unwanted formatting (Word 2007)

Hello,
I have a template in Word 2007 that does a mailmerge with a .CSV file.
The CSV file contains fields with document names (p.e. "ST 900.docx").
During the merge, the contents of these small documents is inserted.
The documents are made in Courier 12.
The template is also in Courier 12 and the default font in Normal.dotx
is also Courier 12.

After the merge, in the "output" document, the layout of the inserted
text is completely messed up:
in one line the font changes from Courier to Times New Roman and back
and the text will be bold where it is not in the inserted documents.
Also, indentation is not kept the way it was in the original imported
documents.

What can be the cause of this behavior and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

--
Wordmerger
0

Toggle the field display - ALT+F9 - in your merge document and the fields
will change from <<Fieldname>> to {Mergefield Fieldname} add a charformat
switch eg

{Mergefield Fieldname \*Charformat} then press F9 to update the field. Do
the same for all the fields that display incorrectly. Then toggle the
display back again ALT+F9 and re-merge.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Wordmerger" <Wordmerger.6272827@wordbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I have a template in Word 2007 that does a mailmerge with a .CSV file.
> The CSV file contains fields with document names (p.e. "ST 900.docx").
> During the merge, the contents of these small documents is inserted.
> The documents are made in Courier 12.
> The template is also in Courier 12 and the default font in Normal.dotx
> is also Courier 12.
>
> After the merge, in the "output" document, the layout of the inserted
> text is completely messed up:
> in one line the font changes from Courier to Times New Roman and back
> and the text will be bold where it is not in the inserted documents.
> Also, indentation is not kept the way it was in the original imported
> documents.
>
> What can be the cause of this behavior and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> --
> Wordmerger

0
Graham
5/5/2010 1:38:30 PM
Hi Graham,

I'm afraid that doesn't work, because the field that I use, inserts a
complete (small) Word file in which there is formatting at different
places.

In the template, the fields I use are:

{ QUOTE { INCLUDETEXT "E:\\ {MERGEFIELD "art" } " }}

The contents of the field "art" is the name of a small Word document
(p.e. ST 900.docx).
This can be a text of several lines with tabs, indents, bold and/or
other formatting.

I already found out that I had to leave out the \*MERGEFORMAT part.
Right now it leaves the formatting OK for the inserted documents IF
they are created on my computer.
I still have to do some testing to find out if it has something to do
with the fact that the template was created on my computer and the
small article-documents on my clients computer.

In the end this will have to work on my clients computer.
Would it help if I recreated the template on their computer ?

Thanks!

--
Wordmerger
0

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Wordmerger" <Wordmerger.627d0e7@wordbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hi Graham,
>
> I'm afraid that doesn't work, because the field that I use, inserts a
> complete (small) Word file in which there is formatting at different
> places.
>
> In the template, the fields I use are:
>
> { QUOTE { INCLUDETEXT "E:\\ {MERGEFIELD "art" } " }}
>
> The contents of the field "art" is the name of a small Word document
> (p.e. ST 900.docx).
> This can be a text of several lines with tabs, indents, bold and/or
> other formatting.
>
> I already found out that I had to leave out the \*MERGEFORMAT part.
> Right now it leaves the formatting OK for the inserted documents IF
> they are created on my computer.
> I still have to do some testing to find out if it has something to do
> with the fact that the template was created on my computer and the
> small article-documents on my clients computer.
>
> In the end this will have to work on my clients computer.
> Would it help if I recreated the template on their computer ?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Graham Mayor;468195 Wrote:
>> Toggle the field display - ALT+F9 - in your merge document and the
>> fields
>> will change from Fieldname to {Mergefield Fieldname} add a charformat
>> switch eg
>>
>> {Mergefield Fieldname \*Charformat} then press F9 to update the field.
>> Do
>> the same for all the fields that display incorrectly. Then toggle the
>> display back again ALT+F9 and re-merge.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>

>> "Wordmerger" Wordmerger.6272827@wordbanter.com wrote in message
>>
>> Hello,
>> I have a template in Word 2007 that does a mailmerge with a .CSV
>> file.
>> The CSV file contains fields with document names (p.e. "ST
>> 900.docx").
>> During the merge, the contents of these small documents is inserted.
>> The documents are made in Courier 12.
>> The template is also in Courier 12 and the default font in
>> Normal.dotx
>> is also Courier 12.
>>
>> After the merge, in the "output" document, the layout of the inserted
>> text is completely messed up:
>> in one line the font changes from Courier to Times New Roman and back
>> and the text will be bold where it is not in the inserted documents.
>> Also, indentation is not kept the way it was in the original imported
>> documents.
>>
>> What can be the cause of this behavior and what can I do to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

>> --
>> Wordmerger -
>

> --
> Wordmerger

0
Graham

How do I search for pennies in Word (eg $4.13 as opposed to $4)
I'm trying to find a fast way to search through financial statement footnotes and find instances where monetary amounts are not rounded to nearest dollar. For instance, where $151,252.11 is typed, there should only be $151,252 (no pennies). Is there a way to search for monetary amounts that end in pennies? Hi, Do the following. 1. Press Ctrl+F to open Find and Replace. 2. In "Find What", type $[0-9,]{1,}.[0-9]{2} 3. Click "More". 4. Select the "Use wildcards" check box. 5. Click "Find Next. Be sure to clear the "Use wildcards"...

Using hours in weekly schedule format 40:00:00 and reporting in Cr
I am creating a database with weekly staff hours in a format of 40:00:00, I figured out how to get access to accept these numbers but now I need to transfer this data accross to a crystal report to help compile it all. I believe their may be a setting in Access to allow this data to transfer in the format I want. Any ideas? I may have to format Crystal reporting but was hoping to do all of it in Access that I can. You can't, at least not as a Date field. The Date field in Access is a specific point-in-time, not a duration (under the covers, it's an 8 byte floating point nu...

XML formatting in Mozilla Firefox
I am creating an xml document using XMLOutputter in JAVA, then displaying the xml file in Firefox browser. My problem is that I want to simply display the XML as idented text, but the browser adds "-" signs to the text. So when I try to copy+paste the text I also get the "-" signs with it. Can I cause the browser to display an idented XML text without the "-" signs?? An example of copy paste: ******************************* - <XML> - <defaultConfig> - <Server checkInterval="300"/> </Server> </defaul...

COleDateTime:: Format method
I'm using the COleDateTime::Format method below: m_date.Format("%m/%d/%Y") when the month or day fields are a single digit the are formatted with leading blanks (ie. " 5/ 4/2006"). What I want is "5/4/2006". Is there some way to supress the leading blanks in these fields? Thanks, Neil Try: m_date.Format("%#m/%#d/%Y"); Victor "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83F9C728-BE11-4EF6-AE2C-93F790273E17@microsoft.com... > I'm using the COleDateTime::Format method below: > > m_date.Format(&q...

03 -> 07 migration EAP unwanted results: unwanted email address for all users
I am near completion of an 03 -> 07 migration I have just upgraded the Email Address Policies to 2007, the non-defualt policies are defined by dept One of the policies appears to have added an unwabted address to default users, this dispite checking (previewing) the filter befire applying How can I remove the unwanted address from the group of users who should only be getting the default polcy? F Hello Frank, > I am near completion of an 03 -> 07 migration > > I have just upgraded the Email Address Policies to 2007, the > non-defualt policies a...

Office 2007-keys in Vista Home Premium register.
Hi I'm using VISTA Home Premium and Office 2007 and I do not know in which forum my question belongs. I had an HD-crash and restored the disk from my backup. Some hours later i could go back to work but when I opend Word and later Excel 2007 I discoverd that the "Open recent document"-list under the "Office-button" was empty. When I checked the option under "Word settings/advanced/ show/ Number of recently opened documents" the number is 0 (zero) and the whole row is grayed out. There is an information saying "The Administrator has temporar...

ZIP CODE FORMATTING
I HAVE A DATA BASE WITH THE ! ICON REFERENCE ON SOME OF MY ZIP CODE ENTRIES. IT SAYS THAT "THE NUMBER IN THIS CELL IS FORMATTED AS TEXT OR PRECEDED BY AN APOSTROPHE." HOW DO I FORMAT THE ZIP CODES SO THAT THEY ARE ALL THE SAME?SOME ENTRIES DO NOT HAVE THIS DISCLAIMER. THANKS, VICTOR Sometimes, simply opening and closing TTC will work. Try this: Select the Column with the data, then: <Data> <TextToColumns> <Finish> -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! =======...

How to inject data in a Word Document
Now... I have a "template" document and I have to programmatically inject some data in some fixed points (I can mark this points with "placeholders" (like #placeholder1#, #placeholder2#...). How can I do this? (now I'm using an RTF document and my program simply search and replace the placeholders, saves and the opens the RTF with Word, but this isn't a real solution) (I'm using MFC, but I don't have problems using Windows API). Bye Max >Now... I have a "template" document and I have to programmatically >inject some data in some fixed point...

Report formating
I am interested in combining pages from different applications, i.e. Word, Excel, etc. and combining them into a single document to prepare a report. Does anyone know of an application that would combine pages from various sources and then number them for a report? Microsoft "improved" the Office suite a while back by removing "Binder", however... PC Magazine article, January 29, 2002 by M. David Stone on using Binder in Office XP http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,5224,00.asp Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Hrider" <hrider@yahoo.c...

Change default location in Publisher 2007
My research on the web seems to indicate that for some inexplicable reason it is not possible to change the default location in Publisher 2007. This is really annoying as every time I try to open a document Publisher looks in 'My documents' and not the folder I use. I found the following information on the web but when I click on 'Tools' in the 'Open dialogue box' I do not get the option to 'add to my places': "You can only add the folder to 'my places' and cannot choose a default file location in Publisher 2007. When you go to save the file,...

Date auto format
When I type"1-2000"in a cell, it automatically changes to show "Jan-00". It is not a date that I am entering so I want it show as "1-2000". I change the cell format to "general", then as soon as I enter the text, the format changes to "date". How can I get the cell to not automatically revert to the date format? Either pre-format the cell as Text (for that's what it is), or prefix the entry with an apostrophe: '1-2000 In article <0b6d01c3cef5$91a2f0b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Jeff" <jbender@cbedmonton.co...

Outlook 2007 Synchronization error
Just upgraded Outlook from 2003 to 2007. Synchronization error occuring. I deleted the OST and allowed Outlook to recreate it, but that's a the extent of it. The error appears every few minutes: 10:14:10 Synchronizer Version 12.0.6211 10:14:10 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Smith, Michael'' 10:14:10 Synchronizing Hierarchy 10:14:11 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Inbox' 10:14:11 Downloading from server 'EMAILSERVER.COMPANY.COM' 10:14:11 Error synchronizing folder 10:14:11 [80040119-501-80040119-560] 10:14:11 The client operation failed. 10:14:11 Mi...

Automatic formatting problem #2
Hi all! I've run into a problem in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 with automatic formatting in a message view. In both cases, I have specific rules set up to format particular messsages with a color. However, the automatic formatting does not always work. Sometimes the messages are properly formatted, other times they are not. And it appears that the formatting condition must occur within the first few lines of a message. My rules are set to format based on certain text strings, and if the text appears very early in the message, the rule works. However, if the text appears later, the ru...

microsoft word equation vertical alignment and display font size issue
In Microsoft Word 2003, when I add a new inline equation into a large word document (50+ pages with tables, equations), the equation vertically aligns with text around it well, i.e., bottom aligned. Overtime, this document grows so huge, that I'd like to either copy paste the entire document into a new document, or save it as a new document, to shrink the file size, and prevent frequent crash of word. But either way, in the new document that I created, or saved as, all equation now shows up slightly smaller than it is in the original document, and it sits slightly higher than the...

Font Issue�Copying Browser Text into Word
OS 10.4x with Word v.X and Camino Browser. I use Arial in my company documents and I have my browser set to always use Arial. But when I copy text from the browser into my Word document, it always comes in as Lucida Grande. Is there a fix or setting that will make the copied text paste into Word as Arial? -- Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. Mark Twain ...

Stripping out unwanted date in cell
Hello, I am trying to import a Global address list, but my problem is I need just the smtp address in the cell so i want to strip out all the other junk, here is a couple of examples of what the field could appear like. I need to strip out everything accept for the SMTP:someaddress@someplace.someextension. It could be any extension and it is not always a percent at the beginning or end. SMTP:bubba.cairn@bla.ca%MS:UOF9/UNIVERSITY/bcairn%X400:c=US;a=;p=Uof9;o=Univ ersity?Hall;s=Cairn;g=bubba;%CCMAIL:Cairn, bubba at University_Hall CCMAIL:ssdsexam at STUDENT-SERV%MS:UOF9/STUDENTSER/SSDSEXAM%SMTP...

Report Format

How do I get a word count for a document in Outlook
I have written a document in Outlook for which I need a word count. Is it possible to get that information without counting every word myself? Copy and paste it into Word, and let Word count it for you . . . --Dave "bonbon" <bonbon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4161260-6F40-45BA-9FE2-1CAAC23A353E@microsoft.com... > I have written a document in Outlook for which I need a word count. Is it > possible to get that information without counting every word myself? ...

how to format excel format to text format with separator "|" in s.
Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <E7023106-3D03-4427-ACDE-C846447FBA3E@microsoft.com>, "azlan" <azlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Format Date #2
Is there any way that when I enter a Date in say Cell A1, Cell A2 would be able to reflect the Day? Hi try =A1 and format with the custom format DDDD or use the formula =TEXT(A1,"dddd") "Alicia" wrote: > Is there any way that when I enter a Date in say Cell A1, Cell A2 would be > able to reflect the Day? > > Thanks, But currently i even have problem format date to watever format i want, like dd-mmm-yy or dd/mm/yy... i know it is possible, there must be something in my excel that is wrong. Any clue on wat might be wrong. Even when i present calcul...

Re: unwanted pictures
64, not 54 Anyway, never be concerned with it. It's normal. "Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in message news:efZ2Kq0iKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > 64, not 54 > > Anyway, never be concerned with it. It's normal. Are you correcting your IQ? You believe your IQ is 64 and not 54? ...

Lock Langauge in Word
Hi guys, I want to set up Word so that it ONLY works in UK English. UK English ONLY. This means that when a document is opened in any language Word sets the langauge to be UK English only always without fail regardless of the original langauge. I would like this process to be invisible and set up one time for the client machine. So far I can see no way of acheiveing this. Can any body help me? Many thanks, mrd0g Change the language for the Normal style of your document. This setting will be preserved as others open the document. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word M...

Formatting Excel to export to Outlook
How do I format Excel to be able to export it to Outlook? Hi the easiest way would be to first export from Outlook to Excel and have a look at the datasheet layout -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "rgonzalez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:43c401c49042$9bea4780$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I format Excel to be able to export it to Outlook? ...

unwanted pictures
Every day in my "recently changed" file under "DOCUMENTS" I receive hundreds of unwanted pictures.It seems as if they are snapshots from a tv news show. Help Jade -- jadelo22 probably cached images from webpages you visited, or HTML email you opened, or webpages you stored locally but opened several times. Don't be concerned with it, it's stored for faster access in case you open same webpage again and system detect's page hasn't changes since last visit. But with huge RAM memories & fast Internet these days, its usefulness is ...

Conditional format for Highlight first Minimum Value greater than zero
Hello All, I am using Office 2003 and have the following problem I am trying to use CF to highlight the first Minimum value greater than zero. I selected the range with A10 as active cell and used =A10=MIN($A$10:$A $15) in CF but this highlights Zeros I also tried =AND(A10>0,MIN($A$10:$A15)) but did not succeed Can anybody point me in the right direction TIA Rashid Khan Hi Rashid, Try this formula =A10=MIN(IF($A$10:$A$15<>0,$A$10:$A$15)) -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) <prkhan56@gmail.com> wrote in m...