Word Template Integration With AD

Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to do what I'm trying to do. We
use custom templates for MS Word 2003. The templates contain user names so
when creating a letter, we can populate the info (address, etc)
automaticatically once a name is selected. The problem is that we have to
manually edit the Names.doc file everytime we have a new user or name change,
etc. Is there any way to get the info to be pulled directly from Active
Directory so everytime a change is made in AD, it is also made in the
template file?

Thanks in advance for any replies received.

Yes that is possible, with code. We create such templates for our clients.
Try asking this in the VBA/Macro group instead.

Best regards

Malin D
Office consultant/Trainer

"joefox" wrote:

> Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to do what I'm trying to do. We
> use custom templates for MS Word 2003. The templates contain user names so
> when creating a letter, we can populate the info (address, etc)
> automaticatically once a name is selected. The problem is that we have to
> manually edit the Names.doc file everytime we have a new user or name change,
> etc. Is there any way to get the info to be pulled directly from Active
> Directory so everytime a change is made in AD, it is also made in the
> template file?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies received.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new on here. Where is
the VBA group?

"Malin D" wrote:

> Yes that is possible, with code. We create such templates for our clients.
> Try asking this in the VBA/Macro group instead.
>
> Best regards
>
> Malin D
> Office consultant/Trainer
>

> "joefox" wrote:
>
> > Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to do what I'm trying to do. We
> > use custom templates for MS Word 2003. The templates contain user names so
> > when creating a letter, we can populate the info (address, etc)
> > automaticatically once a name is selected. The problem is that we have to
> > manually edit the Names.doc file everytime we have a new user or name change,
> > etc. Is there any way to get the info to be pulled directly from Active
> > Directory so everytime a change is made in AD, it is also made in the
> > template file?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any replies received.
The simplest means of doing this would be to store the addresses etc in an
Outlook contacts list and set that list as an Outlook address book. You can
then call the contacts from that address book in Word using a macro to place
the data - there are examples at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

An alternative would be to populate a table with your names and addresses
and create a macro to read the table and display the information in a
userform and apply the selected data to the document. For the basics, see
Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

I suppose that your current procedure is somewhat similar to this. Whether
it is possible to access ActiveDirectory data directly I cannot say. I have
no knowledge of its use. You could ask in a programming forum.

You appear to have joined this news server via Microsoft's web forum. To
access the vba forum look for the Word programming group.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"joefox" <joefox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to do what I'm trying to do. We
> use custom templates for MS Word 2003. The templates contain user names so
> when creating a letter, we can populate the info (address, etc)
> automaticatically once a name is selected. The problem is that we have to
> manually edit the Names.doc file everytime we have a new user or name
> change,
> etc. Is there any way to get the info to be pulled directly from Active
> Directory so everytime a change is made in AD, it is also made in the
> template file?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies received.

0
Graham

Changing the Normal template
I have Office 2007 on my new Windows 7 OS. When going through Help to learn how to modify the Normal template, the instructions only tell you what to do for Vista and XP OS. How do you modify and save a new Normal.dot template? -- Judy18 First, since you're using Word 2007, it will be Normal.dotm, not Normal.dot. Second, the instructions for Vista should also work for Windows 7. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word 2007 Bible Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "Judy18" <Judy18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Templates Trasnfer In/Out
Can anyone help me with this?? I need to change the Transfer In / Out template so that it calculates the extended amounts and the total amount of the transfer on the printout. Thanks !! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C823AF.DBED2560 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jose, The stock ones do, but only after you press the "Issue" button --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

Is there a way to attach a xslt template to a xsltargumentlist? please help!
in C#, I use the following way to do transform, the I assign my extension object to the xslArg, so in xsl, I can call functions in the extension object. Now, I want functions in the extension object to call template in the xsl, this way I can put some customized code into the template. I think it is reasonable, but I don;t know how to do it, anyone has some idea on this? Thanks. xslt.Transform(xmlDoc, xslArg, textHTML, null); david wrote: > in C#, I use the following way to do transform, the I assign my extension > object to the xslArg, so in xsl, I can call functions in the extens...

HTML TEMPLATES
I really need some help - I know how to create an HTML template to use with outlook - but I don't to use it all the time, only when sending out emails, is there a way to select to use the html template when i want to send certain emails? I can't find this info anywhere. Of course, Outlook Exp makes this really easy, you just select a template from a drop down list when creating a new message - surely there's some way to do the same thing in outlook?? "Tal" <goer2u4@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:44c6625c@news.comindico.com.au... >I really need some ...

If change password of AD Account through which we can login to epm
I have installed epm 2007 in two server in company. and all is going fine . i am using a same AD account in both server . If i will change the password of that account . it will create or raise errors in EPM Servers ? (either in front end or back end server) Hi Sam, The answer is that it probably will. In the Microsoft guidelines they recommend to use an account that doesn't have the password change. However, if you have to use a userid that the password changes then you needto be very careful to make sure that everywhere you used the account in the setup is changed...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

RMS
What are the options these days for integrating RMS and GP? I know there is an add-in that allows Headquarters to interface with GP but I don't know much about it or where to go to look at it. Has anyone used it? -- Doug Langley We use the RMS/GP combo and love the way they merge together. Regarding the interface, I am not sure. We used BMI when we went up on our system, and they did the GP part. -- Jocelyn "DLangley" wrote: > What are the options these days for integrating RMS and GP? > > I know there is an add-in that allows Headquarters to interface ...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Post 5.5 to 03 Migration Displays wrong Administrative Group in AD
Hello I have a unique problem. We migrated 1 Exchange 5.5 server (Exchange site 5.5 1)to Exchange 2000SP3 and 2 Servers running 5.5 (Exchange Sites 2 & 3) to Exchange 2003 Our WIndows server topology is this One root domain, two child domains 1 Exchange 2000 server in 1 Child domain 2 Exchange 2003 Servers in the second Child domai The Exchange migration track we followed was this The First Child Domain performed an in place upgrade from 5.5 to 0 The Second Child domain (2 Exchange 5.5 Servers 2 Sites) performed an upgrade method in which we installed an Exchange 03 Server into Each 5....

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Adding more than one account from same institution.
I have 3 account with Scottrade. one is a investment account second is a IRA for me and and third is a IRA for my wife. but When I try to add automatic download of data I am not able to add multiple accounts for the same bank/broker. appreciate your response. Thanks you Nick In microsoft.public.money, Nick wrote: >I have 3 account with Scottrade. > >one is a investment account >second is a IRA for me and >and third is a IRA for my wife. > >but When I try to add automatic download of data I am not >able to add multiple accounts for the same bank/broker. > >...