Word 2007 file save as increases file size

There is a shared file that is currently 2.01 MB, however when one specific
employee opens and change a name and save, the file size increases to 12 MB.
Why and How can this be stopped?

Are you using a document that users open, change data then save it as
something else? If so don't do that. Save the document as a template (dotx
or dotm if it has macros) and tell the users to create new documents from
it. It should both eliminate the problem and reduce the risk of a user
screwing it up'

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Roberta" <Roberta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is a shared file that is currently 2.01 MB, however when one
> specific
> employee opens and change a name and save, the file size increases to 12
> MB.
> Why and How can this be stopped?

0
Graham
6/3/2010 7:18:38 AM
I pressed send prematurely :(

Check also that the file save format the user is saving to is not doc. docx
formats are compressed whereas doc isn't.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Roberta" <Roberta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is a shared file that is currently 2.01 MB, however when one
> specific
> employee opens and change a name and save, the file size increases to 12
> MB.
> Why and How can this be stopped?

0
Graham

where is that save data feature for backup?
Hi All, On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for my life I can not remember where it was. :'[ Many thanks, -T ToddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo@invalid.com) writes: > On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data > to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this > on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for > my life I can not remember where it ...

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Repost: "Save target as..." option
When I used to use Outlook Express, I could right click on links (to PDFs, pix, etc) in message bodies and select the option "Save target as...". This option doesn't appear to be available for links in emails in Outlook 2003, and I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is a feature of Outlook, or a setting I need to change in the options somewhere. TIA It is a setting in the OS and not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without ...

Money 2007 Premium Application Error
Hi, I started getting an application error while in Money and now can't get into it at all. I get error message unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at 0x7813e792. I've uninstalled the application then reinstalled it using the CD an I get the error message. It occurs after entering my passowrd when the Home page is displayed. Any thoughts? -- John ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Does Office 2003 Pro Excel have auto-save?
I am trying to set up Auto save in Excel 2003 Pro. I found auto recovery but that is not what I am looking for. I think it may be an add-in. Thanks! ehop, From a previous post by Dave Peterson: If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should work ok. But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave, but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows c...

Outlook 2007 Export w/ Date
We have a need to print a list of e-mails from Outlook 2007, so we can make comments on each of them. The export seemed to be a perfect fit for this, because we could bring it into Excel, and type our notes. However the export does not include the date field. That's crazy. That's one of the main pieces. Is there any way at all to export this data and include the dates? Thanks, Jesse http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/copy_data.htm - if you need the message body, add the message field to the view and copy and paste. Note that it works best if don't need the body - or at...

Where are my saved word?

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available
Folks: The latest DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748. The KB page is available http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970 -- Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

MS Pub 2007
I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HTML fragments. I am attempting to insert the javascript from aWeber where a person can subscribe to my newsletter off my website (created with Pub). How can I set up a "submit" button in my publication with the script? Thanks for your help. Gary Inserted HTML code fragments will not work in an email message from Publisher. Sorry. DavidF "geedc" <geedc1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aff5f787-ccfe-423e-b392-66227f87c16d@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HT...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Outlook 2007 problems 03-08-10
Hello guys, When I run Outlook, the first thing I see is Outlook Today, which is good. But I cannot see my calendar entries on it. I have my work schedule, birthdays, public holidays all in separate calendars in outlook, but none of them show up on outlook today at all, I've search the net but cannot seem to find the answer help please... Are they all in subfolders of the default calendar or do you have anything IN the default calendar folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/out...

my e-mail dose not work in office 2007
i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on it nothing happens do i have to activate it "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3ED581-F3ED-4C6A-9048-893EC1F57761@microsoft.com... >i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on >it > nothing happens do i have to activate it And your email client is? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) See if your mail p...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

File size and data loss compare
I have a file that I download off my companies webserver. When I pull it off the webserver to my harddrive it comes down as a 12 meg CSV file. I open the file in Excel 2000 and then save it as an Excel file and the file size changes to around 3 meg. When the file is in Excel I have 6000 rows and the columns go out to AK. Is there an easy way to see what I am loosing when I go from the CSV to Excel? It worrys me that there is such a huge file difference Sounds like your file is comma-delimited...I assume you are using Excel's built-in conversion tool to seperate the lines of...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...