Inserting text along the side margin of the page

How can I insert text along a side edge of a document [as if it were written
in a landscape view while the rest of the document remains in a portaint
view] ?

I love making an odd piece or two in a Word doc...!

Thanks, all!

Insert a text box or a one-cell table. Right-click the empty paragraph
mark inside it and choose Text Direction to turn it 90 degrees. You
can turn off the borders if you don't want them.

For text that isn't turned 90 degrees, a frame is better -- see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:04:01 -0800, JB Head
<JBHead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I insert text along a side edge of a document [as if it were written
>in a landscape view while the rest of the document remains in a portaint
>view] ?
>
>I love making an odd piece or two in a Word doc...!
>
>Thanks, all!
0
Jay
11/15/2009 2:44:43 AM
Note that you can also rotate text in a frame, though you have to use the
Format | Text Direction command, as there's no toolbar with that button on
it, and it's not on the shortcut menu.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jay Freedman" <jay.freedman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Insert a text box or a one-cell table. Right-click the empty paragraph
> mark inside it and choose Text Direction to turn it 90 degrees. You
> can turn off the borders if you don't want them.
>
> For text that isn't turned 90 degrees, a frame is better -- see
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:04:01 -0800, JB Head
> <JBHead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>How can I insert text along a side edge of a document [as if it were
>>written
>>in a landscape view while the rest of the document remains in a portaint
>>view] ?
>>
>>I love making an odd piece or two in a Word doc...!
>>
>>Thanks, all!

0
Suzanne
11/15/2009 5:16:09 AM
And in Word 2007 it's worse than that:

- When the cursor is in a text box, the Text Box Tools tab appears on
the ribbon, and the Text Direction button is on it.

- When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools > Layout tab appears,
and the Text Direction button is there, too.

- But when the cursor is in a frame, that button isn't shown on any
tab. You can prepare for it by right-clicking the button in one of the
other places (or by going to the Customize dialog) and adding it to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Jay

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:09 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote:

>Note that you can also rotate text in a frame, though you have to use the
>Format | Text Direction command, as there's no toolbar with that button on
>it, and it's not on the shortcut menu.
>
>--
>Suzanne S. Barnhill
>Microsoft MVP (Word)
>Words into Type
>Fairhope, Alabama USA
>http://word.mvps.org
>
>"Jay Freedman" <jay.freedman@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Insert a text box or a one-cell table. Right-click the empty paragraph
>> mark inside it and choose Text Direction to turn it 90 degrees. You
>> can turn off the borders if you don't want them.
>>
>> For text that isn't turned 90 degrees, a frame is better -- see
>> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:04:01 -0800, JB Head
>> <JBHead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>How can I insert text along a side edge of a document [as if it were
>>>written
>>>in a landscape view while the rest of the document remains in a portaint
>>>view] ?
>>>
>>>I love making an odd piece or two in a Word doc...!
>>>
>>>Thanks, all!

0
Jay
11/15/2009 3:12:09 PM
Yeppers. I guess that's why that button is on my QAT, not that I use Word
2007 enough for it to matter, nor have I ever (to my knowledge) rotated text
in a frame! (Actually, I think it's a residue of experimenting with all the
various Text Direction options in the Customize dialog to figure out what
each one did.)

--

> And in Word 2007 it's worse than that:
>
> - When the cursor is in a text box, the Text Box Tools tab appears on
> the ribbon, and the Text Direction button is on it.
>
> - When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools > Layout tab appears,
> and the Text Direction button is there, too.
>
> - But when the cursor is in a frame, that button isn't shown on any
> tab. You can prepare for it by right-clicking the button in one of the
> other places (or by going to the Customize dialog) and adding it to
> the Quick Access Toolbar.
>
> --
> Jay
>
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:09 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Note that you can also rotate text in a frame, though you have to use the
>>Format | Text Direction command, as there's no toolbar with that button on
>>it, and it's not on the shortcut menu.
>>
>>--
>>Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>Words into Type
>>Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>http://word.mvps.org
>>
>>"Jay Freedman" <jay.freedman@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Insert a text box or a one-cell table. Right-click the empty paragraph
>>> mark inside it and choose Text Direction to turn it 90 degrees. You
>>> can turn off the borders if you don't want them.
>>>
>>> For text that isn't turned 90 degrees, a frame is better -- see
>>> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Jay Freedman
>>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>>> newsgroup so all may benefit.

0
Suzanne

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

How to remove icon on teh left side of the resizable dialog
I have a resizable dialog which is showing that default icon on the left side but i don't want it visible if i remove the system menu property then it disappears but at that time my maximize and minimize buttons also disappears . I have tried asimple icon of the same color of the title bar it colors are not matching exactly and even changes as per O.S. so that was not a good option. So is there any way to remove/hide that icon. "Sam" <mesushant@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144991166.379450.78670@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > I have a resizable dialog which is ...

Subclassing in property pages
I have tree-like combo box subclassed in my property page (derived from CPropertyPage). It works fine until I drop list and move property sheet, then drop down list stays at the same place whilst rest of dialog (property sheet) was moved. I guess that this is something with ownership but how to fix it. This is how I subclass combo: BOOL ParentSettings::OnInitDialog() { CPropertyPage::OnInitDialog(); ctlComboTree.SubclassDlgItem(IDC_PARENTS, this); return (TRUE); } ParentSettings class is derived from CPropertyPage. I created dialog associated with property pade using resource ...

Auto correct text changes
I am editing a document in word 2007 that has been saved in compatible mode. Whe I try to turn one heading into italics or bold it changes all the headings in the document to the same formatiing. Can any one help me to stop this happening. If I then press undo all the other changes revert back and not the one I have just made. I can't keep pressing undo everytime I make a change. I just want it to change the words I am highlighting See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/wholedocumentreformatted.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "David Rudman"...

Insert trigger

Enable Client Side Monitoring
Hello-- I have a single Exchange 2003 Entrerprise Svr (SP 1) running on Windows 2003 Standard Svr w/SP 1 installed. A number of my users are reporting of performance issues with their desktop OUTLOOK 2003 wherein they receive "Outlook is retrieving data from the ms exchange server <servername>. " I understand the possible source of these messages is some sort of RPC bottleneck. To troubleshoot the source, I have looked at the documentation referencing setting up counters in Performance Monitor that necessitate activating "Client Side Monitoring for Outlook 2003 ...

inserting hrs and minutes

how do I filter on text format in Excel?
I have a workbook containing text that I wish to filter based on the format of some words. IOW, for instance, all records (rows) with cells containing text of a certain font color, or perhaps characters with the strikethrough mark. I'm relatively familiar with advanced filtering, but this appears to be something requiring a "filter by formula". Does anyone have any experience in this area? It is not in any built in function in Excel only way this would be possible would be to use a UDF (a function written using VBA) in a help column and then filtger on that help column pl...

How to print a greet. card from Publisher on a 2-side card stock?
Publisher has a pre-set printing option for greeting cards to print on an A-4 paper. How can I change it so it sould print on a regular two-sided card stock size 5.5"x 8.5"? Thanks Booklet setup on letter size stock. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CLX" <CLX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45E658D-EB23-4365-A82E-33CA1D71EC9B@microsoft.com... > Publisher has a pre-set printing option for greeting cards to print on an A-4 > paper. How can I change it so it sould print...

Why does Invoices take two pages when only half the first page is
Its annoying that I have to send multiple pages, 2 & sometimes even 3 pages when there is enough space on the first page to fit everything!!! Does anyone know how to remedy this? Or is switching to another accounting software the only answer? =?Utf-8?B?ZGlhbGtpbmc=?= <dialking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 28 Mar 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > Its annoying that I have to send multiple pages, 2 & sometimes even 3 > pages when there is enough space on the first page to fit > everything!!! > > Does anyone know how to remedy this? Or is swit...

how do I format text as strikethrough in Publisher 2003?
I am copying over text from a WordPerfect document into Microsoft Publisher 2003. Text that has been formatted as "Strikethrough" in the WordPerfect document comes over as plain text with no strikethrough. I have even tried to just import the document which it looks like it does fairly well at, except that all text formatted as strikethrough is imported as plain text. I can possibly believe that Publisher does not have any way to format text in this way, but I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to format the text in this way. Can anyone help? You will have to ...

Insert with a where condition

Insert

MAil delivery to YAHOO takes along time
Hi, I posted a message yesterday about a problem i was facing when users send to Yahoo accounts. This issue has improved slightly but I still have a problem. My probem now, is that mail gets to yahoo, but not until the next day (or so it seems). This ones really buggin me as i other mail gets to its destination instantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks Dave "Dave Crozier" <mdcrozier@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I posted a message yesterday about a problem i was facing when users send to >Yahoo accounts. > >This issue has improve...

Print Chart in New Sheet on Two Pages
Is there a way to print a chart on more than one page if it is a "new sheet" as opposed to an object in a worksheet? I noticed that Page Break Preview is disabled in this case. Thanks ...

how to insert data in a table

insert downloads into power point

Insert dataset to another database

Brochures: How Do I Print Out the Blue Borders of 3-Sided Brochure?
Hello. I'm using Publisher 2003. I'm designing a simple brochure, using a standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, that's divided into thirds. The template I'm using is the Accent Box Informational brochure. Each third of the brochure has a light blue border. I'd like those blue borders printed out as part of the brochure, but they aren't being printed. After checking the help documentation, I still couldn't figure out how to do this. It doesn't matter to me if these borders print out as blue or black, just as long as they are printed out. Is there a way to ...

Insert a blank row

text field validation 12-07-04
I am trying to create an validate event for Text fields on CRMAccount address fields. Whenever you try to change the values of these fields, it should alert the message. Here is the code like: In sfa\accts\acct_cont.js file, under window.OnLoad function: function window.onload() { ..... .... try { crmForm.address1_line1.onblur = validate; } catch (e) { alert("Error: " + e.message); } } function validate() { if (crmForm.ownerid.value == "{669282E2-2725-47A1-8234-3BD107C49487}") { alert("Not a authorized user. Please notify ...