Unable to open .DOC file. FILE DOWNLOAD box appears

Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files
from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open
any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I get
the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up
again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes
when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.) I
have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem.
Any suggestions for a quick fix in the meantime?

See if the information in the article "How to re-register Word when problems
crop up opening files” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

overcomes the problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"stan lowtech" <stanlowtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files
> from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open
> any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I
> get
> the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up
> again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes
> when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.)
> have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem.
> Any suggestions for a quick fix in the meantime?

0
Doug

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Unable to open calendar

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Mail Box Size #2
Hi All, I have a user with a 6 gig + mailbox. We are using Exchange 2003 (enterprise) and Outlook 2003. He is now experiancing problems with the program running like a slug. It doesn't appear to be locking up, just taking for ever to do everything. He claims it was fine until front page crashed, which took the computer down (needing a re-boot) and outlook hasnt' worked right since. So what I have done, is delete the profile and recreate, appear to work for me, but now is locked up again. The auto archive does not appear to removing items from the mailbox. Does anyone hav...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

unable to scroll the page

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Text box scroll from record to record
Hi, I have a screen that shows records from a table. Next to each record is a command button to edit each record. If I click on the edit button a new window opens showing the fields for the record selected. In that window I have a text box. Sometimes, if I'm in that text box and scroll using the wheel on the mouse the data displayed will change from record to record from my table. Can someone tell my why this is happening? I'm running Access 2000 Thanks, -- Phil Its an annoying feature of Access, which while occasionally useful, is more often a PITA. You'll...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

Event ID 3009 A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.1.0 appears randomly.
Exchange 2003 mail enabled Public Folder randomly don't receive e-mail from external sender, when it happens sender receives error : --------------------------------------------- Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxx@xxx.com Action: failed Status: 5.1.0 --------------------------------------------- Sometimes all work ok. Error in Application log : --------------------------------------------- Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: (8) Event ID: 3009 Date: 2005.12.21 Time: 11:43:32 User: N/A Computer: MailServerName Description: The description for Event ID ( 3009 ...

Why can't I open any email jokes that friends send me with excel
I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I can't open them why? 1. Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? 2. What is the extension of the attachments with the jokes? Is it somejoke.XLS ? I never heard of Excel being a joke transporter but who knows? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:54:00 -0700, Leona <Leona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I >can't open them why? Its because Excel is only for serious work except, of c...

Unable to conect

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...

MSXML6 C++ unable to locate node