usabiltiy of Word 2007

Hi all,

- is there a way to dock the Search mask somewhere? It keeps moving
around the screen at every search. This makes repetitive searches more
time consuming.

- is there a way to horizontally lock the view of a document? If I am
looking at a document that needs to be zoomed in to make it readable,
when I am looking at zoomed in tables the showed portion of the text
keeps moving left and right and I need to reposition it to the wanted
horizontal section every time that the cursor focus changes. Time
consuming too.

:-(
0
abcd

To do repeated searches, you can use the dialog to find the first
occurrence; then close the dialog, and use the double-down-arrow
button at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar (or its keyboard
shortcut, Ctrl+PageDown) to find the remaining occurrences.

This button (and the double-up-arrow above it, with the shortcut
Ctrl+PageUp) is technically a Browse button. The "Browse target" is
automatically set to the next (or previous) Find occurrence when you
use the Find dialog. To change it back to its usual target of Next
Page (and Previous Page) or any of the other possible targets, click
the circle button between the double-arrow buttons and choose from the
gallery.

I don't think there's any perfect solution for your other question.
Word will always scroll the screen to put the new cursor location in
the visible window. If there's a specific part of the document that
you want to keep in view at all times, maybe you can use the Window >
Split command to get two views of the document. Each pane can have a
different zoom and a different location in the document. However, you
will have to give up some screen area to the second pane.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 03 May 2010 10:30:38 -0500, abcd <abcd@abcd.abcd> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>- is there a way to dock the Search mask somewhere? It keeps moving
>around the screen at every search. This makes repetitive searches more
>time consuming.
>
>- is there a way to horizontally lock the view of a document? If I am
>looking at a document that needs to be zoomed in to make it readable,
>when I am looking at zoomed in tables the showed portion of the text
>keeps moving left and right and I need to reposition it to the wanted
>horizontal section every time that the cursor focus changes. Time
>consuming too.
>
>:-(
0
Jay
5/3/2010 5:55:13 PM
On May 3, 10:30=A0am, abcd <a...@abcd.abcd> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> - is there a way to dock the Search mask somewhere? It keeps moving
> around the screen at every search. This makes repetitive searches more
> time consuming.
>
> - is there a way to horizontally lock the view of a document? If I am
> looking at a document that needs to be zoomed in to make it readable,
> when I am looking at zoomed in tables the showed portion of the text
> keeps moving left and right and I need to reposition it to the wanted
> horizontal section every time that the cursor focus changes. Time
> consuming too.
>
> :-(

For your first question, just unmaximize Word and drag the search box
to a part of your desktop outside of the Word window. The search box
only moves when a result appears beneath it, so if the search box is
outside of the document you are searching, it won't move.

Tim Mastrogiacomo
0
Tim
5/3/2010 11:30:25 PM
Jay Freedman wrote:
> To do repeated searches, you can use the dialog to find the first
> occurrence; then close the dialog, and use the double-down-arrow
> button at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar (or its keyboard
> shortcut, Ctrl+PageDown) to find the remaining occurrences.

That would be a "Dock Search Window" checkbox...

> I don't think there's any perfect solution for your other question.

That would be as simple as a "Horizontal View Lock" button....

sigh...
0
abcd
5/4/2010 1:45:38 PM
Tim Mastrogiacomo wrote:
> On May 3, 10:30 am, abcd <a...@abcd.abcd> wrote:
>
> For your first question, just unmaximize Word and drag the search box
> to a part of your desktop outside of the Word window. The search box
> only moves when a result appears beneath it, so if the search box is
> outside of the document you are searching, it won't move.
>

> Tim Mastrogiacomo

Works like a charm if you have a large screen or a twin screen system...

I have a 17" and if I reduce the size of the the document window I can
barely see the document....
0
abcd
5/4/2010 1:49:39 PM
The good news is that there is a dockable find pane in Word 2010 (see
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2009/08/11/the-new-find-experience.aspx).

The solution for Word 2007 would be to whip up your own custom task pane on
which you added a find box. VBA does not support the creation of custom task
panes from scratch as far as I know, so you would have to go the VSTO way.

Yves

"abcd" <abcd@abcd.abcd> wrote in message
> Jay Freedman wrote:
>> To do repeated searches, you can use the dialog to find the first
>> occurrence; then close the dialog, and use the double-down-arrow
>> button at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar (or its keyboard
>> shortcut, Ctrl+PageDown) to find the remaining occurrences.
>>

> That would be a "Dock Search Window" checkbox...
>>
>> I don't think there's any perfect solution for your other question.
>

> That would be as simple as a "Horizontal View Lock" button....
>

> sigh...

0
Yves
5/4/2010 7:07:22 PM
And suppose the window was dockable, wouldn't the same effect appear? If you
are going to sacrifice screen real estate for the find box, it doesn't
matter if it is inside or outside the Word application window.

> Tim Mastrogiacomo wrote:
>> On May 3, 10:30 am, abcd <a...@abcd.abcd> wrote:
>>
>> For your first question, just unmaximize Word and drag the search box
>> to a part of your desktop outside of the Word window. The search box
>> only moves when a result appears beneath it, so if the search box is
>> outside of the document you are searching, it won't move.
>>

>> Tim Mastrogiacomo
>
> Works like a charm if you have a large screen or a twin screen system...
>
> I have a 17" and if I reduce the size of the the document window I can
> barely see the document....

0
Yves
5/4/2010 7:09:12 PM
Thinking about it some more, I wonder if you couldn't create a 'Find' tab on
the ribbon. All you would have to add are a textbox and a couple of buttons
and bind those to simple macros (or maybe even directly to the find
commands). That way, you wouldn't loose any screen real estate.

A good starting place is http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

Yves

"Yves Dhondt" <yves.dhondt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The good news is that there is a dockable find pane in Word 2010 (see
> http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2009/08/11/the-new-find-experience.aspx).
>
> The solution for Word 2007 would be to whip up your own custom task pane
> on which you added a find box. VBA does not support the creation of custom
> task panes from scratch as far as I know, so you would have to go the VSTO
> way.
>
> Yves
>
> "abcd" <abcd@abcd.abcd> wrote in message
>> Jay Freedman wrote:
>>> To do repeated searches, you can use the dialog to find the first
>>> occurrence; then close the dialog, and use the double-down-arrow
>>> button at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar (or its keyboard
>>> shortcut, Ctrl+PageDown) to find the remaining occurrences.
>>>

>> That would be a "Dock Search Window" checkbox...
>>>
>>> I don't think there's any perfect solution for your other question.
>>

>> That would be as simple as a "Horizontal View Lock" button....
>>

>> sigh...

0
Yves

Controlling word shape default settings in Word 2007
Each time I insert a text box or a word shape or similar object, I end up manually resetting its properties to "1/4' border" or "no border" and its fill from "white" to "light yellow" or something. I have probably done this a thousand times. Where, oh where, are the settings for these things so I can fix them ONCE in my normal.dotx template and hopefully be done with all that repetitive fiddling? I go thru this same thing with default table/paragraph border settings, too. Format the AutoShape as desired, then right-click and choose Set...

Redirect https to http Exchange 2007
Hello I am following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555053 I can redirect the /OWA vdir but the redirect to SSL isnt working, any ideas. I got this working on Exchnage 2003 but cant get it working for 2007. Thanks "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B235CCE5-28A5-45EF-B419-62D1A632E701@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I am following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555053 I can redirect the > /OWA vdir but the redirect to SSL isnt working, any ideas. I got this > working > on Exchnage 2003 but cant get it working for 2007. > &...

changing font i word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel no matter what I do (normal.dot styles etc) to change the default font (to verdana or anything else) in word it's change back to times new roman. What should I do ?? ...

Word Menu
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I accidentally removed View on the menu items along the top of Word -- and I cannot get them back. How do I replace it? Control/Right-Click a toolbar & select 'Customize Toolbars & Menus' so you can get into the Customize dialog. On the 'Toolbars & Menus' Page click the name of the Menu Bar, then click the Reset button. The menu bar should be restored when you OK out. If not, come back for the next step. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/31/10 7:26 PM, in article 59bb64fe.-...

Suppress word dialog
Hello all Have used a macro that updates fields in the header when the document is opened. Now I want to expand so it updates fields in whole document. Code works but it displays a dialog that the user has to click Yes to. Message in dialog: Word cannot undo this action. Do you want to continue? Is there any way to suppress this message or maybe use SendKeys? Code: Sub AutoOpen() ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName Dim oStory As Range For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges ' If oStory.StoryType = wdPrimaryHeaderStory Or oStory.StoryType = wdFirstPageH...

Word Count Excluding bracketed words
Hi - is it possible for word count to exclude all words in brackets? On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:45:01 -0800, jlk <jlk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi - is it possible for word count to exclude all words in brackets? Not directly -- you have to do it in two steps. Make a copy of the document using the Save As command. In the copy, delete all the words that are bracketed, by using a wildcard replacement of an expression like \([A-Za-z ]@\) with nothing as described at http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm (but since different people use "bracke...

Access 2007 keeps configuring
I downloaded the trial verzion of Access 2007. Every time I open it, it goes through a configuring process that takes half an hour or so. How can I stop this? Robert This occurs when you have multiple versions on the same PC every time you open Access 2007 after having used a previous version. It's a right pain and AFAIK there's nothing you can do about it at the moment. It's supposed to be being fixed in the first Office 2007 service pack. HTH "Robert" <cpq1bcle[REMOVE]@verizon.net> wrote in message news:47561d71$0$5289$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net...

Problems getting outlook 2002 to work with migrated Exchange 2007 (from 2003)
Hi there, I'm having a problem getting Outlook 2002 to work with a new Exchange 2007 server I've just migrated my users to from Exchange 2003 (SBS).. the damn thing keeps hanging on with a grip of iron to the old server!! My situation history (much simplified) is thus... Original situation: ------------------- 1 SBS 2003 server SBS1 with Exchange 2003 and SQL 2000 installed, 1 Terminal Server TS1. User's login to TS1 through Citrix and have access to Office 2002 using Exchange 2003 as their mail server. Current situation: ------------------ Ran SBS Transition Pack 2003 on ...

number/bullet list style scheme problem from Word 2003 to Word 200
I have a Word 2003 template with build-in and customized styles included paragraph, character, linked style, list/outline style and some macros. The template works well in 2003 to create a document with all the customized styles shown. However, when the template opens in Word 2007, (right click on the .dot file), I have one pop up message that Word detects errors in the file and able to repair with a list of numbered styles. However, I lost my entire customized numbered and bullets list scheme. In 2007, when I use my mouse hover the style pane on these specific numbered or bul...

Word
how can I stop my cursor from jumping to different places or disappearing while I am typing? You are probably using a notebook with a touchpad mouse thingy and you are inadvertently brushing across that pad as you type. You can probably reduce the sensitivity of the thing or turn it off and use an external mouse. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Glo" <Glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Cant change FirstPageTray of Word Document
I am getting below error while assinging the Printer Tray. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A1200): Value out of range at crosoft.Office.Interop.Word.PageSetup.set_FirstPageTray(WdPaperTray prop) here is the code I wrote. With WordApp.ActiveDocument.PageSetup .FirstPageTray = 261 .OtherPagesTray = 261 End With I am using Office Word Interop in my win application. Thanks, Irfan Shaikh You may find some information at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=183 that will help. ...

Money 2007 Premium deleted transactions
Okay, just installed it, and actually got the thing to download transactions from my credit union.. funny thing is it only went back 1 month, would be nice to know how to get it to download everything.there is to get. So I decided I would manually enter transactions to cover back to the beginning of the last month, then I could just do the archive download of previous months and I'd be set. So I entered about 25 transactions and it put them in the Adjustments Section. Right at the top it said, once it was cleared, click the check-off box and click Delete Cleared Adjustments to rem...

Date to Words
I need some help changing a date such as 11-Aug-05 to "the eleventh day of August, two thousand five. I used the file in Excel 2000 that made the conversion but it is not working with my Excel 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. -- Frustrated Rather than recreate the wheel, I suggest recreating the conditions under which the XL2k file worked. It may have something to do with add-ins: with the Excel 2000 file open, click >Tools >Add-Ins, and select the same features that were selected in Excel 2000. This may require a bit of trial and error or informed guesses, but...

How to embed a word document in CView
I am looking for some code sample embed an existing word document in a view. MSDN has a sample to embed a new word document in a view. But it has an extra control in the windows, and it doesn't let me to open an existing word file. TIA for any help. This is not a simple task. You are becoming an OLE client with an embedded document. This means that clicking on the document activates Word (an OLE out-of-process server) and this means Word will replace your menu items, etc. MFC provides an *amazing* amount of assistance in doing this, but it still is not easy, from what I&#...

Null Fields / Mailmerge to Word
Have set up a mailmerge whereby Word accesses data in Excel worksheet. I don't need every record so want only those with a date in a particular column. But Word reads them all as Excel has placed a value in the null cells (12:00:00 AM). How can I stop that happening please? I assume you have a formula in the Date column in Excel. You could add an If to the formula so the cell will be "" if there's no date to use in it's calculation. >-----Original Message----- >Have set up a mailmerge whereby Word accesses data in >Excel worksheet. > >I don't ...

Outlook 2007 Copy and Paste Contacts Functionality
Hello All, I am using Office 2007 Professional with SP2 installed. In Outlook 2007, I have users that are looking for the copy and paste functionality on contacts in their contacts or Business Contact Manager contacts folders. It is missing. I verified this myself. Any reason as to why this is missing? Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this. Copy and paste? What, specifically, are they trying to copy and paste? The entire Contact record? Copy from where and paste to where? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.off...

usabiltiy of Word 2007
Hi all, - is there a way to dock the Search mask somewhere? It keeps moving around the screen at every search. This makes repetitive searches more time consuming. - is there a way to horizontally lock the view of a document? If I am looking at a document that needs to be zoomed in to make it readable, when I am looking at zoomed in tables the showed portion of the text keeps moving left and right and I need to reposition it to the wanted horizontal section every time that the cursor focus changes. Time consuming too. :-( To do repeated searches, you can use the dialog ...

Export Publisher to be used in Word
I have 2007 Publisher and 2007 Word. I created a letterhead in Publisher that I want to use in Word. How do I save the Publisher file so I can open it in word, graphics as well as text? Thanks. Daryl Not in the way you hope. If you do a Save As, you can save the work as a graphic and insert that into Word. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Daryl Rose" <rosede12@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dbeba897-c896-4412-8dfa-1ef1657805d1@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >I have 2007 Publisher and 20...

Uninstalling Outlook Express 2007.
I need to install a 2000, 2002 or 2003 version of Outlook Express so that my old organiser will synchronise. The computer originally had Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition installed.This installs Outlook Express along with the other Office programs and it cannot be uninstalled by itself. When I uninstalled Office it left Outlook behind and I cannot find any way to uninstall it. The old version of Outlook will not install because it sees the newer version still installed. I disabled Outlook using "Add or Remove Windows Components" but the old version still would not...

How do I print to (send) from Word to OneNote?
How do I add to "Print to" the comand "Send to OneNote"? I am using Word 2007 and OneNote 2003. ...

linking excel to word
hi i'm working on a excel spreadsheet and was wanting to place a link to a empty word document, from a link or a macro of some kind. this is so that the user can open a document a write a letter after checking his/her data. is this possible thanks john -- johnny.exe ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johnny.exe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30775 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519673 Why don't you create a Word template and place the workbook in the templat...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...