Full screen mode for just the document?

Is there any way to detach the document pane from the rest of the Word
window and size it independently?

My screen is landscape (wider than tall) and most of my document are
portrait. With Word 2003, I was able to detach most of the toolbars
and either let them float or attach them to the sides to free up
vertical real estate.

In XP, the toolbars are replaced by the ribbon, which takes up even
more vertical space. I know that I can minimize the ribbon (Ctrl+F1),
but I don't believe I can detach it.

Being able to detach the Document pane to a separate floating /
sizable window with the absolute minimum of borders would help a lot.
0
Sesquipedalian

No, but if it helps many display drivers allow the screen to be rotated
through 90 degrees. You could always put your monitor on its side? The
mounting of the flat screen monitor may even allow for that.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Sesquipedalian Sam" <sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote in message
> Is there any way to detach the document pane from the rest of the Word
> window and size it independently?
>
> My screen is landscape (wider than tall) and most of my document are
> portrait. With Word 2003, I was able to detach most of the toolbars
> and either let them float or attach them to the sides to free up
> vertical real estate.
>
> In XP, the toolbars are replaced by the ribbon, which takes up even
> more vertical space. I know that I can minimize the ribbon (Ctrl+F1),
> but I don't believe I can detach it.
>
> Being able to detach the Document pane to a separate floating /
> sizable window with the absolute minimum of borders would help a lot.

0
Graham
6/6/2010 2:07:01 PM
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:07:01 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
<gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:

>No, but if it helps many display drivers allow the screen to be rotated
>through 90 degrees. You could always put your monitor on its side? The
>mounting of the flat screen monitor may even allow for that.

I do most of my work on a laptop with a very wide screen.

I have been meaning to look into a separate monitor, especially one
with the rotate feature, but just keep procrastinating. It seems like
any little upgrade / change costs me at least a few days of
productivily.

I guess I should switch to a Mac. I just read that Apple passed MSFT
in market capitilization.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20006024-501465.html

MSFT has lost its way and is now cannabalizing its user community.
0
Sesquipedalian

Protecting the document
Greetings, Does MS Publisher have a feature similar to MS Word where you can protect the document. I don't seem to find it in any of the menu's. Thanks....... Gene Amazing you cannot find it. Reason it is not there :) ...

Word document version
How do we programmatically get the MS Word document version? Like certain documents are of word 2003 version, Word 6.0, Word 97 etc. We have a bunch of these documents (Word versions 6.0, 2000, 2003, and 2007) and we want to export the ones that are anything before Word 2003 to MS word 2003 format. How can we do this? See See the article "Getting access to the Document Properties of a Word file” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DSOFile.htm -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid cons...

#REF! error with Multiple Documents
I keep receiving a #REF! error when I try to use VLOOKUP to find data in one document and bring it to another. If both documents are open all the numbers are fine. However when I close the book with the data I receive the error, or when the vlookup book is opened it does it. If tell it to update the data error, if I don't update error. What is weird is I have other documents that work fine, with the same equation. Please help because I'm lost on this issue. Happens Excel 2007 and 2010. =VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\Users\USER\Documents\BOOK DATA.xlsx'!Data[#All],2,FALSE) Som...

Lines
Hi Marshall Barton replied to my previous post, with code as below, to create a 'roundy rectangle' And all worked well. Or so I thought. The report looked fine on screen, and printed fine. However, if coverted to snapshot, the thinkness of the line greatly increased, so that all the rectangles merged together. Likewise if converted to PDF - we're using a third party app - Win2PDF. The report is a main report with around 10 sub reports. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I created a brand new main report. Then I inserted the sub reports in. Lets call the origin...

few confusing things about Full-Text Search queries
hi I=92ve started learning FULL-TEXT Search queries ( using Sql server 2008 ) and I did try to find the answers to my questions by running various queries and see how they behave, but then not even the simplest of queries returned the results I=92ve expected, so=85 1) From Msdn: =93<simple_term> - Specifies a match for an exact word or a phrase. Examples of valid simple terms are "blue berry", blueberry, and "Microsoft SQL Server". Phrases should be enclosed in double quotation marks (""). Words in a phrase must appear in the same order ...

hard drive too full after reinstalling XP
For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up. There were two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule. I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe out all previous versions...." To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with minimal programs. All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded. When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full! How is...

Outlook full
How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very much. Can you split up the .pst into smaller batches? A .pst for each year perhaps? >-----Original Message----- >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 >gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not >affect the size of .pst very much. >. > >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I >permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very >much. Hav...

Showing number of pages, in a document ....
Hi ... a basic question, which, for reasons unknown, is beyond me ... for years, the number of pages in a document have been showing, on the bottom left of the Publisher screen. This is how I navigate from page to page. A glitch has occurred, and now the pages are not showing as before. Q: how do I return the "number of pages in document display" to the Publisher display? Am using Office 2007 and XP Pro. Both are up-to-date. Thanks in advance. You need the registry fix. Look at the sixth FAQ here: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http:/...

Delayed send in Outlook Cached Mode
I have found an issue with Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 that isn't mentioned as a caveat in the online help for Outlook. If you use the new cached mode for your Exchange mailbox, messages set up as "Do Not Deliver before:" don't work as expected. The message sits in your Outbox until the next time you open Outlook rather than sending the message to the server for delivery at the specified time. Is this correct? Is this as expected? Is my only option not to use cached mode? I would like to continue to use cached mode but some users do make use of the delayed deli...

Problem opening Excel documents
Hi, all of a sudden on pne PC on our small network I have a problem opening Word and Excel Documents. For this user files are kept in a folder called Private on a Windows 2000 Pro PC. Access to this folder is denied to anyone apart from this user. This has been working ok for over a year since we put the Win2000Pro Pc on the network, but today everytimg he opens an old Excel SS he gets the message "file **** is being modified by 'the user' open as read only or chose notify' Has anyone got a clue why this should happen all of a sudden? ...

"Contact list full" Error message, but contact list is not full.
Hi, I am trying to add a new contact and it keeps saying my contact list is full (I have around 100 people on there). I delete people and still get the same message, I have even delete people out of my network on windows live, but still the same. I have had this problem for a couple of days now. Anyone help? Greetings Charles, This is an on-going problem over the past few days, and unsure what exactly is going on. However, you are certainly not alone. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://...

transfer of cells from a worksheet to an other excel document
HELLO I have about 2000 Exel documents and each one has 3 worksheets. I want to select cells B105:B109 and G4, G8, H8, K12 , J2:J5, M8, from all the worksheets(2) of these Excel files and send them on an othe Excel document ISSUE2003.xls located at: D:\ISSUE2003.xls on one line for each document. If you could provide me a typical macro, I could sort it out for al the others tasks . Thanks a lot:confused ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How to move a sub window to full screen?
hi,all I have a problem in my c++ 6.0 app. I want to full screen a couple of windows. I just get the rect of desktop and call MoveWindow() to move my main app window to full screen. This is no problem. But when I did the same thing in a sub/child window, it is different. ::GetWindowRect(hDesktop, &rect);//rect.top = 0 , rect.bottom=768 ScreenToClient(&rect); //rect.top = -44, rect.bottom=724, left=-6, right=1018 //Here, I think it should be rect.top = -28, the title height. Why is it -44? MoveWindow(rect);// After that, we can not see the window title. So, how to convert this ? Tha...

Replace in more than 1 document
I'm familiar with Search & Replace, but wanted to replace a word in more than one document at the same time, without opening up each document and doing the S&R within that document. Anyone know how? If you can't, it would be a good new feature. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:25:01 -0800, rfrench <rfrench@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

scanning documents and attaching them to vendor card
we'd like a simple process for attaching images of W-9 forms to vendor cards. Currently we have a separate database with the W-9 images, and it requires too many steps to be practical, plus when it is done it is still not embedded in GP. We don't need full workflow, and the volume is fairly light so the AP people would want it to easily flow in their usual routine of creating a vendor. does anyone have experience with an easy to use embedded solution? Unless you don't want to go through the steps, if you have the image file, just attach it to the vendor card note as an OL...

there are unread messages showing on my logon screen?
On my log-on screen there are two unread messages showing since I installed Office Standard 2007. When I open Outlook there are no unread messages. Likewise none in Outlook express. (I have removed the email accounts from Outlook express since install and now solely use Office Outlook.) How do I remove these two messages if I can't find them? See if the info here helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304148/en-us "Chocolate Cake" <Chocolate Cake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95C236B5-8DC1-4989-8CE3-BBB803903E2C@microsoft.com... > On my log-o...

I've just loaded outlook but it does not display any of my messag
I have just loaded Outlook. It recognises my MSN name but does not display any of my messages, nor my personal mail folders. Is there some sort of initialisation that I need to do to populate the folders ? P.S. I've had the account for 4 years, but have been using Hotmail up until now. are you using the outlook connector? Did you do a send and receive? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlookti...

Working with outlook in offline mode
I am using outlook 2000 to compose emails while i am offline at home. When i connect the laptop to the network the emails move to the sent items, however the intended reciepents does not recieve the emails. Can anyone help I presume you're using Exchange - what do you have in tools | services? Are the items showing up in your outbox when you hit send while offline? DSG wrote: > I am using outlook 2000 to compose emails while i am > offline at home. When i connect the laptop to the network > the emails move to the sent items, however the intended > reciepents does not recie...

Powerpoint Screen tip linking
Currently screen tips are keyed text only. Can that be upgraded to be linked to an Excel sheet? Example: I support a fire department that has images of fire hydrants on various slides. The images use screen tips to provide hydrant info. If the info could be linked, then if hydrant info changes are made to the sheet, the ppt file could update without the hassle of locating and changing every screen tip affected. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the &quo...

Automatically opening file saved to someone "Documents&Sett' direc
Help Needed. I had developed a macro that was used by myself, however now the macro needs to be utilised by others. The marco opens files, that have been exported from the corporate database. The files are saved automatically to the users C Drive eg. C:\Documents and Settings\"username – officer logged on"\help.xls The only difference is the username in the file path. Is there anyway that I can change the file path to automatically go to the correct file, without having to create a different macro for each user. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the 3...

Error message when starting Vista during black screen section
As Vista comes up I get a message -1st delete program not found skipping auto check Doesn't seem to bother anything, just want to find out if their is something I can do to identify and fix the problem. Thanks, Bob -- The Dog Breeders List www.dogbreederslist.com 704-965-8622 I believe that the message was Isdelete program not found. See: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/583755-solved-solved-lsdelete-program-not.html "The Dog Breeders List" <rltutt@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3B8E5F93-9808-4C16-85D4-AE977DC03C1F@microsoft.com... ...

how do I get rid of a split screen?
When I open a document that has more than one page, it has a split screen. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of a split screen? WORD 2007 View tab Window group click on Remove Split If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "barb" wrote: > When I open a document that has more than one page, it has a split screen. > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of a split screen? Note that if you split a window, or create a second window, that setting will be lost if you just close and reopen the document, as multiple windows or panes ar...

VBA just dies
I have a button on the first of 30 worksheets which does a lot of work behind the scenes: deleting worksheets, populating cells, creating new worksheets. Most of the time, but not frequently enough, it runs flawlessly. But every once in a while it will start the process, delete all the worksheets it is supposed to delete, create a lot of the sheets it is supposed to create and then, near the end of the process, before it has completed 100% of the sheets it is supposed to create, it just stops dead in its tracks. In order to recover I have to go into VBA (alt-11) and enter a "applicatio...

how do i insert a document in publisher 2003?
I have several documents that were written at different times in Pub 2002 and Pub 2003. Is there any way I can put two or more of those documents into a single Pub document that I can then print as one document? MagnestyJoe wrote: > I have several documents that were written at different times in Pub > 2002 and Pub 2003. Is there any way I can put two or more of those > documents into a single Pub document that I can then print as one > document? Yes. It's called copy and paste. There's no other way. -- My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he even...

DISK IS FULL
I have users who get disk is full message when tring to save excel file to a network drive. The drive has plenty of room 57G. The files are large 80meg and bigger with many links to other worksheets. ...