Skipping Numbers in Styles and Numbering

I have setup a ton of styles and associated numbering methods for a lengthy
legal document.  I was wondering if there was a way of skipping numbers.  For
Example:

Section.Subsection:
7.04
7.08
7.12
etc.

We have a single level of a lengthy numbering format that needs this to
occur.  Is it possible?

Yes. In W2007 you can right click on the number and choose  _set numbering
value_.

Pam

Jared wrote:
>I have setup a ton of styles and associated numbering methods for a lengthy
>legal document.  I was wondering if there was a way of skipping numbers.  For
>Example:
>
>Section.Subsection:
>7.04
>7.08
>7.12
>etc.
>
>We have a single level of a lengthy numbering format that needs this to
>occur.  Is it possible?

Pamelia
3/13/2010 2:28:58 PM
But note that if many restarts are required, it might be easier to do manual
numbering.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe> wrote in message
> Yes. In W2007 you can right click on the number and choose  _set numbering
> value_.
>
> Pam
>
> Jared wrote:
>>I have setup a ton of styles and associated numbering methods for a
>>lengthy
>>legal document.  I was wondering if there was a way of skipping numbers.
>>For
>>Example:
>>
>>Section.Subsection:
>>7.04
>>7.08
>>7.12
>>etc.
>>
>>We have a single level of a lengthy numbering format that needs this to
>>occur.  Is it possible?

Stefan

large numbers not losing the end without formatting column
Hi, i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field - i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers? thanks best regards kevin The problem is that Excel thinks it knows ...

Returns largest number
I have numbers in Columns A thru L, Row 2. I would like to extract the largest number and return it to Cell M2. MAX returns the largest value in a set of values, therefore =MAX(A2:L2) Rgds, Andy Linda, input the following formula into cell M2: =MAX(A2:L2) Dan. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you might later want the second largest number =Large(A2:L2,1) for the largest in general =Large(A2:L2,n) where n would be the nth largest you w...

Sales Invoice Entry include Line Numbers
Client would like the Invoice Entry screen in Sales to include line item reference numbers to make it easier when they have an invoice with many lines. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbro...

adding a skip pattern
Does MS Access refer to "skip patterns" by a different name? Is there any relatively simple way to include skip patterns in an Access form? Example: if the answer to question 1 = no, then skip to question 6. In a previous post, the reply below was given, but I must confess that I am not so swift to fully understand. Can someone provide a bit more detail: "You'd used the afterupdate event on a given control then use the setfocus method to move the cursor to another control and use the Enabled control property to control whether or not other controls remain active or...

Sorting a list of numbers 06-04-10
I have inherited an excel file with numbers across 100 columns and over 300 rows with several blank cells (likely 15%). I would like to format these numbers across 10 columns and however many rows are necessary, but without any blank cells, in ascending order down each column. Can someone help me how to do this? Thank you. sample? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "BRB" <BRB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93FADDD2-E412-4F09-AA3B-BD42E8345325@microsoft.com... >I have inherited an excel file with ...

Skip if empty
Everyone, I'm sure this is an easy fix, but it is just beyond me. Hopefully, one of you is going to make me feel stupid. I have an excel 2003 workbook that is a template for a merge document in Word. I need it to be able to handle 10 different sets of information starting in column B and ending in column J. I have all the information for the Word document in sheet1 of the workbook, and I'm going to merge from sheet2. I'm not always going to have all 10 of the columns filled with information. so I need to be able to skip code when I run out of records so that when I merge them...

Update table with date and number
I'm trying to update a table with the current date and the current user ID but I keep getting a syntax error. Could somebody check my code and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Dim strUserID As Integer strUserID = DLookup("UserID", "q_GetUser") CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE (pt_PurchaseOrders) SET pt_PurchaseOrders.CancelledDate = Date(), pt_PurchaseOrders.CancelledBy = strUserID WHERE pt_PurchaseOrders.PONumber = " & Me.PONumber JB - Two things - you want the RunSQL statement (not the Execute), and also the strUserID needs to have ...

Find which numbers sum up to given total
I have been presented with 13 numbers and given a total for the sum of 5 of these numbers. Will excel allow me to find which 5 of the given numbers add up to my known total. Sub add_perm() Dim i As Integer Dim j As Integer Dim k As Integer Dim m As Integer Dim n As Integer Dim p As Integer Dim NN As Integer Dim SS As Integer Range("destination").ClearContents SS = Range("known_total") NN = Range("numbers") - 1 '13-1 p = 1 For i = 0 To NN For j = 0 To NN For k = 0 To NN For m = 0 To NN For n = 0 To NN ...

List number
a1=1 b1=25 a2=2 b2=24 a3=3 b3=23 a4=4 b4=22 a5=5 b5=21 c1=23 =IF(c1=b3,a3,0) works. I need a formula that will search b1 - b5 for a match to c1 and print the number in a1 - a5. Thanks. Try LOOKUP -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "NCIII" <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:Bi6Nc.21972$GT3.5089@bignews6.bellsouth.net... > a1=1 b1=25 > a2=2 b2=24 > a3=3 b3=23 > a4=4 b4=22 > a5=5 b5=21 > > c1=23 > > =IF(c1=b3,a3,0) works. I need a formula that will search b1 - b5 for a > ...

Excel XP Upgrade (Text numbers)
My organization recently upgraded to Office XP. Now one of my very important excel files have had two columns of numbers apparently changing to text numbers. When I follow the recommendation to change those numbers back to a number value some hidden formulas give back a different value in the hidden cells. Should this reported error be ignored? I would really like to know what is going on to have confidence in my spreadsheet again. I am not sure it is an error except for the numbers turning into text. However in your original sheet you might have had a number format showing for in...

Test for Whole Number
I am probably making this harder than it needs to be. What is a good way to test if a user enters a whole number as a data input. I cobbled together the following but is there a simplier way? Sub Test() Dim pInt As Integer Dim pStr As String Do pStr = InputBox("Enter a whole number") pInt = pStr Loop While pInt <> pStr MsgBox "Thank you" End Sub -- Greg Maxey See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org for an eclectic collection of Word Tips. Arrogance is a weed that grows mostly on a dunghill (Arabic proverb) I am sure there ar...

Converting Hexadecimal number to floating point decimal number #2
Thanks McGimpsey, the hex number will appear in a single sell say A1 a like 0X00 0X0f 0X7b 0Xa1 0x39. What I need is to automatically conver this hex string into a decimal like 2.4e-5. That is automaticall stripping off the prefixes and convert each segment of the hex string Its not just taking a single hex number -- Fif ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Fifi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1232 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27285 ...

a cell contains both text and number
how do i make a calculation if a cell has text and a number. Example the cell says "3 weeks" I want to calculate 3 weeks to read in the next column as "120 hours" =LEFT(A1,1)*1*40&" hours" Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "text and formulas" <text and formulas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8C17645-DAFF-455A-B144-5B936B97ADCE@microsoft.com... > how do i make a calculation if a cell has text and a number. Example the cell > says "3 weeks" I want to calculate 3 weeks to read in the next column as "120 &g...

I NEED TRACKING NUMBERS
my name is ERNAN VICENTE address: 819-100 GLOUCESTER STREET toronto ontario m4y 1m1 canada I just want to know if there is any thing under my name and I want to know when is coming here and I need the tracking numbers pls and thank you. thanks ERNAN VICENTE Sorry Ernan, this newsgroup will not be able to help your with your problem. I'm not sure any newsgroup will. Try logging into a website operated by the company issuing the tracking number. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvp...

changing numbers to text
Hi group, I have a long list of zip codes in column A that has been complied. the problem is that some are text and some are not. What I mean is that I "test" them with =ISTEXT(A1) for example, if they are text I get TRUE if not I get False. I want to convert all of them to Text so that I can export them to ACcess. I tried converting the ones that were not text by choosing the Text under Format menue/ Cells/ Number then Text but this doesn't convert it really. When I "test" it with =ISTEXT(), its still not a text. Any help is very much appreciated C. ...

Numbering of Grouped Rows
Hi, I have a number of sets of "grouped" rows. I want to number the sets sequentially but the auto-fill down doesn't work, because it will fill all of the grouped cells as well. Additionally, the grouped rows are NOT the same size. Ex. I want the number "1" and the number "2" to appear in column A, rows 1 and 5 respectively. Row# Column A 1 1 2-4 Grouped 5 2 5-10 Grouped Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, --Phil >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I have a number of sets of "grouped" rows. I want to...

Details without PO Number
Usually I looked up the purchase item details in POP_POLine table by PO Number. How can I look up the purchase item details for those document without PO number in table PM_Transaction_OPEN? Thanks in advance! Steven Steven, You can try to find details about other that originated in POP looking into POP_ReceiptHist and POP_ReceiptHistLine tables. You can join PM_Transaction_OPEN with POP_ReceiptHist using Vendor ID and Vendor Document Number (note that Vendor Document Number is just Document Number in PM_Transaction_OPEN). To get details from POP_ReceiptLineHist you need to join POP_...

numbering
Hi, I need to add a column to a workbook that runs as follows A1 - A200, B1-B200,..., Z1-Z200, AA1-AA200, all the way to 1000000 rows, I'm doing them by hand now, but I'm sure a formula could save a LOT of mouse work. Thanks Steven Steven, In row 1 of your column, enter the formula =ADDRESS(MOD(ROW()-1,200)+1,INT((ROW()-1)/200)+1,4) and copy down as far as you want thorugh row 51,200, where it will fall apart. (You're not going to get to 1,000,000 rows anyway, since Excel only has 65,536 rows.) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Steven Hook" <shook@NOTbowens.co.za> w...

mass change of numbers to alphabetic
I have a large spreadhseet with three groupings of numbers 1. less then 0 (this can be anything from -1 and below) 2. greater then 0 (this can be anything from 1 and above) 3. zero I need to change items that are: 1.less then 0 to a Y, 2. greater then 0 to an N; and 3. 0 to NA. I would really appreciate if someone could let me know how this can be done. Regards, Jeff try this Sub changenums() For Each c In Selection If c < 0 Then c.Value = "Y" ElseIf c > 0 Then c.Value = "N" Else c.Value = "NA" End If Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Softwa...

Visio Text (Number) Automation
Hi. I'm creating an Organization Chart for my company. I have the org charts already setup with names, shapes, etc; however, I would like to add the total number or employees in each group, which would add up to larger group, and finally all the way to the top which will have the total number for all employees. i would like to somehow automate this process like excel does wtih a formula (=techdept+accoutningdept) which would add the numbers i manually filled in the tech and accouting dept, but would add those number together for the group above that. Thanks. ...

file skipped
HI,All The following file is being skipped, should I be concerned..???? Backup - \\USFIN2KEX1\D: Data Unable to open the item \\USFIN2KEX1\D:\exchsrvr\imcdata\queue.dat - skipped. thanks Do online, exchange aware backups of the store. Do not do flat-file backups of the exchsrvr dirs and you wont see that error. :) On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:35:33 -0400, "Darren D" <Darren@somewhere.com> wrote: >HI,All >The following file is being skipped, should I be concerned..???? >Backup - \\USFIN2KEX1\D: Data >Unable to open the item \\USFIN2KEX1\D:\exchsrvr\imcdata\queue.da...

Customer/ Account Number on Purchase Orders?
I'm wondering if there is a place where my customer number can be placed on the PO I send to my suppliers. It would seem to be easier on the supplier when they receive my faxed PO to be able to look me up by my customer number. Since the customer number is always on their invoices it seems to me that suppliers would prefer that. That information is already in the supplier database. There is a modified PO template on customersource that does this. Just look for 'Store Operations Modified Purchase Orders' In the Reports Library. Craig "mdmpshop" <mdmpshop@discuss...

Why do some number appear as text?
Hi, I have just exported some data in a table from an sql file to Excel and have noticed that some of the figures in the column have a small green triangle next to it with the message, 'it is formatted as text or has an apostrophe in front of it'. What does this mean? I am trying to change a column of 0's to 1's then import it back into sql, but after replacing the 0's with 1's, find that some have this triangle. I have searched the help files but can't find anything to help me. Thanks Rock Excel is seeing them as text; it's very common. See "Da...

rounding up for number not for decimal
I have excel 2003 installed on my machine all what I am looking for to round up the number not the decimal example roundup 15600.00 to 16000.00 example roundup 14780.00 to 15000.00 any one know Hi with your values in A1 =ROUND(A1,-3) Cheers JulieD "Admin" <admin@admin.com> wrote in message news:%23wjYqps1EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I have excel 2003 installed on my machine all what I am looking for to >round > up the number > not the decimal > example roundup 15600.00 to 16000.00 > example roundup 14780.00 to 15000.00 > > any one know >...

Lucky Number
I want to print a Fete Programme which has a lucky number. So I want a box that prints a rising nmumber, starting at 1 on each printed programme. Is it possible? You need to setup a data base with your numbers and use mail merge in Publisher. You can create a list within Publisher, use Excel (example here http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm) Access or Word. What version Publisher? Help here: This article is for 2003 but it is about the same in 2007. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "David Rudman" <DavidRudm...