Trouble with the template.

I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times
New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top.

This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the
Administrator Template vis:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.

But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the
desktop.

I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and
copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.

All to no avail.

Can anyone explain, simply as to a 5 yo, how to change the
template settings?

Desperate, Frank

0
Frank

Log on to your computer as Frank and then start Word.  With the blank
document on the screen, select from the Format menu, select Font and then
select the desired font and size and then click on the Default button and
when the message box appears advising you that you are about to change the
default font to , etc. click on the Yes button.

I would suggest that you do not insert page numbers into the normal. dot
template as it can create problems.  Better to create a new template that
contains the page numbering that you want and then use that template as the
basis for documents that you want to create with that page numbering.

See the article "Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm
See the article "Creating a Template (Part II)" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
>I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman"
>10point font, and the pages numbered centre top.
>
> This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator
> Template vis:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>
> But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop.
>
> I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the
> "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
> C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>
> All to no avail.
>
> Can anyone explain, simply as to a 5 yo, how to change the template
> settings?
>
> Desperate, Frank

0
Doug
2/19/2010 6:19:35 AM
Thanks, I worked this out.   Now I want a Template/Style for
the page numbering.

I am in the Word2003 "Styles & Formatting" screen and I have
selected a "New Style" and in the dialogue box I have named
this new style as "Numbered Pages".  The "Style Type" is
paragraph,  The "Style Based On" is Normal, and the "Style
for following paragraph" is Normal.

The "Formatting" is set to Times New Roman 10 font.

Where is the Page Numbering selection?   At the bottom there
is a "Format" button which does not contain it.   The "Add
to Template" option  doesn't explain which template (is this
the Normal one)?   What does "Automatically Update" mean?

There is a "Styles & Formatting" section at the top of the
screen with various old failed attempts at formatting, but
there seems no way to delete these.

Please help, Frank.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in
message news:e20C4tSsKHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Log on to your computer as Frank and then start Word.
> With the blank document on the screen, select from the
> Format menu, select Font and then select the desired font
> and size and then click on the Default button and when the
> message box appears advising you that you are about to
> change the default font to , etc. click on the Yes button.
>
> I would suggest that you do not insert page numbers into
> the normal. dot template as it can create problems.
> Better to create a new template that contains the page
> numbering that you want and then use that template as the
> basis for documents that you want to create with that page
> numbering.
>
> See the article "Creating a Template - The Basics (Part
> I)" at:
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm
> See the article "Creating a Template (Part II)" at:
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to
> obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
>>I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times
>>New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre
>>top.
>>
>> This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from
>> the Administrator Template vis:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>
>> But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from
>> the desktop.
>>
>> I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and
>> copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>
>> All to no avail.
>>
>> Can anyone explain, simply as to a 5 yo, how to change
>> the template settings?
>>
>> Desperate, Frank

0
Frank
2/20/2010 12:02:25 AM
There is a built-in Page Number character style that is applied on top of a
paragraph style, usually Header or Footer. By default, it is Default
Paragraph Font + ( that is, it is the same as the font of the underlying
paragraph style).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

> [...]
>>>I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman"
>>>10point font, and the pages numbered centre top.
>>>
>>> This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator
>>> Template vis:
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>>
>>> But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop.
>>>
>>> I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the
>>> "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above:
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
>>>
>>> All to no avail.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain, simply as to a 5 yo, how to change the template

0
Suzanne

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

unexpected conversion trouble

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

Calendar Template
Does anyone know if a calendar template exists in Office? I don't want to simply print the calendar from Entourage. I would like to print a generic calendar in Word, Power Point, or Excel with the ability to change titles and such. Thanks. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates Try here. -- Paul Ballou MVP Office http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx http://office.microsoft.com/templates http://office.microsoft.com/home Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't control. "DerMonj" <dermonj@bellso...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

Monthly invoice with late fee template
I need an invoice template, (for storage rent),that adds a late fee of $20 if the customer's previous month's payment was received after the 10th of any given month. ...

trouble
I have been using my MS Publisher 2000 for over 3 years. Just recently I attempted to access the Publisher program and got the following message: "This application must be installed to run. Please run setup fom the location where you originally installed the application." I have done everything I know to fix this including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I don't understand what happened overnight nor do I understand the instruction "run from the location you originally installed the program". I can not access the numerous publicaions that I have cr...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...

Having trouble
I have a set of numbers, a-e. A usually equals e but can be less. B remains constant. C is the sum of A and B. C cannot exceed D. D remains constant I have tried the following formula in the box for A, but C ends up being less than D when I want it to equal D =IF(C>D,E-(C-D)) What am I doing wrong? Uhh, I'm a little slow, but; If you are putting this formula in A and it's the same "A" that is part of the "C=Sum A & B" then I think you have a circular reference. In other words, you're asking xl to resolve "A" by asking "If C> D&quo...

Print Preview troubles
When I do print preview, the information in the scratch area gets overlaid on the document, and there are text boxes where there are none in the work area. In the work area mode, the docs look correct and the stuff I have in the scratch area is OK. It is a scrambled mess. I have used "bring to front" and its' mates-no help. Using Publisher 2002 to create a 8 page booklet on 11x17 stock. I may add: this document had been working but something happened to it, most likely my fault, but I do not know what. Thanks, Jim This was a bug in 2002. Drag the objects to the top or bottom in ...

New Mail Template Question
Our company is wanting a standardize email look for everyone. How can I replace the New Mail template with the company template? I am thinking it is an .oft file on the server, but not sure which one. Anyone know? -- jilltre you would have to re-design the existing form that handles new mails and publish it at the org level "jilltre" <jilltre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:765C4805-2DBD-4886-B5A3-0AD14F4D02F7@microsoft.com... > Our company is wanting a standardize email look for everyone. How can I > replace the New Mail template with the compan...

Calendar template #3
Using Publisher 2007, under vista. I can get to select months using the templates for calendars that came with Publisher. Today I tried getting some templates from MS online and I found a real nice one listed under 2007. I cannot figure out how to get the date on the template to change to 2008. Would appreciate any help if it can be done. Thanks Bill Which template is it? I don't think you can apply a new date range with the photo calendars, looks as though all the photos are different. Might create a new calendar with the date range you prefer and do copy/paste. Its not too t...

Advanced email template design
Hello, I would like to know the following: In contactperson entity there is an account "gender", which one can check as "male" of "female". This field can be selected when creating an email template, but instead of the value i want to put Mister (instead of male) and miss (instead of female) on the email template. How and where (if possible) do i map these values so they appear properly when an email template is sent? thanks Kas Hi, The easiest way is to change the picklist values from "Male" or "Female" to "Mister" or &quo...

Trouble with a domain with a
I'm trying to send email to the domain PCM-LWV.COM and I keep getting this NDR: The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify connectivity to the email system of the recipient. < ylpvm25.prodigy.net #5.1.2> Everything seems fine with our exchange 2003 server otherwise. We are receiving email from this domain, and when we reply we get this NDR. We can send email to any other domain.. is it the - in the domain name?? I tes...

I need help formating a template for finanical reporting

feedback form template
I have to create a feedback form for the launch of a Network group and was wondering whether or not anyone had a relatively decent styled feedback form they could point me to. Thanks ...

Does VC++ 6.0 support templates well?
I am trying to get started on C++ templates. I know I am behind the times, but I am trying to compile "Budget6" from the book (and disk) "C++ for Dummies". The compiler (VC++ 6.0 on Win98) gives me 102 errors. First error: c:\_\chap26\sll.h(12) : error C2059: syntax error : '<' is on line indicated: TIA, Harvey ------------------------------------------------------------- // (comment lines snipped) template <class T> // Note 2 class SLLNode { friend class SLL<T>; //<------------------ error protected: ...

show/hide button in a template
Is it possible when you create a template to have the show/hide button on when the user opens up that template? I would prefer to have it without having the template have to run a macro to do this. Running a macro would mean different computer security setting for users and would entirely too much for them to handle. i have word 2007 thank you On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:28:01 -0800, Sherobot <Sherobot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible when you create a template to have the show/hide button on >when the user opens up that template? I would prefer to ha...

CDHTLMDialog troubles
Hi I'm justing to use the CDHTMLDialog with the following code IHTMLElement* pLinkElement = NULL; if (GetElement(_T("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_tb1"), &pLinkElement) == S_OK && pLinkElement != NULL) { BSTR current; pLinkElement->get_innerText(&current); pLinkElement->get_id(&current); CString tt=_T("Hello from Callidus DHTML"); BSTR bstr=tt.AllocSysString(); pLinkElement->put_innerText(bstr); pLinkElement->Release(); // Thanks Heath } Sorry I posted too soon :) ----------------------------------------- I'm just ...

Having trouble connecting to Hotmail?
Add your comments here! Maybe someone at MS will see them and actually DO something. ____________________ Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate 32 bit........ I have a paid hotmail account that I have been happily using for 2 years now. I always check it via outlook (2003 and 2007). In 2007, for about the past 45 days, I would get intermittent dialog boxes asking me to confirm my password. I would, and I would select remember this password and things would continue - until about 3 days ago. Then the dialog boxes would not go away in Outlook 2007. It constantly asked me for my password and wo...

Sudden trouble with Entourage and Word for Mac
Hope somebody can help -- here part of my Chat session with Apple Support to explain the situation. Last night, I downloaded the software update that came through on the automatic alert -- I think it was the latest OS X upgrades. At that time I did not restart the computer as I normally do, because I was working on other things. I simply chose the Shut Down option when I was done. This morning I started up again and since I did, I cannot get any of my MS Office for Mac apps to work properly. Since the only thing that changed was that the update was downloaded and must have been installed when...