Displaying colour codes in Word 2007

I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
people MAD.

When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007,
the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly,
this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've
never seen a computer.

If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or
an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is
far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or custom)
Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours (I'm
translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in the
standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly? People
who don't need the information would probably not notice it's there.

Regards

0
OldHand

From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>people MAD.
>
> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
> people who've never seen a computer.
>
> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
> there.
>
> Regards

0
Graham
2/16/2010 9:26:04 AM

"OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
> I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
> seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
> people MAD.
>
> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
> people who've never seen a computer.
>
> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
> there.
>
> Regards

I have never used a MS product to determine the color code of an area of a
picture or field.  I use Pixie from http://www.nattyware.com/?m31.  It is a
small free program the instantly can tell you the RGB, HTML, CMYK or HSV
codes.

0
LVTravel
2/16/2010 11:09:45 AM
That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the current
colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are we expected
to memorise the manual?

Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation of
M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising the
number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary functions.

I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$ products,
and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the mad bits.

Regards

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>>people MAD.
>>
>> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
>> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
>> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
>> people who've never seen a computer.
>>
>> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
>> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
>> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
>> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
>> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
>> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
>> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
>> there.
>>
>> Regards

0
OldHand
2/17/2010 8:38:29 PM
I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the colour
index of the selected item.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
> we expected to memorise the manual?
>
> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation
> of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising
> the number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary
> functions.
>
> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$ products,
> and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the mad bits.
>
> Regards
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
>> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>>>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>>>people MAD.
>>>
>>> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
>>> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
>>> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
>>> people who've never seen a computer.
>>>
>>> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
>>> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then
>>> it is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
>>> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
>>> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space
>>> in the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes
>>> directly? People who don't need the information would probably not
>>> notice it's there.
>>>
>>> Regards

0
Graham
2/18/2010 6:38:31 AM
The point is that you should not have to go into the dialogue; this product
in its present form has regressed. It requires you to make far too many
mouse clicks for efficient or comfortable working (and many users have to
work intensively for many hours a day).

The obvious solution is to put the colour index in the hover text (for new
users, that's the hopefully useful information that should be displayed when
you place your cursor over an item. It's very easy to program that sort of
thing).

>I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the colour
>index of the selected item.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
>> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
>> we expected to memorise the manual?
>>
>> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation
>> of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising
>> the number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary
>> functions.
>>
>> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$
>> products, and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the
>> mad bits.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>>> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
>>> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message

0
OldHand
2/18/2010 10:14:43 AM
Instead of fighting the software to make it do what you want, work with it.
If you need coloured fonts etc set them up as character or paragraph styles
and assign them to keyboard shortcuts. You don't need to use the mouse at
all.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> The point is that you should not have to go into the dialogue; this
> product in its present form has regressed. It requires you to make far too
> many mouse clicks for efficient or comfortable working (and many users
> have to work intensively for many hours a day).
>
> The obvious solution is to put the colour index in the hover text (for new
> users, that's the hopefully useful information that should be displayed
> when you place your cursor over an item. It's very easy to program that
> sort of thing).
>
> Regards
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>>I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the
>>colour index of the selected item.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
>>> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
>>> we expected to memorise the manual?
>>>
>>> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present
>>> generation of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of
>>> maximising the number of mouse clics required to perform the most
>>> elementary functions.
>>>
>>> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$
>>> products, and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the
>>> mad bits.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de

0
Graham

Access 2007 Upgrade Problems
Help! A couple of years ago I created an assets database using Access 2003. Recently our computers were upgraded to Office 2007. I have been using my assets database using the new Access 2007 and have updated and changed a lot of objects. For the most part, it works OK. One thing I tried that did not work is saving my assets database as an Access 2007 database. When I try, I get a warning message telling me that all open objects must first be closed before the conversion can take place. The same warning dialog asks me if I want Microsoft Offfice Access to close the objec...

Dual Displays

adding code to sort a list in VBA
I have a user form that enters data to a file and the file should be sorted in date order. How can I add code to an already existing code in Visual Basic so that after the user clicks the "OK" button the data gets entered, then after that it automatically sorts the data according to the date column. I tried recording a macro to do it and then copy/paste it to the code but i get an error. Any ideas as to what the code should look like, where it should be placed in the program? Thanks Tim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi! A good start would be to show ...

Vba code cannot select text pasted from .txt file
The data I'm working with is from a .txt file which was created by exporting a .pdf to a text file. I copy all of the text from the .txt file and paste it into a column in Excel. When trying to reference any column, row, or range on the sheet with the pasted text, I get the following error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error. Sample code: Sheets("Sheet5").Select ' <this works fine Columns("A:A").Select ' <this gets the error I've tried pasting the text with other paste special options. I'v...

Folder could not be displayed

Changing Codes
I have a series of product codes that all begin with a zero e.g 0455 0343, 0325. I want to change all the zeros to a 9 is there a quick way of doin this? Chri -- cj2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cj21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2567 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40144 Maybe using a helper cell and using a formula? ="9"&mid(a1,2,255) (255 is just a very big number to get the remainder of the text.) If these are numbers just formatted to show ...

Display Time in Outlook

Word Cells into Excel Cells #2
How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into cells within Excel *.xls. By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simply select table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want it to appear. J "gary" wrote: > How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into > cells within Excel *.xls. > > > jayceejay Wrote: > By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simpl > select > table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want i > to > ap...

How to select & display distinct values

Money 2007 -- QIF import
Good Evening! After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions) with little trouble except for the date format. (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do with my regional settings!) As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel, then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file. The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106" (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006,...

Import Project with Actuals to Project Server 2007
I have saved a local copy of the project that has actual work from our Project Server 2003 environment. I am executing the Import Wizard in Project Server 2007. When I save or publish the plan, I receive a message box status the actual work is out of sync with the actual work updated from the timesheets. The server is configured to allow user to enter their updates via My Tasks with unmanaged time periods. I can get more specifics from our Admin is needed. How do you take a local copy of a project with actuals and import the project along with the actuals into the Projec...

PK and FK Displayed

area code changed
All around us the area codes are changing. How can I universally find and replace the area codes in my contacts? thanx ...

Word 2007 doesn't catch all misspelled words 12-23-09
I posted this earlier today, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. My apologies if it did. Word 2007 document, saved as Word 97-2003 doc, also saved as Word doc. In either case, it does not pick up the word "collogues" as a misspelled word. I have done all of the suggested fixes and checks: hidden text, set language, do not check, etc. None of them make any difference. I added the "word" collogue as something to autocorrect--that doesn't help either. I have had the same thing happen with other docs--Word will pick up most but not all misspelle...

Why do eMails contain "=20" and "=C3=A4" char codes ?
Occasionally (but not always) I am getting eMails which contain a lot of characters codes beginning with an "=" in the text body e.g. "=20" and "=C3=A4". What is the reason ? Is this an error of the sending or an error of the receiving eMail client ? Is this an error in the Win System or a matter of the eMail client? Sometimes CSS statements (beginning with <STYLE>) are visible as well. Is the reason for that the same as for the char miscoding ? Sven ...

Outlook 2007 Watermark for staionery 11-16-09
I would like to make my own watermark for stationery using a picture of my own - is this possible if so can I get directions to do it. You can simple set a watermarked picture as the background for that. Many photo editor applications have a watermark filter to create such images. For an example see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/285 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- &q...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Stop displaying a line

Excel 2007 does start up right
I have been using Excel 2007 since about March with no problems. Recently I started experiencing a problem when the application is stated. It randomly (maybe 2 out of 6 times) does not open to the "grid" screen but rather a light blue screen with nothing on it except the Ready button in the upper left corner. If I click on that button I get the same drop down menus as I get when the application starts correctly and I click on the Ready button in the lower left corner. This has only been happening for about the last two weeks. If I just open it and close it several times withou...

attching files in outlook 2007
hello, if I try and insert a file into a message in outlook 2007 I only get options to insert or insert as text. in previous versions there was an option to insert as a hyperlink, is this no longer available? I am using outlook/office 2007 with SP2 installed. Thanks in advance for any help. Taffy B "TAFFY" <TAFFY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01D958C4-B54B-4127-BB93-F414AD3D9A68@microsoft.com... > hello, > if I try and insert a file into a message in outlook 2007 I only get > options > to insert or insert as text. in pre...

Control Codes
I am printing labels using an old Datamax label printer that requires the STX (hex o2) control code to start the label format. RMS seems to strip this out. Has anyone had success in sending Printer control codes to the label file? Tried CHR$(02) but it did nothing. ...

Can individual words in a sentence be animated in powerpoint?
I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. On 6/4/10 1:08 PM, consultkjb wrote: > I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like > to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. I think you can only do that if they are in a separate text box. --David -- David M. Marcovitz Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Associate Professor, Loyola University Maryland Author of _Powerful PowerPoint for Educators_ http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/ ...