Placing of page numbers on the page

I am using Office 2000 (still).  When I go the route of Insert\Page Numbers,
and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in the upper
left-hand corner instead.  I am using column text on the pages.  Might this
have something to do with the placement?  I know that I can physically go
into the headers and change the location, but why is Word ignoring my
request?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

0
Gordon

This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message
>I am using Office 2000 (still).  When I go the route of Insert\Page
>Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
>the upper left-hand corner instead.  I am using column text on the pages.
>Might this have something to do with the placement?  I know that I can
>physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
>ignoring my request?
>
> Gordon Biggar
> Houston, Texas

0
Stefan
11/12/2009 3:15:42 PM
Excellent question (I should have thought of that).  I created a new
document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where they
are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner).  I then formatted the
blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct placement
again.  Obviously, there must be something unique to the document with which
I am working that will not permit the placing of page numbers in the upper
right-hand corner.  I might try opening the header on the first page with
page numbers (page two), force a move to the right, to see if that affects
the subsequent pages.

Very strange.

GB

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
> without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Office 2000 (still).  When I go the route of Insert\Page
>>Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
>>the upper left-hand corner instead.  I am using column text on the pages.
>>Might this have something to do with the placement?  I know that I can
>>physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
>>ignoring my request?
>>
>> Gordon Biggar
>> Houston, Texas

0
Gordon
11/12/2009 5:24:41 PM
Since the issue cannot be reproduced, it's reasonable to suspect some sort
of corruption in the affected document.

Try the following to get rid of the corruption: Delete all section breaks in
the document and then copy the contents, except for the final paragraph mark
(�), into a new document. For more on corrupt documents, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
Ctrl+Shift+8.

--

> Excellent question (I should have thought of that).  I created a new
> document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where
> they are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner).  I then formatted
> the blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct
> placement again.  Obviously, there must be something unique to the
> document with which I am working that will not permit the placing of page
> numbers in the upper right-hand corner.  I might try opening the header on
> the first page with page numbers (page two), force a move to the right, to
> see if that affects the subsequent pages.
>
> Very strange.
>
> GB
>
> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
>> without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Office 2000 (still).  When I go the route of Insert\Page
>>>Numbers, and then select upper page\right, the page numbers print out in
>>>the upper left-hand corner instead.  I am using column text on the pages.
>>>Might this have something to do with the placement?  I know that I can
>>>physically go into the headers and change the location, but why is Word
>>>ignoring my request?
>>>
>>> Gordon Biggar
>>> Houston, Texas

0
Stefan
11/12/2009 6:48:50 PM
What I tried, which worked, was to open the header on page two, highlight
the page number, and do a right alignment.  This shifted all of the other
page numbers, as well.

Thanks for your inputs, because they gave me some avenues to explore.

> Since the issue cannot be reproduced, it's reasonable to suspect some sort
> of corruption in the affected document.
>
> Try the following to get rid of the corruption: Delete all section breaks
> in the document and then copy the contents, except for the final paragraph
> mark (�), into a new document. For more on corrupt documents, see
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
>
> To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
> Ctrl+Shift+8.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message
>> Excellent question (I should have thought of that).  I created a new
>> document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where
>> they are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner).  I then formatted
>> the blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct
>> placement again.  Obviously, there must be something unique to the
>> document with which I am working that will not permit the placing of page
>> numbers in the upper right-hand corner.  I might try opening the header
>> on
>> the first page with page numbers (page two), force a move to the right,
>> see if that affects the subsequent pages.
>>
>> Very strange.
>>
>> GB
>>
>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This is strange. Can you reproduce it in a new, blank document (with or
>>> without columns), or does it only happen in one particular document?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>>

>>> "Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message

0
Gordon
11/12/2009 9:22:25 PM
Well, I'm glad you got it sorted, but note that treating the document as
corrupt is a security measure. Although we don't know for certain what
happened, if it *was* in fact corruption, it may grow worse over time.

--

> What I tried, which worked, was to open the header on page two, highlight
> the page number, and do a right alignment.  This shifted all of the other
> page numbers, as well.
>
> Thanks for your inputs, because they gave me some avenues to explore.
>
> GB
>

> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Since the issue cannot be reproduced, it's reasonable to suspect some
>> sort
>> of corruption in the affected document.
>>
>> Try the following to get rid of the corruption: Delete all section breaks
>> in the document and then copy the contents, except for the final
>> paragraph mark (�), into a new document. For more on corrupt documents,
>> see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.
>>
>> To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
>> Ctrl+Shift+8.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Gordon Biggar" <colonel_biggs@msntoday.com> wrote in message
>>> Excellent question (I should have thought of that).  I created a new
>>> document without columns, and the inserted page numbers appeared where
>>> they are supposed to appear (upper right-hand corner).  I then formatted
>>> the blank document for two columns and inserted page numbers - correct
>>> placement again.  Obviously, there must be something unique to the
>>> document with which I am working that will not permit the placing of
>>> page
>>> numbers in the upper right-hand corner.  I might try opening the header
>>> on
>>> the first page with page numbers (page two), force a move to the right,
>>> see if that affects the subsequent pages.
>>>
>>> Very strange.
>>>
>>> GB
>>>
>>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Stefan

Placing bubbles
I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location x=2, y=5. How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, radius). Thanks in advance, Laszlo I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up li...

Home Pages in 9
Is it possible to create a home page in 9 and then roll it down to a group of users or do you have to create them individually for each user? Robert Fann They are user-specific. When the user logs into GP, he is prompted to select an industry and a role so the information is built based upon that information. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Robert" wrote: > Is it possible to create a home page in 9 and then roll it down to a group > of users or do you have to create them individually for each user? > > Robert Fann > > > Yes I know they are user specif...

How to generate dynamic XML from aspx page
Dear Friends, I was using the below code in ASP to dynamically generate XML from a SQL Query Does anyone knows how can I migrate this code to VB and ASPX? Regards Robson Machado Response.ContentType = "text/xml" Response.Write "<?xml version='1.0' ?>" dim RS, CN set CN = server.CreateObject("adodb.connection") set RS = server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset") CN.ConnectionString = strConnect CN.Open RS.Open SQLStmt,cn Response.Write "<ROOT>" Response.Write RS2XML(RS,"RESULT") Response.Write "</R...

Shortcuts placed on desktop
Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? -- JollyRoger In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my >desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Tools->Options->General->TurnOffSponsorshipsAndShoppingLinks. Thanks for the help. -- JollyRoger "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: > In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: > > >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on ...

Excel-cannot view info placed in cells
I built a spreadsheet, filled in the cells and saved the document. Now in trying to reopen it to add more info, I find that the spreadsheet does not show up at all when opened. Just gone. Thanks for any help. I have never had this issue before. Liz Liz: Do you mean you just have the "gray" area? If so, try opening and hit Window-->Arrange, and just hit OK. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "crayon" <crayon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A98FD557-6417-407A-B5A5-B47F4141C7A7@microsoft.com... >I built a spreadshe...

Formatting negative numbers in brackets in excel
No matter what I do, I cannot get Excel to show negative numbers in brackets. Furthermore, I would like this to be the default format on opening excel. It rather surprises me that it is not the default or at least in the options because most reprentations of negative numbers in accounting etc are presented with negatives in brackets. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- Mark, Try For...

Truncating decimal places
When I export a file (from Access or Excel) with a decimal value (in this case Lat. and Lon. values) to a text file, it truncates the decimals to two places. How do I stop this? It works fine if I export as text values. The decimal places are probably there, just not displayed. Select the cells and either click on the icon on the toolbar to increase the decimal places or change the formatting - Format | Cells... | Number tab | Number and increase the Decimal places. Regards Trevor "Greymane" <greymane21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b5501c402f6$140f8bb0$a501280a@...

Page Numbering
I have one excel sheet, and need to print let's say 60 copies. the 60 pages out of the same sheet should be enumerated from 1 to 60. I have gone to the footer, but recognizes my sheet as 1 page. There must be a way.... Mildred - I have in the past written VBA routines like this Sub Print60() Dim i As Integer For i = 1 To 60 ' Put counter in cell A1 ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Value = i ' Print sheet ActiveSheet.Printout Next End Sub - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html ____...

Posting Error for receiving serial number item
When I post shipment/invoice transaction, I get following message: **ERROR: Posting to table POP30310. Restore from a backup if possible. When I check the receiving transaction by inquiry window, the item, which is tracked by serical number, disappear from the transaction. Items tracked by lot or none are still in the receivng transaction. Does anyone know what cause the problem? I use GP 10.0 SP3. Thank you, Taka Taka, Coincidentally, the same issue was raised in Dynamics GP partner forums today. This is a known issue that is bein researched by Microsoft. This happens for Serial Number...

WHAT SYNTAX IS USED TO ROUND A 4-DIGIT NUMBER TO THE NEAREST THOUS
I'M USING MSEXCEL 2003 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SYNTAX TO USE IN A FORMULA FOR THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE: THE SYNTAX WOULD CONVERT UP AND DOWN A 4 DIGIT WHOLE NUMBER TO THE NEAREST THOUSANDS: 4600 WILL EQUAL 5000 4300 WILL EQUAL 4000 =ROUND(A1/1000,0)*1000 Or look at the MROUND function in Help. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:37:05 -0800, KENITOSAN <KENITOSAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'M USING MSEXCEL 2003 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SYNTAX TO USE IN A FORMULA >FOR THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE: > >THE SYNTAX WOULD CONVERT UP AND DOWN A 4 DIGIT WHOLE NUMBER TO THE NE...

how do I insert sequential numbering on a sheet of 10 pages?
-- Morrell http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Place Templates
Well,. I. ...

Word 2008: What section number is cursor location?

Excel Printing and Page Setup
Have a excel document with multiple tabs that was created by an end user and when the user prints the entire document to an HP Laserjet 4 printer it prints fine. When the end user sends the excel document to her manager and he prints the document, the printer is asking him to load a A9 paper. It will not print the spreadsheet until you load that paper. The end user that created the document sends the document to severl other people that have various printers. Some of them can print the document fine while others can not. Trying to figure out, why the document can print on some pri...

How do i add the squared symbol to a number
How do i add the squared symbol to a number One way to produce the exponent 2 is to hold the Alt key down while pressing 0178 (on the number keypad, not the top row of your keyboard). Steve "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FAB714-FE0C-410E-AC46-EF47F2C6AC9D@microsoft.com... > How do i add the squared symbol to a number Do you want to square the number ? [ num^2 will square the number] do you want to show that a number is squared in a text line? enter the number with the 2 right after it. Select the 2 and <format><cell> ...

Great Plains should allow more decimal places for finance charges
We are currently using Great Plains v. 8.00. Our intent was to charge a 5% annual interest rate for our finance charges; but, because Great Plains will only allow 2 decimal places for the monthly rate, we are charging a monthly rate of .41%, which equates to an annual rate of 4.92%, rather than being able to use a monthly rate of .41666666666666% (or something similar), which would allow us to get to the desired annual rate of 5%. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click t...

signature to be placed at BOTTOM of the email
hi all I have one netscape 7.1 user, he have configure the signature when reply back the sender the signature is inserted at bottom of the quote how do we do it at MS Outlook 2003? In other words, it means, when he reply more than one time on the same email, ALL the signature is appear at the BOTTOM of the email thanks Version of Outlook is? You could insert the signature manually via Quick Parts or Auto text depending on the Outlook version and if Word is used as the editor. "gbkhor" <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote in message news:OUpyBEqfIHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl.....

Page Size
My page size won't change when I try to switch from Legal to Letter, even though Letter is displayed as the size. I just ugraded to XP, but I'm still using Office 2000. Prior to the upgrade (I don't know if that has anything to do with it), I would simply go to the Page Setup and make the change to either Legal or Letter. Now, I have to go through Options to get it back to Letter. What is wrong? Thanks for the help. I'm sure it's something simple. I would check and make sure you have the proper Printer Drivers, since you changed Operating Systems. Vaya con Dios,...

How to set the print file to repeat a row on every page
How do I set the print file so row 2 will repeat on every page? Easiest way is to go to the Page Set-up Properties. Go to your "File" Menu Select "Page Set-up" Select "Sheets" There are several features: There will be a line asking you "Rows to repeat at top" with a rang selector, use that and you should be set -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com File > Page Setup > Sheet tab. Click inside the box marked "Rows to repeat at top" and select row 2 on the sheet. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >...

Custom Page Size Printing
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium & MS Office 2007. I setup custom page size of 5.5 x 8.5 (sandard size or formal invitations). I setup a Microsoft Access 2007 Report using this page size. I am printing on a HP Color LaserJet 2600n. when I print the printer recogizes the paper in the tray as being valid, but prints the image ~1.5 inches off center to the left. I then setup a custom page size of 8.5 x 8. and used it. I printer recogizes that the paper in the tray is incorrect and asks me if I wish to override and then prints. This issue with that is that if you are pri...

place cards
I want to create place cards for an upcoming event. Where are they in the wizards? ...

Determining number of dates held
Hi, I am using Excel 2002. In column A I have a list of dates I purchased an item. In column B I have the date it was sold. How can I automatically calculate, in C, the number of days held? I case it matters, the date format is dd/mm/yyyy thanks Daniel Sure, in C2, put something like: =if(isblank(b2),"",b2-a2) Copy it down. Make sure C is formatted as numbers and not dates. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message news:%23VfjqAYvFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am using Excel 2002. > In colum...

Need to add Section Letters after page numbers in my footers
I need to add a section (i.e. SB) after the page number in my footer so it will show up in my TOC. How do I do that? There is no way to do exactly what you want in Word. The best you can do is insert the numbering from Word's heading styles (see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm) or from SEQ fields (see the "Adding chapter numbering" section of the article at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Barbados56" <Barbados56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:657...

Recall last account number used on a window
Request for enhancement to be able to recall the last account number used in a different window ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4979342a-e96f-4965-93f7-c99b...

worksheet skipped in page numbering
I have an Excel document with 10 worksheets (tabs). I went to set up footers and my options from the drop down were page 1 for first tab, page 2 for second tab, etc. until I got to the 5th tab and it went back to page 1. Tab 6 gives me dropdown options for page 5 - in short, it is like it skipped a worksheet and will only number that sheet as an indpendent one, and calls it page 1. Any ideas as to why it doesn't recognize a worksheet? -- Zach ...