Can I "branch" a template for a new doc type?

I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one
subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the
template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of scary
hidden dependencies can I expect?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

christophercbrewster

There should be no problem with this.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote in message
> I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one
> subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the
> template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of
> scary
> hidden dependencies can I expect?
>
> --
> Christopher Brewster
> Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Suzanne
4/21/2010 3:56:39 PM
Yes, you can do exactly that. The only "scary hidden dependency" or
anything like that is to make sure the "Automatically update styles"
box in the Templates & Add-Ins dialog is unchecked except when you
specifically want to update the document's styles to use different
definitions from the newly attached template.

For a good discussion of this, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/attachtemplate/index.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templaterelations/index.html

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:43:34 GMT, "christophercbrewster via
OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote:

>I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one
>subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the
>template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of scary
>hidden dependencies can I expect?
0
Jay

internal emails between branches
Hello, I have Exchange Server 2003, Windows Swerver 2003. I have a two branches company and i have exchange server installed in each branch with the same organization name and a central Active Directory between the two branches. How to step by step, configure the exchage so that when sending emails from branch A to branch B or visa versa to be considered as internal email and not internet email? Any help would be highly appreciated. >a central Active Directory between the two branches Do you have a single AD Forest? In that case, both the Exchange servers should be in the same Exchang...

SBS 2003 and a Branch office
Hi, Customer with SBS at central site has got a new office location. I plan to put in a VPN tunnel between the two sites and add another server 2003/8 box at the remote location making it a member server - DC ?. There is a single share at the SBS site that needs to be at the remote location so was planning to use DFS for this. Is this a viable option, are there any gotchas ? Thanks Simon SBS 2003 (windows 2003 in general) does not support DFS-R, which is what you'd usually use to implement this type of topology. I'd look at making those files available another way. ...

Branch Diagram??
I am trying to create a tree or roots or branch type diagram in access. What I am tring to do, I have a list of customers and whom they were recommended by. I want to create a branch list that shows who was recommend by who, so I can follow each customer back to the source. Thanks in advance. On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:04:14 -0500, "Joe Medford" <joem83@msn.com> wrote: That's what Treeview controls are for. There is a free one from Microsoft under ActiveX Controls. -Tom. >I am trying to create a tree or roots or branch type diagram in access. >What I am tring...

Version 2002 - Org Chart - Creating using wizard with xls Data Source
Hi Guys, I'm creating an org chart using xls spreadsheet as the data source. Is there a way to sort the branches alphabetically automatically? Cheers Unfortunately, the Org Chart solution generates the diagram using a random order. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "u828576" <bitofpacedropshoulder@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OxaL%23dwvHHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi Guys, > > I'm creating an org chart using xls spreadsheet as...

Record Source Conditional Branching -
Is it possible to do a conditional branching within a record source using a query as the source. I have 2 queries - 1 without any condition ( query1) 1 with a filter on selected records ( query2). I was typing the following in the Record Source- iif(var=0,query,query2) This obviously generated an error - don't know if i have the syntax wrong or - just grasping for straws. Jasmine, You could use code like this, perhaps on the Open event of the form: If var Thern Me.RecordSource = "Query2" Else Me.RecordSource = "Query1" End If -...

How do you synchronize database from different branches
I don't know if this is the right place to ask question regarding database synchronization. I have a program made in Visual Basic .NET. I have a client that have more than 2 branches that in every week each database from other branches needs to be updated into the server and then back again to other branches. Can you guys tell me how do you do this? I am thinking about exporting all records from the database (branch) that is not yet exported to the server and copy the database again from the server back to other branch's database. But this could take a lot of time if ...

Sync Framework with multiple branch
I know how sync framework works but I'm wondering how can I use it if I have multiple branches. Each of the branch must have its own database for offline use. There is no problem here. But how about when, say, I sold an item? The qty must be deducted right away from the main database. Since sync framework as what I understand will only synchronize the data and will not do calculation as what we are doing like clicking a button to save a record and deduct an item (qty) from an inventory table. Any ideas is highly appreciated. Thanks ...

Form assistant Branch view
Hello, Is it possible when viewing the form assistant to show the branch aswell as the account/contact? ...

SBS 2003 and Branch Office
Hello to all, Since we have started with SBS a few years ago, we never really had the need, nor the opportunity to set up a remote office with the functionality as follows. So, I would be very grateful if I can get detail the steps needed to accomplish the following: Head Office has: SBS 2003 Premium R2, ISA Installed, 2 NICs and about 25 client PCs, Fixed IP Remote Office has: Server 2003 64bit R2 1 NIC and 32 client PCs, Dynamic IP (Using Dynamic DNS Services) We need: Make server at remote office a DC and remote office users able to see and use shares at head office ...

how to close out and reopen a small branch office
We are about to close a small branch office (connected by VPN). It has an NT4 trusted domain (we are win2003 AD) and is a remote exchange site (they are ex5.5) in our exchange organization (email to the users goes through our exchange2000 org). This office will remain open as an independent company. We will no longer be affiliated. Can anyone help me to understand what things I will need to do to: (1)remove the office/domain ( and users ) from our AD domain (2)remove the exchange site ( and email accounts) from our org (3)Set them up as an independent office with domain and exchange org? (t...

Can I "branch" a template for a new doc type?
I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of scary hidden dependencies can I expect? -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via http://www.officekb.com There should be no problem with this. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote in...

2008 branch with sbs2003 office
I will be installing a 2008 Server into a Branch where the main office has a SBS2003 Standard edition server R2. I have already setup the IPSec VPN Tunnel between branch and office and a PC at the Branch can now ping the office network PC's due to the SBSserver being installed as a single network card install.... and this now works absolutely fine....so all I need to do now I believe is to add the 2008 server while at the office to the SBS2003 network as a Secondary domain controller using the ADPREP tool and then take it off site to the Branch....This all sounds too easy......

Branch Field in outlook contacts
Hey, Can anyone tell me whether its possible to add the branch field to outllook contacts? I have managed to add in 'Parent Account' which works great, but the branch would be even better. Thanks Ian Hi Ian, Yes, it is possible. Frank has given a detailed description on how this can be done. Please refer to http://www.workopia.com/howto/DisplayParentAccountOutlookContactForm.htm HTH, Niths "Ian Watson" wrote: > Hey, > > Can anyone tell me whether its possible to add the branch field to outllook > contacts? > > I have managed to add in 'P...

Branches
How does great plains handle different branches? ( branch offices ) We have accounting handled at main office, but we want to track sales and revenue and expenses seperately with our branch offices - our current software allows the setting up of branch codes which are entered at time of transaction entry , seperate from gl account codes entered .. once the transaction is posted , GL reporting can be limited to a selected branch or combined to include several or all branches . Can Great plains do something like this or do the branches have to be setup as part of the GL number ( a segment...

CRM 4.0 from branch office S2S VPN
I do have some prob. to connect users from a remote site to the CRM server. We have a S2S VPN that let the users connect correctly to the Exchange server and the Companyweb,(SBS 2003) without no problems, i can even ping the CRMSERVER, with name or ip addresse, and get reply. When i try to connect to the http://crmserver:5555 website I'm unable to connect. If i connect to the crmserver by ip adress, its OK. (promt for user/password) and user can access CRM. Why? When i try yo connect with Outlook CRM ADDIN, it fail, Unable to connect to the remote server... CRM server is W2k3, works...

How can I contact branch Office in Tokyo, Japan?
I need to take MS Office exam in Tokyo (english), What can I do ? ...

How do I branch to another sheet in the same file?
I have a file with multiple sheets. Depending on who uses the file, I want them to be able to click on a button (or other object) and have it display one of the other sheets. It seems like this should be simple but can't quite figure it out. I really don't want ot get involved with writing macros. Thank you for any help! 1. Please make use of a Hyperlink. Regards. Here's an example. Assume your sheets are all numbered consecutively, i.e. Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4 etc, then in Sheet1 cell A1 you enter a number. In B2 enter this formula: =HYPERLINK("#Sheet"&a...

Code in a macro to branch to another macro?
I wonder if someone can help me with a little code for inclusion in a macro? It needs to do the following: “If cell in column D on this row = "Sunday", perform Macro “Sunday”, otherwise execute macro “Weekday”” Background info: I run an accounting system on a series of worksheets. The Cash Journal dynamically applies the week of the year and day of the week (based on the first date in the financial year) and conditionally formats rows accordingly to highlight weekends. Macros post the daily cashup sheet to the Cash Journal and General journal. I am combining the...

Exchange availability at branch offices
Hi, It's a fundamental question regarding Exchange availability at branch offices. We have a single Win2k3 domain across main office and one branch office via WAN. Mangement wants to make sure branch office has access to email "even in the case Exchange goes down in main office." I don't know if there's a better solution than "making sure Exch NEVER goes down in main office" if we ignore WAN and internet issues here. Local vendor suggests to set up a sub domain and put an Exchange server at local branch. I think it's a BAD idea. What will you do? T...

Favorites sub-branch box is invisible
I am using IE 7 and when I open my Favorites they appear below but when I put the cursor onto a specific favorite to see the list of addresses in the favorite, the tab opens to the right but is invisible. They are there but not able to be read....

How do I get entire branch of descendants using IsDescendantOf
Hi, I'm trying to get ALL descendants of a given node in my hierarchy tree for product categories. By all descendants I mean not just direct descendants but the entire branch. When I use select * from ProductCategories where CategoryHierarchyID.IsDescendantOf(@ParentHierarchyID) = 1 I only get direct descendants. I also get the parent itself which I don't want. How do I enter a particular product category's hierarchyid and get the entire branch underneath -- EXCLUDING the parent category itself. My ProductCategories table script is below. -- Thanks, S...

Plot trend of inventory values for mulitple branches
I need to plot the trend of core inventory values for 87 branches over time, but haven't enough experience with Excel's charting feature to do this correctly. I am using MS Excel 2003 SP3. Can someone explain the best way to begin. I have compiled the data and it is ready for graphing. I have tried to use the feature, but I do not know how to get all the data into the graph because of the three types of data - time range, inventory values, individual branches. I need all three types of data included for comparison. ...

how i can add/delete any sub branch at treeview at run time
hi Can anyone tell ,how we can add/delete any sub branch at run time. Arbind ...

Can PP branch from one slide to another section of slides? How?
I want to create a lesson with sub-sections or a menu with selections that take the user to the selected information and then back to the menu. Can this be done? How? PowerPoint 2007 Jim, in answer to your question, "Can PP branch from one slide to another section of slides? How?" - a Custom Show may help you out here. Check out:- Slide Show / Start Slide Show group / click on the drop down arrow to the right of the words Custom Slide Show / Custom Shows . . . / New . . . If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Jim" wrote: ...

importing leads, branches defined but won't show in the conversion table
Hi all, I'm trying to import loads of leads but am having some difficulty getting all the information in CRM 1.2 that I want. We wish to import a branch discription ("industrycode" ? / we use the Dutch version) but if I add values to this record they don't show up when I use the lead-import wizard. I can only select the original values that where there from the get go. Anyone any Ideas?? rgds Patrick you need to publish your changes through deployment manager and then do an IISRESET to restart the web server service "Haas" <p.haasewinkel@ecostar.nl> w...