Why does Enter make cursor skip a line?

I am using Word 7.  I have sent my line spacing to Single, but when I hit
Enter the cursor moves down two lines, not one.  What else do I need to set
to cause the cursor to move down to the next line?

Hi,

That is one of the main things that users have trouble with once they
experience the new version of Office compared to older ones.

It is very simple to fix that problem. In the "Home" Tab make sure you
browse through the "Style" box and select the second box that says "AaBbCcDd
No Spacing."  That should fix it.

Even though you were trying to play around with the "single" spacing
property it still doesn't change the spacing between sentences. I really
don't know why Word has made that change which I find a little bit
frustrating.

Hope you find this helpful,

Vicente.
--
Vicente Tulliano

"Ginny" wrote:

> I am using Word 7.  I have sent my line spacing to Single, but when I hit
> Enter the cursor moves down two lines, not one.  What else do I need to set
> to cause the cursor to move down to the next line?
... and you can save this setting in the Normal.dotm template so that it is
automatically set for new documents. Type in "change normal template" in Word
Help to see how to do this.

"vttotal" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That is one of the main things that users have trouble with once they
> experience the new version of Office compared to older ones.
>
> It is very simple to fix that problem. In the "Home" Tab make sure you
> browse through the "Style" box and select the second box that says "AaBbCcDd
> No Spacing."  That should fix it.
>
> Even though you were trying to play around with the "single" spacing
> property it still doesn't change the spacing between sentences. I really
> don't know why Word has made that change which I find a little bit
> frustrating.
>
> Hope you find this helpful,
>
> Vicente.
> --
> Vicente Tulliano
>

> "Ginny" wrote:
>
> > I am using Word 7.  I have sent my line spacing to Single, but when I hit
> > Enter the cursor moves down two lines, not one.  What else do I need to set
> > to cause the cursor to move down to the next line?
Word 7 is Word 95! I assume you mean Word 2007?
Word 2007 has a different normal style configuration that includes
inter-paragraph spacing and a slightly larger line spacing than earlier
versions. You can easily adopt the earlier style settings by using the Word
2003 style set from the Home Tab > Styles > Change Styles > Style Set.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Ginny" <Ginny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 7.  I have sent my line spacing to Single, but when I hit
> Enter the cursor moves down two lines, not one.  What else do I need to
> set
> to cause the cursor to move down to the next line?

0
Graham

How to group bars showing counts and overlay line compliance chart
Using data similar to what's below (month, ticket count type, customer, SLA compliance %), I'd like to be able to have the bars with the # of tickets opened and closed for each month grouped so the bars touch each other while still having space inbetween each months' bars (using the 1st axis). I only can seem to find an option that determines the space between all bars...not allowing me to group the bars for a given month. As a second issue, the SLA compliance % data for closed tickets won't show up as a line chart overlaying the bar chart described above. I can get m...

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

when I shade my columns I lose my grid lines
I have recently upgraded to office 07. My old excel when I shaded a column I didn't lose my grid lines. with 07 when I shade a column I lose my grid line on my spread sheet and in printing. That is not an 07 issue. Grid lines disapear in all version of XL when cells are shaded. You can add borders if you want lines around the cells. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "nita" wrote: > I have recently upgraded to office 07. My old excel when I shaded a column I > didn't lose my grid lines. with 07 when I shade a column I lose my grid line > on my spr...

How do I make all cells in a table the same height & width?
Is there an easy way in Publisher to take a preformatted table and change the size of cells so that all are the same height and width? Use grid guides from Arrange, layout guides or create your guides from the ruler (arrange, ruler guides). There is no easy way. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jdmundy" <jdmundy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBA41AD8-7933-493C-8145-C439509A545B@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way in Publisher to take a preformatted table and change the > ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Printing border lines
I have a new computer that I have Excel 2002 on. I have the same programs on other computers as well, but this new one has decided to arbitrarily not print lines. I can go to the print preview and all the lines show, I go to print it and it leaves a line off. On one of the projects it is the vertical line on another it is the horizontal line. Is there a fix for this kind of glitch. I have never had this happen to me before unless it was that I happen to leave the line off. It is confusing because I can view it but it won't print it. Please help. ...

Email addresses do not make automatically?
Hi. When I create a new user in AD and accept to create mailbox for this user and then see the Email Address tab of this user properyies option,there aren't any email address?Then I define them manually. When the user logon(his own computer)and open a MAPI client(microsoft outlook2k)when I want to set the Exchange Server name and click Check Name button it says "Could not resolve this user name.and the name does not match....." Try forcing your Recipient Update Service (RUS) to run. It tends to get confused at times, especially with Exchange 2000. Usually a good reboot (...

Making a chart in excel.
Whenever I try to make a chart from data in excel, it returns " The program has enountered an error and will shut itself down down" and then it does. How can I make a chart? -- bill In article <4E7028F8-4F6D-4714-8904-1F0037762DE7@microsoft.com>, blackcat@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Whenever I try to make a chart from data in excel, it returns " The program > has enountered an error and will shut itself down down" and then it does. How > can I make a chart? > About the best I can suggest is to do more diagostics or repair. And, keep in mi...

Remove lines with +++

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Make two or three times your cost on thousands of products
Make two or three times your cost on thousands of products. Gift items,Toys Tools,Jewlery and more.Free info. No obligation http://g2967h.sprinkleofgifts.com/income.htm ...

how do I copy several lines of word text into one excel cell?
In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each line pastes into a different cell) You can either double click the cell or press F2 key to get into edit mode for the cell, then the text pasted would all go into the cell. -Simon "jhh" wrote: > In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one > excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each > line pastes into a different cell) thank you SO much Simon CC - ...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

want to filter out emails, with subjest line starting with a specfic sring
Hi All, I am using MS outlook 2003, I am trying to find out how can i create a rule to filter out emails with subject line starting with a specific string, but not to filter if that string is in the middle of subject line. i.e. lets take the sting as Foo Filer if Foo is in the starting don't filter if if the Foo is not in the starting. if any of you aware of the trick to make this happen please let me know, i tried to google it, but couldn't find anything related to it. Thanks Anand outlook doesn't offer anyway to build that sort of rule. If you can coun...

removing black lines
Sometimes I type an underline bar across the page. At the end of the page I'll hit the return (enter) key. When I do, the underline bar turns into a big black bar. Then I can't get rid of it. It just stays there. How can I get rid of this black bar? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> &...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

CCeDBDatabase Error, Assertion failed! AppName: File wcedb.cpp, Line 901 ( Newbie)
Hi, I am a seasoned C++ writer with very little knowledge of Databases I am trying to use the simplest database construct in MFC. I just want to load stuff into a database at the beggining of the application then be able to query it for stuff during the applications lifetime. It looked like CCeDBDatabase was the easiest since there is an example that comes with MFC. I am using Pocket PC 2002. I have written the code below and the 1st "if" clause can't create the database. I have declared the database in the ".h" file. When I comment the 1st "if" clause out. I...

entering time #2
hello all.. wondering if there is any way to do this... I have a column formatted for time as in this format 12:00 when entering a time it is cumbersome to have to enter the hour, then a colon, then the minutes. Is it possilbe to simply enter a 4 digit number such as 1245 and have it show up as 12:45 ?? thanks so much... I've found this group to be irreplaceable... glen in orlando Enter your times without colons in column A and put this formula in column B =(A1-RIGHT(A1,2))/2400+RIGHT(A1,2)/(24*60) and format column B for "Time" in the form you want it. Tod "Glen i...

Entering data
Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be locked. In article <15a201c43e09$dbea4e10$3501280a@phx.gbl>, "Alicia Contreras" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be > locked. Hi Alicia, try: Tools > Protect > Unprotect Hope this helps! ...

Make a formula
Is it possible with Excel 2000 to automatically make a list of all the formulas you are using in your spreadsheet to print them. Thanks...Steve -- Steven E ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Steven E.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1512 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26758 This subroutine makes a new sheet (Formulas in Sheen N) in which all formulas are listed together with cell reference and value. Not mine-own but I have lost the reference to the author but I thank h...

Enter Billing notes for Project Timesheets in Business Portal
In Business Portal, it seems that you can only enter notes at the timesheet header level. In Great Plains, you can enter notes on each timesheet line. How can I enter billing notes for each timesheet line in Business Portal. Here are the instructions: To add a billing note for hours that you worked on a specific day highlight or click in the appropriate cell and then click Add billing note. -- Charles Allen, MVP "KT" wrote: > In Business Portal, it seems that you can only enter notes at the timesheet > header level. In Great Plains, you can enter notes on each timesh...

how do I remove background lines on newsletter in Publisher
I am using Microsoft Office Publisher and trying to do a newsletter. I am having trouble removing the lines that appear as a background on the newsletter that look like loose leaf paper. how do I remove them? 1. You do know that they don't print, right? 2. In Pub 2003, View|Boundaries and Guides. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "taraoregon" <taraoregon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22B500AD-409B-4D39-873C-EB5AABE007DA@microsoft.com... >I am using Microsoft Office Publisher and trying to do a newsletter. I am > having trouble r...