A tough one? Two page template with separate headers and rolling. - 122017

Hi,

I've tried to find out all day if this can be accomplished:

I am in the audio/visual industry and am trying a new script/outline format
for video and audio production.

I'd like to carry around a letter sized binder.  When I open the binder I
will have two letter-sized pages staring back up at me, each with bordered
tables containing columns and rows.  The table on the first page (on the
left) will have headers that designate items 1-5.  The table on the second
page (on the right) will have headers that designate items 6-10.  When I look
at the two facing pages in my binder it will be as if items 1-10 read from
left to right across the entire two pages.

When I make revisions to a script and insert a another row, I want the
template to push the bottom row in all columns (on both pages, items 1-10)
onto two NEW pages - pages 3 & 4!

Basically, it's like the two pages are really just ONE page in a rolling
template.  Is there a way to do this?

I've seriously thought about just saying to heck with it and printing all
ten columns in landscape mode on a single 11x17 piece of paper and then just
cutting it in half, but I'd prefer not to have to use such a large format
printer.

On 31/05/2010 4:09 PM, bmowell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to find out all day if this can be accomplished:
>
> I am in the audio/visual industry and am trying a new script/outline format
> for video and audio production.
>
> I'd like to carry around a letter sized binder.  When I open the binder I
> will have two letter-sized pages staring back up at me, each with bordered
> tables containing columns and rows.  The table on the first page (on the
> left) will have headers that designate items 1-5.  The table on the second
> page (on the right) will have headers that designate items 6-10.  When I look
> at the two facing pages in my binder it will be as if items 1-10 read from
> left to right across the entire two pages.
>
> When I make revisions to a script and insert a another row, I want the
> template to push the bottom row in all columns (on both pages, items 1-10)
> onto two NEW pages - pages 3&  4!
>
> Basically, it's like the two pages are really just ONE page in a rolling
> template.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> I've seriously thought about just saying to heck with it and printing all
> ten columns in landscape mode on a single 11x17 piece of paper and then just
> cutting it in half, but I'd prefer not to have to use such a large format
> printer.
It would be a lot easier to do this in Excel, with the columns sized so
that there was a page break between columns 5 and 6 and on the Sheet tab
of the Page Setup dialog, select the "Over, then down" option in the
Page order section of the dialog.

Inserting rows will then result in the output being modified in the
manner that you are after.

--
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Thanks!  That works great for pushing the bottom row and columns onto the
next two pages, however I still don't see a way to be able to carry the cells
that contain my column names onto the two new pages without doing it
manually. I have not been using headers because I couldn't figure out how to
have different headers (1-10) across the original two pages - it would only
let me have duplicate headers from page one to page two.

Any ideas?  lol.  :-)

On 31/05/2010 7:08 PM, bmowell wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Thanks!  That works great for pushing the bottom row and columns onto the
> next two pages, however I still don't see a way to be able to carry the cells
> that contain my column names onto the two new pages without doing it
> manually. I have not been using headers because I couldn't figure out how to
> have different headers (1-10) across the original two pages - it would only
> let me have duplicate headers from page one to page two.
>
> Any ideas?  lol.  :-)

Put the column headings as the first row(s) of the sheet and set those
rows as the "Rows to repeat at top" in the Print titles section on the
Sheet tab of the Page Setup dialog.  (Those rows should then be excluded
from the "Print area" that you can set via that same dialog so that they
are not duplicated on the first printed pages.)

--
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply to the newsgroup unless you want to obtain my services on a
professional basis.
0
Doug
5/31/2010 9:33:03 AM
You can do this from page setup e.g. In Excel 2007, the Page Setup is on the
Page Layout tab. Click the arrow in the bottom right corner of the section.
On the Sheet tab select row(s) to repeat at the top - probably $1:$1.

In page order check Over then Down. Odd pages will display the header row
from the first 'page'.  Even pages will display the header row from the
second 'page'.

Excel 2003 has a similar dialog accessed from the File menu and the settings
above are available and it works in the same way.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"bmowell" <bmowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Doug,
>
> Thanks!  That works great for pushing the bottom row and columns onto the
> next two pages, however I still don't see a way to be able to carry the
> cells
> that contain my column names onto the two new pages without doing it
> manually. I have not been using headers because I couldn't figure out how
> have different headers (1-10) across the original two pages - it would
> only
> let me have duplicate headers from page one to page two.
>
> Any ideas?  lol.  :-)
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> On 31/05/2010 4:09 PM, bmowell wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've tried to find out all day if this can be accomplished:
>> >
>> > I am in the audio/visual industry and am trying a new script/outline
>> > format
>> > for video and audio production.
>> >
>> > I'd like to carry around a letter sized binder.  When I open the binder
>> > will have two letter-sized pages staring back up at me, each with
>> > bordered
>> > tables containing columns and rows.  The table on the first page (on
>> > the
>> > left) will have headers that designate items 1-5.  The table on the
>> > second
>> > page (on the right) will have headers that designate items 6-10.  When
>> > I look
>> > at the two facing pages in my binder it will be as if items 1-10 read
>> > from
>> > left to right across the entire two pages.
>> >
>> > When I make revisions to a script and insert a another row, I want the
>> > template to push the bottom row in all columns (on both pages, items
>> > 1-10)
>> > onto two NEW pages - pages 3&  4!
>> >
>> > Basically, it's like the two pages are really just ONE page in a
>> > rolling
>> > template.  Is there a way to do this?
>> >
>> > I've seriously thought about just saying to heck with it and printing
>> > all
>> > ten columns in landscape mode on a single 11x17 piece of paper and then
>> > just
>> > cutting it in half, but I'd prefer not to have to use such a large
>> > format
>> > printer.
>> It would be a lot easier to do this in Excel, with the columns sized so
>> that there was a page break between columns 5 and 6 and on the Sheet tab
>> of the Page Setup dialog, select the "Over, then down" option in the
>> Page order section of the dialog.
>>
>> Inserting rows will then result in the output being modified in the
>> manner that you are after.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you want to obtain my services on a
>> professional basis.
>> .

0
Graham
5/31/2010 9:42:06 AM
Wow!  You guys are great!  Thank you so much!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> On 31/05/2010 4:09 PM, bmowell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've tried to find out all day if this can be accomplished:
> >
> > I am in the audio/visual industry and am trying a new script/outline format
> > for video and audio production.
> >
> > I'd like to carry around a letter sized binder.  When I open the binder I
> > will have two letter-sized pages staring back up at me, each with bordered
> > tables containing columns and rows.  The table on the first page (on the
> > left) will have headers that designate items 1-5.  The table on the second
> > page (on the right) will have headers that designate items 6-10.  When I look
> > at the two facing pages in my binder it will be as if items 1-10 read from
> > left to right across the entire two pages.
> >
> > When I make revisions to a script and insert a another row, I want the
> > template to push the bottom row in all columns (on both pages, items 1-10)
> > onto two NEW pages - pages 3&  4!
> >
> > Basically, it's like the two pages are really just ONE page in a rolling
> > template.  Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > I've seriously thought about just saying to heck with it and printing all
> > ten columns in landscape mode on a single 11x17 piece of paper and then just
> > cutting it in half, but I'd prefer not to have to use such a large format
> > printer.
> It would be a lot easier to do this in Excel, with the columns sized so
> that there was a page break between columns 5 and 6 and on the Sheet tab
> of the Page Setup dialog, select the "Over, then down" option in the
> Page order section of the dialog.
>
> Inserting rows will then result in the output being modified in the
> manner that you are after.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you want to obtain my services on a
> professional basis.
> .

How do I print 2 publications on one landscape page?
Hi! This may sound really dumb but Im trying to print the same publication twice on one landscape page but everything I try seems to show on a small section of the publication like its the actual item thats too big? please can someone heeeeelp! What version Publisher? In 2003 or 02, page setup, check landscape, type 5.5 width, 8.5 height. Publisher will say it will print two copies per sheet. In 2007 it is more convoluted. In page setup, click Advanced on the right. On the Layout type, select Multiple pages per sheet. Type, 5.5 width, 8.5 height. In the Target sheet size select custom...

Macro to only run in one column of one worksheet?
Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to add some code to a macro so that it will only run in one particular worksheet of a spreadsheet and, if possible, only if the active cell is in a particular column? Many thanks, V As ALWAYS., pls post YOUR code for comments and suggestions. On Jan 15, 2:18=A0pm, "Victor Delta" <n...@nospam.com> wrote: > Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to add some code to a macro s= o > that it will only run in one particular worksheet of a spreadsheet and, i= f > possible, only if the active cell is in a particular colum...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay to one domain
We have two sites. Our sister site is running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. They can send email to any domain BUT ours and we can receive email from any domain BUT theirs. I have verifed that we are not on any blacklist. There error message the sender receives is: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'user@domain.com' on 11/1/2004 8:43 AM 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com Is it something on our end that is not letting them email us or something on their end in DNS?? Any help would be appreciated. Mr. Mike ...

Can any one tell me which one is best? #6
Im trying to pick a mortgage but i dont understand the ins and out can any one tell me which of these is the best? http://www.swoopon.com/Swoopon/mortgage.htm ...

Signaturecapture for receipt templates
Make available for inclusion in both the Receipts & Statements Receipt Templates those signatures captured from electronic devices such as the TT1500. and are being stored in the CapturedSignature Tables. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www...

Moving Data From One Form To Another
Hi all, I have a form that shows student information (primary key = student ID). I have buttons on this form to bring up other forms that can be used to register student for certain events. The first form is data from a student table, while the ones for registering the student are connected to a table s called Students Registered for an event (primary key = Student ID + Event ID). The problem is, then when you open the registration form, you have to manually put in the Student ID as input. I would like to pull whatever Student ID was currently showing in the Student form to be automatically p...

MFC: Virtual ListBox control on a Property Page
Hi, I have a PropertySheet with two PropertyPages. One of the PropertyPages contains a ListBox control with LVS_OWNERDATA and LVS_REPORT style. NOTE I ----------- I added the following piece of line in the Data Exchange Function: "DDX_Control(pDX,IDC_LIST,m_list);" where m_list is the object variable of type "CListCtrl" All this works fine. NOTE II ------------ Now, I try to derive a class (using MFC class wizard) from CListCtrl i.e. class CMyListControl : public CListCtrl { //.... }; and declare an object variable like this in the Property Page's header file. CM...

Split values from one cell to dif. cells
Hi All, I have this flat file format data in one cells: 29-Sep 24-Shaban Thu 5:34A 7:01A 12:57P 6:54P 7:16P 12:57A I want to split : Date|Month|Day|Times. in dif. cells Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Syed -- saziz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6350 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471961 One line isn't must to go on but it looks like you have extra space after Shaban so you can probably use the ...

Tough One, trying to count occurences of string based on string in separate column
Hi, For every occurrence of a string in Column A, say "question2", I'd like to count the number of times the string "satisfied" appears in Column B for the same row. The answer would be 1 for the following data. i.e. "satisfied" occurs "1" time for all of "question2's. I would like to be able to add data and sort it and the formula still work. I would locate the data on a separate worksheet from the output of the formula. question1 not-satisfied question2 satisifed question1 not-satisfied question2 not-satisfied question1 ...

I am looking for a slide animation that looks like turning a page
I want to make my slide show look like a book where each slide is a new page and changing slides appears as turning a page. Is this possible? Brandy, Have a look here: http://www.technologytrish.co.uk/ppttipspageturn.html -- Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "Brandy" <Brandy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:A930EA9D-2C96-4C41-B4BA-7C56824C1361@microsoft.com... >I want to make my slide show look like a book where each slide is a new >page > and changing slides appears as turning a page. Is this possible? ...

Group two "Neighbour" columns individually
I would like to group for instance column B and C individually - so I can hide the one but not the other. If I try, both columns are grouped into same group. Isn't it possible to group the columns in a group each? ...

Outlook 2003 tough problem!
Many (but not all) of my e-mail messages are stuck in the outbox. When viewing the outbox, these messages have a date of "None" and sent status of "None". I often have to write a new message two or more times and send before they show up in the outbox with a send date (and will actually send when "send/receive" button is activated. Help, please! ...

Chart template not saving title formats
Hi - I have a chart saved as a template and everything is formatted correctly when applied to a new chart, except the chart and axis titles. The category and value axis values maintain the formatting that was stored with the chart. It's just the titles for the chart, category axis and value axis that I have to always reformat. Any suggestions? Thanks! Hi Tammy, chart templates will not save titles. Privacy was one of the concerns when considering that templates could be shared broadly without knowledge of what the template might contain. -- Thanks, Christopher This posting is p...

An easy one for all the MVPs
Hi guys some really simple quizzers.. we have some users leaving, I disable their accounts and such, but if their AD is disabled then can that account a) still receive emails and b) forward them on to another user who may need to view them in the organization? We're using Win2003 server/Exch 2003. The server is acting as a member server Also, if anyone knows if MS has any best practise guides as to what to do with a user after she/he has left a company then I would be grateful for a url. Thanks all! :) ------- Tech Admin West Midlands, England Stressed and Tired! -------- Chris...

Two documents on one page
I created a flyer that is half-page size, so it easier to fit onto bulletin boards. In other words, it is 8 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches high. I want to be able to print 2 on one 8 1/2 by 11 page, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried various page layout settings. I saved the document as a tent card layout, to get the size I wanted, but am unable to save it as a full page document and get 2 of them on there. Please help. There could be a setting in your print driver to do that. Or if you convert it to a .pdf file (with third party softwa...

Page Break Problem
One user has problems viewing and printing Excel worksheets. Each cell becomes a page in the workbook. When I do a page break preview it shows each cell as a page. The same file opens without trouble on other PC's. Everybody is using Office 2000 Pro. I removed Office and reinstalled but the problem is still there. Ran a virus scan and that came up empty. Hi I would suggest checking the printer driver on the PC. As far as I know, going to Print Preview, or Print, uses the printer driver software, so I'd try that first. Make sure it's the right one and it's the latest dr...

Copy a page from one merged publication and insert it in another
I have not seen anything in Help that talks about the ability to do this. I have one merged publication and I want to copy a page from it and insert it into another. Any suggestions? Thanks Dunc Did you try copy and paste? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Dunc" <Dunc_F@MSN.Com> wrote in message news:exshQnlRHHA.1600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have not seen anything in Help that talks about the ability to do this. > > I have one merged publication and I want to copy a page fro...

How do you make something fit in one cell?
How do you make something fit in one cell? For example, I type something longer than the cell (in A1) "Microsoft Excel". As a result, it goes on to the adjacent cell (B1). How can I make the cell adjust to the length of the word just limiting the words in A1? I want the "height" of the cell to adjust rather than the width. I hope it's clear. Thanks. Blue, Format/Cells/Alignment check "Wrap Text" John Blue wrote: > How do you make something fit in one cell? > > For example, I type something longer than the cell (in > A1) "Micros...

How to scrape web page data in VBA
I need EXCEL to open a web address and parse out a few data items from that web location. What EXCEL macro function(s) can be used to open a web URL and parse the page source? The web pages in question are not set up to allow the external date functions to find the needed data. Use joels dump sub to ascertain the tag name or ID for the data you want: with worksheets ("sheet1") RowCount = 1 for each itm in IE.Document.all Range("A" & RowCount) = itm.tagname Range("B" & RowCount) = itm.classname Range(&...

Question File Sharing Only Working One Way
The problem I'm experiencing is an inability to open or save Microsoft Office files (Word and Excel files, in particular) while operating on a very small and simple home office network. We have a desktop system running Windows 7 as well as Microsoft Office 2007. We also have an iMac running Microsoft Office 2008. That is the full extent of our computer network (connected through Apple's Time Capsule router). We of course have file sharing turned on for both computers. I have no problems in opening or saving files when I'm operating on the iMac: I can open and s...

How do I get my mail from my old pc to my new one??
I just bought a new laptop (and would like to run Outlook) and have a couple hundred saved emails on my old laptop (running outlook express.) How can I get the mail folders and their contents to my new computer? Export seems to send the data from Outlook Express to Outlook on my former computer. Thanks! God bless~ TJ tjsweeney@myexcel.com If you have a burner on the laptop try exporting to a pst file and buring it to the cd, then importing it from the cd in the new system. If it is not too large you may be able to get it on a floppy also. "T J" <tjsweeney@myexcel.com&g...

Repeat rows or columns as headers when printing?
When printing a range that will cover a few pages, is it possible to repeat the header rows or columns on every page (like Word's option for table layouts)? Ed File|Page setup|Sheet tab| click rows to repeat at top and select the rows you want with the mouse. As an aside, if you want to always see those same rows while you're editting the data (say rows 1:3), you can select A1 (just so that it's visible), then select A4. Window|freeze panes Everything above the selected cell will always be visible. And if you selected C4, then everything above that cell and everything ...

Prompting for a parameter in a query when one isnt present
I am trying to use an Iif statement in a query, using a calculated field as one of the result paramets: Exp1: Iif([code]="9002,[tothrs],0) [code] is a field in the query being drawn from a table, while [tothrs] is a calculated field in the same query. But for some reason it prompts me for [tothrs] when I run the query. This seems to happen anytime I use a calculated field in a query in another calculation? Is this not allowed in Access and if so how do I get around this? Any suggestions You need to redo the calculation that is TotHrs in the expression. Your ot...

A few very tough questions..
I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event viewer errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up. There are 25 users and they never installed antivirus on either the Exchange mailboxes or the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are the few remaining issues. 1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a "first administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on another computer that crashed. I don't know how or why it&#...

VERY TOUGH PROBLEM
Has anyone been able to get information on the formula contents of a cell from another cell? EG. cell A1 has the formula: =A10 I want to be able to enter some formula into A2 that allows me to see into the formula in A1. Not the data, not the formatting... rather the formula itself. Thanks If u could please respond to: trevor.gartner@telus.com hi, you can toggle to do that ctrl + ~ >-----Original Message----- >Has anyone been able to get information on the formula contents of a cell >from another cell? >EG. >cell A1 has the formula: =A10 > I want to be able to ente...