Word forces Save As when Saving

I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007
suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts
my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right
name.

This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means that
I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break from
typing.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?

Thanks for all useful input.

Windows XP Pro SP 3
Word/Office 2007
Dell hardware
3gb RAM
55gb free disk space

UPDATE: This has happened multiple times this morning and I'm getting rather
ticked!

"ASinger" wrote:

> I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007
> suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
> document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
> happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
> with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts
> my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
> document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right
> name.
>
> This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
> extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means that
> I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break from
> typing.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
>
> Thanks for all useful input.
>
> Windows XP Pro SP 3
> Word/Office 2007
> Dell hardware
> 3gb RAM
> 55gb free disk space
Are you saving to a network location? The problem most probably concerns the
handling of lock files and if there is a minor disruption in the connection
to the save location the document can be disconnected from its lock file and
the presence of the orphan lock file will prevent you from saving again to
that name. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ASinger" <ASinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> UPDATE: This has happened multiple times this morning and I'm getting
> rather
> ticked!
>
> "ASinger" wrote:
>
>> I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office
>> 2007
>> suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
>> document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
>> happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
>> with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely
>> interrupts
>> my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
>> document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the
>> right
>> name.
>>
>> This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
>> extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means
>> that
>> I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break
>> from
>> typing.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
>>
>> Thanks for all useful input.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP 3
>> Word/Office 2007
>> Dell hardware
>> 3gb RAM
>> 55gb free disk space

0
Graham
4/17/2010 5:50:19 AM
Hi Graham. I am saving to my local disk. I should have said so in my original
post. I considered that the file might be getting locked for some reason to
cause this but have no idea why that would be happening. I am storing the
file on the desktop but I don't think that should make a difference. I can
say that, maybe twice, I have noticed that a Word document temp file (in the
same location as the .docx file) doesn't get deleted when I close the Word
document. I have been able to manually delete that file. That has not
occurred in the case of the particular document with which I'm getting this
problem now though. Any other suggestsion are welcome. I'll check out your
link in a bit to see if there is anything there that might be useful though I
am storing the doc locally. Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Are you saving to a network location? The problem most probably concerns the
> handling of lock files and if there is a minor disruption in the connection
> to the save location the document can be disconnected from its lock file and
> the presence of the orphan lock file will prevent you from saving again to
> that name. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "ASinger" <ASinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > UPDATE: This has happened multiple times this morning and I'm getting
> > rather
> > ticked!
> >
> > "ASinger" wrote:
> >
> >> I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office
> >> 2007
> >> suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
> >> document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
> >> happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
> >> with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely
> >> interrupts
> >> my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
> >> document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the
> >> right
> >> name.
> >>
> >> This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
> >> extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means
> >> that
> >> I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break
> >> from
> >> typing.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks for all useful input.
> >>
> >> Windows XP Pro SP 3
> >> Word/Office 2007
> >> Dell hardware
> >> 3gb RAM
> >> 55gb free disk space
>

> .

One thing I did this morning is to reset the AutoRecover path to a local
drive. It defaulted to My Documents, which in our organization, is
automatically mapped to a network locaiton to easily facilitate backup. Maybe
that file was in accessible at some point. Will see what happens when working
this morning.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Are you saving to a network location? The problem most probably concerns the
> handling of lock files and if there is a minor disruption in the connection
> to the save location the document can be disconnected from its lock file and
> the presence of the orphan lock file will prevent you from saving again to
> that name. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "ASinger" <ASinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > UPDATE: This has happened multiple times this morning and I'm getting
> > rather
> > ticked!
> >
> > "ASinger" wrote:
> >
> >> I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office
> >> 2007
> >> suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
> >> document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
> >> happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
> >> with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely
> >> interrupts
> >> my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
> >> document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the
> >> right
> >> name.
> >>
> >> This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
> >> extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means
> >> that
> >> I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break
> >> from
> >> typing.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks for all useful input.
> >>
> >> Windows XP Pro SP 3
> >> Word/Office 2007
> >> Dell hardware
> >> 3gb RAM
> >> 55gb free disk space
>

> .

After resetting my AutoRecover path to a local drive I have not, so far, had
this happen again. That said, it was never often enough to say now that it is
resolved, but I am hopeful. Just FYI in case anyone else encounters this
issue. April

"ASinger" wrote:

> I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007
> suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word
> document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually
> happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document
> with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts
> my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the
> document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right
> name.
>
> This seems to happen when I've been working in  the same document for an
> extended period of time (e.g., about 2 hours this morning), which means that
> I have saved it many times. I typically save each time I take a break from
> typing.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?
>
> Thanks for all useful input.
>
> Windows XP Pro SP 3
> Word/Office 2007
> Dell hardware
> 3gb RAM
> 55gb free disk space

where is that save data feature for backup?
Hi All, On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for my life I can not remember where it was. :'[ Many thanks, -T ToddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo@invalid.com) writes: > On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data > to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this > on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for > my life I can not remember where it ...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Prevent users to save workbook
Hi, How to avoid users to save the workbook? I tried to protect workbook and protect worksheet, but doesn't work. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot! Terence Terence Place this code in the "ThisWorkbook" module Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Terence" <terence5070@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06b701c36b8d$7961d000$a601280a@phx.gbl... | Hi, | | How to avoid users to save the workbook? I tried to | protect workbook and protect worksheet, bu...

Repost: "Save target as..." option
When I used to use Outlook Express, I could right click on links (to PDFs, pix, etc) in message bodies and select the option "Save target as...". This option doesn't appear to be available for links in emails in Outlook 2003, and I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is a feature of Outlook, or a setting I need to change in the options somewhere. TIA It is a setting in the OS and not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Does Office 2003 Pro Excel have auto-save?
I am trying to set up Auto save in Excel 2003 Pro. I found auto recovery but that is not what I am looking for. I think it may be an add-in. Thanks! ehop, From a previous post by Dave Peterson: If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should work ok. But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave, but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows c...

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

How to force enable "read receipt" for all users?
Hi there, Server side EX2003SP1 on W2K3, client side OL2003SP1 on WXPSP2. Now each user can set their own preference whether to send "read receipt" or not. 1. can I set from server side that all users must send "read receipt" upon requested? 2. if item 1 ok, can I prevent all users to change this settings? Many thanks! Why, on God's green earth, would you want to do this? "Leemutpo" wrote: > Hi there, > > Server side EX2003SP1 on W2K3, client side OL2003SP1 on WXPSP2. > > Now each user can set their own preference whether to send ...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Word conversion
I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste t Excel, all the items are in one cell. Is there a way to paste the item into Excel into different columns? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use Data | Text to Columns | Delimited and choose a space as the delimiter. Just follow the dialogue. Regards Trevor "mrroboto >" <<mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste to > Excel, all the ite...

Numbered outline doesn't save

Use Word 2007 to edit Outlook 2003?
I have Word 2007 from the teacher and student edition, so it did not come with Outlook 2007. I use Outlook 2003 from an earlier package. I would like to use Word as my email editor, but when I go to Outlook's Tools/Options/Mail Format tab the boxes say Word 2003 and are grayed out; there is no option for Word 2007, nor a way to click on Word 2003. Is there a way to use Word as my email editor? Thanks, tfall No. Version must match. It has been ever thus. -- Russ Valentine "tfall" <tfall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58F9CAE-086B-4B7...