Word 2007's Find command no longer able to find Style Separators

Word seems to have unexpectedly changed in its ability to find Style
Separators.

In years past (and versions past), you could insert a Style Separator, then
locate it later using Word's find dialog by searching for text "^p" with font
Hidden.

It is, after all, basically just a paragraph mark, and it's font attribute
is Hidden.  But all of the sudden--not sure if it's just something that
started with Word 2007 SP2--it is no longer found with these parameters.

This came as quite a surprise as several macros I use to find Style
Separators just stopped working. Does anyone have an inside scoop into
changes that may have been made recently to the behavior of the Find dialog
with respect to Style Separator paragraphs? And if so, why the decision to
make this change was made by Microsoft?

Thanks

Are you sure that you were actually using style separators and not Hidden
paragraph marks when this Find worked for you?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"wordyOne" <wordyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word seems to have unexpectedly changed in its ability to find Style
> Separators.
>
> In years past (and versions past), you could insert a Style Separator,
> then
> locate it later using Word's find dialog by searching for text "^p" with
> font
> Hidden.
>
> It is, after all, basically just a paragraph mark, and it's font attribute
> is Hidden.  But all of the sudden--not sure if it's just something that
> started with Word 2007 SP2--it is no longer found with these parameters.
>
> This came as quite a surprise as several macros I use to find Style
> Separators just stopped working. Does anyone have an inside scoop into
> changes that may have been made recently to the behavior of the Find
> dialog
> with respect to Style Separator paragraphs? And if so, why the decision to
> make this change was made by Microsoft?
>
> Thanks

0
Suzanne
12/18/2009 1:39:51 AM
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:17:02 -0800, wordyOne
<wordyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Word seems to have unexpectedly changed in its ability to find Style
>Separators.
>
>In years past (and versions past), you could insert a Style Separator, then
>locate it later using Word's find dialog by searching for text "^p" with font
>Hidden.
>
>It is, after all, basically just a paragraph mark, and it's font attribute
>is Hidden.  But all of the sudden--not sure if it's just something that
>started with Word 2007 SP2--it is no longer found with these parameters.
>
>This came as quite a surprise as several macros I use to find Style
>Separators just stopped working. Does anyone have an inside scoop into
>changes that may have been made recently to the behavior of the Find dialog
>with respect to Style Separator paragraphs? And if so, why the decision to
>make this change was made by Microsoft?
>
>Thanks

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in this regard between Word
2003 and Word 2007. If nonprinting characters (or just hidden text)
are displayed, the search you described will find the style separator
in either version. If nonprinting characters (or just hidden text) are
not displayed, then the search finds nothing.

In VBA code, you can find hidden characters including style separators
by using the .Find member of a Range object instead of that of the
Selection object, and setting the Range object's
..TextRetrievalMode.IncludeHiddenText property to True:

Sub demo1()
    Dim oRg As Range
    Set oRg = Selection.Range
    oRg.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
    oRg.TextRetrievalMode.IncludeHiddenText = True
    With oRg.Find
        .Format = True
        .Font.Hidden = True
        .Text = "^p"
        If .Execute Then
            ActiveWindow.View.ShowHiddenText = True
            oRg.Select
        End If
    End With
End Sub

The Range object is necessary because the Selection object doesn't
have a .TextRetrievalMode member.

Note that the .ShowHiddenText turns on the Hidden Text item in Office
button > Word Options > Display, independently of the "Show all
formatting marks" which is tied to the � button on the ribbon -- but
it will show all hidden text, not just the style separators.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Are you sure that you were actually using style separators and not Hidden
> paragraph marks when this Find worked for you?
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "wordyOne" <wordyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Word seems to have unexpectedly changed in its ability to find Style
> > Separators.
> >
> > In years past (and versions past), you could insert a Style Separator,
> > then
> > locate it later using Word's find dialog by searching for text "^p" with
> > font
> > Hidden.
> >
> > It is, after all, basically just a paragraph mark, and it's font attribute
> > is Hidden.  But all of the sudden--not sure if it's just something that
> > started with Word 2007 SP2--it is no longer found with these parameters.
> >
> > This came as quite a surprise as several macros I use to find Style
> > Separators just stopped working. Does anyone have an inside scoop into
> > changes that may have been made recently to the behavior of the Find
> > dialog
> > with respect to Style Separator paragraphs? And if so, why the decision to
> > make this change was made by Microsoft?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> .

Thanks Jay. I have made sure that display of Hidden text is definitely turned
on when running my macros. Whether via the Find command in VBA or through
Word's UI, the ^p with Hidden checked no longer finds Word's style
separators. I have confirmed that the exact same steps always worked (and
still do) for finding Style Separators in Word 2003.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:17:02 -0800, wordyOne
> <wordyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Word seems to have unexpectedly changed in its ability to find Style
> >Separators.
> >
> >In years past (and versions past), you could insert a Style Separator, then
> >locate it later using Word's find dialog by searching for text "^p" with font
> >Hidden.
> >
> >It is, after all, basically just a paragraph mark, and it's font attribute
> >is Hidden.  But all of the sudden--not sure if it's just something that
> >started with Word 2007 SP2--it is no longer found with these parameters.
> >
> >This came as quite a surprise as several macros I use to find Style
> >Separators just stopped working. Does anyone have an inside scoop into
> >changes that may have been made recently to the behavior of the Find dialog
> >with respect to Style Separator paragraphs? And if so, why the decision to
> >make this change was made by Microsoft?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in this regard between Word
> 2003 and Word 2007. If nonprinting characters (or just hidden text)
> are displayed, the search you described will find the style separator
> in either version. If nonprinting characters (or just hidden text) are
> not displayed, then the search finds nothing.
>
> In VBA code, you can find hidden characters including style separators
> by using the .Find member of a Range object instead of that of the
> Selection object, and setting the Range object's
> ..TextRetrievalMode.IncludeHiddenText property to True:
>
> Sub demo1()
>     Dim oRg As Range
>     Set oRg = Selection.Range
>     oRg.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
>     oRg.TextRetrievalMode.IncludeHiddenText = True
>     With oRg.Find
>         .Format = True
>         .Font.Hidden = True
>         .Text = "^p"
>         If .Execute Then
>             ActiveWindow.View.ShowHiddenText = True
>             oRg.Select
>         End If
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> The Range object is necessary because the Selection object doesn't
> have a .TextRetrievalMode member.
>
> Note that the .ShowHiddenText turns on the Hidden Text item in Office
> button > Word Options > Display, independently of the "Show all
> formatting marks" which is tied to the ¶ button on the ribbon -- but
> it will show all hidden text, not just the style separators.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> .

The code I posted before works for me in Word 2007 on two different
computers. Does it not work for you? (One note: Because of the way the range
is defined in the macro, the cursor does need to be placed closer to the
start of the document than the style separator before running the macro in
order to find the separator.)

Jay

wordyOne wrote:
> [...]
>>         .Text = "^p"
>>         If .Execute Then
>>             ActiveWindow.View.ShowHiddenText = True
>>             oRg.Select
>>         End If
>>     End With
>> End Sub
>>
>> The Range object is necessary because the Selection object doesn't
>> have a .TextRetrievalMode member.
>>
>> Note that the .ShowHiddenText turns on the Hidden Text item in Office
>> button > Word Options > Display, independently of the "Show all
>> formatting marks" which is tied to the � button on the ribbon -- but
>> it will show all hidden text, not just the style separators.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the

12/18/2009 6:57:19 PM
I have pasted your VBA code into my IDE and it just doesn't work for me :(.

Code aside, if you use the Find dialog in Word 2003 and you look for "^p"
and Hidden do you find the style separators? And those exact steps in Word
2007 are they found?

The thing that I just can't get my head around is I had rock solid code
which I have been using to perform this operation for the last 5 years and it
suddenly stopped working. I am beginning to believe this is related to my
particular build of Word 2007 ~ I am using Word 2007 SP2.  But for what it's
worth, I tried the same steps in 2010 and it looks like we have the same
problem.

I can work around it, but it's an inconvenience and love to know Microsoft's
reason for why it changed.
Jay's code works for me too.

As for searching for hidden text, the search function will only find hidden
text where hidden text is displayed. This applies equally to Word 2003 and
2007. I don't recall this ever being different?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

>I have pasted your VBA code into my IDE and it just doesn't work for me :(.
>
> Code aside, if you use the Find dialog in Word 2003 and you look for "^p"
> and Hidden do you find the style separators? And those exact steps in Word
> 2007 are they found?
>
> The thing that I just can't get my head around is I had rock solid code
> which I have been using to perform this operation for the last 5 years and
> it
> suddenly stopped working. I am beginning to believe this is related to my
> particular build of Word 2007 ~ I am using Word 2007 SP2.  But for what
> it's
> worth, I tried the same steps in 2010 and it looks like we have the same
> problem.
>
> I can work around it, but it's an inconvenience and love to know
> Microsoft's
> reason for why it changed.

0
Graham
12/19/2009 5:58:13 AM
Hi Graham,
Could you try something for me, just as a quick test of the Find behavior in
Word's front end? Maybe I'm imagining this but I'm pretty sure it's changed.
In Word 2003, insert a Style Separator. Then (with Hidden text showing), use
the Find dialog to search for "^p", along with Font = Hidden checked.   And
then using those same steps in a document you create in Word 2007 SP2, does
the Find succeed?
Thanks!
PS - I noticed I somehow accidentally posted this to the DocManagement
subgroup - obviously this is more of a general Word question. Sorry it is in
the wrong place.
It is not found in either Word version unless hidden text is displayed.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Hi Graham,
> Could you try something for me, just as a quick test of the Find behavior
> in
> Word's front end? Maybe I'm imagining this but I'm pretty sure it's
> changed.
> In Word 2003, insert a Style Separator. Then (with Hidden text showing),
> use
> the Find dialog to search for "^p", along with Font = Hidden checked.
> And
> then using those same steps in a document you create in Word 2007 SP2,
> does
> the Find succeed?
> Thanks!
> PS - I noticed I somehow accidentally posted this to the DocManagement
> subgroup - obviously this is more of a general Word question. Sorry it is
> in
> the wrong place.

0
Graham
12/23/2009 6:01:51 AM
I hear what you're saying and not to beat a dead horse, but did you literally
go though the following steps in Word 2007 SP2?

1. Go to Customize, add Style Separator command to your QAT (via the
'Commands Not In Ribbon' list)
2. Turn on viewing of hidden text.
3. Insert some text, and then add a style separator in the document.
4. Go to the top of the document.
5. Use the Find command (either through VBA or the Word UI - doesn't matter).
    Enter ^p for the text to find, and ensure that Format is set as Hidden.

I have tried this on several different machines and the same result: It is
not found. The exact same steps in Word 2003 have always worked: the style
separator character is found. Am I seriously the only person who is
experiencing this?

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:29:02 -0800, wordyOne
<wordyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I hear what you're saying and not to beat a dead horse, but did you literally
>go though the following steps in Word 2007 SP2?
>
>1. Go to Customize, add Style Separator command to your QAT (via the
>'Commands Not In Ribbon' list)
>2. Turn on viewing of hidden text.
>3. Insert some text, and then add a style separator in the document.
>4. Go to the top of the document.
>5. Use the Find command (either through VBA or the Word UI - doesn't matter).
>    Enter ^p for the text to find, and ensure that Format is set as Hidden.
>
>I have tried this on several different machines and the same result: It is
>not found. The exact same steps in Word 2003 have always worked: the style
>separator character is found. Am I seriously the only person who is
>experiencing this?

Yes, I did literally go through those steps. The style separator was
found in Word 2007 on two computers, one running Windows XP SP2 and
the other running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (although Office is installed
there as a 32-bit application).

Now I've had a chance to try it on a third computer, with Word 2007
running on Windows 7 32-bit, and the style separator is *not* found
there. I don't know what causes the difference. Typically, oddities
like this are caused by add-ins. The 32-bit computer doesn't have any
add-ins that aren't on the 64-bit machine, and in fact the latter has
more add-ins that aren't on the 32-bit machine.

I'll get back to you if I find out anything else.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

I did try this on a machine with no add-ins and still have the same result,
so it is happening across the board on all Word 2007 SP2 PCs I've tested this
on. It also is the case in the Word 2010 beta (at least, for me it is).

I am beginning to wonder if it's related to one of the recent Windows
Updates that may have impacted Office 2007. This may explain why some of us
are seeing it and others are not.
Yes - I followed your instructions and as I said, it works when hidden text
is displayed, and not when it isn't.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

>I hear what you're saying and not to beat a dead horse, but did you
>literally
> go though the following steps in Word 2007 SP2?
>
> 1. Go to Customize, add Style Separator command to your QAT (via the
> 'Commands Not In Ribbon' list)
> 2. Turn on viewing of hidden text.
> 3. Insert some text, and then add a style separator in the document.
> 4. Go to the top of the document.
> 5. Use the Find command (either through VBA or the Word UI - doesn't
> matter).
>    Enter ^p for the text to find, and ensure that Format is set as Hidden.
>
> I have tried this on several different machines and the same result: It is
> not found. The exact same steps in Word 2003 have always worked: the style
> separator character is found. Am I seriously the only person who is
> experiencing this?

0
Graham
12/24/2009 5:57:57 AM
Just to follow up, I have reported this problem to Microsoft, and it is
confirmed to be broken in the latest build(s) of Word and Word 2010. The
issue has been passed on to the Word engineers.

The reason that some people could not reproduce seems to be related to the
build number of Word 2007. Earlier build numbers apparently do not exhibit
the problem, so it might coincide with some recent Windows or Office SP2
updates.

_ not able to track in CRM 4.0
Hi When there is _ in the name of attached files in a mail it's not possible to track the mail, is there a hotfix or solution for this issue ? Jack ...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...

Money 2007 Premium Application Error
Hi, I started getting an application error while in Money and now can't get into it at all. I get error message unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at 0x7813e792. I've uninstalled the application then reinstalled it using the CD an I get the error message. It occurs after entering my passowrd when the Home page is displayed. Any thoughts? -- John ...

Macro to split the contents in a single cell separated by "," into next cell in that column
Hi, I have sheet 1: column A column B columnC WR# Phase SP# Row2 60625 1-0110 60625RB1,60625NS1,60625GW1,60625BB1 Expected Output on clicking a button: column A column B columnC WR# Phase SP# Row2 60625 1-0110 60625RB1 Row3 60625NS1 Row4 60625GW1 Row5 60625BB1 Is there a way to split the contents in cell C2 separated by comma (,) and place it on next cell in column C itself? Ple...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Plot the undulation curve and find the rate of undulation
I'm working in an excel sheet in which I need to plot a ground profile graph from the input "Distance (along x-axis) and elevation (along y-axis) which has 30 measured points (30 points on a graph to draw the curve). Now I need to give this information to my boss which must include the stating point distance and elevation, end point distance and elevation and the rate of undulation. From this data my boss will analys the profile to mark certain parameters as critical. Do anybody have an idea how to do it. I have no idea. But in general a rate of change (in this case undulat...

Encoded Word Documents

Where are my saved word?

Outlook 2007 Export w/ Date
We have a need to print a list of e-mails from Outlook 2007, so we can make comments on each of them. The export seemed to be a perfect fit for this, because we could bring it into Excel, and type our notes. However the export does not include the date field. That's crazy. That's one of the main pieces. Is there any way at all to export this data and include the dates? Thanks, Jesse http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/copy_data.htm - if you need the message body, add the message field to the view and copy and paste. Note that it works best if don't need the body - or at...

DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available
Folks: The latest DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748. The KB page is available http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970 -- Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

MS Pub 2007
I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HTML fragments. I am attempting to insert the javascript from aWeber where a person can subscribe to my newsletter off my website (created with Pub). How can I set up a "submit" button in my publication with the script? Thanks for your help. Gary Inserted HTML code fragments will not work in an email message from Publisher. Sorry. DavidF "geedc" <geedc1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aff5f787-ccfe-423e-b392-66227f87c16d@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HT...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

my e-mail dose not work in office 2007
i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on it nothing happens do i have to activate it "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3ED581-F3ED-4C6A-9048-893EC1F57761@microsoft.com... >i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on >it > nothing happens do i have to activate it And your email client is? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) See if your mail p...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Outlook 2007 problems 03-08-10
Hello guys, When I run Outlook, the first thing I see is Outlook Today, which is good. But I cannot see my calendar entries on it. I have my work schedule, birthdays, public holidays all in separate calendars in outlook, but none of them show up on outlook today at all, I've search the net but cannot seem to find the answer help please... Are they all in subfolders of the default calendar or do you have anything IN the default calendar folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/out...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...