Can I get menus in 2007

Is there any way to get a menu bar w/ word 2007?
I like 2007 but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
fight to get the function I need.

thanks

john
0
John

Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/ word 2007?
> I like 2007 but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
> fight to get the function I need.
>
> thanks
>
> john

0
Doug
4/25/2010 9:09:57 PM
I love the QAT! My favorite tools are always one click away.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/ word 2007?
>> I like 2007 but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
>> fight to get the function I need.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> john

0
JoAnn
4/25/2010 9:25:05 PM
On 4/25/2010 5:09 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
> Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.

thanks, but it's not as convenient.

oh well
0
John
4/25/2010 9:47:04 PM
Not as convenient? How can something that is at the top of your app no
matter what you are doing not be convenient?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

> On 4/25/2010 5:09 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
>> Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.
>>
> thanks, but it's not as convenient.
>
> oh well

0
JoAnn
4/25/2010 9:55:00 PM
See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

or Google for Classic Menus in Office 2007 and you will get links to a
number of third party add-ins.

Given a bit more time, like most of us who hated the Ribbon at first, you
will come to accept it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 4/25/2010 5:09 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
>> Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.
>>
> thanks, but it's not as convenient.
>
> oh well

0
Doug
4/25/2010 11:08:02 PM
"John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/ word 2007?
> I like 2007 but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
> fight to get the function I need.

AFAIWA the tabs contain ALL the Word functions. What can't you find?

0
Gordon
4/26/2010 8:04:04 AM
Actually, there are many commands not available in the ribbon. In the
Customize section of the Word Options dialog box, you'll find a separate
category for "Commands Not in the Ribbon."

To be fair, the same was true for the main menus of previous versions: they
didn't have room for all of Word's commands either.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon" <gordon.burgessparker@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/ word 2007?
>> I like 2007 but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
>> fight to get the function I need.
>
> AFAIWA the tabs contain ALL the Word functions. What can't you find?

0
Stefan
4/26/2010 8:16:05 AM
"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually, there are many commands not available in the ribbon. In the
> Customize section of the Word Options dialog box, you'll find a separate
> category for "Commands Not in the Ribbon."
>
> To be fair, the same was true for the main menus of previous versions:
> they didn't have room for all of Word's commands either.

Nothing new there then!

0
Gordon
4/26/2010 8:28:54 AM
Part of the reason put forward in the introduction of the Ribbon was to
expose commands to users. But there are far too many commands for them all
to be 'exposed' and depending on the users, different commands have a
different level of importance.

Supposedly, the commands 'exposed' on the Ribbon are those commands that the
test labs found that users used the most. If this is really true, it's a sad
testament. I would understand if these were just exposed in 'LEARNER' mode,
but anyone with more than a year or two's experience should be using the
context sensitive (right-click) menus and their own toolbars.

There are still so many useful commands hidden in depths of Word. I remember
once struggling to create a macro to add ParaPageBreakBefore, shortly after
I found that command was already listed deep in the bowels of 'All Commands'
in Word 2000. The last time I really looked at the commands list was in Word
2003, when I think I printed out 4 pages of 'All Commands', many of which I
still don't know their function! But how many users know about those really
useful little commands such as 'Go to TOC', the almost lost 'NEW' dialog,
CloseAll (which used to be a simple Shift+Close), TableUpdateAutoFormat
(that actually clears all formatting from a table) and the myriad of other
commands to make editing fast and easy before the need to resort to macros.

They are all still hidden away, sometimes labelled with incomprehensible
jargon

Terry Farrell

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually, there are many commands not available in the ribbon. In the
> Customize section of the Word Options dialog box, you'll find a separate
> category for "Commands Not in the Ribbon."
>
> To be fair, the same was true for the main menus of previous versions:
> they didn't have room for all of Word's commands either.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP

0
Terry
4/26/2010 9:25:47 AM
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:55:00 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
<jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote:

>Not as convenient? How can something that is at the top of your app no
>matter what you are doing not be convenient?

I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
"literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
or shouldn't want what they just asked for.
0
Lurfys
4/26/2010 12:39:54 PM
Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a cheap pot
shot at another contributor?  I do.

The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm

Lurfys Maw wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:55:00 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
> <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not as convenient? How can something that is at the top of your app
>> no matter what you are doing not be convenient?
>
> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
> "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
> or shouldn't want what they just asked for.

0
Greg
4/26/2010 5:07:07 PM
In article <Oja0iLW5KHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
   Greg Maxey <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
> Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
> decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a cheap
> pot shot at another contributor?  I do.

> The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm

OTOH. if you transpose the "L" and the "M" in the name "Lurfys Maw" you
get something rather more interesting.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
<gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:

>Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
>decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a cheap pot
>shot at another contributor?  I do.

Cheap pot shot? So I take it you found JoAnn's "contribution" helpful,
right?

>The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
>http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm

See, now that's helpful. It's also what the OP asked for. He didn't
ask for a critique on how he likes to work. If JoAnn likes the QAT,
fine. So do I, actually. But the OP said it doesn't meet his needs. He
wants the classic menus. Why belittle his request?

If that were the only case, I wouldn't have said anything. But it
happens all the time here.

>Lurfys Maw wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:55:00 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
>> <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Not as convenient? How can something that is at the top of your app
>>> no matter what you are doing not be convenient?
>>
>> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
>> "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
>> or shouldn't want what they just asked for.

0
Lurfys
4/26/2010 6:36:53 PM
I confess that never occurred to me. Clever.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Dave Symes" <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <Oja0iLW5KHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>   Greg Maxey <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
>> Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
>> decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a cheap
>> pot shot at another contributor?  I do.
>
>> The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
>> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm
>

> OTOH. if you transpose the "L" and the "M" in the name "Lurfys Maw" you
> get something rather more interesting.
>
> Dave
>
> --
>
> Dave Triffid

0
Suzanne
4/26/2010 6:51:08 PM
Are you inquiring on behalf of the clown or is this he?

Lurfys Maw wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:07:07 -0400, "Greg Maxey"
> <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
>
>> Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
>> decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a
>> cheap pot shot at another contributor?  I do.
>
> Cheap pot shot? So I take it you found JoAnn's "contribution" helpful,
> right?
>
>> The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
>> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm
>
> See, now that's helpful. It's also what the OP asked for. He didn't
> ask for a critique on how he likes to work. If JoAnn likes the QAT,
> fine. So do I, actually. But the OP said it doesn't meet his needs. He
> wants the classic menus. Why belittle his request?
>
> If that were the only case, I wouldn't have said anything. But it
> happens all the time here.
>
>> Lurfys Maw wrote:

>>> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of
>>> the "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't
>>> need or shouldn't want what they just asked for.

0
Greg
4/26/2010 6:56:37 PM
Type Lurfys Maw into Google and see the results. Obviously a troll.

Terry

"Greg Maxey" <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in message
> Are you inquiring on behalf of the clown or is this he?

0
Terry
4/27/2010 8:40:46 AM
It was not to belittle. It was to further explore what his issues were.
Perhaps by giving us more information, we could have provided him with some
sort of resolution.

I didn't realize that I was supposed to allow you to review my responses
before hitting Send.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Lurfys Maw" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:07:07 -0400, "Greg Maxey"
> <gmaxey@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
>
>>Don't you also just love it when someone posting under a clown's name
>>decides to chime in from time to time with nothing to offer but a cheap
>>pot
>>shot at another contributor?  I do.
>
> Cheap pot shot? So I take it you found JoAnn's "contribution" helpful,
> right?
>
>>The OP can downloaed the ClassicUI template here:
>>http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm
>
> See, now that's helpful. It's also what the OP asked for. He didn't
> ask for a critique on how he likes to work. If JoAnn likes the QAT,
> fine. So do I, actually. But the OP said it doesn't meet his needs. He
> wants the classic menus. Why belittle his request?
>
> If that were the only case, I wouldn't have said anything. But it
> happens all the time here.
>
>>Lurfys Maw wrote:

>>> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
>>> "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
>>> or shouldn't want what they just asked for.

0
JoAnn
4/27/2010 1:34:30 PM
"Lurfys Maw" <invalid@invalid.invalid>

> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
> "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
> or shouldn't want what they just asked for.
Then you must be a happy guy.

0
Frank
4/27/2010 7:38:12 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:38:12 -0400, "Frank Drew Leyda"
<mymail@nothere.com> wrote:

>"Lurfys Maw" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
>
>> I just love it when someone asks a reasonable question and one of the
>> "literati", often one of the "MVPs", tells them that they don't need
>> or shouldn't want what they just asked for.
>Then you must be a happy guy.

Indeed
0
Lurfys
4/27/2010 10:06:05 PM
FWIW: To me, it is just one of the best features in Excel or Word. I use
those 2 programs the most.
I haven't gotten around to PowerPoint.
I like moving the quick access toolbar below the ribbon and being able to
move the icons to where I want them on the toolbar.
Yes, it is convenient.
Just a thought!!!!

"John Coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 4/25/2010 5:09 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
>> Add what you want to the Quick Access Toolbar.
>>
> thanks, but it's not as convenient.
>
> oh well

0
Charles
4/30/2010 9:57:21 AM
On Apr 25, 5:53=A0pm, John Coltrane <tendenga...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/word2007?
> I like2007but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
> fight to get the function I need.

I didn't realise that you couldn't add custom menu and options to a
Word 2007 template. I'm astounded you can't.

My problem it have I've moved from Word 2003 to 2007. In my template,
I originally created custom menus for use in Word 2003. In 2007, there
are still there, albeit now on the Custom Toolbars section of the the
Add-Ins ribbon. Is there any way to add/modify/delete these options?

P.

0
Paul
5/20/2010 11:10:36 AM
You cannot modify Word 2003 format toolbars used in Word 2007 from within
Word 2007. You would need to do so from Word 2003. However, it is not that
difficult to create your own ribbon entries -
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm and you can add right click
menu options
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Word2007_SC_Menu_Programatically.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Paul Moloney" <pmoloney@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 25, 5:53 pm, John Coltrane <tendenga...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to get a menu bar w/word2007?
> I like2007but the choices in the tabs are not sufficient and I have to
> fight to get the function I need.

I didn't realise that you couldn't add custom menu and options to a
Word 2007 template. I'm astounded you can't.

My problem it have I've moved from Word 2003 to 2007. In my template,
I originally created custom menus for use in Word 2003. In 2007, there
are still there, albeit now on the Custom Toolbars section of the the
Add-Ins ribbon. Is there any way to add/modify/delete these options?

P.

0
Graham

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can Not Reply To Emails

Upgrade to Exchange 2007
We are planning on moving to Exchange 2007 in the next few months. We have a new server for this, and it will only be a one exchange server enviroment. We want the new server to have the same computer name as the current Exchange server, for naming purpose we will call it MAIL on the forum. I have read about problems renaming an exchange server. I wanted to know if this has been made easier for 2007, and what the best practice for doing this is. We want the smoothest transition possible to the new server, eagerly waiting replies. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:36:00 -0800, Synapse120 <...

Can't delete email #2

CListCtrl
Hi, Does anybody know an easy of removing the black vertical tracking line that appears while resizing columns? I've been trying to prevent it through HDN_ENDTRACK / HDN_TRACK, but I wasn't successfull. Is there a specific flag that I can set to disable it instead? Thanks in advance for your time, Best regards, -Onur I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, but here's my suggestion: Override the CListrCtrl and CHeaderCtrl class, and have your listview control use your derived header control. In the header control class, handle the WM_SETCURSOR message and load a d...

How can I rename a database table?

What is the quickest way to get an xml based dataset to add entries to SQL Server?
Because there is no 'datareader' involved, what is the most efficient way to get an XML based dataset to be added to an SQL server dataset? I would hate to have to create a new SQL connection and iterate through making "executenonquery" for each row in the dataset. That seems horribly in-efficient. I know of no other way to get an xml based dataset to push data to the database though. Any pointers? Thanks for any pointers, Peter Robbins Freelance Programmer C#/PHP "MurdockSE" <murdock@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:1153922058.675709.165630@h48g2000cwc.go...

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...

Can you....
Can you create a text box that pops up when you try to exit excel? would like a box that reminds people to fill out parts of a form whe they try to exit the workbook. Any ideas would be great -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This code goes in the ThisWorkbook section of the VB Editor. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Dim iResponse As Long iResponse = MsgBox("Did you enter everything? Click No to return an finish.", vbYesNo) If iResponse = 7 Then Cancel = True End Sub If the user clicks No, the application will not close. You coul modify...

Can you freeze columns in a list box?
I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a list box? I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the right. "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AAE32B2-E08F-4F7F-9C5E-8B9CD2F806AE@microsoft.com... >I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on > the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the sa...