Outline Numbering

I'm trying to outline number a report and have followed the guidance on
Shauna Kelly's page. However, my numbering is back to front - so it goes:
1
1.1
1.1.1
1.2
2.1.1
Instead of 1.2 and 1.2.1.

When I go into 'level 2' numbering, I can't link this to the previous level
- it selects it, then unselects it by itself. If I clear level 2 and start
again by selecting 'number style 1,2,3' then choose 'previous level number -
1' it puts the numbers together (11) and unselects the link to the previous
level. And when I put a 'period' in it seems to swap the numbers over (so it
ends up with 2.1 instead of 1.2).

Help please!

When numbers get reversed this way, the best solution is to start over, but
you're doing it backward. Insert the previous levels, one at a time, in
order, inserting the punctuation yourself by hand. The last number is the
one for the current level, and that's the one for which you choose the
number style (1,2,3); you don't have to choose the number style for the
previous levels because Word automatically uses the style used for that
level (unless you check the "Legal style numbering" box to convert from
roman to arabic numerals).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Moihi" <Moihi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to outline number a report and have followed the guidance on
> Shauna Kelly's page. However, my numbering is back to front - so it goes:
> 1
> 1.1
> 1.1.1
> 1.2
> 2.1.1
> Instead of 1.2 and 1.2.1.
>
> When I go into 'level 2' numbering, I can't link this to the previous
> level
> - it selects it, then unselects it by itself. If I clear level 2 and start
> again by selecting 'number style 1,2,3' then choose 'previous level
> number -
> 1' it puts the numbers together (11) and unselects the link to the
> previous
> level. And when I put a 'period' in it seems to swap the numbers over (so
> it
> ends up with 2.1 instead of 1.2).
>
> Help please!

0
Suzanne
4/29/2010 11:56:06 AM
It is all to easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this way
to  help keep things straight:
Temporarily set the start at value for each level to  the level value (level
2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
immediately see that the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start at's
back to 1 before you exit the dialog.

Pam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>When numbers get reversed this way, the best solution is to start over, but
>you're doing it backward. Insert the previous levels, one at a time, in
>order, inserting the punctuation yourself by hand. The last number is the
>one for the current level, and that's the one for which you choose the
>number style (1,2,3); you don't have to choose the number style for the
>previous levels because Word automatically uses the style used for that
>level (unless you check the "Legal style numbering" box to convert from
>roman to arabic numerals).
>
>> I'm trying to outline number a report and have followed the guidance on
>> Shauna Kelly's page. However, my numbering is back to front - so it goes:
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>>
>> Help please!

Pamelia
4/29/2010 6:53:09 PM
Clever trick!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe> wrote in message
> It is all to easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this way
> to  help keep things straight:
> Temporarily set the start at value for each level to  the level value (level
> 2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
> immediately see that the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start at's
> back to 1 before you exit the dialog.
>
> Pam
>

> Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>>When numbers get reversed this way, the best solution is to start over, but
>>you're doing it backward. Insert the previous levels, one at a time, in
>>order, inserting the punctuation yourself by hand. The last number is the
>>one for the current level, and that's the one for which you choose the
>>number style (1,2,3); you don't have to choose the number style for the
>>previous levels because Word automatically uses the style used for that
>>level (unless you check the "Legal style numbering" box to convert from
>>roman to arabic numerals).
>>
>>> I'm trying to outline number a report and have followed the guidance on
>>> Shauna Kelly's page. However, my numbering is back to front - so it goes:
>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>>>
>>> Help please!

Stefan
4/29/2010 6:58:35 PM
Agreed.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Clever trick!
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe> wrote in message
>> It is all to easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this
>> way
>> to  help keep things straight:
>> Temporarily set the start at value for each level to  the level value
>> (level
>> 2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
>> immediately see that the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start
>> at's
>> back to 1 before you exit the dialog.
>>
>> Pam
>>

>> Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
>>>When numbers get reversed this way, the best solution is to start over,
>>>but
>>>you're doing it backward. Insert the previous levels, one at a time, in
>>>order, inserting the punctuation yourself by hand. The last number is the
>>>one for the current level, and that's the one for which you choose the
>>>number style (1,2,3); you don't have to choose the number style for the
>>>previous levels because Word automatically uses the style used for that
>>>level (unless you check the "Legal style numbering" box to convert from
>>>roman to arabic numerals).

>>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

>> --

Suzanne
4/29/2010 8:14:52 PM
Thanks.  I hope it's helpful.

Stefan Blom wrote:
>Clever trick!

>Pamelia Caswell  wrote:
>It is all too easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this way
>to  help keep things straight:
>Temporarily set the start at value for each level to the numbering level value (level
>2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
>immediately see whether the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start at's
>back to 1 before you exit the dialog.
>
>Pam

Pamelia
4/30/2010 4:15:33 AM
Thank you for the very useful help which fixed it. And sorry for the delay, I
thought I'd get a handy notification in my email when you replied...!
Jane.

"Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

> Thanks.  I hope it's helpful.
>
> Stefan Blom wrote:
> >Clever trick!
>
> >Pamelia Caswell  wrote:
> >It is all too easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this way
> >to  help keep things straight:
> >Temporarily set the start at value for each level to the numbering level value (level
> >2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
> >immediately see whether the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start at's
> >back to 1 before you exit the dialog.
> >
> >Pam

> .

You're welcome.

Pam

Moihi wrote:
>Thank you for the very useful help which fixed it. And sorry for the delay, I
>thought I'd get a handy notification in my email when you replied...!
>Jane.
>
>> Thanks.  I hope it's helpful.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> >
>> >Pam

Pamelia
5/20/2010 4:52:24 PM
Note that the notification feature is broken in the newsgroups.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Thank you for the very useful help which fixed it. And sorry for the delay, I
> thought I'd get a handy notification in my email when you replied...!
> Jane.
>
> "Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com" wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I hope it's helpful.
>>
>> Stefan Blom wrote:
>> >Clever trick!
>>
>> >Pamelia Caswell  wrote:
>> >It is all too easy to get the fields turned around.  I recently found this
>> >way
>> >to  help keep things straight:
>> >Temporarily set the start at value for each level to the numbering level
>> >value (level
>> >2 starts at 2, etc.).  When you insert the previous levels, you'll
>> >immediately see whether the  order is correct.    Be sure to  set the start
>> >at's
>> >back to 1 before you exit the dialog.
>> >
>> >Pam
>>
>> --
>>
>> .

0
Stefan

columns show as numbers
I just noticed that all of my columns now show up as numbers instead of letters, which makes it difficult for entering formulas - how do I get the columns back to letters Tools, Options, General, (uncheck) R1C1 reference style --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "jbv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B43F64D5-7296-43AB-A137-98F623BC5236@microsoft.com... > I just noticed tha...

Dependent Formatting (Text or Numbers
Hello All, I am attempting create formatting for an object based upon the value displayed. If the value is six numbers entered without spaces (Ex. 123456), then the formatting should be "##-##-##" (Ex. 12-34-56). Otherwise, the object must allow regular text. I have tried several different methods but with no luck. Below is my most recent attempt. I tried inserting it into the "lost focus", "on change", and "after update actions". Many thanks in advance for helping clear up a headache. If Me.AccountCode1 Like "######" Then Me.AccountCode...

Print routing number and account number on checks
Will money print the routing number and account number on the bottom of the checks? I have been unable to get it to do it. Phyllis Hershberger No. There are some workarounds and some reasons, but in general the best answer is to just buy stock preprinted with this information. The details are posted from the FAQ on a regular basis--in the fact week, if I recall correctly. If you want to understand and cannot find the postings or the FAQ, post back. "Phyllis Hershberger" <p_hershberger@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:05d401c34c0d$2e8e2820$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Will m...

Journal Entry Number Format GP9
Can i change the journal entry number format options? this is what i wanto to approach, The company im working now, wants to have a control number for all journal entries by setting up a journal entry number format for example en the month of january they want to have as follows 01010000 this will be the journal entry number displayed on the window then 01 means month, the following 01 means the day and the remaining 0000 are the transaction sequence for the day. so that january 02 will be 01020000 and if we created 345 journal entries in august 27th the number is 08270345. Is it possible...

Serial Numbers and Work Orders
Hey guys, Is it possible to associate an item with a serial number in a Work order, BEFORE TENDERING THE TRANSACTION? Many times a retailer would want to set aside a particular item that is to the customer's preference or which may need to have work done on. Is there any way to provide the serial number while the item is being addded to the Work Order as opposed to when the item is being finalized? Thanks, Hi Tom, Our work around is to type the serial# into a comment for the item. We always print our work orders before converting them, so then we will know what the serial# is. I woul...

XML & Decimal Numbers
Hi, A couple Q's , so I've come to the experts<g>. 1) I need a definitive answer to the following debate. I've got a couple developers who disagree on the following question. We've got an XML file of numerical data results where it could contain values such as: <RESULT>0.12345</RESULT> when created in English, but it could contain: <RESULT>0,12345</RESULT> when created in another language... such as German or French. One developer claims this should be perfrectly allowed, the other claims you can never use commas in XML files for content a...

How do I format a negative number in parenthesis?
The format cell does not alllow for parenthesis around negative numbers with decimal places? How can I set this up? Use a custom format like: 0.00;-(0.00) HTH J -- pinmaste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49856 Hi John click on the cell choose format / cell under CUSTOM type #,##0.00;[Red](#,##0.00) this should give you what you want. -- Cheers JulieD julied_ng at hctsReMoVeThIs dot...

Outlining
We are trying to import an outline, usually two levels, with an occasional third. The original is either WordPerfect X3 or MSWord 2003. These two program produce outlines differently. WPX3 is superior by the way. But I digress. We want to bring that outline into Publisher 2007. We get the text but no numbers. We used Publisher 2000 and got the numbers until we updated to WPX3 and Word 2003. Once we made those changes no numbers. I have tried to import text. I have tried copy text. And I have tried creating an outline from scratch and cannot get two level outlines. Is such a...

prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates
in Excel v. X for Mac how do I permanently prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates. Formatting individual cells as text will not work in my applications. I need to disable this funtion. Not possible - there's no preference option to turn this off. Instead of preformatting as text, entries can be made with an apostrophe as a prefix: '3/4 You might be able to use an event macro to change it back retroactively, but that depends on knowing what format the user entered it. For instance, 3/4, 3-4, 4Mar, mar4, etc will all be interpreted as 4 Marc...

PO number on Invoice
Hi 1. Is there a way to enter a PO# in RMS so that it appears on the invoice? Thanks, Brad To do this, we use the 'details' option on the POS screen when creating the sale (invoice). -- Jocelyn "aneuron" wrote: > Hi > 1. Is there a way to enter a PO# in RMS so that it appears on the invoice? > > Thanks, > > Brad ...

making a cell fixed number to a input number
I am doing a caclculation. Some of the time I want to do it with a percentage and sometimes with a dollar amount. If I punch in a dollar amount I want it to come up with the persentage. If I type in the percentage I want it to come up with the dollar amount. How can I make the formula stay in a cell even if I punch something in. fwday12@msn.com ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ And how do you tell .20 (%) from .20 (cents) "fwday" <fwd...

Number of contacts?
What is the max. number of contacts that can be in a folder. I have outlook 2003. -- jsanders jsanders <jsanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is the max. number of contacts that can be in a folder. I have > outlook 2003. 64K -- Brian Tillman ...

Filter for 225 or 233 numbers #2
Hi Julie and Frank I have just tried your formulas and they dont seem to work I the no. stored as text due to a 0 being at the front of them when i convert to a no. Julie your formula only dispays false and Frank your formula doesnt display anythign in the cell next to it it blank any ideas what am i doing wrong -- hogan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- hoganc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1498 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26686 Hi should work if you leave t...

limit on number of characters?
I am using Excel 2003, SP2. I just exported the results of an Access query to Excel and found that the data in one of the fields is being truncated after 255 characters. I can type more than 255 characters in a cell. Does anyone know how I can export more than 255 characters into Excel? Thank you, Judy Ward I don't speak the Access, but Debra Dalgleish once posted this: Or, transfer the data with code. Use the TransferSpreadsheet method to send the data, and specify one of the later Excel versions: '====================== Sub SendTableToExcel() DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet a...

Generate a unique number of list
Hey all, I have a list of number which some is repeated, how can I regenerate a list with unique number. e.g 1 2 1 5 3 5 Expected Result 1 2 5 3 Thanks for any one who can help. -- Terence Chan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Terence Chan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26963 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=467164 Hi Terence One way Mark your range of data, Data>Filter>Advanced Filter and Select Unique values only. Copy the data to a new location. Rega...

missing Check numbers
When printing of a Vendor Cheque register report, there have been the odd cheque number missing. Why and how does this happen? ...

Number of months between 2 dates
I can not remove this double thread ... sorry -- john liem ...

red numbers in balance column and account is not overdrawn
i just opened money and my checking account to balance my account and in the balance column it was showing red in parenthesis which i believe means negative balance for many entries. my account is up to date and is always in the black. why now is it showing red in some entries? it has never done this before and the only thing i have done different is opened different reports to see what they looked like. i was still able to balance my account and it shows in the black. there are a few entries in the black but most enteries are in the red and seen to be growing. ...

Show number of rows pr element in a pivottabel
Hi. In Excel 2007 I have a pivottabel showing A C Projecttype Turnover Maintenance 100 Repair 50 In Column B I have (and collapsed) the projects behind the Turnover : A B C Projecttype Project Turnover Maintenance Proj 1 5 Proj 7 95 Repair Proj 5 7 Proj 10 10 Proj 12 33 I would like to show the number of project (2 Maintenace and 3 Repair) in ny Privottable. Either in a new column or somehow else ...

Reading Numbers in Words
I need a formulae that can read figures in a specific cell e.g 123 and change them into words (One Hundred Twenty Three) -- tarig Tarig, have a look here, http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Tarig" <Tarig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:433865C1-7417-4CAB-B582-7A0B2B3E1620@microsoft.com... >I need a formulae that can read figures ...

Formatting cells for phone numbers
Hey, im looking to format a number of cells into a phone number format I have a rather large excel spreadsheet of around 900 phone numbers they are currently in different formats such as: 0870 8888888 +44 0800 7777777 +800 (900) 666666 0980 888888 These are obviously just example numbers and not real ones, as you ca see they are all over the place and in the wrong format that i nee them in. Changing them all manually would take me forever so ive trie to create a custom formatting rule to have them represented like this: +44 (800) 888888 So basically they must all begin with +44 then the n...

Saving custom number format
1) I am trying to save a custom number format for e.g. ###,###,000.000 But when I open a new file this format is not available. Why doesn't it gets saved? (excel 2002) 2) My home computer has recently been upgraded to the latest version of excel. But I used to hit Alt + F and then C to close a file in earlier versions. This no longer works! I have to hit Enter key after pressing the "C". Is it a bug? or am I missing something? Shantanu Oak Custom formats are saved with the workbook. To have these available for all new workbooks, save a blank workbook with the custom formatti...

Trouble formatting page numbers
I have a document that uses a 2 page master, both pages have a page number centered in the footer. When I switch from the Master to the publication pages, the page number moves over to the outer margin of the page...I hae tried deleting the footer and re-insterting, copying from a file that the footer is centered correctly, etc... nothing seems to work for long. Any ideas? Thank you! Tanya You can move the page number text box anywhere on the Master Page, format it right, left or center. It behaves the same as any text box. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Tanya" ...

Outline
I have a sheet with NO calculations. I would like to manually outline (I am new at this feature) so repetitive data collapses. Let's say my data looks like this: Acme Co. North Acme Co. North Acme Co. South Badge Corp. Badge Corp. Chicago Loop Chicago Loop I want it to collapse to show only unique names, like below. +Acme Co. North Acme Co. South +Badge Corp. +Chicago Loop When I manually outline each group, they all combine to one big group. Any hints? How about using the subtotal feature from the data menu? Just select "count" of "co. name" or whatever. >...

Checking cell for Number
I have about 200 numbers in column A. I would like to enter any number in Column B. In column C I would like, it to show if the number is used or free. can this be done with a if statement? Thanks Try... =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$200,B1),"Used","Free") If you have a list of numbers in Column B that you'd like to check, enter the above formula in C1, and copy and paste the formula to your other cells in Column C. Hope this helps! In article <E5CA9196-6FCF-492C-B488-1B7E431720CF@microsoft.com>, Lee <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have abou...