Working with option buttons in Word 2002

So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a series of
radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions.  However, we are
struggling to make the option buttons work through the "Web Tools" toolbar.
We can create the list we want to create, but can't save the file so it can
be e-mailed and utilized in the correct capacity.  Can someone please walk me
through the steps of how to create a form in which there are numerous
questions, almost all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to
choose either a "Yes" or "No" response, then protect it so it can be saved,
e-mailed and opened and filled out.  Thanks!

What you need to do is create a protected form utilising the tools from the
forms toolbar.

I would suggest that you do not use radio buttons. You should use instead
check box form fields. These can be made to work like radio buttons, but
require macros to do so. You are therefore going to have the issue of how to
ensure that users run the macros. This is not something that you can force.

To get around this, I would use dropdown form fields to collect the choices.
These do not require macros and one field provides the yes/no result. It
would be easy enough to insert a raft of dropdown form fields and set the
values to No or Yes.

To simplify preparation, the following macro will set *ALL*  the dropdown
form fields in a form to have the value choice of No or Yes.

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/ExtractDataFromForms.htm useful when the
forms are returned completed.

Sub DropdownToYesOrNo()
Dim oFld As FormFields
Dim oDD As DropDown
Dim bProtected As Boolean
Dim i As Long
bProtected = False
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect _
        Password:=""
    bProtected = True
End If
Set oFld = ActiveDocument.FormFields
For i = 1 To oFld.Count
    If oFld(i).Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
        Set oDD = oFld(i).DropDown
        With oDD.ListEntries
            .Clear
            .Add "No"
            .Add "Yes"
        End With
    End If
Next
If bProtected = True Then
    ActiveDocument.Protect _
    Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, _
    NoReset:=True, _
    Password:=""
End If
End Sub

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Cindy Sue Who wrote:
> So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a
> series of radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions.
> However, we are struggling to make the option buttons work through
> the "Web Tools" toolbar. We can create the list we want to create,
> but can't save the file so it can be e-mailed and utilized in the
> correct capacity.  Can someone please walk me through the steps of
> how to create a form in which there are numerous questions, almost
> all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to choose
> either a "Yes" or "No" response, then protect it so it can be saved,
> e-mailed and opened and filled out.  Thanks!

0
Graham

Accessing bookmarks in Word from Access
I have developed some code in a 'test' database to open a Word document and go through all of the bookmarks to extract data. In the 'test' database it compiles and works fine, but when I have copied the code onto the application where I want to incorporate it I get a compile error of Variable not Defined. The error highlights "FormField" in the line of code below. I have checked the References and everything is the same in both databases - anyone got any ideas of why this would be happening? For Each FormField In myWordDoc.Bookmarks My gu...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

Series button
Hi The Series button is greyed out, that's what I meant. I don't understand why this happens to some sheets that are not protected. How do I solve it? Thank you ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ If the Series button is available as in not "grayed out" how does Excel not allow you to click on it? Do you get a message saying "you can't do this" or your mouse freezes up or?? Gord On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:02:01 -0800, PL <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi >...

Hyperlinks to DB dont work now that DB is converted
We have converted all our Access 97 databases to Access 2000- not without a lot of issues. Most of them have now been researched and resolved, some re-coded, etc. We have one issue that we cannot resolve. We used to have hyperlinks on our Intra-net to several Access Databases. These were essentially "shortcuts" to the databases so that the general population could have easy access. Now that we did our Access conversion, the hyperlinks on our intranet do not work. Clicking on the link gives an option to open the file from its current location or download it to a local loc...

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

step by step set up for outlook 2002- new address
Subject: From: "junne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> Sent: 10/16/2003 9:48:34 PM HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! i have been trying to set up my outlook so i can get hotmail and my other email at seattleschools.org on outlook but it won't work!!!! how/where can i get step-by-step intsructions???? for someone who is not very computer savvy... thanks a million! if the help files aren't enough help, buy a beginner's book. Many schools and ISPs have web pages with step by step instructions and pictures of every screen - if yours doesn't you can sear...

Search does not work for one workbook
I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it. Drives me crazy. What can this be. I see peoples names in there. Kevs OS 10.6.2 INTEL imac Office 2004 Hi Kevs: It could be the file format the workbook is saved in. What extension does the file-name have? The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no extension you could get strange results. Cheers On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net, "forums55@verizon.net"...

How to make the default view the Web Layout in Outlook 2002 New Message window?
Hello How to make the default view the Web Layout in Outlook 2002 New Message window? The Word is used as the e-mail editor. ...

How does hibernate work
I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag to signal the system that it's in hi...

working with temporary working files..
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help ...

Modify Caption of button available in PropertySheet
Hi All I want to modify a caption of a button which is available in PropertySheet (MFC) If anyone can shine a light on this it will be greatful Ravi U�ytkownik "G.Ravindran" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:B8EE2053-237C-461E-98C1-8CC53011A69E@microsoft.com... > I want to modify a caption of a button which is available in PropertySheet (MFC). GetDlgItem(IDOK)->SetWindowText(""); GetDlgItem(IDCANCEL)->SetWindowText(""); Marian Hello, If you want change the caption in the CPropertyPage, CSheet my(" PropS...

Non-working work week
Is there any way to make an entire week a non-working work week? As in, a task is going to take 25 days, but the 4th of July occurs in the middle and you want to show that during that week (or 2), no work will occur. Besides creating a new task or extending the task during. Thanks in advance! Hi RVE, Open up the calendar, "Tools", 'Change working time..', then simply select the days you want as non working. Make sure that the calendar you change is the Project calendar and is the basis for all other calendars such as individual resource calendars. Hope thi...

Graphing work and remaining work over time
I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to N. The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to customize a visual report that will do what I want. Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edit...

GP8 Manufacturing
Hello Everybody. Our Shop works 5 days a week (closed weekends). We have a WC that works 6 days a week (down Sundays only). We have setup both the Shop and WC Calendars to reflect this reality. We would expect that, when scheduling an MO that routes thru this WC, the WC calendar will override the Shop Calendar? However, our tests are not showing this to be true - We use a Backwards Infinite Scheduling Method and it always skips the weekend when calculating the start day of an MO regardless of the WC. Does anyone have any experience working with the WC Calendars? Please share your wis...

Exporting mailing list to MS Word using Mail Merge
I am having trouble using the Mail Merge fuction on MS Word 2003. I cannot import list from saved .xls file in Excell 2003. I have full customer information fileds including name, address, and city/state fields but cannot import these fields to Word to create mailing labels.Need help! Thank You Each entry in the excel file needs to be on one row. Example: A2 = lastname1, B2 = firstname1, C2 = Address1, D2 = state1 ... A3 = lastname 2, B3 = firstname2 etc etc Make sure there is no other information on that sheet (except possibly column headers) Then in Word, using the mail me...

outlook2003 send button does not work
send button does not work i have tryed a new email acc. and reinstalling with no luck. now i am useing express and then export to outlook ...

Drag and Drop does not work
Hi all. This is funny: When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" to "Backup" I get an error message. When I right click and select "move to folder"- it does work. ANY CLUES? TIA Guy Not a single one. No Outlook version = no clues. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Guy Cohen asked: | Hi all. | | This is funny: | When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" ...

Internet Explorer E-mail links are no longer working in Outlook?
Hi, As soon as I click an e-mail link in Internet Explorer, another Outlook pops up. It used to just open a fresh new e-mail screen with the persons address already in the "TO:" line ? I can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks, Rich ...

SunTrust Auto-Download Not Working after Banking Upgrade
I have been automatically downloading transactions from SunTrust since I installed MS$ 2007 Deluxe last year. I have done this without having to signup (for a fee of 5.95/month) with SunTrust for MS$ support. AFter the MS Banking Upgrade, I had to re-establish my SunTrust account with MS$. But, now I'm told (by MS$) that I don't have a SunTrust on-line account. Any thoughts? Anyone? I have been having issue as well with Suntrust, even if you get it to work you will find that its basically useless now downloading and duplicating pending transactions repeatedly, this is where I am ...

Spell check not working.

Custom buttons
My custom buttons suddenly disappeared.Although my macroses are still in personal.xls Could someone help me to bring them back? Svilen How were the custom buttons created? Manual customizations are saved in a file named *.XLB XL2000 and 2002 *.xlb file will be in Documents and Settings\yourname\application data\microsoft\Excel and be Excel9.xlb or Excel10.xlb Perhaps this file is going astray? If on a server, this can happen. Search for *.xlb and see what you come up with. When you get your customization done, make a backup copy of the *.xlb file. One more fact about *.xlb files. ...

Working with option buttons in Word 2002
So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a series of radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions. However, we are struggling to make the option buttons work through the "Web Tools" toolbar. We can create the list we want to create, but can't save the file so it can be e-mailed and utilized in the correct capacity. Can someone please walk me through the steps of how to create a form in which there are numerous questions, almost all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to choose either a &q...

Outlook 2002 pst file on network share problem
Hi! I have a small LAN with a LINUX serevr and SAMBA acting as fileserver. die clients have WINDOWS XP Pro SP2 and Office XP SP3 installed. the Outlook PST files are located on the LINUX-server, the access is made via a mapped network drive using SAMBA. when I start Outlook right after logging in to a client-.machine, Outlook displays an error.message, telling me that the PST file isnt available. afterwards it opens a file-open-dialog which of course contains the necessary PST file on the server-share and after clicking "open" everything works fine. the whole problem just occurs a...

Hiding a Button
I am learning MFC.I am creating a application where in main application(main dialog box) there are two buttons and pressing those two you will get same another dialog box......only difference is one button in 2nd dialog box wont be displayed in one of those two cases.....that means if i m pressing button1 and gettng the 2nd dialog box the button will be there and if i m pressing button2 and gettng same dialog box without that button....how can i do that???please give me your valuable suggestion..... could you please send me mail in sriparna.som@sasken.com and sriparna4u@gmail.com.... i am t...

Working with WORKS
We have some spreadsheets in WORKS 4.5 fpr Windows 95. But Excel 2000 won't open them. It says that the version is incompatible. How can that be if it is an older version of WORKS? Using Windows XP. -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.co...