Date field only update if document has been updated

Ok, this may be simple... but I haven't figured it out yet.  I only want the
date/time field in my footer to update if a change to the document has been
made. I don't want it to change when the document opens.  I don't want it to
change when it's printed.   I don't need the createdate field... that doesn't
work... so.. is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Kim

Kim

Use the SaveDate field then.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Kim W. via OfficeKB.com" <u40534@uwe> wrote in message
> Ok, this may be simple... but I haven't figured it out yet.  I only want
> the
> date/time field in my footer to update if a change to the document has
> been
> made. I don't want it to change when the document opens.  I don't want it
> change when it's printed.   I don't need the createdate field... that
> doesn't
> work... so.. is there anything I can do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kim

Terry
4/15/2010 4:24:16 PM
You could use the savedate field. However most fields do not update
automatically and if you updated the savedate field after saving to display
its revised content, the document would need to be saved again ad infinitum.
It should however show the correct date the next time the document is
opened.

You could work around this with a couple of macros in the document template,
then replace the field in the document with the docvariable field {
DocVariable varSaveDate }. The macros update a document variable with the
current date before saving. You can change the date formatting switches
"dd/MM/yyyy" to suit your local preference.

Sub FileSave()
Dim oVars As Variables
Dim oField As Field
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
oVars("varSaveDate").Value = Format(Date, "dd/MM/yyyy")
For Each oField In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If oField.Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
        oField.Update
    End If
Next oField
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Save
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
End Sub

and

Sub FileSaveAs()
Dim oVars As Variables
Dim oField As Field
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
oVars("varSaveDate").Value = Format(Date, "dd/MM/yyyy")
For Each oField In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If oField.Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
        oField.Update
    End If
Next oField
On Error Resume Next
Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
End Sub

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Ok, this may be simple... but I haven't figured it out yet.  I only want
> the
> date/time field in my footer to update if a change to the document has
> been
> made. I don't want it to change when the document opens.  I don't want it
> change when it's printed.   I don't need the createdate field... that
> doesn't
> work... so.. is there anything I can do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kim

Graham

filter by date and action

Creating a word document
I have a text file that has tab delimited rows of fields. I would like to input the file into a C++ program and write out a word document with some of the fields bolded. I have develop a program to read input text file and now would like to write out the Word formatted .doc file. Is there a control that I can use to get the Word formatted output? Is there a better way to go about this? I feel like I am reinventing the wheel. I basically need a "xls" to "doc" converter program that allows me to format the various fields the way I want. Thanks, Michael Fox Have you...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

Enable fields based on drop down choice
Background: we give evaluations on a number of positions, each has 2 stages. Those evaluations cover 28 different areas, but the areas tested vary by position and stage. In my data-entry form, there is a combo-box for position, a combo-box for stage, and a text box (for a 1-5) rating for each area. What I want to do is disable the fields for areas that are unnecessary when the user selects the position and stage (in 2 separate fields). ...

Calculated Fields 04-18-07
We're helping someone with a relatively basic requirement for CRM, but they've thrown two awkward ones into the mix. The first of which is a desire to use some custom fields on an entity which are then automatically totalled. e.g. when they do a quote each item on the quote (free entry) has a custom field for the cost to the organisation of providing the service. On the main quote screen/report they need these to be totalled, in the same way that the built-in sell-price fields are. Is this possible without reaching for Visual Studio? I've had a look through a pile of...

strange date format problem

document user storage limit settings
Is there a way (util, vbs, etc) to document storage limit settings for individual users without having to manually go through AD? Once the documentation is done, is there a way to reset a group (OU or security group) to default storage limit settings? Background: We've been on Exch 5.5 for years and have just migrated to Exch 2003 Ent. Many of the 400+ users have individual storage limits but I would like to use the store limits are the primary limiter. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, -- David MCSE 4, Network +, A+ "DavidTN" <DavidTN@discussion...

How to sort by name then date?

Migration: DMF Guide Documentation: ActivityTypeCode not defined
Folks, Values for Activity Type Code are not defined in the Guide, on the Spreadsheet (as ActivityTypeCode), in MSDN or in this forum. However, its integer value is required for Activity records in CDF. Is it correct to assume that the valid values of ActivityTypeCode in CDF are those listed for Activity subtypes in Appendix D: 134, 136, 137, 138, 141 and 142? Even though those are listed for MS CRM, not CDF? It is essential that we get this right, since migrating Activities is key to migrating the business intelligence resident now in ACT Note/History. Further, we wish to use our ...

Downloading windows updates
I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proceed to enable me to download windows updates. Whenever I go to the windows update page again, it asks me to download Active X Control by clicking on the information bar, but there is no longer an information bar. I also do not get an error message. How do I download the latest windows update now? golucky8 wrote: > I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to > download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proc...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Can't 'quick look' Powerpoint documents in Leopard

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

Refering to fields on master from from subform
I have a text box on a subform, that I am using an IIf statement in, so that if the field ([IUSA]) on the parent form Is Null, returns "No data for this record", else returns "IUSA Data" as a caption. The code: =IIf([Form].[ProspectForm].[IUSA] Is Null,"RefUSA record not connected","RefUSA Data") Am I referring to the field on the parent form (ProspectForm) incorrectly, because it isn't working? It returns #Name? thanks in advance! magmike Where you have form, it should be forms: =IIf([Forms].[ProspectForm].[IUSA] Is Null,"RefUSA record no...

Price per Unit in Opportunity Products field??
In CRM, when entering products for a given opportunity, is there a way to make the Price Per Unit field a user input field instead of getting it from a price list? When you create an opportunity you have to select a price list. When you add products, you have to select the product from a price list and it populates the Price Per Unit field on the Opportunity Product form. I need to have this field be a user input or overridden field. I know you can do this at the opportunity level � overwrite the price. I need to do this at the Opportunity Product level and still have it rolled up / c...

updating a reg_binary registry value
I can update a string in the registry. But Im in a situation where I have to take a string, convert it to a byte[], and update a reg_binary in the registry, and so far my research and testing have been pretty frustrating. What is the simplest/most effect way to convert the string to a byte, and can I just use the SetValue to make the update, like I do with the string registry data type? Any help would be appreciated!. ...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

show all fields in the Outlook 2007 task form
I see that a contact has "Show All Fields". Where is this option for tasks? I'd like to see some of these things in the task form, not just the table view. It's in the same place, only the standard task form hides that page. You'd need to design a custom task form that has that page visible. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "jay.meerdink@gmail.com" wrote: > I see that a contact has "Show All Fields"....