Do master documents still exist?

I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with the
master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.

Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the 1000
page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
--
Thank you.

See the article "Why Master Documents corrupt” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

and the article "How to recover a Master Document” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

I would suggest as an alternative, you see the following page of fellow MVP
Daiya Mitchell's website:

http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"c1225" <c1225@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
> separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
> but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with
> the
> master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.
>
> Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the
> 1000
> page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
> --
> Thank you.

0
Doug

Can EX5.5/NT4 Server Exist in Native AD?
Can anybody tell me if my Exchange 5.5 (on NT4) server will explode when I upgrade our NT4 domain to AD? It will Work "sjohnson" wrote: > Can anybody tell me if my Exchange 5.5 (on NT4) server > will explode when I upgrade our NT4 domain to AD? > I don't need to worry about ADC? The Exchange server is stand-alone - the domain controllers are different boxes and will both be upgrade to AD, so I guess we'll be running AD in Native Mode. Still okay? >-----Original Message----- >It will Work > >"sjohnson" wrote: > >> Can anybody t...

Why do macros show up while opening document, but were deleted?
Every time I open workbooks that were created when I had macros in the personal sheet, Excel states there are macros in the sheet, even though none show up. (I deleted macros that were not needed in some spreadsheets.) It is not a big deal, but rather just an annoyance, and the sheets are good to use. I have copied the contents of many to another new workbook already, and that gets rid of it, but where would Excel be getting this info if all the macros are deleted? Delete the modules as well as the macros. -- Gary''s Student "Ralph Orth" wrote: > Every time I o...

How to save document versions in one file?
Hello How to save document versions in one file as in Word? Or How to reduce space consumed by files of document versions? Excel doesn't have this feature. (You do mean different versions of the document--not different versions of the application, right?) One problem that may add to file size is excel keeping track of the last used cell. If you hit ctrl-End and excel takes you way past what you think should be the last used row, then you can reset it using some of the techniques at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote...

MS Publisher: How to change master pages w/o opening the master?
I have numerous different master pages that work in all of my documents. I would like to change master pages in a document without having to open the master page. Is there any kind of shortcut keys. Cuttently I have to hit "ctrl m" then close the master to get the "apply master page" window open to change masters. Doesn't the Master Page task pane open? Right-click the toolbar, customize, view, drag the Master Page to the toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JimO" <JimO@d...

Any news/documentation about installing MSCRM Outlook Client in a Citrix 4.0 environment??
Hi everyone, is there any news or documentation about installing the Clients in a Citrix 4.0 environment? Is that support or is only version 4.5 as reportes in some blogs compatible with MSCRM 4.0 ?? Thanks for any answer! Best Regard, Ronny_CRM "Ronny_CRM" wrote: > Hi everyone, > > is there any news or documentation about installing the Clients in a > Citrix 4.0 environment? > > Is that support or is only version 4.5 as reportes in some blogs > compatible with MSCRM 4.0 ?? > > Thanks for any answer! > > Best Regard, > Ronny_CRM >...

Master Post - Financial Series
Hello, we have Post TO GL so after posting in the sub series, there are batches in the Financial series that need to be posted. But how do I view the transactions that make up those batches? When I mark / unmark a line and click the Batch ID hyperlink then the Transaction button, it doesn't display any transactions. What is the best way to review the transactions that make up a batch in Master Post - Financial Series? Thanks, MP MP, The same Batch Entry window opens from Master Posting as from any other area in GP. When you click on the Transactions button, you have ...

Can you get Excel to start with no automatic new document?
Hi! I can add a "/n" switch to the target in my Word 2000 shortcut to get Word to start without automatically creating a new document. But the same thing doesn't work in Excel. Is there a different switch for Excel, or some other way to get Excel to start without having it automatically create a new document? Thanks, Lori Check XL help for 'Customize how Excel starts' specifically the 'Use startup switches when you start Excel' section. I believe you are looking for the very first start up option 'Prevent display of the Excel startup screen and a new bla...

MS Publisher should troubleshoot document preview panel
I am using MS Publisher 2003. The previous post I made still needs an answer. Or, is there one? I have a two page document. Page one does not show up at all in print preview. Page one has an RGB picture with print overlaid. Page 2 is just text. It is the only one that shows up in print preview. Henri - Send your file to me at jl dot paules at gmail dot com. Let me see if I get the same result you get. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Henri" <Henri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F653C9C4-6CAB-43E7-ACC0-99477B8D83F5@microsoft.com... >I ...

arrow keys move the entire document instead of just object
Somehow I have changed my nudge, snap or glue settings (or some other settings) that have effected how my arrow keys on my keyboard affect my Visio document. Currently if I select an object and I hit the arrow key (on the keyboard) my entire document moves.. I would like my object to move or nudge around from clicking the arrow keys. How can I fix this? I am having the same issues and haven't found a solution for it yet, does or has anyone else found a solution for this problem. It really affects a person's ability to move shapes around effectively and just plain work efficie...

Update Master Project
Hello, I have two Projects located in the same folder. They are named Master and KTR Updates. Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with updates from the KTR Updates project? Each week I receive a new KTR updates project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was not able to locate one. Updates could possibly include updates in progress(% compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish. Updates may also have completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks added. I'm primarily interested in acq...

Document map 05-12-10
The document map for one of my documents has stopped displaying headings from the beginning of the document and instead displays headings from a point within it. The headings that aren't displayed are correctly formatted as Level 1. And I've entered and exited Outline view, with, unfortunately, no benefit. What might the solution be please? Are the headings that are shown the document map in the same style? If so, try reapplying the style to the headings that are not showing up. If not, make sure that it is the paragraph outline level that you have set to 1 (& if it ...

document did not save
I created one workbook out of several sheets. Then I try to save it and Excel does not accomplish the task. It generates a message that goes: "The document did not save". I have office XP on WinXP working on AMD Athlon XP 2200. Does anybody could help me out with this little problem? Gustavo -- gustavog ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gustavog's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375327 try again save the new workbook each...

Associate a newly created user with an existing mailbox?
I have a freshly installed new Win 2Kdomain w/Exchange 2K. I've succesfully restored an old mail store from another machine. I can see the mailboxes in Exchange System Manager, but how do I associate a given mailbox with a user? Thanks, Brian "Brian T" <pangean@optonline.net> wrote: >I have a freshly installed new Win 2Kdomain w/Exchange 2K. I've succesfully >restored an old mail store from another machine. I can see the mailboxes in >Exchange System Manager, but how do I associate a given mailbox with a user? > >Thanks, >Brian > Are there red ...

Document Information Panel :-(
I have just installed Microsoft Office 2007 and am very disappointed because whenever I attempt to enter the "properties" section of Excel, I receive the message: "Document Information Panel was unable to load." I am not sure what the problem is, but I cannot do anything with the program unless I can use the Properties option. Can anyone help? This happens in Excel-Office Button-Prepare-Properties. Thanks ;-) Only a thought but is it an Excel 2007 file? Run the compatibility checker from the same dialog box and also try it from a new document. -- Regards, O...

How do I import a document file into Visio?
I have several Visio flow charts in Adobe (pdf) that I need to reformat to use in Visio so that I can make necessary changes to them. I have know idea how to go about this. Can anyone help? The first suggestion would be to go back to the people that created the pdf's and ask them for the real visio files. The second would be to check for third party products that can deconstruct the pdf files with the understanding that what comes out of the process is not a visio drawing but probably just a metafile. al "Candace" <Candace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

print documents
hi i have posted here because the other group not moved since this morning i have a table that contains file paths to documents table fldrecordindex fldpath i have a query that returns the records relating to the open report. what i would like to do is print the documents that are returned ie report number 205 the query returns 3 results doc 1 doc 2 doc 3 i would like to print these documents any ideas how i can do this please thanks kevin Kevin If you already posted in another newsgroup and haven't seen ...

MS CRM Install & Config Master Certification
I am planning to get the "CRM Installation & Config Master Certification".... I already took the three "base" Certification Exams for CRM...(plus I already have Exam 70-228 on SQL Server) Micrsoft (US Site) states that you need 4 exams (and this would mean I am already certifided right now), but the Italian sub-site says you need 6 exams to get this certification... I alreday wrote to MBS group in order to get a clarification, but no reply until now... Is any of you certified on CRM? if yes, which certification and how many exams did you take??? regards, Antoni...

Deleted Public Folder still appears in GAL
We deleted a mail enabled public folder through System Manager, and although it now no longer appears in System Manager or in the list of Outlook Public Folders, there is still an entry for it in the GAL, and you can email it's address and have it hang in the Local Delivery queue for a day before an NDR is generated. I'm guessing a reboot (or stopping and starting the Exchange services) would likely make it go away, but is there any other way I can get rid of that entry? Thanks, Phil Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 on Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1 "Phil McNeill"...

Detect if a file already exists
Hi, how can i detect if a file i'm going to open already exists? CFileFind::FindFile ------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Use the _access(...) function to test for the existence of a file. -- Vipin Aravind http://www.explorewindows.com "Iuzo" <accia77@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4412eaac$0$18284$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it... > Hi, > how can i detect if a file i'm going to open already exists? > In message <4412eaac$0$18284$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it>, Iuzo <accia77@hotmail.com> writes >Hi, >how can i detect if a fil...

master template
Hi, I believe there is a way to do this but it's been quite a while since I've had to do anything like it. Is there a way to create one template datasheet as a 'master' sheet and then have several copies of the master. Whatever changes occur in the master will flow into the copies? Thanks Derek It really depends on *exactly* what your meaning of "copies" is. If you're talking about opening a 'copy' of the template, adding data and/or calculating, then *saving* under a different name in a pertinent (read other then template folder), AFAIK, the an...

I can not print multiple copies of a Publisher document.
I have tried and tried to print multiple copies of a Publisher document and each time only one copy prints. Need an updated printer driver? -- Don Vancouver, USA "treeguy" <treeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EC93517-2402-4C85-A46E-E3A0520D371F@microsoft.com... > I have tried and tried to print multiple copies of a Publisher document and > each time only one copy prints. What version Publisher? Windows? What happens when you set the number of copies in the print driver? What model printer? Have you checked the manufacturer's web site ...

Help!! To modify existing formula
Hi A cell (H6) in my spreadhseet currently contains the following formula: =IF(ISBLANK(G6),"",NETWORKDAYS(E6,G6)) If the value returned is >1 then i want the font in the cell to turn red. Please help. Thanks Dan If you are using Excel 2007 you can use conditional formatting. It should show up on the "Home" banner. If you're not in 2007, not sure that it can be done. "housinglad" wrote: > Hi > > A cell (H6) in my spreadhseet currently contains the following formula: > > =IF(ISBLANK(G6),"",NETWO...

how to print a master sheet together with another sheet
i need to print a master sheet with a result sheet it is in the same workbook but on a different sheet but i need to print them on one sheet ...

Inserting 5 files into one document
Word/Office 2000 Windows XP Pro SP2 I have five documents I want to insert, one by one, into one document. Each one has, in the bottom footer, its own File Name and Path and page numbers I will be saving to Cute PDF Writer. When the five documents are inserted into the one document, does each one keep its own identity (its own file path)? Or do I have to create sections? And if that's the case, I assume I look for the end of each document and select a 'Next Page' break. When they've become one document, they don't have five different paths. ...

Track email i CRM if the sender isnt existing as a contact
Hey. If i receive a mail in Outlook, i can choose to track it in my CRM system, if i choose to track, the trackbutton will be highlighted. But why is the mail being tracked when the contact not are in the CRM system ? As i see it, we have to check everytime we want to track a mail, if the contact is created in CRM. Is it possible to let the system tell if the sender of the mail not are in CRM, so we can take action "if" its neccesary, instead of everytime should check if its neccesary ? Hope this gives meaning ? Best regards Kim Hi Kim, The current version of CRM 3.0 will n...