unlock master/subdocument

My PhD dissertation was created some years ago in Word 2003 as a master
document with subdocuments.

I now tried to open this in Word 2007 (fully activated copy), and though the
master document opens, it will not open the subdocuments, claiming that
"at least one subdocument or the master document is locked. No changes were
made to any locked parts of this master document".

The only kind of protection I see in Word 2007 is the protect document
function, according to which all my documents have unrestricted access. In
the "master document" section of the oulining ribbon there is nothing in the
way of lock/unlock features. I tried to find some obscure tool in the
customize section of  Word options, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Danny

The master document in Word has been broken in all versions and is a source
of document corruption. I would advise that you don't use it.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PhD dissertation was created some years ago in Word 2003 as a master
> document with subdocuments.
>
> I now tried to open this in Word 2007 (fully activated copy), and though
> the
> master document opens, it will not open the subdocuments, claiming that
> "at least one subdocument or the master document is locked. No changes
> were
> made to any locked parts of this master document".
>
> The only kind of protection I see in Word 2007 is the protect document
> function, according to which all my documents have unrestricted access. In
> the "master document" section of the oulining ribbon there is nothing in
> the
> way of lock/unlock features. I tried to find some obscure tool in the
> customize section of  Word options, but no luck.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Danny

0
Graham
12/25/2009 11:08:51 AM
Graham,

First of all, thanks for taking the trouble to reply on Christmas day.
Second, I do not plan to use master documents again, but in order to
preserve all the formatting in this work, I'd like to be able to open it
again fully, and then save it as one single document. I guess I'll try to
open it on a machine with Word 2003 and do it there.

thanks again,

Danny
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> The master document in Word has been broken in all versions and is a source
> of document corruption. I would advise that you don't use it.
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My PhD dissertation was created some years ago in Word 2003 as a master
> > document with subdocuments.
> >
> > I now tried to open this in Word 2007 (fully activated copy), and though
> > the
> > master document opens, it will not open the subdocuments, claiming that
> > "at least one subdocument or the master document is locked. No changes
> > were
> > made to any locked parts of this master document".
> >
> > The only kind of protection I see in Word 2007 is the protect document
> > function, according to which all my documents have unrestricted access. In
> > the "master document" section of the oulining ribbon there is nothing in
> > the
> > way of lock/unlock features. I tried to find some obscure tool in the
> > customize section of  Word options, but no luck.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Danny
>

> .

UnLocked Cells No Color
Hi there, I have a spread sheet which is passed around frequently. Therefore I have locked a number of cells to protect its information. However, its necesary that other change the color of the unlocked cells. The problem is that once the sheet is protected the unlocked (and therefore changeable) do not have any color icon and so I cant change them. I cant figure out a way to have locked cells and still allow color changes on the unlocked without giving the password away (which of course defeats the purpose) Cheers! This capability was added in xl2002. But if you're running an earlier...

how do i unlock modifications
My Word 2007 used to work. Now I can't do ANYTHING on it because it tells me the modification I am trying to use is locked. How do I unlock it? Are you using a trial version of Word that has passed its use by date? If so, to see how to convert it to a regular version, see "How do I convert my trial?" at: http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/faq.aspx Another possibility is that you have not Activated the software. You can also find out how to do that at the above site. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my ...

Selecting Unlocked Cells Only
Is there a way in VBA to have user restricted to selecting only unlocke cells in a work book. I have tried to password protect each work shee with the cells formatted as locked or unlocked. However when you sav and reopen the workbook "sometimes" it reopens allowing the user t select both locked cells as well as unlocked cells. The locked cell are still restricted, so if you click on it you get the warning...bu it's a pain if you're trying to imput data quickly navigating aroun all the cells on a work sheet -- Db171 ---------------------------------------------------------...

Apple Iphone Unlocked,HTC Google Nexus Unlocked
We are a Recognized Distributor of Various Consumer Electronics, We Specialize in a wide Range of Products such as Mobile Phones, Laptops, Video Games Console, Digital Cameras, (Etc) At Affordable Prices. This phones are unlocked and can be used with any SIM card. No activation required This phones are brand new original with complete accessories, accompanied with 12 month international warranty. Contact us today for your order at our marketing email : Email : telecom2010ukltd@gmail.com Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB��.$240 HTC Google Nexus One����$200 HTC HD2������$300 Nokia N97 .......

Copying rows from Subsidiary Files to a Master File
Hi Have a problem here at work. I need to copy multiple rows from single sheet from 5 subsidiary files into a master sheet in a maste file. Before, I was just required to copy from within the same file an Merjet helped by providing: Sub Combine() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim iRow1 As Long Dim iRow2 As Long Dim iCol As Integer iRow1 = Sheets("Master").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row For Each ws In Worksheets If ws.Name <> "Master" Then Debug.Print ws.Name iRow2 = 1 Do Until ws.Cells(iRow2, "B") = "" If ws.Cells(iRow2, "A") = "...

Master calendar
I am trying to set up Outlook 2003 for use in my home so my husband and I can stop entering things twice and ending up with some correct information in one place and outdated information in the other. What I would like to do is to be able to sync the input of information. In other words, if I schedule a commitment in tmy calendar I would like that information to also appear in my husband's calendar. Additionally, I would love to do the same thing with our contacts as well. Is this possible? Stephanie <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to set up...

Subdocuments is always collapsed when opening the masterdoc
I saved a masterdocument with all the subdocuments expanded. When I reopen the masterdoc, the subdocuments are always collapsed however. As I want to distribute this file and I am afraid that not everybody is used to working with subdocuments, I want the subdocuments to appear automatically expanded in the masterdocument. Kind regards, Robrecht As far as I know, you cannot change that behavior. More importantly, though, the master document feature in Word causes document corruption; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm. For a safer approach, u...

My selections are locked--how do I unlock them?
I'm using Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and the bottom of my page says that my selections are locked. This happens when I try to do anything. The only thing I can do is open a document, but it won't let me type or copy or anything like that. Also, little paragraph symbols have appeared all over my page. Is it a trial copy that has expired? If so, time to buy. Is it a retail copy that hasn't been actived? "ChikiMongo" <ChikiMongo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B791BF17-B602-4297-9AED-FB3FF4F976D9@microsoft.com... : I'm...

auto generate sheets in a workbook from list using a master sheet
i need to automaticly generate time cards using a name list from the name sheet and the master timecard sheet so it will put the all the info from the name sheet into the cells of the master and change the tab name to the name on the list so they can input their own times onto the sheet and do this for the names on the list. Carl, If I understand you have a list of names on a sheet called names and you want to add a worksheet for each name. Try this which assumes the names are in A1 to A7 so change to suit Sub Add_Sheets() Dim MyRange As Range Set MyRange = Sheets("N...

How do I combine two long publisher docs with same master view?
I have two 50-page documents in Publisher that use the same master view/setup and I want to combine them into one book. I shouldn't have to be inserting pages and creating text boxes. Dennis H wrote: > I have two 50-page documents in Publisher that use the same master > view/setup and I want to combine them into one book. I shouldn't > have to be inserting pages and creating text boxes. ================================= Maybe the following article will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://msauer.mvps.org/combining_publisher_documents.htm -- John Inze...

Unlocking Cells
Hi, I'd like to know if there's a simple way to unlock or lock cells. I'm not sure if "Lock" is the correct term here. For example, if you have a formula that has C$14. Is there an easy way to unlock (remove the "$") from the formula or to ad it without manually doing it? Thanks for your help! Lisa You can use a macro to change the reference style (absolute vs relative), but you can also do it manually. Select the portion of the formula (just a single cell reference or the entire formula if you want) and hit the F4 key to cycle through all 4 options. lj ...

Unlock [all]? or unlock [associated]
I currently use OneNote 2007. With SEARCH capability, I often am faced with the message "x amount found, y amount in locked notebooks that must be unlocked to view." Well, that sounds great. Until, that is, you are faced with 100 sections you have to unlock- not knowing which ones contained the information means you have to unlock each. One Note SHOULD allow a user to: 1) Unlock All locked notebooks (Perhaps with a master password.) 2) Unlock associated sections / notebooks (If you have two passwords, entering one will unlock all of the notebooks that use that passwor...

Unlock
How do I unlock a file? When I try to do something with a certain file, I get the message: "Locked for editing by another user Read only, Notify, Cancel" No one is using the file. Please help, Thank uou, Ed English Are you the only user? If yes and you're running winNT (or higher), close excel and try alt-ctrl-delete. Click on processes and see if you have a hidden instance of excel running. If yes, kill it. And then check to see if that fixed it. If you're running xl9*, you could reboot to kill that hidden process. And Debra Dalgleish has a tip at: http://www.cont...

Taborder with unlocked cells in protected worksheets
Excel 2003, sp2 Hi, When you lock cells in a worksheet you can jump between the unlocked cells using the TAB key. Is there any way to influence the tab order (without having to use a lot of code)? Regards Pete When using the unlocked cells method your order can only be left to right and top to bottom. There are other methods...........one of which is using a named range with no protection. See Bob Phillips' site for this method. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html Other methods would use VBA code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:46:34 +0100, ...

How to Unlock
I just created my first Excel Worksheet that is anything more then a simple list. This project is also among my first Excel projects. After creating, I put it on our server in our shared documents file, which has beome a very successful and unconfusing way for us to share our documents. This time however, this project says it is locked and can only be opened by others as Read Only - a problem that didn't exist in any of the other projects I've created. I've searched Help as well as this forum and the General forum for ideas about how to unlock the project and so far not disc...

subform within subform On Main for Child master link question
I have a Main form with the following fields based on a table/query Manname(know shouldn't be primary key) but only 42 employees that how it has been for years phone, position (so 42 records on Main form) subform 1 WeekEndDate ie. 3/14/2010,3/21/2010 weeks end on Sunday(so 52 Weeks)- for now the LInk child to Master(is set at ManName)-even though manname not directly on This subform - thinking it is grabbing the link from subform subform2 Inside subform 1 WeekEndDate(linked to subform1 child-master), Workdate(so 6 days within one week that work) Manname I think wh...

SafeArrayTypeMismatchException"
Hi .NET Masters :-) Please help me to get out of following situation ... There is a function in one of my dlls whose signature is as follows : my_function(integer X, integer Y, char* Z, HAD A, HAD P) Here HAD is defined as follows in one of the header files as : #define HAD LPSAFEARRAY FAR * The above dll was written in VC++ 6.0 . I use to call this function in my Visual Basic 6.0 application. Recently , I upgraded my Visual Basic application and found that its giving "SafeArrayTypeMismatchException" Declaration for my Function is as follows : Declar...

Reapplying Notest Master not working
I've tried this in PP2007 & PP2010 RC. I have a handful of decks where I've modified the notes master to include new headers and footers. However many random slides in the decks aren't using the master. I've tried to visit each one and apply the notes master, but in some cases one of the following happens: (1) nothing happens, (2) only the slide & notes field get updated, the footers & headers don't change. Is there a way to say "blow away all customizations to the notes page use the notes master for everything" ??? Seems like this should be a...

Controls Lock/UnLock Password To Prompt only when UnLocking
Hi, I've used Allen Browne's Locking bound control codes (http://allenbrowne.com/ser-56.html) to prevent overwriting data accidentally and it works fine. After browsing the newsgroup, I now have this on the onClick event of command button called cmdLock Dim bLock As Boolean If InputBox("Enter password!", "Password Required") <> "password" Then Exit Sub bLock = IIf(Me.cmdLock.Caption = "&Lock", True, False) Me.cmdLock.Caption = IIf(bLock = True, "&UnLock", "&Lock") Call...

Excel file locked for editing by 'my name' ! How do I unlock?
I want to copy a file to CD. Machine won't do it because of error. "Facility Schedule-Staff visits 1-8-05.xls is locked for editing by Margie (that's me) .. Open read only or click 'Notify to open read-only and receive notification when the document is no longer in use." How do I give myself to unlock? Microsoft Professional 2003, Excel. And you don't think you're in the file in excel? This FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's may help: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly Dawgtired wrote: > > I want to copy a file to CD. Machine won't do ...

unlock file
Learning Publisher 2003. Newletter file locked on full. Can't get in or recover. How? catears wrote: > Learning Publisher 2003. Newletter file locked on full. > Can't get in or recover. How? ============================= Is this a file you saved and re-opened? What format is it saved in? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled Is it a merge file? Is it a "read only" file? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "catears" <catears@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C...

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Slide ~Masters
Hi hope some one can help I set up a Slide master for a PPT 2007 Presentation and had someone else create the sides. I am not sure how, but they seem to have created 155 slides without any one them having the slide master used. Is there any way that I can retrospectively apply the slide master to these slides. I have looked in Help but done seem to be able to see how to so this. Thanks Alex I'm assuming that when you created your Slide Masters, you saved it as a template. If so then it is just a matter of applying your template to the slides. -- Michael Koern...

how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro.
how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. "Daniel" wrote: > how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. > e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. > Do you want file protection or just workbook or worksheet protection? ...

Find & Replace within Unlocked Cells in a Protected Worksheet
Hi Does anyone know how I can allow users to execute Find & Replace actions on unlocked cells within a protected worksheet? Other cells on the worksheet are locked. Best regards Dave Maybe you could give the users a macro that gets the info to change and then unprotects and changes the unlocked cells--then reprotects. There are lots of options when you do the edit|replace. I chose my favorites settings. If you want support all the options that excel's edit|Replace dialog supports, you could build a userform that collects all that information. (Or you could just assume that th...