Weird shifting

I have two odd things happening in my document that I don't *think* are
related, but who knows...? I'm using Word 2007 and I have a template that I
created specifically for this document. It is a very convoluted template
based on obsolete military style guides that I have no say in. I have 7
heading levels and each heading level has numbered procedural steps. Each
heading level indents one step from the next higher heading, so by the time I
get to the highest heading level my left indent is about 3". Crazy, but like
I said, I have no say in the format.

Anyhoo... when I start a new section, the heading levels (based on the
builit-in Heading styles) number correctly but when I go to start the
procedural steps they continue numbering from the list in the previous
section. No big deal, I just go in and tell it to restart at #1 and nine
times out of 10 it does. But what's weird is sometimes--only sometimes, and I
haven't been able to discern a pattern--the indentation gets all screwed up
on ONLY the first step; procedural step 2 lines up at the correct place
according to the paragraph style. Again, not that big of a deal, I just go
into the ruler and drag the line and tab markers to where they belong and
that fixes the problem (usually)... but it is annoying to have to move
everything around constantly when I have already established a paragraph
style. Any ideas?

The other oddness regards a small image I use throughout the manual to
indicate a warning. It's just a text box with the word WARNING. I created a
paragraph style and insert the picture from a JPEG file. The graphic is set
to wrap in line with text. But for some strange reason, a few of these
graphics seem to be getting "nudged" inside their box so that only half of
the graphic appears. I can't think of how to describe it, I wish I could post
a picture to show you what I mean. The space still appears as if the graphic
were in place, but the image itself starts halfway down in the space and the
bottom half of it is cut off and is not visible. Again, it's random and
unpredictable. When that happens I've tried deleting and reinserting the
image, adding extra paragraph lines above and below, and the only way I can
fix it is to go in and change the wrap style to wrap through and then add
lines above and below it to position it in the correct place relating to the
rest of the text.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated! I'll be happy to send
anyone a sample of the two problems I've encountered if it might help in the
solution.

I sounds like the numbering in your Heading 2 style is not set restart after
Heading 1

See the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

"How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document"

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

In Word 2007 to create (AND to modify) such a numbering scheme, use the
pulldown for the Multilevel List in the Paragraph section of the Home tab of
the Ribbon and select the "Define new Multilevel List...) item in the bottom
of the dialog.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Amy Enderson" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> a picture to show you what I mean. The space still appears as if the
> graphic
> were in place, but the image itself starts halfway down in the space and
> the
> bottom half of it is cut off and is not visible. Again, it's random and
> unpredictable. When that happens I've tried deleting and reinserting the
> image, adding extra paragraph lines above and below, and the only way I
> can
> fix it is to go in and change the wrap style to wrap through and then add
> lines above and below it to position it in the correct place relating to
> the
> rest of the text.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated! I'll be happy to
> send
> anyone a sample of the two problems I've encountered if it might help in

0
Doug
3/5/2010 1:29:43 AM
Sorry... delayed reaction... I forgot to hit the "notify" button...

I have all the levels set to restart after the previous level, so for some
reason it just doesn't pick it up...

I looked at the website recommended but I'm using Word 2007, and when I
tried to follow the steps substituting the correct menu directories it didn't
work... I got the list entirely set up in the multilevel list dialog and
linked all of the headings to the built-in MS heading levels but when I went
into the document and selected Heading 1 it just gave me the default
formatting, not the formatting I selected in the multilevel list dialog.

I'll also post this question on the .numbering DG... I was not aware of this
group before but maybe someone there can help, as well. Thanks for trying,
anyway!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > a picture to show you what I mean. The space still appears as if the
> > graphic
> > were in place, but the image itself starts halfway down in the space and
> > the
> > bottom half of it is cut off and is not visible. Again, it's random and
> > unpredictable. When that happens I've tried deleting and reinserting the
> > image, adding extra paragraph lines above and below, and the only way I
> > can
> > fix it is to go in and change the wrap style to wrap through and then add
> > lines above and below it to position it in the correct place relating to
> > the
> > rest of the text.
> >
> > Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated! I'll be happy to
> > send
> > anyone a sample of the two problems I've encountered if it might help in

Weird Opening Document
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007. Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this time??? My guess: Because the file extension was .doc and the default file format in Word 2007 is .docx Daddy "BK" <nosp...

WEIRD FOLDER
I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? Thanks Paul "PAUL" <pkoukos@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:992BA7CD-6A82-46CD-9876-B7F69E8401D3@microsoft.com... > I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: > {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} > > Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? > > Thanks > > Paul It's most likely a temp folder used by installing of some program. It should b...

weird symbol instead of comma in address?
I have Office 2007 and I am using the Publisher with the mail merge to populate the addresses in thank-you cards to be mailed out. The only problem is that the comma between the city and state does not look like a comma but a small right triangle without the hypotenuse. What do I need to do for the comma to appear correctly in the address? Are you using a decorative font? I can't duplicate your issue. Is the comma in the city field or are you manually adding it? Personally I don't use the comma any longer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Susan" <dsnsac...

Weird shifting
I have two odd things happening in my document that I don't *think* are related, but who knows...? I'm using Word 2007 and I have a template that I created specifically for this document. It is a very convoluted template based on obsolete military style guides that I have no say in. I have 7 heading levels and each heading level has numbered procedural steps. Each heading level indents one step from the next higher heading, so by the time I get to the highest heading level my left indent is about 3". Crazy, but like I said, I have no say in the format. Anyhoo... w...

Weird Spacing Problem
I have two users that when they type an email in CRM and then click Save, it adds about 15 to 20 line spaces at the top of the document. To test, I used the same Contact, clicked email, then Save and it didn't do it for me. But then I had him go in to that Contact and open the email I had just created and it immediately added 15-20 lines at the top (that he can't get rid of). If he sends the email it leaves the lines and appears like it's a big, blank email. Anyone seen anything like this? I thought at first maybe it was an OL 2003 thing because I'm still on 2000, but I t...

Weird scrolling problem with folders
I am having a really weird problem with my storage folders and scrolling to the bottom folder in the list. At the bottom of my email account list ( I have 15 email accounts, mostly imap), I have Outbox and underneath it Storage folders. I have a dozen or so folders in storage folders. When I expand storage folders and try to scroll down to the last item and click on it, the list will jump up , it will frequently jump back up a couple of items, and I can't see the bottom of the list. Does anyone have a bunch of folders in Storage folders, and does this happen to you? YOu have ...

Mark Citation Dialog Box
Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem, as I am baffled. In Word, when I select a citation and press Alt+Shift+I, I expect to see the Mark Citation dialog box appear. Instead, Word simply marks my text - no dialog box, as shown below (the text within the {} brackets is hidden, as expected): Citation text{ TA \l "Citation text" \s "Citation text" \c 1 } I have checked and double-checked the keyboard shortcuts in my Normal.dot and MarkCitation is indeed set to Alt+Shift+I. So why does it simply mark it and not display the dialog...

Help
Hi, I have an excel sheet with some standard controls such as buttons and combo boxes on it using Excel 2002 SP3. The problem is that after I do a print preview and closed the print preview window. There are page break dotted lines displayed on the sheets and all the controls on on the second page get shifted to the first page. I've check the lock property on the controls(buttons, combo boxes etc) to True and that doesn't seem to work. The strange thing is that on the problem does not exists on my windows XP system but only happening on my Windows 2000 machine. Any help would be m...

Weird Number Truncating
I am trying to create a spreadsheet for tracking items by barcode. Fo what ever reason, any number containing more than 15 numbers, exce changes all numbers after the 15th digit to zero. For example: 7301010250174422 becomes 7301010250174420 when entered into an excel cell. 7301010250174422456 becomes 7301010250174420000 Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks Darro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Darron, Excel's precision for numbers is 15 decimal digits. Use text instead, either by preceding the number with a single quote (which will not show) or by formatting ...

weird outlook 2007 shutdown problem
I run Outlook 2007 on Windows XP Pro SP2. When I reboot my computer ... the first time I start Outlook and go to close it ... It still runs in task manager. It doesn't use any CPU time so normally I would just say the heck with it but .... it does use anywhere from 66M to 127M of ram and I noticed when if I continue to let it run it slowly uses more and more ram... I can open and close it as many times as I want yet it still runs in TM. I have to end task on the process to get it to shut down .. Once I have ended task on the processes and launch Outlook again ... when I close it .. ...

Mailbox management -- recipient policy age limit weirdness
I've been testing a couple recipient policies, and I come across this kind of thing now and then. I end up with a report that shows a few users with something like this when absolutely nothing should get tagged for deletion on them: ---------- Cleaning Mailbox user@domain.com Recipient Policy: Test1 Folder / Contents: 1 Items (27.00 KB) Folder / Contents: 1 Items (27.00 KB) Folder / Done: 0 Items Processed, 1 Items Would Be Moved or Deleted (2097409 KB) Folder /Outbox Contents: 0 Items (5.00 KB) Folder /Outbox Contents: 0 Items (5.00 KB) Folder /Outbox Done: 0 Items Processed, 0 Items Wou...

Weird autoformat
We were just upgraded at work to Office 2002. I did not have this problem with earlier versions. I often enter text such as "A02-12" or "A01-03" into spreadsheets (this stands for Annealer 2, run 12 or Annealer 1, Run 3). However, now when I type it, for some reason Excel interprets that as a date with a very strange custom format. For example, A01-03, comes out look like a bunch of arabic with the number 3 after it. The format is B2d-mmm . If I change it to general format its the number 37686, which is the date March 6, 2003. Typing something like "B01-03&quo...

How to have report text shift left ? (Fname MI Lname)
When creating a report we want the Fname MI Lname to shift left and not be spaced out... Not Like... John A Smith But like... John A. Smith. I looked at properties for the fields on the report but need guidance. thanks for any help. "Will" <Will@somewhere.com> wrote in news:46d33b94$0$6491$4c368faf@roadrunner.com: > When creating a report we want the Fname MI Lname to shift left > and not be spaced out... > > Not Like... > > John A Smith > > But like... > > John A. Smith. > > ...

in excel 2003 what happened to the shift+f1 (help tip)

Weird issue in CFileDialog(Context Menu)
hi I am running into this werid problem. I am using CFileDialog to open a file and it works fine if I either double click on the file or single click + "Open" button. But the thing is whenever I use the ContextMenu(right click) and "Select" to open the file, all the resource gets messed up(it seems like). right after I do right click->select to open up the file I call this CMenu menu; menu.LoadMenu(IDR_POPUP_MENU); and this LoadMenu returns false and every dialog text turn into a empty dialogbox(doesn't show any messages). why would the above code work when I ei...

Cannot shift objects off sheet
I am trying to insert a column between C & D and I get the message that I "Cannot shift objects off the sheet". The knowledgebase says this means that I either have hidden cells or comments. As far as I know, I have neither. I certainly did not do either on purpose. If I have any, I don't need them. I have tried unhiding the entire sheet. Still fails. I've copied just the data cells to a new sheet. Still fails. I tried copying those columns to a new workbook. That solved the problem. So, there is something wrong with that workbook. How do I figure out what it is? ...

VERY WEIRD???
I have a simple function, written in two ways. SIZE GetAxisTextExtentX() { TCHAR t[MAX_TCHAR_FTOA]; SIZE szmin, szmax; FloatToString((double)m_TScales.xmin, t, m_nDecimalsX); ::GetTextExtentPoint32(m_hDC, t, _tcslen(t), &szmin); FloatToString((double)m_TScales.xmax, t, m_nDecimalsX); ::GetTextExtentPoint32(m_hDC, t, _tcslen(t), &szmax); szmax.cx = max(szmin.cx, szmax.cx); szmax.cy = max(szmin.cy, szmax.cy); return szmax; } BOOL GetAxisTextExtentX(LPSIZE lpSize) { ASSERT(lpSize); TCHAR t[MAX_TCHAR_FTOA]; SIZE szmin, szmax; FloatToString((double)m_TScales.xm...

Shortcut Shift + F3 freezes Outlook Express 6
In Outlook Express 6 the shortcut Shift + F3 no longer works, when I try to use it to search for a specific message the program stops working and I have to close it by using Ctrl + Alt + Del so I cannot search for a specific message, instead I have to look through the whole files with the up- and down- arrows. I have Windows XP ServicePack 3. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I'd be most gratful for some help! What about Ctrl+Shift+F? If that doesn't work either, try in a new identity. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Be...

Weird thing happening with dates in 2003
I'm using Excel for a merge database. On sheet 1, I have cells that format dates to be e.g. July 6, 2009. On Sheet 2, I have that cell from Sheet 1 included in a sentence. So... in Sheeet 2, B1="Recorded on "&Sheet1!B29 | Sheet1 B29 being the date I mentioned. I'm getting in my output: "Recorded on 4000" which is really uncool because I'm doing this A LOT in my document. Please help? Do it this way: =3D"Recorded on "&TEXT(Sheet1!B29,"mmmm d, yyyy") Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 16, 3:30=A0pm, Nit_Wit_400 <kflinsp...@gmail...

Shift key state on double click?
Er, I'm sure this is easy, but I just can't find it: I'm picking up a double click on a tree control via ON_NOTIFY_REFLECT(NM_DBLCLK, OnDblclk) in the owning CTreeView. In my Ondblclk, how do I find out if the user was holding a SHIFT key down whilst double-clicking? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk GetKeyState(VK_SHIFT); AliR. "Tim Ward" <tw2@ipaccess.com> wrote in message news:37efn0F5coeieU1@individual.net... > Er, I'm sure this is easy, but I just can't find it: > > I'm picking up a double click on a tree co...

weird
www.ctrlfreek.com ...

Two weird events..........thoughts?
ONE: One of my LAN user sent out an email today with 1 person on the TO and two people on the CC list. One of the recipients is also on the LAN running Win9x and the second recipient is also on the LAN running Win2000. The 9x user only got one email (like a normal email delivery). However the win2000 user got THREE of the same email messages. Both LAN users use Outlook 2000. I am not certain how the email showed upon the three recipient's email client program. Why and how might this of happend. I have a FreeBSD box for my mailserver running Sendmail/Qpopper. TWO: When...

weird /strange???
I have a piece of code which is in a multithread program: .... bool b,b1; b1 = MyData.success; //MyData is protected using Mutex, b1=true here by using Visual Studio watch window b = (b1 == true);//return false ?????? b = (true && b1);//return true .... "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:1142359707.474751.38170@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have a piece of code which is in a multithread program: >=20 > ... > bool b,b1; > b1 =3D MyData.success; > //MyData is protected using Mutex, b1=3Dtrue here by using Visual = Studio &g...

Weird
I have just opend up a spreadsheet i use constantaly, now when i selec a range then copy i get the message "cannot open the clipboard". i a still able to paste but again the message appears- its annoying an timley. PLEAES HEL -- jhil ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jhill's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39451 I don't know the answer but here is a previous post fromTom Ogilvy that deals with it: http://tinyurl.com/a8y3s...

Weird setup, please help
Hello, We have currently been given a 2mb link by the local council, problem is they have blocked every port appart from 25,53 and 80.... notice no 110. We recieve our email through port 25 how can I setup exchange so it looks at 10.31.0.195:25 to recieve our email (PS I know its an internal address) James I am confused with your question or I am reading it wrong. The Exchange system should be receiving e-mail from your ISP through port 25. The ISP should have the MX record (IP address) of your Exchange server to forward mail to. Or, are you talking about your Outlook clients getting m...