How do I insert Roman Numerals?

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

3
Gordon
1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM
Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM
"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Gordon
1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM
Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Gordon
1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM
The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

1
JoAnn
1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM
But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Doug
1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM
But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Terry
1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM
If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Graham
1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM
:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Terry
1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM
Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
JoAnn

Numerical validation for list box on user form
I have a user form with 3 text boxes that inputs information onto a worksheet. What code do I need to make sure the textboxes only accept numerical entry. ie I only want a user to enter numbers, not letters ....and would I put the code inbetween this section: - Private Sub TextBox2_Change() End Sub TIA ...

.gif not a listed option from insert/movie menu
Hello. When I try to insert a .gif movie though the standard method, .gif is not listed as a possible file extension. It allows for .avi, .mpeg etc but not .gif. Furthermore, when I switch to an allfiles search and try to put it in I get an error message telling me to check the format and extension or some such thing. The documentation makes it clear that in .gif movies should be inserted just like others, but I can't get it to work on the .gifs I've made. Even curiouser, there is a .gif that I pulled off of the web that will insert and play when I add it from the all...

Conditional Image Insert
Help! I am trying to insert an image into a form based on the record identified. There are alot of records, all of which have one of 5 different brands associated with them (this also changes alot). I have a seperate table with the 5 branchs and each corresponding image in bitmap form. When the brand field in my form updates I want the corresponding image to appear. Is it possible to do a Lookup type formula to do this so not to associate an image with each individual record? Hope you can help. Thanks, Jen ...

Problem inserting fields into subreport...
I have a report that has a subreport in it. The subreport has two fields that store a value that tracks the status of map changes. We have digital maps and paper maps and need to track the status of a change as to whether or not it has been done on the paper maps and/or the digital maps. I want the report to show the verbose meaning of these values (stored in a separate table). Let me set this up a bit... Table: MapChange Field: ChangeID Field: Description Table: ChangeDetail Field: DetailID Field: ChangeID (links this detail to MapChange.ChangID - the MapChange can have ma...

XSL
Hi, I have an xml : <DataRecords> <Point Alias='A' Value='1' Status='0' /> <Point Alias='B' Value='2' Status='0' /> </DataRecords> I have needed by an XSL to insert a node between <DataRecords> and <Point> Example : <DataRecords> <Record> <Point Alias='A' Value='1' Status='0' /> </Record> <Record> <Point Alias='B' Value='2' Status='0' /> </Record> </DataRecords> Can anyone ...

Is away to insert a "formula" into a text?
I'm working on and have been forever a quote sheet. Many of the values change based on certain criteria. I have a disclaimer sentence at the bottom of the page and I would to have it set up that when I change the criteria in the work sheets it would also change it in the sentence. Does this make sense? Marc Use the & (concatenate) operator along with the TEXT funtion. For instance: ="Today is " & text(today()),"Mmmm dd, yyyy"). Inside the text function, you can calculate and format any formula (such as today()) you like. --Bruce "Marc" wrot...

Script to insert Row
How would I write a scrtip to insert a row under the number in A that holds a "NS" or "MT"? I would also like it to copy the row that has "NS" or "MT" in it and paste it in the row that was inserted underneith. When it copies the row it will copy the whole row except what is in A. Example Before A B 1 MT 12 2 D 14 3 x 15 Example After 1 2 1 MT 12 2 12 3 D 14 4 X 15 Thanks Sub CopyInsert() 'Find the last cell in column A ...

Create and Insert a text Macro
I use Outlook 2003. I frequently send repetitive responses to e-mails. I have tried to automate the process by creating a macro with the text of the response, but I am making some mistakes, because the macro has various errors and will not run after I try to create it. Please point me to a step-by-step instruction article online so that I can handle this problem. Chuck Humphrey >I use Outlook 2003. I frequently send repetitive responses to e-mails. >I have tried to automate the process by creating a macro with the text >of the response, but I am making some mistakes, because ...

Inserting time with ctrl+shift+: always shows 00 for seconds
Whenever I use the shortcut ctrl+shift+: to enter the current time, th seconds are always 00 instead of whatever the system clock shows. I need the current, real-time seconds to show. Is this possible? Using Excel 2000 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't know of a way to modify how Excel does this. You could run a macro instead of using that shortcut: Sub InsertTime() With ActiveCell .Value = Now .NumberFormat = "h:mm:ss" End With End Sub -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Help to create and Insert New Target Date record in Subform
I am a newbie to programming in MSAccess. (I'm using Access2007). I have a mainform (ContentAreas) and a subform (UpdateDates). I also have a database table (DateSchedule). The Mainform contains a field: UpdateFrequency The Subform contains two fields: TargetDate and ActualDate The DateSchedule table is a list of dates and a "Usable" Yes/No field (to tell me if that date is a valid date for use) What I would like to do is when I update the "ActualDate" in the subform, I would like to calculate the next "TargetDate" by adding the "Update...

inserting circumflex above character
Hi all, I am doing various least squares problems on excel, and need to have various characters (lowercase sigma, x etc.) with a circumflex above them. They are not available in insert symbol, and holding ctrl 6 before pressing the key does not help either. Any ideas??? Thank you very much Alex --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You might find that there are others such as yourself who have made a special font to do this. There are thousands of special ones in existence. Try searching the web. Meantime, have a look at the Character Map app.usually under Accessories (c...

multiplying numerous cells
How do I multiply a range of cells such as A1-G6 by a number such as .105 and get an individual answer in each cell. Put .105 in a cell. Click on it and then Copy it. Select all the cells for which you want to multiply. Go to Edit | Paste Special, Multiply. tj This method will replace the origianl values. "Becky" wrote: > How do I multiply a range of cells such as A1-G6 by a number such as .105 and > get an individual answer in each cell. Becky Wrote: > How do I multiply a range of cells such as A1-G6 by a number such as > .105 and > get an individual an...

How to insert subscripts and superscripts in data in excel
How do i get a button or command to use subscripts and superscripts in excel. I can get the shortcut in word but not excell. Thank you Ginwithtonic Have you tried highlighting the cell, Format, Cell, Font, Superscript / Subscript? Carole O "Ginwithtonic" wrote: > How do i get a button or command to use subscripts and superscripts in excel. > I can get the shortcut in word but not excell. > Thank you > Ginwithtonic While not the same as Word, you may want to look at John Walkenbach's addin: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm Ginwithtonic wrote: &g...

I cannot insert GIF files into Publisher2000
Somehow Publisher cannot access the GIF Filter files--they are there. It will insert WPFs. This happened after I installed a trial version of Office2007 on my home computer which is not connected to the Internet. I removed it but somehow the access to the GIF files went with it. When I attempt to repair Publisher2000 with my SRdisk2 nothing happens. Disk Check says everything is fine. What am I doing wrong? Don't say system restore--I am running XPPro and for some reason the checkpoint is after the problem. HELP!!!!! Rename the .gif filter (GIFIMP32.FLT) to GIFIMP32.OLD. Dr...

How to round the numeric value?
Kindly tell me that how can we round the numeric value? Example: 1.2 = 1.5, 1.7 = 2.0 "Salman Saeed" <Salman Saeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5460D85-6DEE-4EC5-8E83-A1A5E158966A@microsoft.com... > Kindly tell me that how can we round the numeric value? > Example: 1.2 = 1.5, 1.7 = 2.0 Use the RND function..... =CEILING(A1,0.5) -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Salman Saeed" <Salman Saeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5460D85-6DEE-4EC5-8E83-A1A5E158966A@microsoft.com... > Kindly...

Insert Signature in Email Template
I have set up my signature to automatically be added to outgoing messages, replies, and forwards. However, when I use email templates (.oft), I open the template to create a new message but it doesn't add my signature. It did this in 2003, but I can't find where to set this in 2007. Any help is much appreciated! ...

Inserting Customers into HQ using SQL
We are writing an integration to RMS HQ Customers from an application called Campus View. I'm trying to write an insert statement to insert into the Customer table. I first tried inserting a record without explicitly setting the ID or HQID fields in the script to see if SQL would auto-generate these key fields for me. I received an error that null values weren't allowed. I tried manually creating a customer to see what ID values it would assign. Rather than starting at 1 and auto incrementing it appears to be choosing very long numbers to assign as the ID fields. For exampl...

How do I insert footnotes into various cells inExcel 2000 spreads.
I'm trying to insert footnotes into various cells in an Excel 2000 spreadsheet. I'd like to put a numeric character in a particular cell, which would be a pointer to the footnote asociated with that cell. Does anybody know how to do this? Excel doesn't really do this well. Maybe you could put a shape (triangle) in a corner and add a number to the shape??? blakslax wrote: > > I'm trying to insert footnotes into various cells in an Excel 2000 > spreadsheet. I'd like to put a numeric character in a particular cell, which > would be a pointer to the footno...

Inserting items in table from selections in listbox
Hi, I have a listbox (list17) on a form based on a query called Projects_Select. The query has 6 fields which are displayed in the listbox as columns and not a set number of rows. The MultiSelect property is set to Extended. I have a command button (Command106) that on the OnClick event I want it to make a table in my database that contains the users selections from the listbox. I can't figure out how to do this since there are multiple columns in my listbox. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks! You will need to use the ItemsSelected collection of the list box to return the selec...

inserting a total on a column chart
hi i have this spreadsheet that tracks indicators for a project and i display the results in a column char there are 3 columns, but within each column it is made up of 3 groups i.e. for the hours worked column it is made up of the U.S, Europe and Africa showing the number of hours for each continent i'm wondering if it is possible to insert the total above or below the column to show the total number of hours worked by all the contents, which is the data changes it is automatically updated like the rest of the char please hel joan Joan - You must have a row or column in the workshee...

How do I find and insert male and female symbols?
These symbols are not in the Symbol menu in Office 2007. You can use their unicode values. In Word type 2640 (female) or 2642 (male) and then press ALT+X For other possible gender codes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_symbol Yves "Dr.Salticid" <Dr.Salticid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:681F5064-03E2-4DCB-95FF-71BBF451013A@microsoft.com... > These symbols are not in the Symbol menu in Office 2007. Unfortunately, these symbols don't appear in the default Calibri and Cambria fonts, but if you change the font to Times New ...

Inserting email recipient into email message
I've tried looking only be be frustrated. So not to waste more time, direct me... I would like to insert either the receipients name/address into my email message. My example is this: "Dear {name/address}, " I know Word is used for mail merging, but is that the only way to compose an email with this same information rather than just using Outlook? I appreciate your help. Mail merges require Word. Always have. Always will. -- Russ Valentine "royalones" <mroyal@royalones.com> wrote in message news:D2CDF89E-D0AC-4297-8875-E33FA34058A4@micr...

Inserting additional data into an existing cell?
Excel for Dummies Question!: How do I insert additional data into an existing cell following my existing data and NOT replacing it? There are several different ways: 1. If you have text in a cell and want to append stuff to it, then do it in the formula bar. Click at the end of the old material in the formula bar and type the additional stuff in. 2. If you want to append stuff from another cell then, use concatinate =A1 & B1 and copy back inbto A1. 3. If you have numbers that you want to label, say "miles", then use custom formatting -- Gary's Student "CSJ5...

Cannot insert Column
When I try to insert a column, the option is grayed out - it won't let me. Is this an issue with security that I may have inadvertantly changed? I made no conscious effort to do this, and can't fix. The worksheet is my own. thank.s Do you have your worksheet protected? "Buss" wrote: > When I try to insert a column, the option is grayed out - it won't let me. > > Is this an issue with security that I may have inadvertantly changed? I > made no conscious effort to do this, and can't fix. The worksheet is my own. > > thank.s ...

details about quick+insertion provided in c library(1997)
hi i came to know that microsoft improved the efficiency of quick sort by using a cutoff of 8 elements and continuing with insertion sort then, do anybody have the details about it please contant me. i will try to find out <mahale.amit@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144988612.281114.269970@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > hi > i came to know that microsoft improved the efficiency of quick sort > by using a cutoff > of 8 elements and continuing with insertion sort then, do anybody have > the details about it > please contant me. > You have the sou...