Word changing hyperlinks from relative to absolute

Hi, I have a problem with Word 2007. When I insert relative hyperlinks in a
Word document to other files they keep changing from relative to absolute. I
think it happens when I select File|Save As.  I now have a document with
hundreds of hyperlinks in it that will not work when the Word file and its
hyperlinked files are moved into a different folder. With the field codes
showing I have done a find and replace to remove the file path from the
hyperlink, but when I check the hyperlink edit window it still shows the
full path.  Is there any way to change all these hyperlinks back to relative
and stop them changing again. Thanks, Rob

0
Rob

This is a longstanding problem with Word. My experience is that the links
don't update when you save but when you reopen the file. If there's a
solution, I never found it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Rob" <tpsol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a problem with Word 2007. When I insert relative hyperlinks in
> a Word document to other files they keep changing from relative to
> absolute. I think it happens when I select File|Save As.  I now have a
> document with hundreds of hyperlinks in it that will not work when the
> Word file and its hyperlinked files are moved into a different folder.
> With the field codes showing I have done a find and replace to remove the
> file path from the hyperlink, but when I check the hyperlink edit window
> it still shows the full path.  Is there any way to change all these
> hyperlinks back to relative and stop them changing again. Thanks, Rob

0
Suzanne
2/16/2010 1:28:39 PM
Hi Rob,

Word's field links (hyperlink, includetext, includepicture, link, rd) always use absolute paths and that's what you're getting, not
relative paths. Even if you remove the path from the field code, it's still there in the document metacode. What you need for what
you've described is relative paths.

To see how to implement relative paths in Word, check out the solution I've posted at:
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=670027

--
Cheers
macropod

"Rob" <tpsol@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5255E928-0799-4588-8A93-068D5D020D38@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I have a problem with Word 2007. When I insert relative hyperlinks in a Word document to other files they keep changing from
> relative to absolute. I think it happens when I select File|Save As.  I now have a document with hundreds of hyperlinks in it that
> will not work when the Word file and its hyperlinked files are moved into a different folder. With the field codes showing I have
> done a find and replace to remove the file path from the hyperlink, but when I check the hyperlink edit window it still shows the
> full path.  Is there any way to change all these hyperlinks back to relative and stop them changing again. Thanks, Rob

0
macropod
2/16/2010 8:42:48 PM
Hi Suzanne and macropod. Thanks for the info. I have done a bit more
trial and error research myself and have the following findings:
1. The problem always happens on Save As, never on Save or on
reopening a file.
2. Unchecking the "update automatic links at open" has no effect
3. Unchecking "update links on save" inside Word Options | Advanced |
Web options | Files DOES stop the problem.

I can now insert a hyperlink, save as, close, open and the relative
hyperlink is intact. The field code does not contain a file path, nor
does the address in the Edit Hyperlink window.

So this may be part of the answer (at least until someone opens the
file on another computer). However, I am still left with hundreds of
hyperlinks in my document that have a filepath in the address in the
Edit Hyperlink window but not in the field code.  Can anyone suggest a
fast way to remove these filepaths? macropod I'm sorry if that is what
you have already suggested with your link - after reading it I was
unsure.

Many thanks
Rob
0
Rob
2/17/2010 12:13:33 AM
Hi Rob,

If you press Alt-F9 to expose the field codes, you can use a Find/Replace operation to modify the file paths in the hyperlink
fields.

The solution in the link I referred to works by replacing the file path in the field with a filename field, plus some path
delimiters. Again, you could use a Find/Replace operation to replace the file paths in the hyperlink fields with the filename field
& path delimiters. To do this:
1. create a filename field and the path delimiters. To do this:
.. a. press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie '{}')
.. b. type FILENAME \p between the field braces, thus '{FILENAME \p}'
.. c. add the path delimiters, so that you end up with '{FILENAME \p}\\..\\'
2. copy the filepath from a hyperlink field and paste it into the Find expression in the Find/Replace dialogue box, then do a 'Find'
3. cut the filename field and the path delimiters from the document
4. open the Find/Replace dialogue box and type '^c' into the Replace expression in the Find/Replace dialogue box
5. Click 'replace all'.

If you've got hyperlink fields without the file path, you'll need to add the filename field and the path delimiters to those fields.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Rob" <tpsol@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf01c79a-4386-4bb1-9c68-5a35888917a7@b1g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Suzanne and macropod. Thanks for the info. I have done a bit more
> trial and error research myself and have the following findings:
> 1. The problem always happens on Save As, never on Save or on
> reopening a file.
> 2. Unchecking the "update automatic links at open" has no effect
> 3. Unchecking "update links on save" inside Word Options | Advanced |
> Web options | Files DOES stop the problem.
>
> I can now insert a hyperlink, save as, close, open and the relative
> hyperlink is intact. The field code does not contain a file path, nor
> does the address in the Edit Hyperlink window.
>
> So this may be part of the answer (at least until someone opens the
> file on another computer). However, I am still left with hundreds of
> hyperlinks in my document that have a filepath in the address in the
> Edit Hyperlink window but not in the field code.  Can anyone suggest a
> fast way to remove these filepaths? macropod I'm sorry if that is what
> you have already suggested with your link - after reading it I was
> unsure.
>
> Many thanks
> Rob

0
macropod

Changing the Normal template
I have Office 2007 on my new Windows 7 OS. When going through Help to learn how to modify the Normal template, the instructions only tell you what to do for Vista and XP OS. How do you modify and save a new Normal.dot template? -- Judy18 First, since you're using Word 2007, it will be Normal.dotm, not Normal.dot. Second, the instructions for Vista should also work for Windows 7. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word 2007 Bible Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "Judy18" <Judy18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Printing WORD docs from a form

startup just changed
Hi. My copy of Money 99 just started doing something unusual after several years of using it. When it starts, it looks for a disk in drive E (my CD drive). I have to Cancel past this screen. Just an annoyance, but any idea how I can make this stop? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No change. Any tip here would be appreciated.. Thanks. Bruce More.... I should have mentioned that I just upgraded to XP Home about a month ago. Just started this today, however.. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Bowe wrote: >Hi. >My copy of Money 99 just started doing some...

If change password of AD Account through which we can login to epm
I have installed epm 2007 in two server in company. and all is going fine . i am using a same AD account in both server . If i will change the password of that account . it will create or raise errors in EPM Servers ? (either in front end or back end server) Hi Sam, The answer is that it probably will. In the Microsoft guidelines they recommend to use an account that doesn't have the password change. However, if you have to use a userid that the password changes then you needto be very careful to make sure that everywhere you used the account in the setup is changed...

APP for dynamic format change TEST
I want to add dynamic format change function to our UVC camera. I got some code in amcap sample program. I called IAMStreamConfig::SetFormat. But it returned VFW_E_WRONG_STATE. Would you know any sample programs in windows SDK, etc for test of dynamic format change ? Thank you for your help, Regards shinji ...

How do I change default font size for inserting text in ppt 07
Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I want to reset the default to somethng like 24pt. How do I do this? PPT2007 Hi Set a text box the way you want it then right click -> set as default text box. Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "PAH555" <PAH555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:501FF5A2-344F-4298-BF8D-1FD903341235@microsoft.com... > Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I > want > to reset the defa...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Where are my saved word?

dates change when I copy and paste
I have a report that has columns for Day of week and a column for th date(10/15/04) but when I copy and paste to another excel worksheet th date changes from ex: 10/15/04 to 10/13/08. Any ideas why this woul happen. It's a pretty lengthy report and I hate to always have t change each date. Help. : -- Nesi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Nesia's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1534 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26965 Hi both workbooks have different date setting (...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Changing subnet mask only.
I am using the below script to change the subnet mask of some computers, and am using the enablestatic method from the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration class, but I only want to change the subnet mask and leave the IP address the same as it is on the server. Does anyone know how I would setup the parameters on the enablestatic method for changing subnet mask only on the computer, or is there another method of doing this. $NICs = Get-WMIObject Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration ` | where{$_.IPEnabled -eq "TRUE"} Foreach($NIC in $NICs) { $NIC.EnableStatic("...... ...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

Change posting account to fixed allocation account?
Is there a way to change an existing GL posting account into a fixed allocation account? Trying in a test company but can't make it work. I've cleared everyting out of the existing account and manually changed the account type in GL00100 to 3 and then added distribution info to GL00103 but there still seems to be another missing link. Under fixed allocation maintenance the original account still says it is not a fixed allocation account. GP10, SP3. Thanks. You appear to be doing this at the database level. Why? Use the UI so all of the business logic and program lo...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...