Typing message error

I have an Asus Eee PC netbook which came with a Microsoft Works 2007 trial.
I'm unable to type anything on a Word document.  An error message flashes
briefly at the bottom of the screen, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked."  I'm baffled.  Is this a computer problem
or a Works problem and how can this be fixed?  Thank you.

I would be surprised if any system nowadays came with a Works trial; more
likely it is an Office 2007 trial (and if it *is* Works, then you're in the
wrong discussion group). If the computer is quite new, then you are getting
the message because you haven't activated the trial. If you've been using it
a while, then the trial has probably expired.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stephanie Haiko" <Stephanie Haiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F2D121AD-83E3-4338-91FD-17DB6CB15654@microsoft.com...
>I have an Asus Eee PC netbook which came with a Microsoft Works 2007 trial.
> I'm unable to type anything on a Word document.  An error message flashes
> briefly at the bottom of the screen, "This modification is not allowed
> because the selection is locked."  I'm baffled.  Is this a computer
> problem
> or a Works problem and how can this be fixed?  Thank you.

-1
Suzanne

Error sending email to my exchange server
I have a Firebox Watchgaurd firewall using NAT. I have tested smtp connection by telneting to host. It works. When I send internal email everything works OK. But when I am sending email from external site I get the following error. host does not like recipient. Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable Giving up on host In the last exciting episode, "Kamran Khayami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a Firebox Watchgaurd firewall using NAT. >I have tested smtp connection by telneting to host. It >works. > >W...

Pie of Pie Chart type with smaller pie showing slices of main slic
Hi How can I do the following: Lets say I have the following labels and data For the main pie I have A,B,C labels with A =5, B =10, and C =20. So my main pie would show 3 slices with C being the largest slice. To do this I highlight the 3 labels and their data and choose Insert, Pie, Pie in a Pie to show a main pie on the left with 3 slices and a smaller solid pie to the right with series lines connectiing them. I want to show the solid smaller pie on the right in several slices to show how the C slice of 20 is broken down. lets say the main slice C of 20 is made up ...

OL2K: auto forward messages I send?
In Outlook 2000, I want to automatically forward any message I send to another e-mail address. A forward or a BCC is fine, but I do *not* want a CC. I've read a lot of posts in the archive and have Googled some, but haven't quite managed to figure this out. Here's the case use. I have a main machine that I do all my "normal" e-mail from. But I've got a 2nd machine, an ancient laptop, that gives me a welcome break from having to sit in my chair all day long. This machine has become the secondary e-mail machine. I have a POP e-mail account through an ISP. To kee...

Typing in macros
I have made a few macros and use them in word and excel 2000. When I see typed out macros on the message boards I am not quite sure how to use them. Do I go into the editor, type them in and then link them with a button on the toolbar? What module do I put them in and is there one for the personal worksheet. I have been struggling with the syntax of Visual Basics for years. Just need a step by step explanation. Thank You Sue In general, the macros you see in the groups are likely to be ordinary macros that will go into a general module in the VBE, eg:- Hit ALT+F11 and this will...

message notification
Message alert number does not show up at the top level of the folder. It will only show up on the subfolder. Is there a way to change it so that if there are folders and subfolders in the Inbox folder, new message alert will appear on the top level of the subfolder? Right now, I would have to expand the subfolders in order to check to see if mails have been moved into it. No, not possible. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "m...

Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types?
Hi, I am getting the above error message everytime I try to insert a chart or any type into a completely blank presentation using either the Insert, Chart command or the Insert Chart button in the Title and Content slide layout. I am using 2007. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Shane Devenshire Try running Office Diagnostics, Shane. Open PPT or Excel, hit the Office button, then <app> Options | Resources. I think that may resolve this issue. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007...

send/receive suddenly stopped working
The subject line says it all, neither F9 nor clicking "send/receive" discretely will initiate a mail send/receive cycle. Tried moving all PST files so I don't think file size is an issue, if it would be normally. There are no error messages apparent. Any ideas? Is there somewhere specific to look for error message for further investigation? Thanks for any suggestions, Michael I should note that this is Outlook 2006 A number of reinstalls made the problem dissappear for some reason, please disregard, and thanks. and I will note that it is not Outlook 2006 as there is no su...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Rectification of wrong posting type
Hi There is one PL account say "Mic Expenses" has got wrong posting type "Balance sheet", when we closed the year 2005 ,System has brought forward the balance of that account into next year 2006, which otherwise should have been gone into the Retain Earning of 2006, is there any option to rectify this error, other then passing rectifying JV in 2005(coz in that case if I take last year TB then ending balance of this account would be Zero) or restoring the backup and doing closing procedure again. Thanks in Advance Shabnam There is a Article ID for this in partner s...

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directory
We are trying to use MS Visual Studio .NET to compile and link example programs from a C++ book, in console mode, i.e. not MFC . Error message i s: c4.cpp(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directory The projects and solutions are in C:\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects What is problem? solution? Should we use 'console' application? or Win32? Thanks e.g. of program : // ctut3.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application. // #include "stdafx.h" #include <iostream> using namespace std; int _tmai...

need help to declard type=IntType instead type="xsd:int" with xml schema
Hi, I am writing C# code to produce xml schema. //Create attribute XmlSchemaAttribute att2 = new XmlSchemaAttribute(); att2.Name = "CustomerID"; att2.SchemaTypeName = new XmlQualifiedName("int",schemaNS); att2.Use = XmlSchemaUse.Required; ct.Attributes.Add(att2); I need to produce schema with custom data type instead of the xsd:string or xsd:int The code above will produce the following schema <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" version="1.0" xmlns:xsd=...

Intelligent Message Filter
Exchange 2003 with SP1 on Windows Server 2003. Installed the Exchange Intelligent Message Filter. Configured the "Intelligent Message Filtering" tab on "Message Delivery" propterties to Archive messages with an SCL of 8. The next day when I opened up my Outlook 2003 client I goy the error message "Unable to add to the server Junk E-mail Lists, you are over the size allowed on the server. The Junk E-mail Filter on the server will be disabled until your Junk E-mail Lists have been reduced to the size allowed on the server." "Would you like to manage your Junk E...

Customize Outlook today error
Having problem to use Customize Outlook today, when I click the option it did not work. Any solution at all. Thanks <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09b401c3d920$46dfaa70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Having problem to use Customize Outlook today, when I > click the option it did not work. Any solution at all. > > Thanks www.google.com will give you about *40,000* hits. If this is Outlook 2000 check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09b401c3d920$46dfa...

Flagging messages for followup
When I send a message, I am offered the option (on the Toolbar) of flagging it for follow up. Yet, when I do this, the message does not automatically appear in the folder "For Follow Up". WHY NOT? Instead, I have to go to the stored message (e.g. in Sent Items) and check the flag icon in the icon column. Many thanks for any help on this. Outlook 2003? Did you check whether the For Follow Up folder includes your Sent Items folder? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers ht...

No size limit but user gets an error
The message in her Outlook says "The message being sent exceeds the message size established for this user." but we do not have any limitations set for anyone's mailbox or for the message transfer. Any ideas why this is popping up? I am thinking may be it is trying to pop up another error message such as memory low on the personal computer or something but the Outlook is showing this error message. Is it possible? Thanks. On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:31:08 -0800, "h gregorian" <hgregorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The message in her Outlook says &...

GP 10 Upgrade Errors
I am trying to upgrade from GP version 7.5 to GP 10.0 I upgraded tp GP 9.0 Sp2 with minimal issues, and can install GP 10.00 and upgrade dynamics without issue. However when I attempt to run the upgrade on the company databases I Received errors on the following tables: Budget Summary Master Distribution Account Master Purchasing Report Options XLImport Error Code (0) Other Error (135) The conversion process encountered an error and the temporary table fif not get removed. Two of these tables have data and I do not know how to proceed and don't believe these are "temp" tabl...

outlook type interface
I have an SDI application and want to change it so I have a split window, on the left I want a TreeControl above a 'PropertyGrid' control. Then my exisiting SDI Client in the space on the right Can anyone point in the right direction to achieve this Any help will be much appreciated Thanks Phil You need to use two CSplitterWnds (as members of your CMainFrame). Override CMainFrame::OnCreateClient and create a vertical splitter as the main child (i.e. 1 row, 2 cols). Then you want to create a horz splitter as a child of the left-hand pane of the main splitter (which has 2 rows, 1 c...

Error 425 -- ANY PROGRESS ON THIS PROBLEM????
Has anyone come accross a work-around for Error 425 -- "printer locked by another application"?? I have seen several posts dated since December. However; looks like folks are still running into the problem. Im sure other retail establishments have figured out how to use two printers at the same time with the system. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Go to Printer folder in XP and look for INTUIT printer. Delete printer. problem disappears. "ew_va" wrote: > Has anyone come accross a work-around for Error 425 -- "printer locked by > another application...

Outlook Express
I cannot delete messages from my inbox in Outlook Express 6. Help. Rita wrote: > I cannot delete messages from my inbox in Outlook Express > 6. Help. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress ...

Scatterplots with different colors based on Type of Data
Is it possible to plot a scatterplot with different colors for 2 sets of data? E.g Type of Agreement MRP Discount% Limited 10 5% UnLimited 20 10% I want to show different colors for Limited & Unlimited. Is it possible to plot scatterplots on both axis(Primary & Secondary) Please let me know. Thanks, Satish If I use this range to make a chart Limited 10 5% Unlimited ...

Error Message
Im running Full MS office 2007 - and with my Outlook 2007 I have just received for the first time an error message after clinking on a hyperlink within the body of an incoming e-mail. The message reads: This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator. This error takes place on my Laptop - Windows - Vista 64-Bit What can I do to correct? TIA, Jim This isn't actually an Outlook error but an issue with IE: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm "JMay" <JMay@discussion...

double messages
I have two email accounts. My default email account is with comcast.net. In addition, my domain name inneraccess.com is registered at Network Solutions. Any email that I get to that address is forwarded from Network Solutions to my comcast.net account in Outlook. Problem, every time someone send me an email to saycf@inneraccessc.com, I receive two messages that are the same. The header looks longer on one of them but essentially I get two for the price of one. Any ideas? Thanks, Coralin ...

predictive typing of addressee
I am frequently sending sensitive email to a person who has a very common name. More than once I have almost sent the email to the wrong party because of the Outlook feature that predicts the addressee name. Does anyone know how to eliminate names from the dropdown list that appears as you type tha addressee name? Or is there a way to stop addressee names from appearing automatically as you type in the "To" field. Any help will be appreciated. joanne Use arrow keys to highlight error address, then hit Delete Btn Do you use Contacts?, hitting the 'To' Btn will bri...

VSTO Excel 2003 to VB 6.0 Type mismatch
Hi, I have an Addin 2003 Application. In this Application I'm calling an VB 6.0 Dll and I send Excel Application Object as Parameter. In VB Project I'm using Workbook_Open event with WithEvents. I have a messagebox there. Unfortunately when i call VB dll , I get this Error Message -- > Type mismatch. Is there any Idea? Code in VS2008 : private Project1.Class1 vbapp; private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { #region VSTO generated code this.Application = (Excel.Application)Microsoft....

'Selection too large' message in Excel 2003
When I fill down or copy and paste formats only, I continue to get a 'Selection too large' popup. It's happened on several different spreadsheets over a few weeks, so it's not an isolated incident. The PC I work from (a P4-2.8, 512MB RAM) was upgraded recently, as was Excel 2003, and I don't remember this being an issue using Excel 97 on a P4-2.4, 256MB system which I had prior to the upgrade. Also, we're running Windows 2000 on a Novell network. My config.sys has the following lines which may have some or no bearing on the problem: Files=40 Buffers=40 Stac...