Typing over text on Word 2003

Hi - when I type in the middle of a word it types over the following text
instead of just adding or deleting. This has only just started happening -
how can I stop it? Thanks

Press the Insert key again.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Tomh4530" <Tomh4530@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - when I type in the middle of a word it types over the following text
> instead of just adding or deleting. This has only just started happening -
> how can I stop it? Thanks

0
Suzanne
1/4/2010 8:25:10 PM
Or click Tools | Options... and clear the 'Overtype mode' checkbox on the
Edit tab or double click OVR in the status bar at the bottom of the document
window - although just pressing the Insert key as Suzanne has instructed
will have the same effect.

Note, however, that the status bar does provide a useful visual cue: OVR
will be enabled (the letters will be dark) in overtype mode.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Press the Insert key again.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Tomh4530" <Tomh4530@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi - when I type in the middle of a word it types over the following text
>> instead of just adding or deleting. This has only just started
>> happening -
>> how can I stop it? Thanks

0
Gordon

Convert an ODT file to Word 2003
How do I convert an ODT file to Word? I currently have Word 2003. You need to use the OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in See http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/ -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Benjamin" <Benjamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:878B37D9-99E7-45BB-8027-EDE7DA689815@microsoft.com... > How do I convert an ODT file to Word? > > I currently have Word 2003. On Nov 24, 2:18=A0pm, "Dou...

Pie of Pie Chart type with smaller pie showing slices of main slic
Hi How can I do the following: Lets say I have the following labels and data For the main pie I have A,B,C labels with A =5, B =10, and C =20. So my main pie would show 3 slices with C being the largest slice. To do this I highlight the 3 labels and their data and choose Insert, Pie, Pie in a Pie to show a main pie on the left with 3 slices and a smaller solid pie to the right with series lines connectiing them. I want to show the solid smaller pie on the right in several slices to show how the C slice of 20 is broken down. lets say the main slice C of 20 is made up ...

Typing in macros
I have made a few macros and use them in word and excel 2000. When I see typed out macros on the message boards I am not quite sure how to use them. Do I go into the editor, type them in and then link them with a button on the toolbar? What module do I put them in and is there one for the personal worksheet. I have been struggling with the syntax of Visual Basics for years. Just need a step by step explanation. Thank You Sue In general, the macros you see in the groups are likely to be ordinary macros that will go into a general module in the VBE, eg:- Hit ALT+F11 and this will...

Dcount with Text
I would like to use the something like the database count function DCOUNT to count the number of cells with specific text. For instance, in a database of schools, how many schools have electricity with the options being "HAVE" and "DOESN'T HAVE". I know I could manually add a column with 1s or 0s to achieve this, but is there away to do this with text?? Thanks =COUNTIF(range,"HAVE") Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:52:20 -0500, "ChuckN" <Chuck@newmanArchitecture.com> wrote: >I would like to use the something lik...

how do i work with column header in visio 2003? is this a table?
column header in visio 2004 is a table or just a blank page? ...

Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types?
Hi, I am getting the above error message everytime I try to insert a chart or any type into a completely blank presentation using either the Insert, Chart command or the Insert Chart button in the Title and Content slide layout. I am using 2007. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Shane Devenshire Try running Office Diagnostics, Shane. Open PPT or Excel, hit the Office button, then <app> Options | Resources. I think that may resolve this issue. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007...

Publisher will not print, but Word and EXCEL do
I have a printer problem using MS Office Publisher 2003. My friend just installed a Brother MFC-3820CN USB printer to his Windows XP Home (V2002 SP2) computer. He can print from his Word and EXCEL (2003) programs, but not his Publisher (2003 SP1) program. When the “Print” function is selected in Publisher, the following message appears: “A printer has not been installed on the system. Install a printer for Publisher to use. The fonts in your publication may look different as a result of the printer selection.” The printer functions fine in all the other programs. Currently, Publisher ...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Full-Text Indexing performance
I've read where Microsoft recommends rebuilding your FTI once per week. However, I have one server with a 100GB information store & the FTI only indexes about 1.5-2GB per hour. If you do the math you'll see it's not feasable to reindex every week. The server is a brand-new Dell 2600 with dual P-IV 2.8 GHz CPU's, 3GB RAM and a dedicated mirrored set of drives for the FTI (system & transaction logs share a mirrored set & the databases are on a RAID-5 array). It's running Win2K3 & E2K3 (not SP1). The server only has about 70 mailboxes on it. Also, the over...

Rectification of wrong posting type
Hi There is one PL account say "Mic Expenses" has got wrong posting type "Balance sheet", when we closed the year 2005 ,System has brought forward the balance of that account into next year 2006, which otherwise should have been gone into the Retain Earning of 2006, is there any option to rectify this error, other then passing rectifying JV in 2005(coz in that case if I take last year TB then ending balance of this account would be Zero) or restoring the backup and doing closing procedure again. Thanks in Advance Shabnam There is a Article ID for this in partner s...

2003 SPAM filters not working!!!
I have installed Outlook 2003 at home and at work. I use exchange at both places. At work, Outlook is doing an AWESOME job filtering out SPAM. I have the filter set to 'high' and it gets everything! At home, it gets nothing! I have the same filter settings and EVERYTHING gets through! what's up? I instaled them the same way! As a matter of fact, I am using the same 'free trail' CD for both!! HELP! Andrew ps - To make matters worse, I made the mistake of using my real email in a Microsoft Newsgroup! D'Oh! Now I have gotten over 300 of those "MS Update"...

Duplicating Text To Another Spreadsheet
I created a form in Word, cut and pasted it into Excel on three different spreadsheets. How can I format the spreadsheet to copy text to the other two spreadsheets without having to enter text three different times? Please advise and thank you in advance Check out Excel help on "select multiple sheets" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:14:17 -0700, "The Inquirer" <sonymw@msn.com> wrote: >I created a form in Word, cut and pasted it into Excel on three different >spreadsheets. >How can I format the spreadsheet to copy text to the oth...

need help to declard type=IntType instead type="xsd:int" with xml schema
Hi, I am writing C# code to produce xml schema. //Create attribute XmlSchemaAttribute att2 = new XmlSchemaAttribute(); att2.Name = "CustomerID"; att2.SchemaTypeName = new XmlQualifiedName("int",schemaNS); att2.Use = XmlSchemaUse.Required; ct.Attributes.Add(att2); I need to produce schema with custom data type instead of the xsd:string or xsd:int The code above will produce the following schema <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" version="1.0" xmlns:xsd=...

Text Box Formatting

Telephony problem in Outlook 2003 sp2
Been using outlook and telephony on xp sp1 for sometime now saves hitting the wrong keys on the phone occaisionally I get "another program is using the selected telephony device" of course I'm unaware of any other device, and there's no item that covers this in either xp help or outlook help when I look at cp/phone&modem/modems I get generic soft 56 and in /advanced there are 6 items listed, incl 3 from ms any idea how to solve this? ...

Scatterplots with different colors based on Type of Data
Is it possible to plot a scatterplot with different colors for 2 sets of data? E.g Type of Agreement MRP Discount% Limited 10 5% UnLimited 20 10% I want to show different colors for Limited & Unlimited. Is it possible to plot scatterplots on both axis(Primary & Secondary) Please let me know. Thanks, Satish If I use this range to make a chart Limited 10 5% Unlimited ...

neededing to make text pivot table if possible
I need to look at my employees names & the job they did on each particular day. Maybe something similar to the pivot table could help. Something that I could pull one persons name and every date & the job they did I could easily see. Or I could pull the job title and I could see the data that way. Is there a way to put this information into the spreadsheet in a certain way where some formula can help me?? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Jewels, If you show how your data is set out it may help to advise you. If you're staring from scratch, I'd make sure th...

outlook type interface
I have an SDI application and want to change it so I have a split window, on the left I want a TreeControl above a 'PropertyGrid' control. Then my exisiting SDI Client in the space on the right Can anyone point in the right direction to achieve this Any help will be much appreciated Thanks Phil You need to use two CSplitterWnds (as members of your CMainFrame). Override CMainFrame::OnCreateClient and create a vertical splitter as the main child (i.e. 1 row, 2 cols). Then you want to create a horz splitter as a child of the left-hand pane of the main splitter (which has 2 rows, 1 c...

'Selection too large' message in Excel 2003
When I fill down or copy and paste formats only, I continue to get a 'Selection too large' popup. It's happened on several different spreadsheets over a few weeks, so it's not an isolated incident. The PC I work from (a P4-2.8, 512MB RAM) was upgraded recently, as was Excel 2003, and I don't remember this being an issue using Excel 97 on a P4-2.4, 256MB system which I had prior to the upgrade. Also, we're running Windows 2000 on a Novell network. My config.sys has the following lines which may have some or no bearing on the problem: Files=40 Buffers=40 Stac...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

Reinstalling outlook 2000 after removing office 2003 beta
I tried Office 2003 beta for 6 months. After reinstalling Office 2000, Outlook 2000 quits at first load attempt. Reinstalling Office 2000, running Norton tools, cleaning registery, etc. does not help. Any suggestion? Error messages?? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Michel asked: | I tried Office 2003 beta for 6 months. After | reinstalling Office 2000, Outlook 2000 quits...

VSTO Excel 2003 to VB 6.0 Type mismatch
Hi, I have an Addin 2003 Application. In this Application I'm calling an VB 6.0 Dll and I send Excel Application Object as Parameter. In VB Project I'm using Workbook_Open event with WithEvents. I have a messagebox there. Unfortunately when i call VB dll , I get this Error Message -- > Type mismatch. Is there any Idea? Code in VS2008 : private Project1.Class1 vbapp; private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { #region VSTO generated code this.Application = (Excel.Application)Microsoft....

predictive typing of addressee
I am frequently sending sensitive email to a person who has a very common name. More than once I have almost sent the email to the wrong party because of the Outlook feature that predicts the addressee name. Does anyone know how to eliminate names from the dropdown list that appears as you type tha addressee name? Or is there a way to stop addressee names from appearing automatically as you type in the "To" field. Any help will be appreciated. joanne Use arrow keys to highlight error address, then hit Delete Btn Do you use Contacts?, hitting the 'To' Btn will bri...

convert text to numbers #3
I have negative numbers in my worksheet that are text such as –6.90%. I try converting them to number using the paste special multiple or add and they stay as text. When I sort the columns in descending order they continue to come out as text and right justified. could it be the the negative sign is not a real negative sign. –6.90% –5.61% –5.37% –35.80% Hi Copy one minus-sign Select the range with values. Check, that range is formatted as numeric or general. Replace all minus-signs with "-". It's done! (you had there 'long -', which you get when you enter double ...

Outlook 2003 Attachment Filter Settings.
Hi, I am trying to block EXE file types, and I just cannot seem to find the security template or whatever it happens to be called. I'd like be able to specify the types of attachments that are blocked. Also, how can I enable/disable the blocking???? thanks!!! -cseeger Do you mean the Administrative option that requires an Exchange server, if so check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm#tools "cseeger" <cseeger@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:Xns94D0774F867ECcseegerinteractivede@207.46.248.16... > Hi, I am trying to block EXE file types, and ...