Centre align if less than one line of text

I have set up my normal style to be justified, however if there is less
than one complete line of text (no wrapping) I would like that
paragraph to be centre aligned. Is this possible without having to do
it manually each time? I imagine I am using Word for Mac 2008.

many thanks for any help in advance.

--
daved2424
0

No, you can't define a single style to work in different ways. Assuming you
are talking about an actual 1 line paragraph rather than the last line of a
multi-line paragraph you'd need to have a different Style or change the
alignment directly.

If you're referring to the last line of a multi-line paragraph the answer is
also no. Alignment is a paragraph formatting attribute & Word doesn't allow
mixing alignment within the same paragraph.

There may be some way of creating this sort of deviation using VBA or some
such in other versions of Word, but in Office 2008 there is no VBA
available. Even if possible, though, I'm not sure I'd want it to be my
default for Normal style.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/31/10 12:30 PM, in article daved2424.649c37c@wordbanter.com,
"daved2424" <daved2424.649c37c@wordbanter.com> wrote:

> I have set up my normal style to be justified, however if there is less
> than one complete line of text (no wrapping) I would like that
> paragraph to be centre aligned. Is this possible without having to do
> it manually each time? I imagine I am using Word for Mac 2008.
>
> many thanks for any help in advance.

0
CyberTaz
5/31/2010 8:46:35 PM
[WATCH WHAT THE THREAD HEAD IS SAYING]

'We'-- have 'Justified-from-the-left' (Shorts to the left);

'He'-- wants 'Justified-from-the-center' ... A 'fifth'-style, Not a change....

I don't have a direct suggestion, but his point is valid...

1st. I'd pseudo-suggest try-playing with a compounded object, one parameter
each.

2nd. I'd pseudo-suggest try-playing with the foreign-languages (Hebrew is
Right so Justified...shorts-right...? But, What, might be centered...?)

COMPARE: I did this in HTML to get a scrollbar on the left--! (heh, works)

Ray.
__

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> No, you can't define a single style to work in different ways. Assuming you
>
> If you're referring to the last line of a multi-line paragraph the answer is
> also no. Alignment is a paragraph formatting attribute & Word doesn't allow
> mixing alignment within the same paragraph.
> >
> > I have set up my normal style to be justified, however if there is less
> > than one complete line of text (no wrapping) I would like that
> > paragraph to be centre aligned. Is this possible without having to do

Why Does it Print Off-Centre?
I'm making up an Award Certificate. I started with one with a border and now that's got lost. I went through a time when it said that I've changed the thing and did I want to keep it in my own group of templates - something after that style - i said 'yes' and supposedly it saved it but I can't find it again. And I see it on the screen nicely centred on the page, of course, but when it prints out it prints towards the bottom of the paper - and there's curious little marks in each corner - like a right angle with a second parallel line to each limb a couple...

XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels
Excel charts should allow me to align the different types of data labels ("Series Name", "Category Name", "Value", etc.) individually when I am using more than one data label type in a column chart. For example, I would like to be able to use the Format Data Labels dialogue box to align a set of Category Name labels "Inside Base" while I align the value labels to "Center". At the base of the column, you would see a category year ("FY 2006") while the center of the column would display a value amount ("$5,634"). I us...

Centre on page
Hello there, Is there any way of centreing a shape on a page? Thanks Judith if I remember correctly, just drag the shape onto your page and do a copy paste and the pasted item will be in the center of your view...so first zoom to "fit page to screen", then "paste" (delete shape you "copied" if no longer needed). Of course placing a vertical and a horizontal ruler guide, crossing at page center...then drag shape and let it snap to guides works well too and provides a lasting reference. Doug.S "JudithJubilee" <JudithJubilee@discussions.micr...

Mail to more than one address
When I send email (invoices)through my accounting program to more than one recipient, I get the following; Message could not be sent because one of the recepients was rejected by the server. Server response 5015.54 syntax error in parameter scanning. Does anyone know what this means? one of the addresses you are trying to send to is bad - examine the email addresses for errors. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)...

Matching Text Files
Is it possible to take the addresses from sheet 2 and add them to sheet 1. The data I work with is almost 50,000 records long or I would just copy and past, or sort, filter or something. I'm trying to find a vba way to match up the names from sheet 2 and then add the addressed to the same names on sheet 1. Any ideas? Thx in advance. throw excel out the window and use a DATABASE. Excel can't handle more than 64k records; and it'll bog down way before that. good luck, I strongly reccomend MS SQL SERVER. Tim, Try using a VLOOKUP formula, with False as the last parameter....

Callouts
I have a line chart I need to add callouts to. Most of them will be below the line, not above it. Is there a way to change the default "pointer" coming out of the box? I would like it to point up, not point down. Thanks, Rachel Garrett Hi Rachel, If you mean by callouts the AutoShapes you can add from the Drawining toolbar in 2003, then the answer is that we have no way to set the default for this direction the lines extend. However, the line position depends on how you draw the callout in the first place - if you start at the top left and drag to the bottom right the callout...

align to baseline guides in table cell
I want to align the text in multiple table cells to the baseline guides as used by the rest of the document. I am using styles, and have selected "Align to baseline guides" in the paragraph format, but it does not seem to take effect on the text. Any suggestions would be great Using Pub 2003 Troubleshoot baseline guides http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP062088331033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "prioritypie" <prioritypie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

I'm stumped, splitting up a clump of text into useable information
Here's the problem: The products we sell have a product name, each product has one or more grades of the product (which usually relate to the quality of it) for each grade we have a package size and a unique number called a "SKU" that identifies that grade and package size in our system. I need to take the source code of a page with all of this information and turn it into an excel sheet with columns titled "product" "grade" "packaging" "sku" for each of the grades. The format of the html source code throws in all sorts of charact...

How do I centre an email pubilcation so that when the email is op.
How do I centre an email pubilcation so that when the email is opened it is not aligned to the left hand side? I don't think it can be done. Sorry. JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "SLB1" wrote: > How do I centre an email pubilcation so that when the email is opened it is > not aligned to the left hand side? ...

Text vs Number
Hi all, Been lurking alot, trying to keep up on Excel skills. Please - why do people insist on using number format if they are never going to use the number in a calculation? Why not as a rule format things like zip codes and serial numbers as text? Bringing me to my next question, which is Does Excel have text "masking" as Access does? In other words, if text input is A123456, how then can it be displayed as A-12345.6? I don't have a specific issue, just curious. Beege 'Cause it's easier to just start typing??? And no, excel doesn't support this kind of m...

Combining text #2
I have an electronic newsletter that I send out once/month that I export the addresses to an Excel worksheet. I need to be able to combine all address (over 300) with a comma between to copy and paste to the newsletter. Help! What format is your data currently in? If, for instance, Name is in column A, Address in column B, City in col C, and you need to create a single comma delimited entry, you can use =A1&","&B1&","&C1 Does that do what you need? You might want to try saving the file as as CSV (Comma Delimited) file rather than XLS. Then instead ...

exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet
I have a master sheet with all the sales information that my company tracks. I would like to create seperate sheets for each sales rep. I have all their initials listed under one column. Can I take each row and put the information onto another sheet based on what I put into the initials colum? exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet Hi Clark see responses in Excel.worksheet.functions NG Frank Clark Haddock wrote: > I have a master sheet with all the sales information that > my company tracks. I would like to create seperate > sheets for each sa...

Cursor alignment with data points on scatter plot chart is offset
I have noticed that the selection cursor, when hovering over a scatter plot in the Windows version of Excel (2003 and 2007 versions), will display the value of the data point the cursor is supposedly pointing at. This is a handy feature, however, there appears to be a bug that directly impacts accuracy of measurements taken from charts when using this feature. I wrote "supposedly," because the data values displayed when hovering the mouse over a data set in the chart are for a datapoint about 5-8 pixels to the right, not the one at the tip of the arrow! This is an offset eff...

Mailbox move reporting less "items" after move completed
Moving users from source Ex2k to target Ex2k3 server both patched to latest SP's and public hotfixes. When I move users from source to target, the reported "Total Items" (as viewed by ESM and viewing the "Mailboxes" for the Store) is different on the target. For some users the "Total Items" is the same, others the difference is a few items, and still others it's in the 100's. How can I find out what was not moved? If you selected Skip corrupted items in Migration Wizard and entered the number of items to skip, than maybe that number is the max d...

how do you make a line of a chart change color halfway through?
How could you change the color of a line in a line chart so that at some point on the graph the line changes color? Say like the line chart shows data over the months of a year but at month July, the line on the chart changes from blue to green and is green the rest of the months. I am asking about 1 line being two colors. Hi, You could format each segment of the line. Select the series and then use the Right cursor to move through the segments. Note if you only have 1 series changing a section of the series will cause the legend to report each segment. The other way is to use multip...

Convert text to number
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hello, <br> I have an excel file of > 5000 records, sent to me by a windows user, and the values are not recognized as such but as text (so filtering and formulas don't work). I can only convert 1 cell at a time, so selecting the entire column and then changing to number does not work unfortunately... <br> I hope I can sort this out, thank you so much in advance for helping ! <br> Liselotte, Belgium Are the cells formatted as text, or do they have a " ' " in front of the numbers? If the...

How to copy formatting from one list to another?
We have a large database (Excel spreadsheet about 16,000 rows). One person is going through it, checking against other information. When a row is checked, he is showing that by formatting the figure in column B in red. This is a very long task, so we want to put another person on to it, using a copy of the spreadsheet. However, the problem comes when the job is finished. How do we combine the two sets of results? The underlying data in the spreadsheet is not being changed in this exercise, only the format colour. So we will end up with two copies of the spreadsheet, one with certain cells i...

How to add a carriage return to text in a field when using IM
I need to import notes associated with products i want to integrate into GP8. These notes have html tags embedded in them. I figured out how to strip the html tags from the text but I need to add a carriage return of line feed in their place or I will end up with jumbled text. Here is what I am using to strip the html sNote = SourceFields("Products.Description") sNote = Replace(sNote, "<BR>", "") I can change this to: sNote = SourceFields("Products.Description") sNote = Replace(sNote, "<BR>", " ") and get a spa...

How do I change text from Black on white to white on black?
I also would to add a 5 cell bar starting white and gradually changing to black. For future note, put your question in body, as subject line gets truncated. Format->cells, change font to white color, pattern to black As for a gradual change, you could try formatting each cell progressively less and less black. Say, 100%, 80%, 60%, 40%,etc. You can use custom colors to get the exact level you want. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Joe G." wrote: > I also would to add a 5 cell bar starting white and gradually changin...

multiple select from the drop down list in excel. list in one sheet and drop down in
Hi, i want to include multiple select in my drop down list which is created in excel. i have the list in sheet 2 and the drop down appears in sheet 1. i got to know this can be done with a macro and there was some information but it wasnt useful for me. can any one please help me with this , if i need to write a macro, how do i go about doing that. -The steps i followed to create the drop down are. (i followed the below link) dhttp://spreadsheets.about.com/od/exceltutorialsandtips/ss/blexdropboxes_6.htm 1. Used a new worksheet for lists. Entered the data for the list in a column. ...

Excel can't display the text in one cell right if it's big
It seems if I have multi-line text entered in one cell, Excel has problem wrapping text. Some text with longer lines do not automatically wrap so the text gets cut. The cell does not expand automatically to show complete lines of text. Is there a way to solve that. I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks, Please place ALT-Enter after every 80-100 characters in the cell. cpliu wrote: > It seems if I have multi-line text entered in one cell, Excel has > problem wrapping text. Some text with longer lines do not > automatically wrap so the text gets cut. The cell does not expand > autom...

Text Format in Tables...
I have a user that is always putting data into the tables with her caps lock on. I have told her several times not to. Is there a way to format all the text in a table to make it sentence case??? First, I am assuming that you aren't allowing a user to enter data directly into tables. If you are, you might strongly want to consider using a form for this instead. There are multiple advantages to using forms instead of directly entering into tables, controlling casing is one of them. Now; to alter the casing, you might try looking in the Access help file at the StrConv function...

Same text box in Group Header and Footer?
My Group Footer has a summary text box [txtTotalUnits] that refers to a calculated field in a subGroup footer by using the Control Source=[txtTotUnits]. Due to the fact that the Group spans many pages, I want the same summary that appears in the Group Footer to appear also in the front of the Group (in the Group Header). Can't I simply use an OnFormat event somewhere and reference [txtTotalUnits] up in the Group Header? -Brad Can you justify using the reference to a text box? Is this a running sum? How about providing a little background information? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access ...

Centre Across Selection oddity
Sometimes when I use 'centre across selection' to centre horizontally across more than one cell, if the cells in question have an outside border, the right-hand border often disappears when the left-most cell contents are centred across the selection. However, this behaviour is inconsistent and I can't figure out what causes it when it happens. I have examples & can't figure it out. I know it's not a major hassle but would like to know why. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Regards.......Jason Check for Centre Across Selection formatting in ...

importing text files over 65000 lines???
Hi all, I have a text file (access log's for a day) which is about 103000 lines, I would like to import this into Excel so that some sorting can be done, however when trying to complete this using the import text file option, it tells me that the file is to large to fit on one worksheet, however that I can use the import wizard to contine on the next sheet. I have tried several times and I can not work out how. Any one able to explain this to me, I am using Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR_1) Thx Larry http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 XL: Importing Text Fil...