Headers, footers, AutoText, and hard returns

I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.

I have created AutoText for a Word template, including HeaderOdd,
HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterFirst, and FooterEven.

The AutoText entry for HeaderOdd, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}:
{Field}.

When I open the template, view the header, and insert the AutoText, Word
puts a hard return into the header, and creates an empty row of space under
the AutoText.  Word does the exact same thing when I insert the AutoText into
the footer.  The hard return does NOT exist in the AutoText I created.

In the empty template, when I select View > Header and Footer, there is a
paragraph marker already in the Header field, and it is bold, and I can't
change it or delete it.  There is also an omnipresent paragraph marker in the
otherwise empty footer field. I don't know whether or not these paragraph
markers are responsible for the hard returns, just thought I would mention it.

If you know what is causing the hard returns in the headers and footers, and
if there are instructions in the online help that explains how to solve it,
please give me a couple of key words to help me find the online help topic.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

May I suggest a different approach? In your template you will, I assume,
have enabled "Different first page" and "Different odd and even." Insert two
temporary page breaks so that the template contains three pages. This will
give you access to all three headers and footers. Insert the desired content
in each. Delete the page breaks. Although you can't see the odd and even
header and footer, Word will remember them and use them as needed. No need
for AutoText entries.

The problem here is that whenever you paste or insert content into a header
or footer, you almost invariably end up with an extra empty paragraph. For
example, if you copy the content from one header/footer and paste it into
another, no matter how carefully you select the text to exclude the
paragraph mark in the selection to be copied, and no matter that you select
the paragraph mark when you paste, you'll still end up with an extra, empty
paragraph. That being the case, if you can adopt the solution proposed
above, you'll have much less work and frustration.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"bufossil" <bufossil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.
>
> I have created AutoText for a Word template, including HeaderOdd,
> HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterFirst, and FooterEven.
>
> The AutoText entry for HeaderOdd, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}:
> {Field}.
>
> When I open the template, view the header, and insert the AutoText, Word
> puts a hard return into the header, and creates an empty row of space
> under
> the AutoText.  Word does the exact same thing when I insert the AutoText
> into
> the footer.  The hard return does NOT exist in the AutoText I created.
>
> In the empty template, when I select View > Header and Footer, there is a
> paragraph marker already in the Header field, and it is bold, and I can't
> change it or delete it.  There is also an omnipresent paragraph marker in
> the
> otherwise empty footer field. I don't know whether or not these paragraph
> markers are responsible for the hard returns, just thought I would mention
> it.
>
> If you know what is causing the hard returns in the headers and footers,
> and
> if there are instructions in the online help that explains how to solve
> it,
> please give me a couple of key words to help me find the online help
> topic.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Tim

0
Suzanne

Header of ListView
Hi, I have a Listview control with some items within. This ListView has 3 column A,B and C. A item's are left-aligned. B and C ones are right-aligned. this, only for items... but for header i would like to have a different alignment than their respective items. for example : A, B and C header will be left-aligned so graphically it should be like that : A | B | C | -------------------------------------- Item A1 Item B1 Item C1 Item A2 Item B2 Item C2 .... So how an i do it ? Because when i modify HDITEM structure it's for the full c...

HELP!! Header thats not a header
Hello All, I have a spreadsheet that when printed is 7 pages. I put a header that is from cells 1 to 6 and have set it in the page setup in the section sheets-print title - rows to repeat at top cells 1-6. This works perfect, every sheet when printed displays these rows at the top of the page. The problem is I don`t want this to print on the top of page 7. How can I make it so pages 1-6 the rows repeat on top and page 7 it doesn`t. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin M You have to print in 2 batches, first the 1-6 pages, then remove this and print the 7th page...

Linking Returns
Date Return 1/31/04 2.0% 2/28/04 1.0% 3/31/04 3.0% 4/30/04 -2.5% 5/31/04 4.0% I have a list of 5 years worth of monthly returns or 72 cells with dates and the corresponding return. If I want to take a date range/period, I would like it to link those returns. So in my example above if I type in 2/28/04 - 5/31/04 I would like excel to do the following =((1%+1)*(3%+1)*(-2%+1)*(4%+1)-1)*100 which equals 5.486%. Can this be done with excel? Thank you. ...

Header
I am new to this Excel 2007 and don't know how to put a title where the lettered columns are. I need it to be centered across 4 columns. Thanks for the help Example 1. Put the word TITLE in cell 1. 2. Highlight cells A 1 to D 1 inclusive (your 4 columns). 3. On the Home tab in the Alignment group click on the Merge and Center button. The word TITLE will now be centred acros the said 4 columns. If my comment have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Belin" wrote: > I am new to this Excel 2007 and don't know how to put a title where the...

vlookup return value from 2 columns
Hi All, Vlookup in it's basic usage is no problem for me but now I need to lookup a matching value in column 2 & return the values of columns 3 & 4. Preferably in the format of xxxxxxx & yyyyyyyy since columns 3 & 4 are names. If you could help with any method that is simple & works would be great. Cheers Hugh Just concatenate 2 lookups together. Something like this (all on one line): =VLOOKUP(A10,B1:D5,2,0)&" & " &VLOOKUP(A10,B1:D5,3,0) Or, you can add another column to your table with the names already concatenated: =C1&" &...

Report header below page header
I want a report heading on the first page - but I would like it to be below the page header (so that my page header is identically positioned on all pages). Alternatively I want a part of my page header only displayed on the first page. How can this be made? -- Diane I expect you could create a new Group Header section on a constant like: =1 Display the header for this group. It will display only once and will be positioned below the first Page Header section. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "DianePDavies" wrote: > I want a report headin...

How do I change headers for all worksheets in a workbook?
.... without having to change the header on each worksheet individually. Try selecting all sheets and then changing the headers, all shoul change at the same time Pau -- Paul Sheppar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39467 Frank, I think you're referring to the custom header, in File - Page Setup. If all the page setup parameters (margins, rows to repeat, etc.) are to be the same...

Extending Exch 5.5 hard disk on RAID 5
I am using exch 5.5, sp4 on win 2k. Priv.edb and Pub.edb are sitting on e:\exchsrvr\MDBDATA which is 36gb and nearly ful. Drive E:\ consists of 3x18gb disks. I have got three 36gb new hard disks that i want to use as a replacement to the existing 18gb drives and also put RAID 5 ontop. This is my rough plan Offline back of entire e:\ Take out 3x18gb disks Load the 3x36gb disks Configure RAID 5 Load the backed up dbase. Do you think there is something that i am missing here please? Also, if you have carried out similar task in the past, what was your experience that you want me to kn...

Header is covered up
I imported a word document into Pub 2003. I let Publisher create the textboxes. This is a large patient handbook that we want to put into Publisher. Lots of the textboxes cover up the Header and some do not. Does this mean I will have to resize every textbox or is there another way? Is the header from Word too? Publisher does not support headers. If you are importing from Word you have no control on how Publisher places the text. If you copy/paste you can set your margin to below the Header. You will have to design the header in Publisher manually. Create your first text box, pas...

Date in Headers and Footers
In Excel Office XP, how can I change the default date in a header and footer? The "&[Date]" command defaults to mm/dd/yyyy. I would like something else. Hi AFAIK this would require VBA. Would this be a feasible way for you? >-----Original Message----- >In Excel Office XP, how can I change the default date in >a header and footer? The "&[Date]" command defaults to >mm/dd/yyyy. I would like something else. >. > Thanks for your help, Frank, but since it take the Virtual Basketball Association ( :) ), I'll pass. If Microsoft isn...

Lookup Values, etracting Row header and column header.
Hi all, I have a dat matrix having 100 rows and 100 columns. The data is dynamic and keeps changing. 3500 3550 3600 3650 3700 3550 - - - - 3600 - - - - 3650 - - - - 3700 - - - - 3750 - - - - 3800 - 20 - - 3850 - - - - 3900 - - - 15 For eg: the data in row 3800 and column 3600 shows a value of 20. Is there any function by which i can extract any positive values in the data matrix such that it gives a summary in another worksheet: # Row Column Value 1 3800 3600 20 2 3900 3700 15 Note: th...

PO will not close
I have a PO that I cannot close. It appears that in the POP10300 table the receipt transaction header is corrupted. Several of the columns are empty, but the line detail is there in the POP10310 table. I think because the line detail is there the GP will not allow me to close or cancel the PO. I have run checklinks against it as well as the purchasing reconcile and it doesn't seem to clean up. Any suggestions? JR, But, have you posted the receipt? If not, why don't you remove the receipt, re-enter, and post? After doing this, you should be able to close the PO. Best regar...

Filtering on Header content
Hello, I'm interested in knowing if Outlook Express & Outlook 2002 can filter received messages based upon "Header content". Example: X-Is-Spam-Level:***** I was able to setup the rule with Outlook 2002, although it hasn't worked for me(does it only work for specific modes). I haven't been able to determine where to add the filter rules for the "Header content" with Outlook Express. With Eudora only the "Sponsored or Paid" mode offer the ability to filter received messages based upon content of message "Header information". Thanks ev...

$psISE | Get-Member Returns Error Message
The following command returns an error message, any thoughts? PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> $psISE | Get-Member Get-Member : No object has been specified to the get-member cmdlet. At line:1 char:12 + $psIse | gm <<<< + CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Get-Member], InvalidOperationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoObjectInGetMember,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetMemberCommand PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> matekus -------------------------------- Illiud Latine dici non potest Hello matekus, > Th...

setting return address in OWA
On Exchange 2003, if I have a user with multiple incoming addresses, can they somehow select which email address to use as the from address on outgoing email? Note that these users are all OWA users. If this is not supported in 2003, any idea if it will be in 2007? We have basically one company broken into several virtual companies and one employee may represent multiple companies and would like to use the appropriate outgoing email address depending on which client they email. Thanks! Third party app. http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefromowa.shtml James Chong robr wrote: > On Exchange...

My report header shows in design view but not print preview
I have a report header in a report that prompts for info and omits some information in the detail section if the data is zero or null. While the report header shows up in the design view; it doesn't show in the print preview mode. Any suggestions? -- Thanks, Karen "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:991881A0-921F-47A7-B1B2-6B180111081B@microsoft.com... >I have a report header in a report that prompts for info and omits some > information in the detail section if the data is zero or null. > > While the report header shows up i...

Changing font of CListCtrl's header
Hi All, I have a CListCtrl instance. I can get the pointter to the CHeaderCtrl of the CListCtrl using GetHeaderCtrl(). My requirement is to change the font of the header items.How do I do that? Any clues/suggestions are heartfully appreciated. Regards, Vinodh Kumar P I think simple subclassing the headercontrol and changing its font should do. See if the following helps you: http://www.codeguru.com/listview/HeaderCtrlEx.shtml -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Vinodh Kumar" <thecomdeveloper@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bdr48r$6im$1@news.m...

why are my column headers numbers instead of letters?
It seems like overnight my spreadsheets changed from having letters as column headers to having numbers. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong...can anyone help me? Hi, Go to excel options and uncheck R1C1 reference style in excel 2007 is under formulas "tbecks" wrote: > It seems like overnight my spreadsheets changed from having letters as column > headers to having numbers. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong...can > anyone help me? Tools -> Options -> General Tab -> Uncheck R1C1 for XL2003 and earlier. -- HT...

Grey Header Line
I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find the explanation anywhere. The curiosity level is high. Thanks in advance, MoonDogii Could it be an expired email item? "MoonDogii" <bmohney@REMOVECAPSclayburngroup.com> wrote in message news:unwuB7kWGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in >color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find >the explanation ...

Formatting a Header
Is there a way in which to format a custom header - I would like to include the title of the tab in the center section as well as the date - but the date to be formatted as Month - Year. Ex. if 01/14/04 = January 2004. Thanks in advance for your assistance. to be a lot more specific- we are trying to "automate" it Currently we have &[Date] function and we are trying to format the results to MMMM-YYYY. Thanks CC >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way in which to format a custom header - I >would like to include the title of the tab in the center >sec...

How do I print the 1st column as a row header in each page?
This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to get an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the proper Help topic? Thank-you! Found it! File/Page Setup/Sheet/columns to repeat on left...Thanks! "Lighthouse1" wrote: > This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to get > an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the > proper Help topic? Thank-you! Do you want to print the first ROW at the top of each page? File | PageSetUp ; open Sheet tab and set Rows to Repe...

VBA Footer
I have created a module which automatically puts the file path and current date in the footer of any file I create. What I would like to do it to also put in the author (creator-not who modified it or who is viewing it) of the spreadsheet and the create date. Anyone have script already written for this? If you mean the author as it appears in the workbook properties in the File menu use: ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(3) -- Jim <kerbe@pactiv.com> wrote in message news:da1d7fa5-6982-40eb-9cc6-a104eade92a6@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... |I have created a module which aut...

Sort with header rows
Using Excel 2000 I have a table to sort, but the top three rows are all header rows. This prevents me from using the Data | Sort option because the "header row" option only eliminates the first row from the sort. All I know to do is select all the rows in the table that need to be sorted and then use the Data | Sort option and check the "no header row" box. This gets cumbersome when there are hundreds of rows in the table to include in the sort and only three rows in the table to exclude from the sort. Any ideas? Bonnie, Add in an empty column into your data and ta...

Headers vs details
I just bought a new Dell Computer Studio XPS 8100 with Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System and then installed Office Professional 2007. I have, over the years, created hundreds of Reports, but..... In the Page Headers row there are two columns, in particular - a "Deposit" Header and a "Amount Paid" Header. In the Detail row, the detail boxes are switched - the first detail box contains the "Amount Paid" information, then the next box contains the "Deposit" information. In other words, Under the Deposit Header the Amount Paid informati...

Vlookup returns
Hi, Is there a way of getting VLOOKUP to skip the first value it finds and returns a subsequent one? I have a worksheet (#1) constructed something like: Unique ID# ID# Data A1 1 Unique data 1 A2 2 Unique data 2 A3 3 Unique data 3 A4 2 Unique data 4 A5 2 Unique data 5 A6 1 Unique data 6 Here, the ID# may repeat, but I have no way of knowing how many times, and therefore do not know how many...