrap texting.  We've checked all aspects that we can think of and
everything matches.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Suzanne is right -- it's impossible to determine *why* there is a difference
> if you don't specify *what* the difference is :-) As a raw guess I'm
> assuming that you have different printer drivers.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 12/11/09 11:47 AM, in article
> 56038D34-3FEC-4386-9DFD-5FF94B50861E@microsoft.com, "Peggy"
> <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > In our office, my coworker and I have the same version of WORD and XP, but
> > her view of the exact same document is different (wrong).  Mine shows up
> > correctly.  We've checked everything we know to check such as VIEW, Tools,
> > Page Setup, settings, etc...and everything matches.  Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peg
>
> .

Again, probably a difference in the font file or printer driver; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm

--

> This will be hard to explain so I'll do the best I can.  We have physician
> orders that are set in rows and columns.  Each box contains a lot of
> information so it does not look like a spreadsheet.  When I open a
> document
> like this, mine opens correctly viewing the document as it should, but
> hers
> is opening it showing some of the information on the next line in a box
> like
> it's wrap texting.  We've checked all aspects that we can think of and
> everything matches.
>

> "CyberTaz" wrote:
>
>> Suzanne is right -- it's impossible to determine *why* there is a
>> difference
>> if you don't specify *what* the difference is :-) As a raw guess I'm
>> assuming that you have different printer drivers.
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 12/11/09 11:47 AM, in article
>> 56038D34-3FEC-4386-9DFD-5FF94B50861E@microsoft.com, "Peggy"
>> <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > In our office, my coworker and I have the same version of WORD and XP,
>> > but
>> > her view of the exact same document is different (wrong).  Mine shows
>> > up
>> > correctly.  We've checked everything we know to check such as VIEW,
>> > Tools,
>> > Page Setup, settings, etc...and everything matches.  Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Peg
>>
>> .

0
Suzanne
12/11/2009 7:51:11 PM
Thank you so much!  The printer issue worked!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Again, probably a difference in the font file or printer driver; see
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This will be hard to explain so I'll do the best I can.  We have physician
> > orders that are set in rows and columns.  Each box contains a lot of
> > information so it does not look like a spreadsheet.  When I open a
> > document
> > like this, mine opens correctly viewing the document as it should, but
> > hers
> > is opening it showing some of the information on the next line in a box
> > like
> > it's wrap texting.  We've checked all aspects that we can think of and
> > everything matches.
> >

> > "CyberTaz" wrote:
> >
> >> Suzanne is right -- it's impossible to determine *why* there is a
> >> difference
> >> if you don't specify *what* the difference is :-) As a raw guess I'm
> >> assuming that you have different printer drivers.
> >>
> >> Regards |:>)
> >> Bob Jones
> >> [MVP] Office:Mac
> >>

> >> On 12/11/09 11:47 AM, in article
> >> 56038D34-3FEC-4386-9DFD-5FF94B50861E@microsoft.com, "Peggy"

> >> .
> >>

> .

You're welcome. It's surprising how much difference it can make.

--

> Thank you so much!  The printer issue worked!
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Again, probably a difference in the font file or printer driver; see
>> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This will be hard to explain so I'll do the best I can.  We have
>> > physician
>> > orders that are set in rows and columns.  Each box contains a lot of
>> > information so it does not look like a spreadsheet.  When I open a
>> > document
>> > like this, mine opens correctly viewing the document as it should, but
>> > hers
>> > is opening it showing some of the information on the next line in a box
>> > like
>> > it's wrap texting.  We've checked all aspects that we can think of and
>> > everything matches.

>> .

0
Suzanne

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Version Compatibility #2
Just curious if anyone knows why Publisher 2003 is the only Office module that cannot be opened by earlier Office versions? Seems as though Office 2000 users can open Word, Excel, and Power Point 2003 files, but they cannot open Publisher 2003 files. My guess is based on Word, Excel and Power Point 2003 are saving their files in the same format as their counterparts in 2000. Publisher 2003 formats it's files differently than Publisher 2000. -- Don Vancouver USA "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eoQg4gmfGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Just...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

detect programmatically outlook version
Does anybody know how to detect programmatically Outlook version (listed in about menu)? I want to get the version in order to detect what service pack has outlook installed. I don't want to know the version of outlook.exe file because this is different that the version listed in about menu from outlook. Thanks. I use Application.Version. The correct version number is found in = Outllib.dll, not Outlook.exe.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.c...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

How do I delete words I have added to CUSTOM.DIC?
Two questions:- (1) I have no problem adding words to the custom dictionary. But I don't know how to find them and delete them afterwards. I tried tools>options etc. No luck. (2) What is an alternative method of adding words to custom.dic other than typing the word in a cell and click spelling to invoke the spelling dialogue box. Tool>options>spelling won't give me the dialogue box. Appreciate advice. As soon as I posted, I solved (1). I had to actually find custom.dic and modify notepad. All done outside Excel. Still like answer to (2). Epinn "Epinn"...

Formula in word 2003
create a formula in a word form. I have a situation where I ned to provide an auto response based on the number d in a bokmarked cell "Risk1" I have tried the following but it brings up an error {if { risk1 } <="4""YES"}{if {risk1}>"4"<"10""Stop"}{if{risk1}>"9"<"17""Report"} The basic requirement is to provide a different response based on a number value in form field bookmark "Risk1" which can range between 1-4, 5-9, 10-16 and 17-25 each of the above ranges need a...

Troubleshoot
I am find an error in this statement, and the error shown is "Application defined error or object defined error" ActiveSheet.Range(Chr(r + 64 + 0) & c).Formula = "=index(" & Chr(11 + 64) & "2:" & Chr(11 + 64) & (max_date) & ",match(" & Chr(1 + 64) & r & ",L2:L" & max_row & "))" The above statement basically used to match the data from one column with any column, corresponding to the indexed column. used for matching dates and times Could any one please solve this First, you can use oth...

Can I legally pass/sell on uninstalled versions of office for mac?
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to remove office for mac (2004) from my machine and give away (or sell) the version? Is it that simple, or do I have to 'unregister' the license key first? If so, how do I do that? are there any legal implications? (To give it some context, I am thinking of buying the new full version of 2008 and giving away my 2004 version to my sister.) Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks. It's that simple. Give your sister the original disks, with the CD key so she can install it, and run Remove Office to take Office 2004 off your computer...

can not see icon (picture) on embedded document (in Word 2007)
For some reason (no matter how I attach a file within Word 2007), I can not see the actual picture, I can see some of the text description and if I click around it I can see the dotted lines around the object (& can even open the file), but I can not see the picture. I have tried via 1. the Insert/Object/Create from File/Display as Icon 2. the opening of the file I want to embed, Selected All/Ctrl-C, then Paste Special within the document/selected the MS Word Object & Display as Icon 3. I try to change the shape of the object, but then I can no longer see any text A...

extract info FROM word INTO excel
how can I take information FROM ms-word documents INTO excel? thanks - cathal... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can copy text from Word, and paste it into Excel. If you're trying to do something more complicated, you'll need to provide some details. cathal wrote: > how can I take information FROM ms-word documents INTO excel? thanks - > ...

Microsoft Word
I need help!! Microsoft Word program came with my computer,thru Gateway, and I had to have my computer reparied and lost the Word program because I do not have the key numbers. Gateway said they cannot help me and I will have to go thru Microsoft. I purchased my computer in August 2000. Let me know what I must do. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >I need help!! Microsoft Word program came with my >computer,thru Gateway, and I had to have my computer >reparied and lost the Word program because I do not have >the key numbers. Gateway said they cannot help me...

Problems running trial version
Hi. I'd like to evaluate Money 2004 but am having problems. I do the complete install and can run the program successfully once. Once I close Money and try to re-open it, I get the error "Unable to initialize a required Money component. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks." I tried re-installing several times, making sure that nothing else is running, even in the background. I've tried the Repair feature and completely uninstalling and reinstalling. Any help? Thanks in advance. By the way, it's Money 2004 and Windows XP Pro. >-----Origin...

Microsoft Word / Access
How do I convert a document in Microsoft Word into Access? Basically, I created a contract in Microsoft Word, but I will eventually have to use it for different people and different dates. I think having it in Access will make my work a lot easier, but I do not know where to start Create a report for the contract. The data to fill the contract report will be in an Access table or query. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4113CD7-EC41-45A9-A2...

Word 2007 Error message
Hello, I'm currently using Works Suite 2006. I am attempting to intall the Word 2007 upgrade to no avail as I receiving the following error message: SET-UP ERROR D:\wordR.ww\osetup.DLL digital signature does not validate or is not present I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions so that I can install Word 2007. Ciao, Jerry Sorry Jerry but this is Microsoft Access forum. You need to post this question to a different group to find any useful help. "Jerry T" <Jerry T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45E64C3-D080-405E-9159-CB3E7F73AFFC@micr...

Mac Word freezes Computer my computer
I have recntly purchased an apple Macbook intel core Duo notebook running Tiger and MS office for mac version 2004 for students. both have been fully updated off of the web. When I load a word doc file off of my USB stick all's well until I try to then save a file; when quite often, the coloured circle appears forever, when word on the tool bay is touched it indicates that " word is not responding" when I try to force quit this some times works BUT then finder will not work and will not reset, so the only way to regain control of the computer is to hold down the "on/off key&...

Need Troubleshooting Tips
On SBS2003 w/Exchange, I have a user that has intermitent delivery failures. In most cases, there is no notification that that the email was not delivered. Here is an example: user A will log into OWA to send an email to an internal user B. To user A it looks as if the email has been sent, and a copy shows up in their Sent Items folder. User B does not recieve the email. This happens with both internal and external users, but sporadically. When I went to test it, it was working ok. This is only happening with one user. He has Outlook 2003 configured with 2 mail accounts, Excha...

compare words
Hi All, I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to do it? And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to have "medium" as a result in C1? Thank you in advance in your first example, to see "high" in column C1, you need to put =A1 in cell C1. However, this will also shows "high" in your 2nd scenario. So you need to determine why in the first example, you need a &qu...

Word as email editor #7
Help! I'm trying to use Word 2002 and Outlook 2002 on a new xp box. When i try to create a new message I get an error saying "this form requires Word as your Email editor, but Word is eithre busy or cannot be found." Any suggestions? Thanks, bari barinemy@yahoo.com >Help! > >I'm trying to use Word 2002 and Outlook 2002 on a new xp box. When i >try to create a new message I get an error saying "this form requires >Word as your Email editor, but Word is eithre busy or cannot be found." I assume you actually do have Word installed on the ma...

Is it possible to put a word count in the status bar of Word 97 like in 2003?
I'm spoiled by using Word 2003 for the last 6 years. Is there any way to put a "live" word count in the status bar of Word 97 like it has by default in Word 2003 so I don't have to keep going through the menus? You certainly can with W2007 and W2010, but I seem to remember it was missing in W2003. But if you go to Tools, Word Count, the Word Count dialog appears. Click on Show Toolbar. The Word Count will display on the toolbar. But note that it is not dynamic and you need to press the Recount button to refresh it. If you search Google, you'll find that so...

How do I change the font orientation in word?
I'm trying to make the words print on sticky paper that is backwards but don't know how to change the orientation of the words on the document prior to printing. Can anyone help? If you can do this, it will be via a setting of your printer. Many InkJet printers do have that capability. In the File>Print dialog, click on Properties and see if there is such a setting. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft....

Unable to save documents in Word 2007.
When I create or open a document in word 2007, nothing happens when I try to "save" or "save as". The document does not get saved. If i exit, i need to cancel to be able to move out of word. I can only save in PDF format. (power point and exel are working fine) You have an incompatible or legacy add-in that some third party software has added. To test for this, start Word in Safe Mode. From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in winword /a and press ENTER. Now edit and save. If it is OK, then you need to remove the rogue add-in. These are more often than not t...